• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Just yesterday, I've been thinking about how the Darksiders ip is that for me.The games are fun but the whole franchise imo is a 7/10 franchise, all the games do many things and a lot of these things work fine but nothing really stands out or make a statement.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
header.jpg

Legendary

It have such an awesome concept. You Versus The Pandora Box which include every single monstrosity you can think of (or we hoped).
Sadly the game was no good from what I hear...

I may be one of the only people on the entire internet who will cop to having played and finished this. No regrets, I enjoyed this one as C-tier FPS. It lived up to its maximum potential tho.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a weird way -- and an opinion that is going to be very against a lot of people -- Pokemon. I love the games, and they're obviously popular (I think the most popular gaming franchise that exists?) but I always wanted it to evolve over time into something more robust and modern. I wanted a Pokemon game that plays like how the Anime felt, wandering around a huge amazing world and encountering pokemon and catching them, rather than the games sticking to the top down style with graphical and minor gameplay improvements over time. I always expected them to become this much larger thing and evolve in more ways than they did. It was probably a pipe dream, and they've made bank sticking with the style they have, but for me it's wasted potential with what the Pokemon games could have been vs what they were and are.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Borderlands. The games have the potential to be so much more than they are. I never felt the mission design was interesting enough and also didn't care for large parts of the game world.

this

they had the looter shooter on lock before anyone else and they could have easily transitioned (spin off or not) to a Hero shooter ala Overwatch AND to a BR game ( or a combination of the two)

and nothing...

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Artifact has a really cool central gameplay concept with the 3 boards, but it suffers from extremely basic card design. There are no casual buildarounds, no combos that weren't clearly baked into the game. Way too many +X to one star or another cards.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
They're my gateway into the game's world. "Who are these kids on this weird island" is not a small nitpick. It's basic world building that falls flat but you just have to go with it and watch completely random stuff happen until you get to the part where you have to traverse to disney worlds. Nomura stories always seem to involve characters doing certain things for the imagery of it but with zero practical dimension. The island is just there so Sora, Riku and Kairi can hang out by the palm trees so it looks good but I can't ground myself in this fiction, I just can't and it deflates the revelation of being introduced to the keyblade and the light vs dark stuff.

Out of all the bullshit in kingdom hearts, you take issue with three kids hanging out on an island?

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
The Division

Such a great setting, amazing technology and a shallow, dumb, mind numbingly repetitive game slapped on top of it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Out of all the bullshit in kingdom hearts, you take issue with three kids hanging out on an island?
Yes because that's where the issues begin. It's the small unexplainable things like these that ramp up as the storytelling progresses until you have hundreds of questions about everything because it was all vague and nonsensical to an extent right off the bat. The introduction is supposed to introduce you to the concepts and to provide proper exposition about what the setting is, who the main character is and what is going on in the larger picture which will affect them. To me KH1 fails at the premise, and when I got increasingly confused about what was even happening anymore during KH2 and other games I attribute it to the way it already had those warning signs from the moment it started.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The OP already covered Kingdom Hearts and Mass Effect from my choices, so I'm going to focus on Dragon Age. Now I've liked both 2 and Inquisition despite their flaws but this series should be cited amongst the best in all gaming by this point but due to EA rushing the development of Dragon Age II and Inquisition being cross-gen/in the middle of the open world craze both suffered greatly. Now despite Inquisition being the best selling Bioware game ever and having won overall GOTY 2014, the series is still being neglected and we won't see DA4 till like 2022 at the earliest. Dragon Age should be a behemoth in this industry, the LOTR's of gaming but EA/Bioware screwed it all up.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
In a weird way -- and an opinion that is going to be very against a lot of people -- Pokemon. I love the games, and they're obviously popular (I think the most popular gaming franchise that exists?) but I always wanted it to evolve over time into something more robust and modern. I wanted a Pokemon game that plays like how the Anime felt, wandering around a huge amazing world and encountering pokemon and catching them, rather than the games sticking to the top down style with graphical and minor gameplay improvements over time. I always expected them to become this much larger thing and evolve in more ways than they did. It was probably a pipe dream, and they've made bank sticking with the style they have, but for me it's wasted potential with what the Pokemon games could have been vs what they were and are.

You made my post for me.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Yes because that's where the issues begin. It's the small unexplainable things like these that ramp up as the storytelling progresses until you have hundreds of questions about everything because it was all vague and nonsensical to an extent right off the bat. The introduction is supposed to introduce you to the concepts and to provide proper exposition about what the setting is, who the main character is and what is going on in the larger picture which will affect them. To me KH1 fails at the premise, and when I got increasingly confused about what was even happening anymore during KH2 and other games I attribute it to the way it already had those warning signs from the moment it started.

The intro to KH1 introduces three characters who hang on an island and establishes their close friendship, then they get split apart and that's the main conflict of the story. It ain't deep

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who are these kids living on this lonely island? How do they live, where do they get their clothes? Why is Sora almost not surprised when he gets a keyblade? Why do they hardly explain what is going on at the end with the door, how did Sora suddenly win just because he decided the door was made of light and just what is "Kingdom Hearts".

What frustrates me when people say KH became a mess is that they almost never admit that even the first game was pretty incoherent and its premise was not very clear from the get-go.
Why do you even need any of these setting details? I played this as a teen and even then I could easily take context clues that this was a smaller island the kids came to hang out on away from their parents. Where do they get their clothes? Are you serious right now? Sora not being surprised is your (wrong) viewpoint of that scene and no Sora didn't win because he decided it was light, it was light all along. Even if it was supposed to be that way I don't see a problem, the main character's struggles being that he has to end up with that positive viewpoint despite all the terrible things that have happened to him and the villain trying to cast doubt on that with his cynical viewpoint.

It has that Disney magic because these things are left unexplained, just like in those Disney movies they're unimportant to the tale being told. Is The Lion King ruined for you because it's not explained why all the animals worship the thing that's going to eat them and somehow Simba is a fully healthy adult lion living off a diet of bugs?

They're my gateway into the game's world. "Who are these kids on this weird island" is not a small nitpick. It's basic world building that falls flat but you just have to go with it and watch completely random stuff happen until you get to the part where you have to traverse to disney worlds. Nomura stories always seem to involve characters doing certain things for the imagery of it but with zero practical dimension. The island is just there so Sora, Riku and Kairi can hang out by the palm trees so it looks good but I can't ground myself in this fiction, I just can't and it deflates the revelation of being introduced to the keyblade and the light vs dark stuff.
I think you're failing at being able to relate to basic human desires, like being stuck on a chain of islands doing the same thing and wanting to build a boat to explore the world. That's really all we need to know about our main characters, they're friends who want more than this small island life.

So you think there being a bunch of exposition in a long intro about how the economy of Destiny Islands works would have made the game a lot better? I'll take giving us just enough info on our main characters for us to have some feelings for them before we got our call to adventure, while mundane stuff is left for us to infer as it should be.

This might be the most tone deaf take I've ever seen on a game/series and I've read the thread about how Ico is irrelevant thanks to Portal.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
The original Triforce hunt in Wind Waker could have been much better than it was, sort of felt like it didn't quite fit (plus it was expensive to decode the maps). Could have been a series of mini-dungeons or a big dungeon/cave with various puzzle elements to earn the pieces.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Destiny

Even after t years, this franchise has boundless potential unlike any other game,

As Much as I love it, there is a lot to loathe, hopefully without Activision squeezing them to deadlines, they can fulfill that potential.

Mirror's Edge

No Man's Sky

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
Yes because that's where the issues begin. It's the small unexplainable things like these that ramp up as the storytelling progresses until you have hundreds of questions about everything because it was all vague and nonsensical to an extent right off the bat. The introduction is supposed to introduce you to the concepts and to provide proper exposition about what the setting is, who the main character is and what is going on in the larger picture which will affect them.
now this is useless story nitpicking - the beginning of kh1 almost immediately intoduces the light vs dark theme. on that island.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
now this is useless story nitpicking - the beginning of kh1 almost immediately intoduces the light vs dark theme. on that island.
I struggled to follow it, because of the way it's presented. Sora has some dream, and it talks about how stuff happens when you have a nightmare, and implies Riku is gonna be the symbol of Darkness and Sora is the light but it's weird.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I may be one of the only people on the entire internet who will cop to having played and finished this. No regrets, I enjoyed this one as C-tier FPS. It lived up to its maximum potential tho.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have the he already on Steam and I have plans to play the he as well. I just heard bad things about the game that why I leave it for some time.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly say Pokemon. Its status quo is great but the possibilities for it are nearly endless.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I absolutely love MGS V. I think not only is it a great game but also a great Metal Gear Solid game.

That being said, it could have been so much better.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I still enjoy Metroid: Other M.

With some better dialogue scripting and voice acting, it could have been a great telling of a story about Samus reconciling with events in her personal and military past, as well as lingering traumas, and pushed forward a faction of the Federation as the next Big Bad of the series (as Fusion had previously set up). Structurally, the game was what I had wanted from Metroid for years in terms of its gameplay and narrative approach. It just couldn't stick the landing. But it's hard to bring this up with any nuance because the fanbase is convinced that Other M is Satan in video game form and how fucking dare I say anything positive or constructive about it.

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018
Jade Empire. Only one game in the 'series' but it was a huge let down for me.

Regarding Mass Effect, I feel the series best game is Mass Effect 3. Regarding the first two I think the second is better than the first. The gameplay of Mass Effect is much worse than the two games that came after. None of the games are perfect but I really don't like the gameplay, structure, level design or overall design of the first game especially compared to the next two. Regarding the story I still prefer ME3 I think to the others though I am not sure which of the first two games I prefer right now.

Overall, ME3 is my favorite.

Andromeda kinda sucks based on how much I have played. It is the first Mass Effect game I am struggling to finish on the first playthrough.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think your examples are insane OP, but agree to disagree haha.

I say Lost Planet. The games never really broke out of the B game stereotype (even in a generation where those seemed to go away with the jump to HD) and I always felt that there could have been a more "serious" story to tell in a Starship Troopers like sci-fi universe. But the story and universe never really stuck with me.

Meanwhile, the EDF series embraced the camp of it all and is still going strong.