• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Back in the day of the Nintendo DS I remember playing some JRPG which required you to draw your own world map on the touchscreen while you were exploring the game. The game's world was "cubic" so it was rather easy to sketch out, fun nonetheless. Shame I forgot the name though.

Anyway. I was wondering if there is any game with that mechanic out there. With the vast amount of Indie games, it's at least possible that somebody implemented that idea in their game, right?

I think it would be pretty fun to have a "cartography" game..

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Back in the day of the Nintendo DS I remember playing some JRPG which required you to draw your own world map on the touchscreen while you were exploring the game. The game's world was "cubic" so it was rather easy to sketch out, fun nonetheless. Shame I forgot the name though.

You're talking about literally all of the Etrian Odyssey games.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the Etrian Odyssey series. Persona Q was also the same, but it was also by the same devs.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yep, that's Etrian Odyssey. By now it has 5 Games, 2 Remakes, 1 "Best of" (a completely new game though, and it just released), 2 Persona Spinoffs (same map drawing and general gameplay) as well as a Mystery Dungeon spinoff.

And I don't think there is another game where you actually draw the dungeon map like this.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't much like it in EO, but I did enjoy it a good bit in Persona Q.

Just the right balance of accessibility and letting you do it yourself. Really does make you feel like an explorer, out in the unknown

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest starting off with the Etrian Odyssey Untold games.

You need to get a 3DS if you don't have one if you have any hope to play the best, most recent games like this.