• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018

So the video compares a PC with 1060 and 3300x and a PS5 and the results are suprising to say the least.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna watch later, but I'm guessing the PS5 beats the piss outta it?

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you build a comparable pc for $400?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Barely matters right now when you ain't gonna find a 1060 (or similar card) to fit into that budget these days due to the scarcity.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Can you build a comparable pc for $400?

Absolutely not.

This comparison is only running games at 1080p, and is ignoring the 5.5 GB/s custom NVME SSD in the PS5.

A PCIE 4.0 SSD, a better GPU to run games at higher resolution, and an 8 core CPU will absolutely drive the price of a PC well above $500.

OP
OP
PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
The games are so cherry picked, the ps5 would demolish the pc in Valhalla or 4k modes.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The video is flawed in many ways, which is actually really surprising for a Gamers Nexus video.

It only tests 3 games on the PS5 that have a high framerate mode, and doesn't test any GPU-bound scenarios.

I'm a huge fan of Steve and GN in general, but this is some really poor methodology for comparing these systems.

Why not also test games like AC Valhalla or Watch Dogs Legion? Those tests would paint a very different picture with the GPUs that are used.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Yeah, pretty flawed video. Basically all it tells you is how these 3 very specific cross-gen games perform in their high framerate (low resolution) modes. A much more interesting comparison will be what sort of PC it takes to match next-gen games in their quality modes. Personally I couldn't care less about the cost:performance since the consoles are obviously always going to win in that department due to being mass produced and the fact that Sony/MS are willing to take a hit on each one, but I'd be interested in the hardware comparisons.

Pretty surprising results regardless though... especially that the console games are all running at medium/low settings. Pretty funny since I saw someone on Era claim that BL3 was running at ultra settings at 120 fps.

and is ignoring the 5.5 GB/s custom NVME SSD in the PS5.

Are you still worried about the future of PC gaming? HOW CAN IT COMPETE WITH THE POWER OF THE SSD!?

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The games are so cherry picked, the ps5 would demolish the pc in Valhalla or 4k modes.
Yeah:

unknown.png

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem like a good video and I like GN.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure if that was the case he wouldn't have even bothered posting the video.

Gamers Nexus is not your typical elitist PC gaming channel.

But why they testing the games on PC at 1080p when the same games on PS5 runs at much higher resolution — most of them nearly at 4K. What's the point of this video?

At least in the case of DMC V, they're comparing PC to the PS5's 120fps mode which does run at 1080p.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
So this is what baiting looks like. In most cases PS5 performs near 2070 /2070s yet here it's bested by 1060 which may be equalent to Xbox ss

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very disappointing video considering how methodical GN usually is. Really not up to their bar, quite honestly.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Did they put a blue ray player in it too? Or a PCIe Gen 4 that costs half the price of the whole thing?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
So they didn't compare any 60hz modes making the test pretty much pointless, didn't digital foundry say you needed a 2070 super to get the same settings in assasins creed Valhalla ?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The video is flawed in many ways, which is actually really surprising for a Gamers Nexus video.

It only tests 3 games on the PS5 that have a high framerate mode, and doesn't test any GPU-bound scenarios.

I'm a huge fan of Steve and GN in general, but this is some really poor methodology for comparing these systems.

Why not also test games like AC Valhalla or Watch Dogs Legion? Those tests would paint a very different picture with the GPUs that are used.
It's not surprising at all if you watched his videos long enough. His PC elitism and snobbery "lol consoles haha I like PC" really comes out when he does console videos. I like GN and he does excellent videos on PC hardware, but his console videos and commentary is often cringe. Same goes for other PC hardware channels such as LinusTechTips and others. "lol consoles suck I like PC" is a running theme on such channels.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Taking UbiSoft PC games and comparing them to anything is like taking PS3 Bayonetta and basing the PS3 performance on that.

More games should have been compared to draw any conclusions and the methodology is flawed for sure, but a wild outlier like UbiSoft probably shouldn't be used.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I stopped watching this "comparison" when he mentioned they'll run the games on PC at 1080p. That's not a comparison.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Are you still worried about the future of PC gaming? HOW CAN IT COMPETE WITH THE POWER OF THE SSD!?

I was simply talking about price. The video talks about a $500 PC competing with the PS5, but ignores one of the most expensive components that would drive up the price of a PC.

It's a little disingenuous.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I don't get the outrage..... he states getting a pc at equivalent price point but also mentions the resolution difference. At the price point there are going to be sacrifices in areas

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Warzone is a funny thing, my PC can run a lot of games at 60fps (2400g 1660ti) but Warzone dances between 50-60fps, meanwhile my old PS4 Pro runs like silk that game and looks a lot better.
i tried dropping everything to basically low @ 1080p. but it doesn't work. im guessing its more cpu which i have an old ass i7 from many years ago. i'll just play ps5 until i can build a pc which sucks that gpu price are sky high.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What are the Microsoft Word benchmarks looking like on PS5?

Seriously though, comparing apples to oranges really. If you want a cheap convenient box to play videogames then consoles can't be beaten on value. But an equivalent priced PC isn't going to offer the same performance but it'll certainly offer advantages elsewhere by being a fully open platform. But it's like anything in life, if you want luxury you're going to have to pay for it and that's where high end PCs don't come cheap, but obviously a 3080 will obliterate console performance.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I don't get the outrage..... he states getting a pc at equivalent price point but also mentions the resolution difference. At the price point there are going to be sacrifices in areas

Most PC people are at 1080p on a monitor anyway, rather than playing on a 4k TV. At that distance, I don't think you really need 4k anyway, so you can go for graphical parity at a lower resolution with more budget hardware.

Pretty terrible time to buy a budget PC though, considering that new budget hardware with hardware raytracing isn't even out yet.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we ignore all the cherry picking in video and only focus on price, then he should have compared against $400 PS5 DE, because his PC doesn't have any sort of optical drive, let alone bluray one.