• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As much bickering as there is in the Persona franchise you won't find many people going to bat for 1.
71Gx3aRMDdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I actually like Persona 1 more than Innocent Sin.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Lunar: Dragon Song is generally considered to be complete trash.
I honestly don't really even consider it part of the series, it's so terrible.

How many people actually finished it? I'm one of them. The annoyances get less annoying as it goes on, mainly because the HP loss rate while running doesn't increase to account for an increase in HP as you level up. But it's still shit.

As much bickering as there is in the Persona franchise you won't find many people going to bat for 1.
71Gx3aRMDdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I like it more than 4. :/

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Assassin's Creed 3. Hitman: Absolution. Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. FEAR 3. Splinter Cell: Conviction. Deus Ex: Invisible War. MGS4.

Silent Hill Homecoming
Black Ops 2
Hmmm Half-life 1?

Black Ops 2 is undoubtedly the most beloved Call of Duty game. Ghosts is the near-universally hated Call of Duty entry.

sschol

Oct 27, 2017
There are far more universally hated entries than 6. Resident Evil Survivor and Operation Raccoon City come to mind.

The original Street Fighter comes to mind. What a lackluster first entry into a fantastic franchise.

Oh sure, ORC is worse, I was just thinking in terms of the main or at least recognized series. I think it's reasonable to allow separate categories for "worst main-series game" and "worst game in entire franchise." Even with SF, I might come across a spinoff game that manages to be worse than SF1.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Deus Ex Invisible War
Gears of War Judgement
Resident Evil Umbrella Corps
Fallout 4
Zelda II

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Ace Attorney 4

It's still a good game, but it definitely isn't the fan favorite.

I personally think that Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is the worst Ace Attorney.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sure, ORC is worse, I was just thinking in terms of the main or at least recognized series. I think it's reasonable to allow separate categories for "worst main-series game" and "worst game in entire franchise." Even with SF, I might come across a spinoff game that manages to be worse than SF1.
Good point. I think some would argue Street Fighter: The Movie The Game is far worse.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Riskman

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy 2 for sure.

Curious what people think about Lost Levels as worst 2D Mario game.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Is it worse than Street Fighter The Movie The Game?

Based on this this question, I will assume you're not really familiar with anything pre-SF2. In that case, I can confidently inform you that Street Fighter 1 is dramatically worse than any 2D fighter you'll have come into contact with. If the only two fighters in existence were Street Fighter 1 and Shaq-Fu, Shaq-Fu would look like a damn masterpiece.

Batman: Arkham Origins.

I don't hate this game, but surely is the worst of the series.

I don't think post-Arkham Knight it's actually safe to say that this game is universally considered to be the worst entry any more. There are plenty of people that would take Origins over Knight.

Last edited:

Jodast

Oct 25, 2017
Tri Force Heroes is probably the worst single player campaign in the main Zelda series history. Like both Four Swords Anniversary and Four Swords Adventures, Tri Force Heroes tasks you with handling multiple Link's but unlike those games there is no graceful way of achieving that. The previous games allowed you to have the NPC Link's follow you, allowed you to split them up, create battle formations with them etc. Tri Force Heroes strips all that away forcing you to micromanage the Link's progress through the levels by either constantly stacking them or switching between every Link to move them through the levels. The result is that the game play is slowed down and becomes ever more tedious as the levels get longer and more complex.

After the fantastic solution Nintendo came up with for Four Swords Adventures it was really disappointing to play another multiplayer focused Zelda game in single player and find all of those mechanics abandoned. I hope if Nintendo ever remake or port Tri Force Heroes to another platform they overhaul the mechanics of the single player campaign.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said not many.

Also no. No it isn't.
Better combat, better dungeons, better story, better characters. I'm sorry, but Satomi Tadashi's trilogy was peak Persona. Only things Hashino games are better are acessibility and presentation.

Obviously these are just my opinions, and I know they aren't popular at all. Just have to defend classic Persona.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think post-Arkham Knight it's actually to say that this game is universally considered to be the worst entry any more. There are plenty of people that would take Origins over Knight.

Yup. I would never have thought so after how unimpressed I was by Origins, but I'll take uninspired half-broken combat over being forced to use Poochie the Bat-Tank to solve switch puzzles.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better combat, better dungeons, better story, better characters. I'm sorry, but Satomi Tadashi's trilogy was peak Persona. Only things Hashino games are better are acessibility and presentation.

Obviously these are just my opinions, and I know they aren't popular at all. Just have to defend classic Persona.
Not even touching Persona 2(though quite frankly I though both were incredibly boring.)

But the only one of those I might give you is dungeons. Everything else, no.
I understand and I'm glad you found something in this game I didn't, but as someone who bought it day 1 on PSP I was really let down. I do appreciate what it lead too though. It also has very good art direction.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dark Souls 2.

I try and put the existence of that game out of my memory so I can think of Dark Souls as a series of perfect games.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Tri Force Heroes is probably the worst single player campaign in the main Zelda series history. Like both Four Swords Anniversary and Four Swords Adventures, Tri Force Heroes tasks you with handling multiple Link's but unlike those games there is no graceful way of achieving that. The previous games allowed you to have the NPC Link's follow you, allowed you to split them up, create battle formations with them etc. Tri Force Heroes strips all that away forcing you to micromanage the Link's progress through the levels by either constantly stacking them or switching between every Link to move them through the levels. The result is that the game play is slowed down and becomes ever more tedious as the levels get longer and more complex.

After the fantastic solution Nintendo came up with for Four Swords Adventures it was really disappointing to play another multiplayer focused Zelda game in single player and find all of those mechanics abandoned. I hope if Nintendo ever remake or port Tri Force Heroes to another platform they overhaul the mechanics of the single player campaign.
The Zelda series as a whole is pretty much exempt from universally agreed upon threads, unless we're counting cdi. Even Tri Force Heroes.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Ace Attorney 4

It's still a good game, but it definitely isn't the fan favorite.

I personally think that Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is the worst Ace Attorney.

The episodic nature of AA where the middle cases in each game are "filler episodes" makes it so that people tend to break down ratings by cases rather than by game. But yeah, the fourth game is overall the worst in that the good cases don't quite reach the heights of the other games' best cases while the bad cases are as bad if not worse than the worst cases of the other games. It's not like the second game where people universally hate the circus case but also agree that the final case more than makes up for it.

And beyond that it's a textbook example of a terrible way to do a mid-series protagonist transition- that's a hard thing to get away with regardless unless your series establishes early that the protag will change regularly (ie Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) but AJ's justification for retiring Phoenix was particularly poorly-done. The 3DS games' approach of making it an ensemble cast that take turns as the player character is definitely a much better way to move the series forward.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Unreal Tournament 3 - I despise the aesthetics of the game, it was really light on content and also having poor UI/menu systems.
Dual Destiny for Ace Attorney - The animations are slick but the overarching story felt so weak, Athena wasn't as great of a introduction to a new side character than Trucy or Mia, the 3D investigations was a nice concept but overall lacking in depth and furthermore was an incredibly short game.
Golden Sun Dark Dawn - A huge step down compared to the first two games especially when they were some of my favourite games at the time.
Uncharted 1. The game aged really awfully even with the remastered version, the levels and gunplay just aren't fun to play through.
Not in the overall quality of the game but Twilight Princess has easily one of the worst introductions into any of the Zelda games with one of the most horrendous art direction.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Street Fighter EX3...

Street Fighter 1 is at least excusable as it came before people knew what a 'formal' fighting game actually is.

SFEX3 came hot of the heels of several excellent SF, notwithstanding SFEX2+, which is also a very competent game by itself. It doesn't make sense (other than it being a rushed PS2 Launch game).

Deleted member 7529

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Slug 4.

ms4_poster_e_1024x1024.jpg

Developed by the Korean company Mega Enterprise during SNK's bankruptcy, all the bosses in this entry are just frankensteined from assets used in the previous 3 games.

The whole thing feels so uninspired and underwhelming that despite introducing some nifty features to the series such as the ability to slide and a bonus scoring system, this entry became known as the black sheep of the franchise.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
In terms of Mega Man Battle Network, it's probably Mega Man Battle Network 4.

It does have great things going for it, namely the Double Soul/Soul Unison (one of the best ideas for this series) and Emotion Window, but it also repeats content since you have to play the quest 3 times to properly get everything, namely getting all the Double Souls, and Virus chips (the higher difficulties upgrades their toughness levels). I felt that the addition of Dark Chips is not a good thing because now some of the good chips are locked behind Mega Man's current state, limiting the possibilities of folders (not to mention, this game(s) is the first to reduce the chip code variation from 5 to 3).

Even though Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge is more limiting in control, at least it felt fun because you can choose your character (though you are stuck with them after that), its games are quicker and you can use any chip as long as you have the capacity.

Note that I do not know how the strange 4.5 game is played, nor the mobile games, so I don't know how they fare. I doubt that many people played either of them to determine if they are worse, anyway.

Mega Man Star Force is likely Mega Man Star Force 2, even though I didn't realise it's supposed to be the worst. I guess being in a series of three similar games where the 3rd and last game is the best while the first is intriguing makes it bound to be the worst. Still, it's amusing that it's supposed to be 3 versions fitted into 2 games, where one version is found in both, while the other two are separate.

Thank you for reading.