• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Let's avoid derailing this thread with discussions on whether this counts as pedophilia or ephebophilia, as these arguments serve only to distract from the seriousness of the subject. Any further posts that disrespect this will be actioned appropriately.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46353045

A Florida man has been charged after he was allegedly overheard raping a teenage girl during a gaming session, US media report.

Reports say Daniel Enrique Fabian, 18, was playing Grand Theft Auto earlier this year when he allegedly assaulted a 15-year-old girl during a game break.

Another player told police that Mr Fabian left a microphone on, and he heard a female in distress saying "no".

The alleged victim told police she was held down and raped by Mr Fabian.

The assault is said to have occurred in June at Mr Fabian's home in New Port Richey, western Florida.

Reports claim he made a lewd comment about having sex with a girl he had coming over, before he returned to game-play about 15 minutes later

What an absolute piece of shit

Edit: The title is from the BBC article, however I added the word "online" via a helpful mod to make the context clearer

Edit 2
:

Maybe this should be added to the OP:

"News Channel 8 has learned that Fabian is also charged with raping another teen on June 4th, weeks before the most recent case..

"He was arrested in June for another case involving a different 15-year-old girl, where he allegedly raped her in his home as well," said Kevin Doll, Pasco Sheriff's Office spokesman."

https://www.wfla.com/news/pasco-cou...eard-on-playstation-4-deputies-say/1619400469

How the hell wasn't he in jail already?

Last edited:

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Wow I was not expecting that. When I saw the title I thought he was playing GTA and some neighbour heard it and thought it was real so he got arrested.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's disgusting. However, the title doesn't make it clear enough I'd say, I thought he was overheard playing GTA and people mistook it as him raping someone from the title.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wow I was not expecting that. When I saw the title I thought he was playing GTA and some neighbour heard it and thought it was real so he got arrested.

That's disgusting. However, the title doesn't make it clear enough I'd say, I thought he was overheard playing GTA and people mistook it as him raping someone from the title.

I used the title from the source, but I can see where you're coming from, I'll try and think of a better one

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Guys, why are we arguing semantics in this thread.

I hope the girl is alright. Props to the people reporting him, I'm happy to hear that some people take the chance of being embarrassed if their suspicions turn out wrong for the chance to help someone in distress.
If you see (hear) something, say something. Sometimes bad things ARE actually happening. Too much shit goes by tolerated because people don't want to stir the pot.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good on the people who heard it and did something about it. Sorry if the article answers this already, but how'd they find him irl? Players contact police, police contact Microsoft or Sony or whoever, and they give them their address according to billing info or something?

Kamion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I don't know what you're trying to do here. :")

I think what he's trying to say: if it was a consensual relationship would you be as disgusted with it? It's three years. In the teen years personally I think the line is kinda blurry.

So the main problem isn't the age or that he's a "pedophile" but just the fact that it's rape.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think what he's trying to say: if it was a consensual relationship would you be as disgusted with it? It's three years. In the teen years personally I think the line is kinda blurry.

So the main problem isn't the age or that he's a "pedophile" but just the fact that it's rape.

I never said the problem is the age. I just called that rapist a fuckin pedophile, because he's a 18 years old guy who took advantage of his age to rape a younger girl.

Edit: Btw in Florida, age of consent means under that age, you cant... consent. So when I'm calling this guy a pedophile, that comes, obviously, with the fact that he's a rapist. Dunno what that poster was trying, but that's nitpicking af.

TheCreationTS

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
London
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory thread derailment, aggressive pedantry surrounding sexual assault, history of misogyny and handwaving allegations of abuse
He might be a teenager but he's still a man. Also he's a legal adult and should be treated as such.

(Also the title says "Gamer"?)

18 and above = legally speaking an adult and therefore a man/woman.

In the USA and Canada, 18 is considered an adult.
Well i don't care about what law says.
In general he's only a teenager. That's why they say "EighTEEN"
Using a MAN name for this person is not correct. Of course in a trial they will treat him as adult but in general speaking that's misleading.

Oct 27, 2017
That's fucked up. Glad they got this trash.

Why do they call him a man when he's only 18 though?

Well, this is written by the BBC and here in the UK people are legally adults from age 18. Don't know if it's different pin the US.

Edit - never mind, this has already been discussed and answered.

Anyway, hope the poor girl is okay and I'm glad he was caught. Lock the fucker up and take away the prime years of his life.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
13-19: teenage time.
Not a man! Your title is wrong.

Using a MAN name for this person is not correct. Of course in a trial they will treat him as adult but in general speaking that's misleading.
w3Dt5ae.gif

OT: I'm glad the people that heard in reported him to the police, and I hope the girl is OK.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
If you see (hear) something, say something. Sometimes bad things ARE actually happening. Too much shit goes by tolerated because people don't want to stir the pot.

It isnt just that, but there is some type of psyc phenomena, which I forget the name of, where when someone hears something and they know there are others around, they tend not to do anything because they think other people will have already call the authorities. Sometimes that results in nobody calling.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Are man and teenager mutually exclusive? Man is used in the context of adult male, which doesn't necessarily have to mean someone who is 20 or older, since 18 is considered adult in the US.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It isnt just that, but there is some type of psyc phenomena, which I forget the name of, where when someone hears something and they know there are others around, they tend not to do anything because they think other people will have already call the authorities. Sometimes that results in nobody calling.

It's called diffusion of responsibility:

Diffusion of responsibility[1] is a sociopsychological phenomenon whereby a person is less likely to take responsibility for action or inaction when others are present. Considered a form of attribution, the individual assumes that others either are responsible for taking action or have already done so.[2] Assumption of responsibility tends to decrease when the potential helping group is larger, resulting in little aiding behavior demonstrated by the bystander(s)

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
13-19: teenage time.
Not a man! Your title is wrong.

I learned from various news outlets in the US that when the person that falls in the age group is a victim they are a teenager but when they commit the crime they are full grown adults that is about to get fucked from the justice system. In this case the getting fucked part by the justice system is well deserved.

Edit: but I do believe that once you hit 18 you are an adult

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, correctly calling this adult male an adult male is definitely the most notable thing about this story.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I updated the title slightly so it's hopefully a little clearer now

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Era users even going to argue over the semantics of the use of the word "man" in this article, huh?

Get a fucking hold of yourselves. He's an adult. Have some fucking sympathy with the poor girl who was assaulted.