• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Good point.

I herby declare that I am not a Gamer.

Enjoy your toxic gaming community, gamers, I'm not one of you any more so it's not my problem to solve.

It never occurred to me that by distancing myself from the problem it became no longer my problem.

No I can sit and moan about "gamers" while savouring that sweet sweet sense of superiority.

Cheers!

This whole virtue signaling bullshit has to stop. People are so desperate to paint others as doing it so they can lord their moral superiority over others. its pathetic. please stop

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Good point.

Enjoy your toxic gaming community, gamers, I'm not one of you any more so it's not my problem to solve.

It never occurred to me that by distancing myself from the problem it became no longer my problem.

No I can sit and moan about "gamers" while savouring that sweet sweet sense of superiority.

Cheers!
I'm not a gamer cus they've told me again and again that I'm not cus I'm a girl, cus I'm fake, cus I don't play "proper" games, etc. Cus they harass me, cus they ignore when I'm getting harassed, cus they mock me when I bring up my problems or dismiss them completely. I don't have to be part of a group that treats me badly, and it's not "superiority" when I call them out for doing it. And considering how much you've downplayed the issue in this thread, whether or not you call yourself a "gamer", you certainly aren't solving the problem but helping continue it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Good point.

Cheers!
You can stop being disingenuous now.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The word 'gamer' has long since turned into a word to describe the people in this hobby that are far too invested in this hobby. It also encompasses the gamer stereotype of sexist, racist and childish manchildren.

Gee wiz, why in the world would people not want to label themselves that? No. Fuck 'gamers'. The term is tainted. It's like the word 'Trekkies' that immediately conjures up images of kissless nerds at conventions doing the vulcan greeting with their hands. I did watch plenty of Star Trek but i'd never call myself a Trekkie.
Yeah this sums it up really well for me. Most people I've worked with from 20-40 own a PlayStation or an Xbox of some sort. They play video games. They wouldn't call themselves gamers and their spouses wouldn't either. "Gamer" has this gross stereotype of harassment, racism, poor diet, poor hygiene, lack of social skills, and cringey t-shirts. Who in thejr right minds would want to identify with that.

As for the "everyone here is a gamer because they're on this site"... I play probably 1 game every 2-3 months. I browse here daily, like the last place, because it's a reasonable place to get news, has some video game news, and has plenty of sub-communities for other hobbies. It's basically like reddit with people who aren't garbage trolls.

I play games, I build things, I'm a power tool enthusiast, I like pickup trucks and heavy equipment, I like quality audio, I've really taken to readings lot more in the past year, and being frugal is practically a hobby for me. None of these hobbies but video games seem to have this overwhelming self-identification problem and gatekeeping. It seems problematic to me and I have no interest in being lumped in with those types of people.

Yamatake

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
So people that ignore the issues and go on with their day are the good guys?

Thinking about the racial equivalent of this and yeah, that's pretty telling.

Hold up. I didn't say "people" I was talking about kids who are just playing and enjoying games.

People still call them "gamers" you know. Some even refer to themselves as gamers.

I'm sorry but a 12 year old playing Fortnite with friends and not bothering anyone isn't a bad person because they don't yet fully understand the shitty depths of humanity.

Like I said. Perspective.

Most people don't know about all this stuff and think of a gamer as someone who likes games.

Which is why I would say a distinction between the various people is important and relevant.

If "yes all gamers" is your thing then fair enough. I don't expect you would ever budge on that.

Folks, there are millions of people out there who play games everyday and they don't have twitter accounts or Facebook accounts and they don't post on forums.

Its a shitty thing to throw them in with some real nasty pieces of work just because they share a hobby.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I think the great irony of this thread is that we have a bunch of "prominent" posters who are active in accusing others (in general on era) of defending the use of various slurs, while they now themselves actively defend the use of gamer as a slur.

Equating people that reject the Gamer label to the use of racial, trans-phobic, sexist and homophobic slurs is literally GAMER OPPRESSION rhetoric. Embarrassing as fuck. Congratulations on scraping the absolute bottom in this gutter trash tier of thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up. I didn't say "people" I was talking about kids who are just playing and enjoying games.

People still call them "gamers" you know. Some even refer to themselves as gamers.

I'm sorry but a 12 year old playing Fortnite with friends and not bothering anyone isn't a bad person because they don't yet fully understand the shitty depths of humanity.

Like I said. Perspective.

Most people don't know about all this stuff and think of a gamer as someone who likes games.

Which is why I would say a distinction between the various people is important and relevant.

If "yes all gamers" is your thing then fair enough. I don't expect you would ever budge on that.

Folks, there are millions of people out there who play games everyday and they don't have twitter accounts or Facebook accounts and they don't post on forums.

Its a shitty thing to throw them in with some real nasty pieces of work just because they share a hobby.
There's a difference between not knowing about an issue and ignoring it.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
There's a difference between not knowing about an issue and ignoring it.
Exactly, and it's disengenious to keep bringing up kids to define "Gamer" when the average age of a gamer is 30-something. 30-something aren't so innocent and ignorant of the issues - they just don't care enough to fight them.

Yamatake

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
I'm not a gamer cus they've told me again and again that I'm not cus I'm a girl, cus I'm fake, cus I don't play "proper" games, etc. Cus they harass me, cus they ignore when I'm getting harassed, cus they mock me when I bring up my problems or dismiss them completely. I don't have to be part of a group that treats me badly, and it's not "superiority" when I call them out for doing it. And considering how much you've downplayed the issue in this thread, whether or not you call yourself a "gamer", you certainly aren't solving the problem but helping continue it.

WTF? I've been logged in 30 minutes and my initial point is that maybe a distinction between gamergaters and incels etc could be a valid solution.

How much have I "downplayed the issue" exactly?

Like I said I'd love to see you take this "gamers are misogynists" line to the many parents out there who have kids that they consider gamers and see how far you get.

Not very far.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

ZHXiijI.gif

this is from playing a game casually

not posting on forums which is your "niche" bar to clear

its everywhere, its in every major game, and its fucking prevalent

#realgamers

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
WTF? I've been logged in 30 minutes and my initial point is that maybe a distinction between gamergaters and incels etc could be a valid solution.

How much have I "downplayed the issue" exactly?

Like I said I'd love to see you take this "gamers are misogynists" line to the many parents out there who have kids that they consider gamers and see how far you get.

Not very far.
Their kids are likely encountering it and some may end up repeating it - just look at the Youtubers and Twitch streamers that are popular with kids now. Ninja the biggest Fortnite streamer won't stream with women. By downplaying it, these kid's parents don't know what their child is being exposed to. Also the average age of a gamer is 30-something, so going "what about kids" is really disengenious.
Edit: Also when I first encountered sexism from Gamers, it was when I was a kid - from other (mostly male) kids.

Yamatake

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Exactly, and it's disengenious to keep bringing up kids to define "Gamer" when the average age of a gamer is 30-something. 30-something aren't so innocent and ignorant of the issues - they just don't care enough to fight them.

Right but just because 30 year old white male is the average doesn't mean that everyone gets lumped in with them.

Shit, you can be 30 and not active on Facebook or twitter but still play new games on PS and call yourself a gamer and still not be an asshole.

Honestly I think I'm just not getting why it has to be "yes it's all of them".

I'm not getting why there is so much pushback to someone saying "not everyone is an asshole".

It feels like the best option here really is to just say "I'm not a gamer, gamers are gross".

Because saying you are a gamer but you don't associate with the toxic elements still makes you an asshole. Shit, even being blissfully unaware of the toxicity puts you in the asshole bucket.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how some people don't like that others don't want to label themselves with a silly term.

I play games sometimes, I don't call myself a gamer. I watch movies sometimes, I'm not a "movier". Etc.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Right but just because 30 year old white male is the average doesn't mean that everyone gets lumped in with them.

Shit, you can be 30 and not active on Facebook or twitter but still play new games on PS and call yourself a gamer and still not be an asshole.

Honestly I think I'm just not getting why it has to be "yes it's all of them".

I'm not getting why there is so much pushback to someone saying "not everyone is an asshole".

It feels like the best option here really is to just say "I'm not a gamer, gamers are gross".

Because saying you are a gamer but you don't associate with the toxic elements still makes you an asshole. Shit, even being blissfully unaware of the toxicity puts you in the asshole bucket.
Yeah ignore everything I said about how even the Kids in gaming get infected by it - but I'm sure there's so many people who game that just never have encountered sexism,racism or homophobia - cus it's not like it was there before social media, right? Keep downplaying how big an issue - groups get associated with how the majority acts and we know how the majority of gamers treat minorities. Quit with the #NotAllMen except now it's #NotAllGamers.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You keep bringing up facebook as if the toxicity didn't exist before facebook.

The same reason there is pushback against "Not all men." or "All lives matter." because the people who say that are completely missing the fucking point.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Wouldn't it be easier and more sensible for people to refer to Gamergate supporters as "gamergaters" rather than gamers?

No, because this goes way beyond Gamer Gate.

1. You don't have to be a loud and proud member of Gamer Gate in order to share same sentiments.
2. The gaming community seems largely dominated by white males and general indifference or outright lack of empathy towards what members of marginalised groups endure is a prevalent problem. This very thread demonstrates this.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, that is the technical definition of the term.

However, video gaming, unlikely literally every other form of media consumption, seems to be an identity-defining trait. Words like "cinephile" exist, or bibliophile, but only for people who are basically "obsessed". Almost no one who goes to the movies with normal frequency describes themselves as "cinephiles".

People literally identify as "gamers", which no one does for just going to see films, read books, or listen to music. When the label becomes personal, human brains begin to feel attacked, defensive, and outright hostile toward anything they perceive as threatening that identity, like other groups coming in to the hobby, people writing negative reviews about certain things, different political viewpoints appearing in their games, and so on.

So, yes, while I'm certainly a "gamer", it's a term with a loaded connotation and I don't particularly enjoy associating myself with it, as much as I love games.

I very much agree. 10-15 years back I would've been inclined to think that a "gamer" was what OP proposes - simply the technical definition of the term.

But like you, I think it's fair to state that things have changed a lot. You're on spot in terms of the element of identity.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
One thing I'm just gonna add if that if you use the term "gamer" to describe yourself and you aren't homophobic/racist/transphobic/etc and actually do try to cultivate a better culture within gaming communities, then basically no one is probably going to have an issue with you. Rest assured, when they say "gamers suck," or whatever, you can know that they're not talking about you, but the community of gamers at large. I've basically never had anyone have a problem with my username on here or on the old site, at least to my knowledge. That's why I find the notion of "discrimination against gamers" to be kind of ridiculous.

Like, it's obviously fair for other people to not want to use the term to describe themselves, but if you do and you're not terrible then basically no one is going to have a problem with you.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
One thing I'm just gonna add if that if you use the term "gamer" to describe yourself and you aren't homophobic/racist/transphobic/etc and actually do try to cultivate a better culture within gaming communities, then basically no one is probably going to have an issue with you.

Thank you, that's how I feel about the matter. Rather than throwing a hissy fit for rejecting a label, try to listen to our grievances and do something to actually better the culture, allowing members of marginalised groups to feel welcome.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's funny how the same assholes who for years would (and still do) gatekeep over who was and wasn't a "real gamer" are now the people who are telling folks that if they play games they have to identify as a gamer despite all the toxic bullshit that comes along with the term.

I guess that exclusivity is only appealing when you're the one setting the parameters.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
2. The gaming community seems largely dominated by white males and general indifference or outright lack of empathy towards what members of marginalised groups endure is a prevalent problem. This very thread demonstrates this.

So how does this affect other countries,cultures and communities ? Or is this primarily only a Western thing. Different cultures treat gaming or even "nerd" stuff very differently. Or are they also going to be associated with gamergate because they call themselves gamers ?

I think it's funny how the same assholes who for years would (and still do) gatekeep over who was and wasn't a "real gamer" are now the people who are telling folks that if they play games they have to identify as a gamer despite all the toxic bullshit that comes along with the term.

I guess that exclusivity is only appealing when you're the one setting the parameters.

You realize they dont have to be the same people.

OP
OP
darz1

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
No, because this goes way beyond Gamer Gate.

1. You don't have to be a loud and proud member of Gamer Gate in order to share same sentiments.
Im a little confused. Isnt resetera part of the gaming community?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Because you can't separate the good and the bad from the subcultures you opt to partake in, and individual actions and thoughts don't address these on-going problems.

Good for the kids who aren't being primed to become incels and just play games after homework. What in the world does that do for all the racial minorities called slurs online everyday, or for the women who get ganged up on after getting onto voice chat, especially when they're competing against fragile men at the same or a higher level of play, or for LGBT people told that they're enforcing their SJW politics where they don't belong because they just want representation in certain games?

This is literally the gaming equivalent of saying "How can anyone be racist if they have a black friend?"
This, so much this. When you're traumatised again and again, it's understandable to be fearful and not have this cold intellectual view about generalisations and the ratio of bad people to good people.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Because you can't separate the good and the bad from the subcultures you opt to partake in, and individual actions and thoughts don't address these on-going problems.

Good for the kids who aren't being primed to become incels and just play games after homework. What in the world does that do for all the racial minorities called slurs online everyday, or for the women who get ganged up on after getting onto voice chat, especially when they're competing against fragile men at the same or a higher level of play, or for LGBT people told that they're enforcing their SJW politics where they don't belong because they just want representation in certain games?

This is literally the gaming equivalent of saying "How can anyone be racist if they have a black friend?"
This, so much this. When you're traumatised again and again, it's understandable to be fearful and not have this cold intellectual view about generalisations and the ratio of bad people to good people.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really know much about Gamergate apart from bits and pieces of it, and I was unaware it was still going on. But I was saying based on my anecdotal experience that most people I know in the local gaming community are unaware of it. Harassing women is obviously despicable in both the real and virtual world, and I'm lucky that my gaming groups tend to (mostly) be well adjusted adults who know better.
OH WELL THEN!

By all means, let me repost this for people who are like, "Gamergate, what's that?" in a "Why do people think Gamers are scummy people" thread.

GamerGate's original claims are that Zoe Quinn slept around for coverage favors. This was debunked literally months ago. And yet it persists.

• Kotaku shows that Nathan never wrote the articles he was accused of writing
    On March 31, Nathan published the only Kotaku article he's written involving Zoe Quinn. It was about Game Jam, a failed reality show that Zoe and other developers were upset about being on. At the time, Nathan and Zoe were professional acquaintances. He quoted blog posts written by Zoe and others involved in the show. Shortly after that, in early April, Nathan and Zoe began a romantic relationship. He has not written about her since. Nathan never reviewed Zoe Quinn's game Depression Quest, let alone gave it a favorable review.
  • Rock Paper Shotgun: This is the only article Nathan ever wrote on Rock Paper Shotgun that mentioned Depression quest.
  • GamerGate has not provided any other evidence to back up this assertion
  • Even though Nathan Grayson is the journalist accused of this unethical behavior (and he never actually wrote the articles he was accused of writing), and GamerGate insisting this is about "ethics in journalism", they can't seem to stop talking about Zoe Quinn (not a journalist) and Anita Sarkeesian (also not a journalist)

Other bullshit about Zoe Quinn

• Zoe Quinn was and still is today regularly accused of doxxing herself.
  • Zoe Quinn was and still is today accused of faking death, rape, and other threats.
  • Zoe Quinn doesn't actually sell the game she's accused of sleeping around to get coverage of. It's a free game about Depression, called Depression Quest, created to help others learn to live and deal with the disease. She does take donations, and was accused of lying about giving those donations to charity. However, the charity confirmed the donations were actually received
  • When accusations of those lies first arose, GamerGate started donating to that charity in her place. After the charity confirmed receiving the donations, GamerGate started harassing the charity and threatening it with legal action because they claim they "didn't disclose publicly" they had received donations from her (even though that is not actuall illegal). This is a charity is made up of volunteers and a part-time paid intern, helping people deal with depression
  • Zoe Quinn is frequently accused of winning an award (instead of Papers Please) for Depression Quest because she slept with someone. In actuality, her game didn't receive an award, but just an honorable mention. Papers Please did indeed win the award. No evidence backs up the claim she slept with someone to get the....honorable mention.
  • Zoe Quinn was accused to have "deliberately sabotaged, DDOSed, doxxed, and shut down" TFYC ("The Fine Young Capitalists") because they were "competition" for Rebel Game Jam. The reality is that it's yet another bunch of bullshit accusations against her.

Other bullshit about Anita Sarkeesian

Even more bullshit

So what is GamerGate, in actuality?

• It's a carefully coordinated attack on women in gaming, orchestrated by the underbelly of 4chan, deliberately masquerading itself as a "concern about ethics in game journalism" because that's the only way it would gather mainstream support
  • It's an attack on ethical journalism, the exact thing they have claimed to fight for:
    RubberJohnny said:
    ]1) The main target of #GamerGate is not a journalist. She’s a video game developer. Holding her accountable for “ethics in journalism” is like telling your accountant that it’s his job to negotiate peace treaties in the Middle East.

2) The second biggest target of #GamerGate is an exemplar of clean journalism. If what you don’t like about gaming journalism is that it’s too cozy with the industry and therefore the writers are afraid to be critical, then your fucking hero should be Anita Sarkeesian. She funded herself with Kickstarter and not industry money. She is harshly critical of video games, even as she is a fan. She is the ideal of what a critical gaming journalist should be: Knowledgeable, critical, fair, thorough and utterly non-corrupt.

3) The biggest victory to date of #GamerGate has been an attack on ethical journalism. One of the most important ideas when it comes to ethical journalism is that there’s a wall between advertising and editorial. #GamerGaters hate this rule of ethics, because, as opponents of ethical journalism, they wish to control what journalists say and censor any ideas or opinions that they don’t want to hear. And so they have been targeting advertisers, trying to get them to pull ads from gaming websites that publish ideas they wish to censor.

5) The most recent target of #GamerGate was selected because she engages in ethical journalism. If Brianna Wu had kept her mouth shut and just quietly developed video games, she probably would have been left alone. Instead, she dipped her toe into the art of writing ethical journalistic pieces. But, because they are opponents of ethical journalism, #GamerGaters attacked Wu like they do any other young woman that doesn’t just churn out mindless pro-sexist propaganda.

6) One of the main leaders of #GamerGate works for Breitbart. Milo Yiannopoulos has been up front, rallying the troops of #GamerGate and even helping them select the inevitably young, female targets for harassment. He also works for Breitbart, an organization whose hostility towards ethical journalism is legendary. No surprise there, because #GamerGate is also opposed to ethical journalism.

In other words, #GamerGate is about “ethics in journalism” in the same way Fox News is “fair and balanced”, which is to say “not in the slightest and, in fact, they are the opposite”. Fox News called itself “fair and balanced” to cover for a not-exactly-discreet intention to be unfair, unbalanced and frequently just straight up misleading. And so #GamerGate claims to be about ethics in journalism, when in fact it is about the opposite: Bullying gaming journalists until they get in line with a corporate-friendly agenda of uncritically marketing “games pitched at the intellectual and emotional level of a 16-year-old suburban masturbator“. Anyone who actually tries to talk about anything interesting or intellectually engaging, particularly if female, will be drilled out with harassment.
You know why people think "Gamers" are bad people? Because we let people who did shit like this go unquestioned and unchallenged for years, masking their shitty behavior as "just boy stuff", "mom's basement dwellers", "they can never hurt anyone in real life". We let these people become our representatives. We made people like Milo Yannopolis and Steve Bannon (yes that one) household names because we never said, "what you're doing is wrong" and took the destruction of multiple people's careers to finally start fighting against it.

People's handwaving is what made "gamers" a pejorative.

Whole lot of handwaving going on in this thread though.

Thank you, that's how I feel about the matter. Rather than throwing a hissy fit for rejecting a label, try to listen to our grievances and do something to actually better the culture, allowing members of marginalised groups to feel welcome.

But what about my huge anime titties? I'm afraid people like you are going to make them go away.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I find that people ask me, and I say yes, and they default to that meaning I play like four hour sessions of Fortnite or Battlefield every night.

I think of myself as a pretty dedicated gamer, in that I play basically every game that interests me, and mostly day one, but as I only play single player games, and don't like handheld gaming, that's still like what? 250 hours of gaming a year? Maybe 300? That's pitiful compared to even the average Joe multiplayer dude.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think of myself as a pretty dedicated gamer, in that I play basically every game that interests me, and mostly day one, but as I only play single player games, and don't like handheld gaming, that's still like what? 250 hours of gaming a year? Maybe 300? That's pitiful compared to even the average Joe multiplayer dude.

That's not fai...

::checks overwatch total played hours::

Nevermind, carry on.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Im a little confused. Isnt resetera part of the gaming community?
Gamer is the family, it's not the genus or the species. We're a broad and diverse enough group to divide and subdivide.

I'm not a gamer gamer even though I've played games all my life. I don't act like the typical gamer. I've never gone to midnight launches, I've never bought gaming gear, I've never bought the Dew for XP codes, I've never poopsocked. If anything I'm an atypical gamer. But why end with broad labels like gamer or atypical gamer? Let's be specific and get the labels correct. Many of us do that already because it cuts down on water conservation. "I'm a PC gamer" "I'm a console gamer" "I'm a streamer" "I'm a critic" "I only play multiplayer." "I'm in esports" "I'm mobile only" "I'm a gamer Gator." And so on.

It's like I said earlier. Some of us are saying "I'm a penguin, I'm nothing like a hawk." Then you come back and say, "i don't get it though, aren't you both still birds!?" While ignoring the differences.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
So how does this affect other countries,cultures and communities ? Or is this primarily only a Western thing. Different cultures treat gaming or even "nerd" stuff very differently. Or are they also going to be associated with gamergate because they call themselves gamers ?

I've already shared my thoughts on this in this thread. It basically boils down to something as simple as...

A. If you want to label yourself as a Gamer, while acknowledging the concerns and grievances raised by members of marginalised groups and actively working towards ridding the culture of toxicity, allowing members of marginalised groups to feel welcome, then you're good in my book, but in my optics, apathy and dismissive attitudes are far too common within the culture, so if you do indeed fit this description you're essentially breaking the mold. Thank you.

B. If you want to label yourself as a Gamer and the above description does not fit you, then you're at the very least a part of the problem. Even as a passive onlooker, you're allowing members of marginalised groups to be alienated.

I've already stated why I, as a person of colour, reject the label.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Gamer is the family, it's not the genus or the species. We're a broad and diverse enough group to divide and subdivide.

I'm not a gamer gamer even though I've played games all my life. I don't act like the typical gamer. I've never gone to midnight launches, I've never bought gaming gear, I've never bought the Dew for XP codes, I've never poopsocked. If anything I'm an atypical gamer. But why end with broad labels like gamer or atypical gamer? Let's be specific and get the labels correct. Many of us do that already because it cuts down on water conservation. "I'm a PC gamer" "I'm a console gamer" "I'm a streamer" "I'm a critic" "I only play multiplayer." "I'm in esports" "I'm mobile only" "I'm a gamer Gator." And so on.

It's like I said earlier. Some of us are saying "I'm a penguin, I'm nothing like a hawk." Then you come back and say, "i don't get it though, aren't you both still birds!?" While ignoring the differences.
Er, what???? Do I really want to know what the heck this is?????

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
You tied the word GAMER to a sexist/homophobic/transphobic/racist harrasment campaign.

Most of them graduated to Right Wing Conservatisim aka Neo Nazism

Most completely lack basic social skills and respectablity and even world awareness

And y'all shit the bed immediately when women join the room or lobby

Gaming will always be a passion of mine but that will never stop me from saying Fuck GAMERS.

Not until that pathetic and juvenile subculture changes.

Also here's a big fact : THE GAMING INDUSTRY IS 100% CULPABLE AND LIABLE FOR FOSTERING THE TOXIC COMMUNITY WE KNOW TODAY

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That's not fai...

::checks overwatch total played hours::

Nevermind, carry on.
I wish I could get into MP gaming, I have in the past. I played some disgusting amount of CS as a kid. It works out a lot cheaper. Buying all the consoles, and now upgraded mid-gen consoles, for like a three or four games a year works out as a kind of stupidly costly hobby.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
People's handwaving is what made "gamers" a pejorative.

Whole lot of handwaving going on in this thread though.
You can replace 'gamers' with literally any hobby, any race, any ethnicity or sexual orientation, and say the same thing. And you would still be just as wrong.

Those individuals that partook in the horrendous activities you mention are indeed the scum of the earth. Those scum exist in all facets of life. They do deserve the hate you express.

Ironically, Generalizing the entire group of individuals that call themselves 'gamers' or those that play/enjoy/research/develop games and lumping them into the same group of individuals, quite simply makes you much more like those that you hate than the rest of those that call themselves and identify as gamers.

It's not much different than calling all Germans Nazis because they lived in the same space as those horrendous criminals.

Just because you define those individuals as 'gamers' doesn't mean you should force that definition on others that don't use the same definition and would never act in such a shameful manner.

It's immature, and quite hypocritical.

Status
Not open for further replies.