• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know of any games that have the same engine and gameplay as an older game from an entirely different series? (or franchise, liscense etc.)

Here's a few:

Disney Extreme Skate Adventure & Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop & Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

DOOM & Chex Quest

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Don't know about "the same" gameplay necessarily but generally I'd say Kid Icarus and Metroid fall into this.

Then there's Half Life and Gunman Chronicles.

Half-Life 2, Portal & Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, Counter-Strike Source

Half Life 2 does not share any gameplay overlap with Portal or Left for Dead or CS other than being first person.

KB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Super Mario Land 2 (and Wario Land) uses the Metroid II engine. Not exactly the same kind of gameplay but close enough I'd say.

OP
OP
out_of_touch

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about "the same" gameplay necessarily but generally I'd say Kid Icarus and Metroid fall into this.

Good stuff. Ice Climbers too maybe?

Gunman Chronicles looks cool!

Just remembered Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 is like the middle ground between Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% on this one, but Ys Seven and Nayuta no Kiseki seem to be based on the same engine, though it is changed up quite a bit.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Elder Scrolls and Bethesda's Fallout games share the same engine and similar gameplay.

The Gothic series, Risen 1 and ELEX also play fairly similar.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty Homefront and Frontlines Evolved or whatever it's called have the same engine, gameplay, animations and sound effects in the multiplayer lol.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Not really what you are asking with your thread but i always have a laugh when i remember Catherine uses the same engine as modern Fallout and TES games.

Guess it could be the same gameplay if all you do in skyrim is trying to climb mountains by jumping and making Lydia upset

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quantum of Solace by Treyarch is literally Call of Duty: Modern Warfare with third person cover mechanics. Same engine, near-identical gameplay, cover system aside.

I guess it's a little muddier when you start talking about middleware, though, because a lot of, say, Unreal 3 FPS games kinda play the same. FPS developers copied what felt good.

Rayman 2 uses the engine of a game called Tonic Trouble. Tonic Trouble was basically a testing ground for gameplay ideas, and for that reason it's far less polished. It plays very similarly to Rayman 2, though.

Project Armorines and South Park were FPS games that used the Turok engine and they played exactly like Turok 2, but nowhere near as good.

Most Nintendo DS FPS games, including Call of Duty titles, used the GoldenEye: Rogue Agent engine, and they all played exactly like GoldenEye: Rogue Agent for DS.

ManatuBear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Demon's Souls - Dark Souls - (potentially) Bloodborne

(i know, its questionable if they are "different" games, i was basing on IPs)

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
No one gonna mention the Platinum action lineup? Bayonetta 1+2, TMNT, Legend of Korea's, Nier:A, Transformers: Devastation, and Metal Gear Rising all share much of the same gameplay and structure in many respects.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No one gonna mention the Platinum action lineup? Bayonetta 1+2, TMNT, Legend of Korea's, Nier:A, Transformers: Devastation, and Metal Gear Rising all share much of the same gameplay and structure in many respects.

That's because most of these games don't share gameplay or structure. Unless them all being 3rd person action-focused titles with melee combat is enough.

ManatuBear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I can see similarities between Bayo and MGR, but i had no idea they were using the same engine (i only saw the ps3 version of both).

Oct 27, 2017
Don't if the avalanche of Gust and NIS JRPGs are actually using the same engine, but they sure as hell look like it.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I picked up Fairy Fencer F on a whim and found out it bore more than a striking resemblance to the Neptunia games. Same map traversal, same combat mechanics, same visual novel style cut-scenes, same bonus in-game challenges. Music was even similar. It was basically a Neptunia game with different characters.

I'm a sucker for the Neptunia games, so I enjoyed it.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Dissidia Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep share an engine, and the gameplay is somewhat similar outside of Dissidia being more of an arena fighter. Also, Crisis Core Final Fantasy used the same engine, I believe. (And possibly FF Type-0 but I can't verify that one)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore fit, too, I guess?

Both feature the ring menu and the % wait-based combat and at least one partner character.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The later 8 bit sonic games, namely sonic chaos and sonic triple trouble, were developed by a company called aspect.

Aspect also made coca-cola kid, also on the game gear, and used the exact same engine. As a result, the games play extremely similarly.

2324247-coca_cola_kid_12.png

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Dissidia Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep share an engine, and the gameplay is somewhat similar outside of Dissidia being more of an arena fighter. Also, Crisis Core Final Fantasy used the same engine, I believe. (And possibly FF Type-0 but I can't verify that one)

All the late Square-Enix games for the PSP seem to share the same technology, I'd say. Dissidia, 3rd Birthday, Crisis Core, Type-0...

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Final Fantasy and the Bravely Default series.

Although the BD series has Bravery/Default as a major gameplay aspect, a lot of its assets/structure is like old school FF.

-4 member party in the same fashion as old school FF
-Same equipment UI
-Same spell system
-Items and Equipment are practically the same
-Some of the enemies are similar (normal monsters, not boss types)
-Battle menu has almost the same options (minus bravely, default, etc)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sims developed a castlevania clone on the sega master system called Master of Darkness. They also developed a fourth 8-bit ninja gaiden game exclusively for the sega master system. Both games use the same engine, with ninja gaiden simply being sped up a bit.

hqdefault.jpg

gfs_87392_2_5.jpg

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore fit, too, I guess?

Both feature the ring menu and the % wait-based combat and at least one partner character.

They aren't the same engine, though. Secret of evermore was developed entirely in the usa. I've read interviews from the programmer who was very proud that he was able to clone mana's gameplay and inventory ring from scratch considering the talent that made mana.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Primal Rage and Rampage World Tour seem to share the same engine,judging from animation stances and eating people

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The first The Witcher game was made with the Aurora Engine; the engine BioWare developed for their Neverwinter Nights games.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
That's because most of these games don't share gameplay or structure. Unless them all being 3rd person action-focused titles with melee combat is enough.
Transformers is basically "what if Bayonetta was a car?"
Same game play, same combo strings, both have witch time. Being a Bayonetta clone with Transformers is one of the things that makes it so good.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
All of the Soul Reaver games, Akuji the Heartless, and the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games at least as late as Underworld are founded upon the same engine originally built for 1998's Gex: Enter the Gecko, constantly modified and revised in a ship of Theseus-style evolution over the years. In an ironic turn, Crystal offered the then-superior technology to fellow Eidos studio Core Design as early as 1999 in a friendly gesture, but "they turned [them] down flat, with a noted official saying to [Crystal] 'Tomb Raider will sell more than Soul Reaver. We don't need your engine."

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A number of James Bond games use the Need for Speed engine for their driving sections. It was quite an odd arrangement. Xbox 360 backwards compatibility tended to crap itself on the engine switchover between the custom FPS engine and the Need for Speed driving sections.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They don't have the same gameplay so it doesn't really fit with the thread but I find it amazing that Planet Coaster and Elite: Dangerous share the same engine.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Turma da Mônica em O Resgate and Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Sapo Xulé vs Os Invasores do Brejo and Psycho Fox
Universal Soldier and Turrican II
Street Combat and Ranma ½: Chonai Gekitohen
Probotector and Contra 3
Super Mario 2 and Doki Doki Panic

xD