• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
While I don't necessarily agree, I fully expect Resi6 , Dark Souls 2, Devil May Cry 2 and such to come up.

My vote would be Gears of War Judgement and Ninja Gaiden 3.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I liked it, but unlike melee or even 64, it pretty much disappeared from the collective gaming conciousness as soon as Smash 4 came out.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Xenosaga Episode II came in my mind when I think about that.

I can't say that without having played DS Episode I and II or the cell phone game Pied Piper.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I liked it, but unlike melee or even 64, it pretty much disappeared from the collective gaming conciousness as soon as Smash 4 came out.

Subspace Emissary is still incredible.

For more casual fans there's several interesting features over other games. Their coin shooting minigaming was also great. Snake's codecs are amazing.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Dawn of War 3
The reaction to it has kept me from even picking it up, and only 3 factions?
Ohnobabywhatisyoudoing.jpeg

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

Master of Orion 3. Trash. Just complete trash.

It doesn't even work for this thread because the thread title is "near universally accepted." Master of Orion 3 is universally accepted. No near necessary.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Joke answer : All the latest title in longrunning franchise.

Serious answer : Duke Nukem Forever and Final Fantasy XIV vanilla.

Huh, had no idea people felt that way. They're my favorite games in the series I think.

I'm pretty sure XY (heck even SunMoon I think) is more hated than B/W. Personally I like B/W, have the most memorable story and cast of characters.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is fundamentally flawed because there's no usable metric here. Who is "everyone"? Are we talking series "true fans" or general population because there's a HUGE difference in perception there. You pick any series and you'll have "true fans" arguing that the multi-million selling critically acclaimed entry that was popular with fans and newcomers alike was "widely hated". (Hitman: Absolution, for example.) Then you've got series like Call of Duty where people will claim a game was "universally accepted as the worst" because... someone didn't like the multiplayer.

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid: Other M or Federation Force, even though Hunters and the original Metroid II are worse imho.
Skyward Sword, even though it's one of the best and Spirit Tracks or Triforce Heroes are much worse.
Nuts & Bolts, even if it's a masterpiece (the worst Banjo is Grunty's Revenge even if it's still quite good).
Bioshock 2, even if Infinite is the worst of the bunch (still good!).
I guess Phantom Pain is now considered the worst of the main series, but Guns Of The Patriots is the stupidest boringfest in Metal Gear imho.

I have no idea why I read it wrong. I interpreted the topic as "titles which are considered the worst but actually aren't". So, well.
i think Zelda II is way more hated ,hence its title "black sheep" of th franchise and Spirit tracks is one of the best imo ;_; .
id say Sonic 06 is considered the worse by most sonic fans

Huh, had no idea people felt that way. They're my favorite games in the series I think.

Truthfully im not so sure which Pokemon games are liked least ,i def know of people who hated B and W cuz they found the designs ugly . but ive seen people love it for the story too and the gameplay. Quite frankly i think there isnt any main Pkmn game thats mostly hated cuz there are so many fans that im sure each game has its own sizeable fanbase.
and tbh most of the answers (including mine) are the same too . There isnt really any true consensus for which game is the worse in any franchise at all

Last edited:

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The ones I was going to say have been said (DMC2, Ace Combat Assault Horizon. and Drakengard 2). However, Drakengard 2 is a bit debatable as it's the one which lacks the appeal because it's a Taro game but I've heard many say it played the best in terms of gameplay but that just wasn't they wanted out of a DG. DG3 is a barely running mess but has the appeal of being an actual Taro game with what you would expect (or not expect) from a Taro game.

I imagine Metal Gear Survive will go down as one of these for similar reasons.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden IV.

The setup is great. The ability to explore the Island Nations with your ship as your headquarters was a potential breath of fresh air for the franchise.

It was just so fucking slow.

They also dropped battles from 6 party members to 4, which was lame.

And those fucking cat people....

I actually like S4, just cuz it's pretty breezy to get through and I like some of the characters (getting Ted with the Soul Eater is cool as hell), but it's ultimately a bad Suikoden game, even tho it's not a bad game-game.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Don't agree with the Mass Effect 3 comments at all. It was a divisive game for sure but it is most certainly not universally accepted as the worst of the franchise.

I think Mass Effect 3 receives still to this date a lot of (at the time deserved but not now) hate and frustration over the ending. I would say that alot (not all but many) of those people still saying this today did not play either the extended cut which turned the ending into simply a bad ending rather then the atrocious original ending nor the citadel DLC which is widely regarded by the community as the accepted ending of the series.

Also not agreeing with Mass Effect Andromeda (if it was left unpatched then for sure, otherwise i think in today's state it is an acceptable entry).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
New Super Mario Bros. DS

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Is it worse than Street Fighter The Movie The Game?

Yeah. SF1 was cutting edge for its time. SFTMTG was trash for its time and is even more trash now, but SFTMTG benefits from like 7 or 8 years of genre progress. The Saturn port of the game is like the bastard child of Mortal Kombat, Super Turbo, and Darkstalkers, so it beats SF1 by default.

This is just a mechanical assessment, though. SF1 is a very important game that also has a lot of nostalgic appeal. It's just very unfun to play.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much bickering as there is in the Persona franchise you won't find many people going to bat for 1.
71Gx3aRMDdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't agree with the Mass Effect 3 comments at all. It was a divisive game for sure but it is most certainly not universally accepted as the worst of the franchise.

I think Mass Effect 3 receives still to this date a lot of (at the time deserved but not now) hate and frustration over the ending. I would say that alot (not all but many) of those people still saying this today did not play either the extended cut which turned the ending into simply a bad ending rather then the atrocious original ending nor the citadel DLC which is widely regarded by the community as the accepted ending of the series.

Also not agreeing with Mass Effect Andromeda (if it was left unpatched then for sure, otherwise i think in today's state it is an acceptable entry).

Eh, both are definitely disliked more than 2 or 1. That really can't be debated.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mass Effect 3.
Dragon Age 2
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction

Too many to list.

Woah woah woah there!

Dark Souls 2 is in no way, nearly universally accepted as the worst game in the franchise.

Yeah, even though in a poll it would probably come out as the worst, it still has a substantial proportion of the fanbase who consider it one of, if not the best in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
DMC2 is the definitive answer. There's not a soul on this planet that could argue it's better than any of the other games in the series.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Eh, both are definitely disliked more than 2 or 1. That really can't be debated.

I agree - that's the point... You can't argue that there is one definitive entry in the Mass Effect franchise that is universally regarded as the worst if you are putting them both down. Even in this thread we have already seen plenty of Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda posts.

I agree both are worse then Mass Effect 1 + 2. However while i personally like ME3 more then Andromeda i know plenty of people feel differently.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I think most people are fine with accepting that Fallout 4 is the worst Fallout game, excluding spinoffs. Though the other 3 main games are of so high quality that's hardly anything for 4 to be ashamed of (I actually really liked 4)

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

If you don't agree with 3 or Andromeda, which was the worst in the franchise?

Edit: Nevermind, you expanded above.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
As an unabashed fan of king of fighters

Fuck king of fighters XII. Never mind the huge lack of characters, the game didn't feel right and the critical counter was a joke. Never mind the characters that did make in the game had reduced movesets. That game made me break my controller for the first and only time

I'm glad XIII console ver exists which is arguably its pinnacle. But man it was a terrible time to be a KOF fan

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually it can because some people forget just how much golden boy ME2 is hated by ME1 "true fans". The irony is that ME3 bought back a lot of the things ME1 fans liked. These discussions are heavily distorted by assumptions like "ME2 isn't hated, right?" Well, actually it is. Basically every single Bioware game has a hatedom. It's just a question of visibility.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I think most people are fine with accepting that Fallout 4 is the worst Fallout game, excluding spinoffs. Though the other 3 main games are of so high quality that's hardly anything for 4 to be ashamed of (I actually really liked 4)

Well if you're excluded spinoffs, you're already kinda cheating. No way is Brotherhood of Steel (the Dark Alliance clone) better than Fallout 4.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
.Hack//Link

Horrible combat system, annoying protagonists, and the convoluted plot is soo bad that it hurts the stories of past and future games.

top.jpg

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Well if you're excluded spinoffs, you're already kinda cheating. No way is Brotherhood of Steel (the Dark Alliance clone) better than Fallout 4.

completely agree, it's just so forgotten by just about everyone it's hardly worth considering. Plus I don't like comparing spinoffs to mainline games, but that's just personal preference. If you include spinoffs, then yes, BoS is clearly the worst game, though its worth mentioning that New Vegas (definitely) and Tactics (debatable) are, in fact, better than 4.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Drakengard 2, Doom 3, Persona 1, RE6 . I usually get pretty bummed out when these games get such a bad reputation, because I feel like a lot of the time those games are daring in some interesting way that either just didn't stick or wasn't well received. But some definitely deserve the hate, full stop with few reservations. RE6's story mode was a travesty, even if mercenaries rules.

RE6.

I enjoyed it enough though, esepcially mercs. I thought RE0 was worse, personally.
There are far more universally hated entries than 6. Resident Evil Survivor and Operation Raccoon City come to mind.

The original Street Fighter comes to mind. What a lackluster first entry into a fantastic franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Metroid: Other M. Still makes me angry because it felt like they were attempting character assassination on Samus with Adam and Ridley.