• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
Did any of you, out of nostalgia, tried to launch Spider-Man 2 on PC expecting to play your favourite Spidey game until you realize something is clearly wrong ?

spm2gc008.jpg
sma2pc003.jpg

Hey that's not the same game ! Indeed, Treyarch was in charge of the console version while The Fizz Factor made the PC one. They have the same name and the same cover though !

spm2xb0f.jpg
75673-spider-man-2-the-game-windows-front-cover.jpg

Is there other instances of this (which are obviously not mobile/handheld ports) ?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about Spider-Man, Web of Shadows was an open world action game on the PS3/360/PC, but on the PS2 and PSP it was a 2.5D beat-em-up.

Also, Spider-Man 3 was different on PS2 than on the next gen consoles:

Dec 7, 2017
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands on Wii is an entirely different game to the PS360PC game with a different story as well.
It's also a lot more freeform in it's gimmick so I think it's actually better.

I know you said not including handheld ports as well, but it also was on NDS and PSP and both of those are also different to each other as well.
4 different games all with the same name, cover, release date(generally) but no other real connection storywise. So bizarre

Last edited:

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Powerslave versions for the Playstation and Saturn are not the same as the PC version. Hell even the PSX and Saturn are different between themselves.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Shadowrun on SNES and Genesis were two totally different games that were both great.

Genesis:

Shadowrun_%2528SMD%2529_18.gif

Snes:

3ad8e151e8eedae3bd8fc6fe4c003292.gif

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Adventures of Batman & Robin is a completely different game on SNES (action platformer), Genesis (beat 'em up/run and gun, and sometimes shmup), Sega CD (driving game [with awesome cartoon cutscenes made just for the game]), and Game Gear (never actually played this one).

They all have their positives and negatives, none are great, but they're decent.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Sonic has the same name on MD and MS/GG, but are very different games.

9052529-0.jpg

51obZp%2BFLSL._AC_.jpg

EDIT: Same for Castle of Illusion, Aladdin and a lot of more of that era.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happened a lot with handheld games. Hell, FIFA still does it: the Switch version is effectively a different engine, even. Outside of that, one of the most notable one has to be the Aladdin game, which had two completely different and unrelated versions.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I worked in the vicinity of the console ports of Delta Force: Black Hawk Down. It's no huge surprise that the console ports are different from the (much earlier) PC version, but many reviewers missed that the Xbox version was also significantly different from the PS2 version. For a short time - when, as I understand it, there was some dissatisfaction with Xbox development - I did work on a *direct* Xbox port of the PS2 version, but in the end the publishers declined to go with it.

When the game was released, my bosses pushed hard to make sure that reviews of the (generally regarded as inferior) Xbox version weren't just repasted as reviews of the PS2 iteration.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wasn't Aladdin different on the SNES and Megadrive?

I know the basics were the same but I'm sure the graphics and level designs were different?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The 8-bit micro days for UK games were wild for this with designers often working on maps or designs on paper and mailing photocopies to various coders who did their own interpretation.

Powerslave versions for the Playstation and Saturn are not the same as the PC version. Hell even the PSX and Saturn are different between themselves.
I love Exhumed/Powerslave so much but the differences are mostly in lighting and crab colour. Definitely not a different game.

Quake on the Saturn is still Quake despite the stairs being replaced with slopes. It just wheelchair accessible.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
The 8-bit micro days for UK games were wild for this with designers often working on maps or designs on paper and mailing photocopies to various coders who did their own interpretation.

I love Exhumed/Powerslave so much but the differences are mostly in lighting and crab colour. Definitely not a different game.

Quake on the Saturn is still Quake despite the stairs being replaced with slopes. It just wheelchair accessible.
Hmmm I need to give these games anothe ride. The engine was so different, or so it seemed back then.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Prince Of Persia Forgotten Sand --- the game has 4 different version; Wii, PS3/X360, PSP & NDS. Each either feature different gameplay, artstyle, story or all 3.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splitter Cell: Double Agent was like different games with the "same story" on PS2 and next-gen.
This is a good example, specially given it has a weird detail: the main Splinter Cell studio actually did the current-gen version (OG Xbox version, made by Ubi Montreal, Chaos Theory team), not the next-gen one (360/PS3, made by Ubi Shanghai, the ones from Pandora Tomorrow). I think this team organization is pretty much the opposite of most other cross gen games, where the main team did the next gen version and a smaller team did the current gen one.

The OG Xbox version is better IMO

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
NFS 3/4/5/Hot pursuit 2 were very different games depending on the platform.

I think NFS 1 and 2 too but I never played multiple versions of those.

NFS3 and 4 were curious because there was no definitive version. The PC version had generally more content, cleaner environments, longer career modes and higher framerate and also a cockpit view - whereas the PS1 version had better car models and better, more realistic driving physics.

with NFS 4 the difference was even bigger because the PC version actually had all the tracks from NFS 3 in it, and had much, much better damage modeling but the PS1 version had more music and the driving model was just so much more damn enjoyable. Also, some of the car models of the PC version are really really awful like the BMW Z3, whereas the PS1 version has some of the best car models of the console, especially when you consider how detailed the interiors are (GT didnt have interior detail in the PS1 era)

NFS 5, the PS1 version was arcadey as hell, still a good game mind you, but you could trash cars around like they were matchboxes.
The PC version of NFS 5 is one of the best simcades ever made imo, even to this day. The physics could not be any more different. These games didn't even share tracks, all the track layouts were different, the PC version had far more point to point races whereas the PS1 version had more circuits. The factory driver mode existed in both versions but had completely different objectives in general, which was funny.

Hot Pursuit 2 is a funny one because unlike in other cases, most people don't actually realize how different the PS2 version is from the rest. The PS2 version is the best one, by far, and the other versions (PC, GC, Xbox) are while still a fun game, is clearly inferior. Considerably worse career structure, worse driving model, way less exciting track design.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
There's a ton. But I think my favorite example is TMNT (2007) on PS2 and GBA.
gwdKtlDbekvh28J0ceZ9Iab2VrnAtmWjMwHS2aPSy9o50qwUF8l-uxJTFbSrRp-5MUgzrt7XTitHXD9kxU0vRPF2dWjDaDWnPaqhN3t7-UxvO--uWw64YEcL8gIzJnA

The PS2 game was a bland 3D repetitive platforming button masher.
3-TMNT%20(USA).png

The GBA version was a 2D arcade beat em up like the NES/SNES/Arcade games. It's so damn good.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sim City on the SNES was essentially a midway point between SimCity and SimCity 2000.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon's Lair's another one that springs to mind:

Original laserdisc arcade game (also reasonably ported to 16-bit computers):
yte8jfJ.png

NES game (slow-paced extremely difficult platformer):
foJJsG1.png

SNES (more conventional platformer - I think the Genesis is fundamentally the same)):
ZsFjYwf.png

8-bit home computer game (Kind of a minigame collection, I guess, but generally taking clear inspiration from scenes from the original game):
nlRJAaD.png

And the real weird one, that blew my mind when I found out about it:

Game Boy (Straight platformer, actually a rebranding of a classic Spectrum game from 1985 called Roller Coaster)
Jia1cNi.png

Ioi6fCt.png

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Same Name, Different game: Beavis & Butt-Head
snes_beavis_and_butthead_p_o6e9ma.jpg
gen_beavis_and_butt-head_p_hfvarv.jpg

The SNES version was a crappy side-scroller while the Genesis version was a slightly better adventure game. there are also Gameboy & Game Gear versions.

Same Name, Different game: Star Wars The Force Unleashed
SWTFU_PS3.jpg
wii_star_wars_the_force_unleashed_p_c8ljyd.jpg

The HD version (PC/X360/PS3) is very different from the SD version (Wii/PS2/PSP). They are both God of War clones with similar stories but I personally think the SD version is better despite looking worse

Same Name, Different game: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Mercs_2_World_in_Flames_PS3_ESRB.jpg
Mercs_2_World_in_Flames_PS2_ESRB.jpg

The PS2 version is really bad that's all you need to know.

First person tactical shooter vs. cover based third person shooter

lVuJHXF.jpg
TeLNYUX.jpg
There was also a very bad PS2 version that was a FPS as well.

babuchy

The Fallen
Nov 3, 2017
If I remember correctly, I think that Sonic the Hedgehog had different levels from Mega Drive and Master System versions

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the NES/Master System and Super Nintendo/Megadrive eras' games were like that. It was pretty fun to play the same game and realizing it was totally different when playing at a friend's house if he had a different system.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Dragon's Lair's another one that springs to mind:

Original laserdisc arcade game (also reasonably ported to 16-bit computers):
yte8jfJ.png

NES game (slow-paced extremely difficult platformer):
foJJsG1.png

SNES (more conventional platformer - I think the Genesis is fundamentally the same)):
ZsFjYwf.png

8-bit home computer game (Kind of a minigame collection, I guess, but generally taking clear inspiration from scenes from the original game):
nlRJAaD.png

And the real weird one, that blew my mind when I found out about it:

Game Boy (Straight platformer, actually a rebranding of a classic Spectrum game from 1985 called Roller Coaster)
Jia1cNi.png

Ioi6fCt.png
And then there's the GameBoy Color version:

Which IS the same game, surprisingly enough. Also how the heck did they do that?

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie game on console (PS2,GC,Xbox) is way different than on PC.

Console version is like previous Battle for Bikini Bottom, a full 3D action game but PC is a point and click adventure, which disappointed me back then, thinking that the PC would be the same as console with better graphics since they have the same name..

Oct 29, 2017
This was the case with almost every single multiplatform game from the 8bit and 16bit eras.

High level programming was not a thing and you had to code each version completely from scratch back then. Most of the time, developers would just make entierly original games for each platform.

Pretty much every arcade port from the 8bit era was an entierly original game as well.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Sonic Generations on 3DS was a different game compared to its console counterpart.

You had entirely different levels, different music and different boss fights.

Dec 2, 2017
Sonic generations on 3DS is way different from the PS3 and 360 versions. It's all 2D, and they chose different levels from each game.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Street Fighter II literally everywhere. There are no two versions alike and it was ported to every possible platform.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

The PC version of Powerslave/Exhumed is notably different from the console versions. Far moreso than something like Quake is. There's a DF Retro episode that goes into detail about the differences (I've timestamped the beginning of the PC comparison for you):