• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. "Perhaps MAN was the real monster all along" is basically apocalypse fiction 101.

Scary_door_3.jpg

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You clearly didn't at first, you jump to question the article without even bothering reading it.

PS community loving a game and the doubts the game had from the initial reception does not take the praise away that BoTW got.
Sounds to me like you just wanted to take a shot at the title instead of actually reading and understanding the context, you know, like you should be doing.
yeah i read it after making that post. doesn't change the fact that the article's title (not your thread title) is clickbait.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
yeah i read it after making that post. doesn't change the fact that the article's title (not your thread title) is clickbait.
I'm not going to change the Author thread title to fit ERA sensibilities.

If a Mod thinks somehow the thread title is too much for people to handle it, then they should change it.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Great game, great story.

Just wish this piece had a bit more going for it than 'story good' and the bizarre idea that no other zombie game has focused on people before...

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Usual suspects hard at work.

It's an incredibly impactful game. We can only hope that Part II won't ruin the perfect ending of the first game.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I can certainly get behind the premise of the article, I feel like I could have done a better job in making the same point. That's not a piece I'd be proud of personally.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I mean really, we're just tripping over semantics at this point lol.

Not sure why this is even worth arguing to be honest. Unless you truly believe the game isn't widely beloved, for some reason?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also, it's because of the presentation TLOU is praised, in case you're wondering. Folk like their video games all cinematic and shit, looking like a movie with all of them animations and voice acting. Lo and behold, Naughty Doge is good at providing both of those things. There ya go, I answered the question for ya, now I am the games journalist.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Around 148k human beings out of 900k picked the game as their game of decades in just one site

This place: is it?

This forum is amazing.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I'll never understand the praise for TLOU. I think the Walking Dead had a stronger narrative just a few months prior and the gameplay in TLOU always felt like a chore to me. Not that TWD has good gameplay. U2 remains the best Naughty Dog game IMO

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It is definitely the best game not from Nintendo and was the best game on the PS3. I am not sure where I'd put it in comparison to some of those though. Not above them.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Gamers continue to astound me by accolades they give Naughty Dog. Like, they're not a bad developer. They're very talented at what they do. But what is with this constant over the top as to be false praise they get given?

Like, do these people experience literally anything beyond video games? Like love the game as much as you want but the subject matter isn't even remotely new or original.

Things don't need to be new or original to be beloved lol.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Gamers continue to astound me by accolades they give Naughty Dog. Like, they're not a bad developer. They're very talented at what they do. But what is with this constant over the top as to be false praise they get given?

Like, do these people experience literally anything beyond video games? Like love the game as much as you want but the subject matter isn't even remotely new or original.

Maybe it's because Naughty Dog has become arguably the best developer in the entire gaming industry..?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I'm part of the ''PS community'' but this whole self-elevating stuff can be unbearable at times.

Last of Us is an amazing game but it's in no way a groundbreaking achievement in writing or gameplay, there's no need to downplay other games as if they're all just mindless shooters. Way to ignore Telltale's Walking Dead's quality writing and characters just because it ain't part of the PS family.

To me it sounds like the person who wrote this article only ever played generic AAA games and this is the first time they experienced a good story.

If you ask me I'd say the writing in GOW2018 is overall better and more subtle, there are things you wouldn't get unless you're really paying attention or just happen to reflect on.
While Last of Us is more sad, thus more emotional, the writing is pretty straight forward and honestly not very unpredictable.

It's a fantastic 10/10 game, but it not the only 10/10 game, nor is it the best.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did you know Joel killed people for Ellie because Ellie reminded him of his daughter. You can tell this because at one point he calls her by his daughter's name, indicating that he looks at Ellie kind of like a daughter. This means Joel's character has developed a relationship with Ellie, even though before he was reluctant to do so, so his character has developed. So he went through character development.

Jorjk

Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Well deserved and cant wait for p2. The story really does elevate the game into so much more, and while gameplay wasnt as innovative, it was genuinly fun till the last encounter. Factions multiplayer also deserves a lot of praise.
I do believe that game as medium can be so much more than just fun combat, TLOU at least for me felt like a spiritual journey that changed me as a human being. For this reason it deserves the game of the decade. It took gaming into a whole new level.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
The absolute salt in this thread is real.

TLOU is one of the best video games ever made, period.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did you know Joel killed people for Ellie because Ellie reminded him of his daughter. You can tell this because at one point he calls her by his daughter's name, indicating that he looks at Ellie kind of like a daughter. This means Joel's character has developed a relationship with Ellie, even though before he was reluctant to do so, so his character has developed. So he went through character development.
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I love TLOU, it's one of my favourite games ever. I bought a replacement PS3 when my old fat went pop just to play it and did not regret it. I think it's an incredible game.

But I wouldn't call it original, the source material has been done a million times and for the most part it doesn't go anywhere you couldn't predict; it's beauty for me is that it's just a simple story wonderfully and carefully told with real sensitivity and pathos.

score01

Oct 27, 2017

Hey Mazi, it really is ok for TLOU to be considered great (Like many of us do). This does not diminish BOTW achievements in anyway. Celebrate good games. If it helps you, try to forget it is from Sony.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No no no

The story was great but the gameplay was only so so. These attempts from American games media to elevate the game to unearned heights are getting tiresome.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
It came out during a time in which Zombie apocalypse media was big and for me, it therefore just feels like a product of it's time.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the brilliance of The Witcher 3 and BotW were a gut punch to your American ego - that you have been left behind - but have some dignity!

Take pride in the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator instead. That is true innovation.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly the most celebrated game of the decade, I'd put half a dozen games above it.

For anyone who actually played the game, how do you feel about all the hiding you did, where your AI companions clipped through every object in the room and talked normally? Were you able to keep up the immersion when they walked out into the open in front of gun fire and were completely ignored? because every time it did, the game's immersion was gone for me. Really hoping TLOU2 has fixed this problem.

There are better choices than this for game of the decade, but this is still a respectable choice, that is how well done the world and characters were done (I'm a zombie so I might be bias).

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Damn .. That's really a groundbreaking plot and an unforeseen plot twist you can never expect.
I can see why people are so impressed with this masterpiece.
It's the pioneer of soap opera zombie apocalyptic entertainment media.

/s

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also, a much better zombie game released before TLOU and it was DEADLIGHT.

220px-DeadlightBox.jpg

And the story is way better than TLOU, and I'll tell you why. At the end, when Randall is about to find his family, he realizes his family was actually dead the whole time because he actually KILLED THEM. But he did it out of mercy to save them from the zombies. But he repressed that memory, so he is kind of just a crazy guy looking for a family he already killed.

I'm sorry, but that is a way better story. Don't you lie to me by telling me otherwise. At least that shit came with a twist, and as we all know, twists are good storytelling. It means the story is good.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
So it's story story story and story. What's left for people who didn't really vibe with the story?
I don't care about the story in LoU (or most videogames) and its one of my top 3 best games of the decade. Bloodborne and BotW being the other two. The MP was on whole another level and basically showcased how great the gameplay was once unshackled from the scripted sequences.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

A true Citizen Kane moment.