• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think singleplayer games should focus more on gameplay?

• Yes, storytelling is great but gameplay should always be #1.

Votes: 699 24.2%
  • Yes, I'm sick of singeplayer games trying to be $60 movies.

Votes: 487 16.9%
  • No, I think singleplayer games should focus more on storytelling.

Votes: 150 5.2%
  • No, singleplayer games are all about the story and I would rather have no gameplay than no story.

Votes: 42 1.5%
  • Why not both?

Votes: 1,506 52.2%

• Total voters

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Singleplayer games are the reason why I'm into video games. It's my passion, it's my childhood. I am making this thread cause I care about them and want them to be better.

I feel like modern singleplayer games focus way too much on story telling, which is a shame because a lot of them actually has really great gameplay. Take The Last of Us as example, it has one of my favorite survival horror gameplay of all time, and yet you spend very little time in the game actually playing its gameplay, most of the time you're playing its story. It's a shame, everytime I try to replay The Last of Us for its gameplay I have to sit through literally half-hours of story, talking and walking. I agree the story is amazing but I already know the story, and now it's literally getting in the way of gameplay, the story itself is literally blocking the gameplay half of the time.

Seriously, wouldn't it be great to have a game like The Last of Us that's 99% gameplay focused?
Imagine if the majority of the game is just gameplay(with exploration, puzzles and unique boss fights etc). Even the story happens during gameplay. Wouldn't that be great?

I probably sound like an old man saying this (I'm only 23 btw) but I really miss the good old days where singleplayer games are just 99% gameplay, even the story is told alongside the gameplay instead of feeling like a different part of the game. Take Half-Life 2 for example, the entire story is being told while the player is in control, that's fucking incredible. Sure there're still some story moments where it's mostly just characters talking to you but you never lost your control during those moments. You can still sprint, jump, fire you gun like you should be able to. Most games these days don't let you do that anymore, they treat story moments like it's some fucking movie premiere and refuse to let player control their character normally cause they want them to ''enjoy the story properly'' as if it's a movie.

Why can't developers just give player full control all the time during ''gameplay''? Why is that suddenly a bad thing? Why are players being treated like they are dumb little kids?

Just look at the first chapter of God of War, the gameplay is so fucking amazing that there's really no reason to restrict player's movement during it's first chapter, and yet for some reason you are forced to slow walk and not do anything a lot of time (you also can't run until the tutorial shows up during the first boss fight), it's weird cause the rest of the game honestly plays amazing and give players enough freedom to...well....play. I feel like in some ways the first chapter of God of War is a parody on shitty modern game design that's overly cinematic & restricting while the rest of the game is the real game. I am glad the majority of the game is very gameplay focused though, this is exactly why GOW is my GOTY.

Back to the topic, I don't get why modern singleplayer games sometimes just don't let the player play the goddamn game, I appreciate a good story but good storytelling shouldn't have to come at the expense of sacrificing gameplay or player control.

If Resident Evil 4 was made in 2018 every time something big happens it would turn into this slow walk cinematic moment, like you just rescued Ashley for the first time and now the game is forcing you to walk slowly next to her so Leon and Ashley can have some conversation. That's modern singleplayer design for you.

TL;DR

I respect developers trying to tell a great story but can you please let me enjoy the fucking gameplay?
Everytime I try to replay a modern singleplayer game It always turns into this situation of ''Which boring chapter should I skip? Which chapter has the most gameplay? Well shit I think there's not a single chapter in this game that's 100% gameplay...*sigh*''

I know this picture is supposed to be a joke but it's honestly more accurate than you think in 2018/2019.

HkixxZ7.jpg

As others mentioned earlier, Bethesda games are amazing in this regard. (Prey, Dishonored, TES, Fallout, RAGE, DOOM etc.)

It's almost like they prioritize gameplay over cinematics. Unbelievable, I know right?

Again, the reason why I'm making the thread is because most games are the exact opposite of Bethesda games. Especially when it comes to the way they tell stories.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the balance is pretty good right now to be honest. Most of the story heavy games have good to great gameplay to support them.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP I think you'll find that there are lots of single player games released every year that have "gameplay" as "the main focus."

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
where is the, "i like the blend of story and gameplay as it is" option

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. God of War and Spider-man most recently seem pretty gameplay-focused while having very involved, long storylines.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who said? Because one game comes out like Red Dead 2, suddenly gameplay no longer matters in all singleplayer games? The fuck outta here.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
What kind of shitty poll is this? I definitely want both and I feel like Spiderman and GOW provided both.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the poll option to have sp games that focus a lot on Story and others that focus on gameplay? Not all sp games need the same focus.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think it's pointless to refer to 'singleplayer' games as one solid entity that all have to follow a specific focus.

Some single player games excel via narrative. Others via game design. Others via other elements. It isn't a binary choice.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Should video games have good gameplay? Yes. That's the reason I play games. And that's also the reason I don't play some games.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Games can be whatever they want to be. There is no "should" or "shouldn't" for any of them. I like games with lots of cutscenes and also some that are mostly just gameplay.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of feel the same way about radio. Like every station seems to play the same filtered list of songs with maybe a few different ones here and there to differentiate just enough from the other (even though I know the vast majority of them are owned by one or two companies). There don't seem to be that many risks, and you have to look elsewhere (I guess the analogy here would be the AA and indie spaces) to get things that are more experimental, exciting, and different. That being said, I am a single-player only person, and I still enjoy the big AAA games like Spider-Man, Uncharted, God of War. I'm glad we are at a point where there is so much variety and choice, even though the lion's share of the focus remains on the heavy hitters.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As someone who grew up playing point and click adventures which is just story and puzzles, story always trumps gameplay for me. That's not to say that I don't enjoy games that are pure gameplay but I like to feel invested in a game than it just being fun to play.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
and yea i dont get this thread, the fact games have good stories doesnt mean they cant have fun gameplay. God of War and Spiderman are some of the most fun games i had played this year and they also have amazing story at the same time.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
*Using that stupid and completely inaccurate image from 4chan*

And opinion discarded...

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
lol, what a ridiculous poll.
this reads like "just do what i like, everything else is wrong". using that image does you no favors too. you cant admit the ridiculousness of it and then say it's actually good.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Things like Red Dead Redemption 2 lean too hard into story and wind up crippling the entire gameplay experience because of it, that needs to stop for sure. Meanwhile, I think stuff like The Last of Us or (ironically enough) the first Red Dead Redemption tell fantastic stories without forsaking gameplay.

I think we have definitley gone overboard in some spots and RDR2's success is only going to further that, unfortunately.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think Horizon Zero Dawn does a lot in the gameplay department despite being highly cinematic.

With difficulty up especially, it is awesome to dodge, evade, and attack with the bow in that game. It feels dynamic and the most authentic to that survival experience with authentic like animal behaviors.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
That's probably the most biased poll ever. I have difficulty understanding why a game can't have both? Also, both types of games that focus on gameplay and also focus story can co exist. They don't have to be one or the other. It's kinda baffling to just want one type.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
OP, what are some games that you consider doing it right? I was baffled at you using God of War as an example of doing this poorly, I feel like one of the most celebrated aspects of that game is how it weaves together strong storytelling with deep, engaging gameplay.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with this. Get your systems right, nail the controls, the gameplay and put a story around them. Crackdown is a great example of how to do this.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't really understand the point you're trying to make with HL2. Like yeah, technically you can run around and hit stuff with your crowbar and crouch jump onto filing cabinets during the several sections of the game that just lock you in a room for 3-5 minutes while talking heads drop exposition on you, but what's the functional difference between that and the game cutting to a cutscene other than the latter lets the developers actually apply directorial touches because they know exactly what your perspective will be.

If pointless, braindead interaction is all it takes for you to be able to put up with a story section, may I suggest investing in a fidget spinner to mess around with during downtime in first party Sony games?

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a stealth Red Dead thread, right?

I agree that Red Dead is garbage, but most other SP games I've played recently had great gameplay.

GoW
Spider-Man
HZD
Super Mario Odyssey
AssCreed
Many more...

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
There is no place in The Last of Us that has 30 minutes with no gameplay. Lol did you actually play it? I'm struggling to think of places where there were more than 5 minutes between gameplay sections.

Also these options are kind of crap. It's all just "there must be no storytelling or only storytelling in a game."

We are getting closer and closer to a strong blend of both in the high quality games. TLOU, God of War, Yakuza are all series that I consider very strong in gameplay and storytelling.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I agree that we have many walks and stairs and that take a good amount of time. This is why I hate U4 while I thought the gameplay was the best TPS ever. Just play Yakuza 0, the amount of content to do with the side quests while the game give to you a good story is amazing.

Nevertheless, this does not mean that gaming has changed, it is just that some games prioritize different things

Last edited:

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Here's a map from DOOM 2016.

map_1678.jpg

OP I never wanna see you post that trash meme pic ever again.

You want all gameplay, no story. Other people want a mix of story and gameplay, that's why its popular. The good thing about modern gaming is there's dozens of games releasing every month to cater to every flavour and many of them have no story or cutscenes.

Cherry picking a cinematic story focused game like God of War doesn't mean modern gaming is ruined.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Uh... this depends on what the game is trying to achieve. You can have games that emphasize narrative/story and other games that emphasize gameplay. There's room for both types of games.

And OP, you're off your rocker if you think TLoU isn't heavy in gameplay focus.

Edit:
What are these poll options??? Things aren't so binary.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Worse voting options I've ever seen on Era. They don't have to be one way or the other.

Nov 30, 2017
I don't really dissect a game piece by piece.

It's all important individually, gameplay, story, music, characters, graphics, art, etc...

I rank GoW barely ahead of Spiderman despite the face I liked SM gameplay better. GoW story was too powerful.

When I play a game though I view it as the whole package overall instead of anything individual.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Kind of a controversial topic..

I don't think it's as much of a problem on PC from a gameplay perspective as it has such a huge library of games available from heavy story driven experiences to more gameplay focused experiences like the most recent crosscode on PC that released last September (buy it).

On consoles it's mostly about the triple a experience, I think and I do agree things tend to be more story driven but the numbers don't lie and most of the games that are releasing specifically on consoles are indeed heavily story driven.

It's all a matter of taste but I do prefer games that lean more on gameplay than story.. unless we talking about jrpgs but as you can see I could go on and on.