• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The No Comment and Hint basically confirms it (Along with the anime we just got) imo.

Shenmue 3 might not have been what people wanted after such a long wait, but I guess it did well enough and perhaps opened the door to a "bigger" next entry. Hopefully, they can sort out the story and such so it actually manages to get finished.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god really???? Oh god...

Suzuki-sama please put story in priority number one, please, no more forklift memes...

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I have yet to play Shenmue 3 and I realise opinions on it are rather mixed, but I'm always going to be very, very excited about more Shenmue. The first two are very special games.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
We're in a timeline where we may actually see the story of Shenmue completed as originally envisioned. Lets freaking go

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We're in a timeline where we may actually see the story of Shenmue completed as originally envisioned. Lets freaking go

After literally nothing happened in Shenmue 3's story at all, I don't have much hope. Dude still wants to make what, three more of these?

How far did 3 progress the story?

Basically not at all. The whole game was effectively "Ryo learns how to do a shoulder check to take down Lan Di, and then Lan Di beats him anyway"

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i wonder where 110 industries will be getting their funding from now that more and more russian oligarchs/companies are getting sanctioned
https://tadviser.com/index.php/Company:110_Industries
this is a good article, apparently they have 8 (!) games in development
30 million in funding mainly came from abramovich's company, an international investment company with offices in moscow/zurich and a russian company.
founders are russian.

Last edited:

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Hope it turns out to be true. Haven't watched the anime yet but enjoyed the third game enough to appreciate more sequels. It is definitely not one of the worst games released as many here like to believe.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I mean, that's a huge fucking relief if true. I think a lot of Shenmue fans were more than a bit apprehensive about the series' future after the muted reaction to 3. 4 being announced would ease my mind a good deal, regardless of its eventual quality.

They've got to do better this time around though. I don't expect a masterpiece on tier with 1 and 2, but standards need to be raised. The combat for one thing has to be fundamentally altered, because it was utter bobbins in the third game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
After literally nothing happened in Shenmue 3's story at all, I don't have much hope. Dude still wants to make what, three more of these?

Basically not at all. The whole game was effectively "Ryo learns how to do a shoulder check to take down Lan Di, and then Lan Di beats him anyway"
I am not here to praise or shame the pacing of the series. My hype is more from getting to see a creator potentially finish the story/series as they originally envisioned, for better or worse. There's nothing more tragic in entertainment then an incomplete story due to death of the creator or a lack of mainstream success to fund the conclusion.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I really did not like the story in 3 but I still had fun with other aspects of it. I will be so happy to get another one as I really enjoy playing it with my friends.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
i wonder where 110 industries will be getting their funding from now that more and more russian oligarchs are getting sanctioned
(they got their main financial support for wanted dead from abramovich, founder is russian)
Soleil (Wanted Dead studio) was bought by Tencent
www.bloomberg.com

Tencent Buys Game Studio Behind Hit Nintendo Switch Titles

Tencent Holdings Ltd. has quietly acquired a Japanese creative studio with several Nintendo Switch hit games to its name as part of a talent acquisition spree in the home of anime and manga, people familiar with the deal said.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
With the venerated publisher 110 Industries?

this monkey's paw just got a whole new finger

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
So how much of the story is this going to cover if it happens? 0.0001%?

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
In some ways Shenmue 3 felt like it has just finished pre-production, like most elements of the game had just been implemented and that they had no time to build a meaningful story.

I hope with a solid base from 3 and Yu Suzuki stating that he's finally started playing some modern games that Shenmue IV can be something special.

I still enjoyed 3 and there were some really nice and unique moments in it

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I am not here to praise or shame the pacing of the series. My hype is more from getting to see a creator potentially finish the story/series as they originally envisioned, for better or worse. There's nothing more tragic in entertainment then an incomplete story due to death of the creator or a lack of mainstream success to fund the conclusion.
I guess some stories are just not worth seeing the end of?
Not talking about Shenmue specifically since I've only played the first one on the DC ages ago but if he wants to finish the story he should probably pace them a little better...

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
pretty much the main interesting thing shenmue 3's story did was set up for its sequel focusing on a chi you men civil war and getting ren, ryo, and shenhua more or less on the same page as a group traveling/working together so fingers crossed they manage to follow up on that

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess some stories are just not worth seeing the end of?
Not talking about Shenmue specifically since I've only played the first one on the DC ages ago but if he wants to finish the story he should probably pace them a little better...

I think the problem is that Shenmue's core story is at the end of the day a pretty simple revenge narrative, and it's really hard to tell a basic revenge story in seven parts when said story doesn't really have particularly complex or deep characterization. We all know Ryo has to beat Lan Di, so why is he dragging his feet so long to get to that point?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Hopefully, they can sort out the story and such so it actually manages to get finished.

I mean none of us are getting any younger, so I feel you.

But Shenmue 3 was essentially spinning wheels right? Nothing of value happened.
Don't see a 4 or 5 wrapping things up.

Does Shenmue 1 still hold up or is it a hard game to play now a days?

I played it on the Dreamcast, and I'm very fond of it.
I bought it last year on Steam with the full intent of playing through it again and I lasted one hour.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I mean none of us are getting any younger, so I feel you.

But Shenmue 3 was essentially spinning wheels right? Nothing of value happened.
Don't see a 4 or 5 wrapping things up.
Shenmue 3 had barely any story in it because Suzuki-san kind of misinterpreted fan requests and set the wrong priorities: he put open world size, minigames and forklifts above everything else, and the game suffered quite a bit for that.
Also probably having mo-capped story events costed a lot.

But even if the game sucked, it set a very decent foundation, especially graphically wise, they can reuse a lot of assets now, they can do the right things now, oh god please...

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Well then. Hopefully all goes well, 3 acts as a good dev base and there are better priorities for content. I feel like part of the issue with 3 is that they focused too much on things the thought people wanted to see, like forklifts, gambling and immersion breaking arcades, rather than actually advancing the story. Never heard of the publisher though. We don't really need more sketchy deals.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going by the ancient 1996 chapter illustrations, an ending's not that far off. While the first game was just one chapter, S2 and S3 moved us about 3 each and there's 4 of those illustrations left. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Does Shenmue 1 still hold up or is it a hard game to play now a days?

If you treat it like a detective/adventure game, it should be fine? Not as action heavy as Shenmue 2, but it's still an alright time and has a ton of hidden scenes and little things to find if you feel like it. If you just wanna see the essential story stuff, you can blow through it pretty fast, even without the timeskipping feature from 2.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Given that Ys net had to make a lot of things from scratch I would say if Shenmue 4 is real it will definitely be better than 3.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched interviews with Yu about 3, and you can tell his vision for 3 was slightly compromised by wanting to cater too much to the fans and what they wanted (forklifts, five million mini games, etc.) due to the Kickstarter and having fans directly invested that I believe his goal for and execution of the story suffered.

I fully believe he has seen that feedback, in fact he has said he wants to make a better playing game in IV (if it gets made) that will be for the fans but also inviting for new players). He also knows that fans desperately want to see the story progress.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Story progression is one thing, but fewer cash gates blocking progression please

I had an ok time with the game overall, but I think there was too many of these, shenmue 2 has one too but it takes nowhere near as miserably long as any of the 3(?) in the third game

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder where 110 industries will be getting their funding from now that more and more russian oligarchs/companies are getting sanctioned
https://tadviser.com/index.php/Company:110_Industries
this is a good article, apparently they have 8 (!) games in development
30 million in funding mainly came from abramovich's company, an international investment company with offices in moscow/zurich and a russian company.
founders are russian.
well that explains how they seemingly popped out of nowhere

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
I like Yu Suzuki passion for the series but it's time to let the anime finish the tale.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 3 had barely any story in it because Suzuki-san kind of misinterpreted fan requests and set the wrong priorities: he put open world size, minigames and forklifts above everything else, and the game suffered quite a bit for that.
Also probably having mo-capped story events costed a lot.

But even if the game sucked, it set a very decent foundation, especially graphically wise, they can reuse a lot of assets now, they can do the right things now, oh god please...

They're gonna need to completely redo the combat system from scratch. I cannot believe anyone who has ever played an action game in their life thought Shenmue 3's combat system was a good idea.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Yes please!!! I still have to beat 3 but I am so in on this. I would support crowd funding again, too.

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021
Oh I am absolutely for this. But let's be honest, no one is playing Shenmue for its paper thin story. It is for the world, the awkward 3D movement and the even more awkward (and so realistic!) scenes.

I will never forget Ryu's unenthusiastic "Yeah" whenever he interacted with his high school girlfriend Nozomi. Pure, awkward storytelling gold.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I'd be happy with a game of the exact same graphical fidelity and even with the same mechanics (minus the food/stamina, I modded that out on PC and it made the game so much more enjoyable) if it just has decent storytelling. A lot of people understandably give up on the first game due to its slow pace, but the second is still my favourite game of all time and it has so many moments that had my heart pounding and my spirit soaring.

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
The sheer amount of "nothingburgers" in Shenmue 3 was incredible. Even meeting people who met Iwao years ago did amount to nothing. Niao Sun, Lan Di, Ren..... it was all so disappointing. Combat was god-awful, Rise of the Robots-like. Sure there's always hope SM4 will improve and surely it can't be as bad SM3.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
If this happens, I hope they don't need to depend on a crowdfund again and can focus on making the game as good as it can be. Making promises early in production seems to be very restrictive, and sometimes stuff just needs to be reworked.