• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Man, iam using this page since... i dont know the end of the 90s, and now they are going to be merged with metacritic.

I know, this was eventually coming, if you give this page a look, it still looks like a website from the 2000s.
But i have grown to like it and still preferred this over metacritic(because this is solely for games)
so yeah.
Saying goodbye.

EDIT: can someone make a mirror of this website? there is so much data, which is not existing elsewhere.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Woah

Edit: dat top 5 all systems is amazing.
d96.jpg

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They also have a lot of old games on there with reviews that metacritic doesn't have will metacritic get those?
They have snes game's etc

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember having to choose between two very garbage games I was interested in as a kid, but before hand I looked up "best games on ps2"

The latest hotness was FFX which had 90+ on game rankings. So I told my mom to get that one instead when she went for work. And that's how my addiction to RPGs began lol.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
They also have a lot of old games on there with reviews that metacritic doesn't have will metacritic get those?
They have snes game's etc

Yeah for older titles they track a lot more reviews than MC.

Also way quicker than MC. Easier to make custom searches too (like best fighting games of all time, or best PSP games of 2008).

Also MC has become close to unusable on desktop anymore; every time I visit they slap up a full video ad that takes up literally 60% of my monitor.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Sorting and finding games is so much easier than on Metacritic. Sucks to see it go.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually nice to visit a site I used to use regularly and find it hasn't had a terrible redesign.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I remember going on their forums (or was it GameFAQs?) a lot when I was young. Didn't even know they were related to Metacritic.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember the last time I visited Gamerankings. Still a shame to see it go.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
That's sad.

As others mentioned, they're sorting system (platform, year, genre, etc.) was unrivaled.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I still use Gamerankings frequently. Not only for new games, but also when looking for opinions on retro titles. Metacritic is extremely lousy in comparison, both in content and interface.

Nothing good lasts forever, I guess.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Kinda sad to see it go, but it's been rather useless the last decade.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
It sucks. GameRankings is a lot easier and quicker to navigate than MetaCritic. I visit that site every day, and I'll definitely not do the same with meracritic or opencritic.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm curious will it keep it's data and not get updated anymore, or will the entire site go under?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad, they were always superior to MC but couldn't get the wider audience to adopt them.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Bummer, Gamerankings is much more useful for an older stuff than any of the current aggregators, writing was on a wall for years tho, they barely had any reviews on new games.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I didn't know GameRankings and Metacritic were sister sites. Interesting.

It looks like OpenCritic is becoming the new Metacritic alternative.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I really like the site. Easy to use on mobile too lol

Also, Mario is king of video games lol

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
WAT NOE

DON'T!!

The only aggregate I've thoroughly enjoyed a perusal through since the dawn of sunflower seeds... merging into Metacritic?

*kicks conveniently placed can down hill* Dognabbit.

Before OpenCritic, GameRankings was the only public, highly accessible gaming aggregate in existence, one dedicated solely to the interactive entertainment industry. It's still the most comprehensive and to the point in the biz, particularly if you're looking for numbers and their crunched composites. Should have been put to use more often pro'lly, but whatevz. The past is the past. And now permanently so.

Lemonade. I give you, lemon.

If this does come to pass, you will be missed, Gamerankings. By the dozens and dozens, oh, oh.

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't feel like it was that long ago that this was the go-to site for game reviews, then seemingly overnight everyone switched to Metacritic. I don't remember when Metacritic added games, but I'd imagine they took over soon after that. I'd be curious to look at old OT threads on GAF and see when people started putting Metacritic in instead of Gamerankings. But not curious enough to go there. Also I had no idea Metacritic was a CBSi thing.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I remember it was Gamerankings what people cared about a long time ago, not metacritic. I wonder how the latter became the "defacto" review aggregator site.

spectator

Jan 23, 2018
Count me as another who will mourn its passing. It was inevitable the site get eaten, but it's still better than its competition.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
Man, the GR forums were the best. I remember my brother and I in the final voting round for best member on the forums lol. Back when there were FORUM CLANS. Miss the good ol days

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Also way quicker than MC. Easier to make custom searches too (like best fighting games of all time, or best PSP games of 2008).

Also MC has become close to unusable on desktop anymore; every time I visit they slap up a full video ad that takes up literally 60% of my monitor.

Unfortunately usability is not profitable, and in fact providing the easiest possible way to access the information you want the quickest is quite the opposite.

The more clicks it takes, the more time spent on a site, the more ads you see.

The web would have been better off if people actually embraced paying for access to web sites. The entire design of sites could change to be the most possible effective tool to get a user to pay, and not the most possible effective way for the visitor to spend time on the site viewing ads.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
oh man

Will all the old data migrate for older consoles and games? Metacritic seems like it has almost nothing prior to gen 6.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIP. very good site, but the writing was on the wall. they haven't been tracking most games for years now.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It's been a while since I've been to that site! I can definitely see why they're shutting down, though. All things come to an end, I guess.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
just looked and metacritic's "legacy" platforms only include one gen 5 console - PS1 - and otherwise is gen 6 and beyond. Unless there is a data migration happening, all other gen 5 and prior data is going to be lost :(

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hopefully Archive.org seems to have a perfect picture of the website. So, memories and reviews to games that aren't in Metacritics won't just *poof* out of existance.