• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Between the PC, PS1, and the PS2/Xbox/GCN there are 3 different versions of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, same thing for Chamber of Secrets. I had the PS1 versions, a friend had them for PC, and another friend had em for XBox. It was surreal as hell but totally worth it. I even think the Xbox versions were slightly different than PS2/Gc.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
That reminds me. How could I forget one of my favorite examples of this...

Same Name Different Game: The Sims 2

The_sims_2.jpg
the+sims+2.jpg

The console version of the Sims 2 is awesome! Direct control & local mp makes this version one of my favorite if not my favorite Sims game!

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is an entirely different game to the PS360PC game with a different story as well.
It's also a lot more freeform in it's gimmick so I think it's actually better.

I know you said not including handheld ports as well, but it also was on NDS and PSP and both of those are also different to each other as well.
4 different games all with the same name, cover, release date(generally) but no other real connection storywise. So bizarre
Forgotten Sands is 4 games: PS360 / Wii / PSp / Nds.

And they are all pretty good!

Another mythical example is SC Double Agent:
51RZD5MR46L._AC_.jpg

totally different than

0ffebd5ae1dc46abb677e9754a953126_Original.jpg

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Dead Rising on Xbox 360 (and PC/PS4/XB1) vs. the highly-truncated version on Wii, subtitled "Chop Till You Drop". CTYD featured a much smaller mall, no photography element [!?], fewer items, fewer bosses, fewer endings, and a ton of other reductions just to get the game running on the Wii.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
they were made by different people I think but

Jurassic Park Megadrive

hqdefault.jpg

Jurassic Park Snes

qof33bichb431.jpg

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That reminds me. How could I forget one of my favorite examples of this...

Same Name Different Game: The Sims 2

The_sims_2.jpg
the+sims+2.jpg

The console version of the Sims 2 is awesome! Direct control & local mp makes this version one of my favorite if not my favorite Sims game!

I loved the console version of The Sims 2! I wish The Sims 4 had a 3rd person control option :(

Dec 25, 2018
Bionicle Heroes Is a completely different game between the Console, DS and GBA versions.
On consoles it was a 3rd person shooter.

on DS it was a 1st person shooter

and on GBA it was an isomteric shooter (I don't if that would classify as a twinstick givent he GBAs lack of stick controls).

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I love how pretty much every "multiplatform" game from the 360/Xbox crossgen days and earlier all had different versions, frequently by different teams. Can you imagine that today, in an era where most of us have the expendable income that we never did back then? The FOMO would be wild.

Luck

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Driver: San Francisco - Wii vs. X360/PS3/PC

Wii:
- different missions and perhaps even plot (can't really remember)
- different concept of city map due to lack of Wii power
- you can't even switch cars on the fly which was the best feature of the "normal" version

Damn, I wish they made a sequel with the same cars switching mechanics but for next-gens with the capabilities of the new hardware (much more ram and fast SSD). That could be sooooo good. What a shame that Ubisoft has completely forgot about these series...

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Gearbox's PC version of 007 Nightfire, originally made by Eurocom for PS2/GC/Xbox, is not a port but a very loose and fairly crappy reinterpretation of the game using the GoldSrc engine.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Spidey 2 on PC was the one I played. Needless to say I was very confused when I head everyone say how fantastic the Spidey 2 game was lol.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Age of Empires: Age of Kings. RTS on PC/PS2, TBS on DS.

I recall Crash of the Titans being totally different between PS2 and DS.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I loved the console version of The Sims 2! I wish The Sims 4 had a 3rd person control option :(
There is a mod for the PC version of The Sims 4 that adds direct control. It's a bit janky but very impressive. The Sims 3 got a version of this mod by the same creator that works a lot better.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Pretty sure Need For Speed: The Run fits this category. My brother in law had the PS3 version and I had the Wii version. I vaguely remember completely different levels.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Sonic Lost World on 3DS was a different game from the Wii U/PC version. No DLC, and I think most stages were completely different? Otherwise the plot and overall structure stayed the same.

(Feel free to correct me on any of this. It's been years since I played both games.)

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
latest

Brilliant game, and totally different scenario, setting, characters (Snake excluded, obvs) from the PS1 title.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
Quake II for the N64 is completely different from the PC version. I mean, they have the same look, enemies and weapons, but the levels are completely new. There's some new items and power ups and some new effects.
It's pretty dope

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

C'mon, the genesis game is a graphical showcase of what the hardware can do and a great ost from the composer of Assassins Creed...
I agree! It's definitely the best looking Genesis game I've played. Some of the levels and bosses are just... really bad, though. The hang glider shmup level is literally 17 minutes long. That's not okay!

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is an entirely different game to the PS360PC game with a different story as well.
It's also a lot more freeform in it's gimmick so I think it's actually better.

I know you said not including handheld ports as well, but it also was on NDS and PSP and both of those are also different to each other as well.
4 different games all with the same name, cover, release date(generally) but no other real connection storywise. So bizarre
Different story? How? I've played the PS3 and the PC versions, they were identical except for the minor differences in visuals. That said, I still haven't beat the game on PC.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Splinter Cell Double Agent is the biggest recent example that comes to mind.

And I actually think the Xbox/PS2 version is better than the 360/PS3/PC version.

360/PS3/PC is "version 1":
splintercell.fandom.com

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Version 1)

For the sixth-generation console version, see Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Version 2). Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent is the fourth installment in the Splinter Cell series of video games developed and published by Ubisoft and endorsed by American author Tom Clancy. The...

Xbox/PS2 is "version 2", and more similar to the previous SC games before it:
splintercell.fandom.com

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Version 2)

For the seventh-generation console version, see Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Version 1). Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent is the fourth installment in the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series of video games developed and published by Ubisoft. The series, endorsed by American...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think Gremlins 2 sets the record by having five completely different games based on it:
- A screen-by-screen platformer where you play as Billy (PC, Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore).
- A sidescrilling platformer, as Billy (Spectrum, Amstrad). Notable in that it's the better game compared to the above despite running on inferior hardware.
- A tilted overhead game, as Billy (PC).
- A hellish side platformer, as Gizmo (GB).
- A truly great overhead shooter, as Gizmo (NES).

Shadowrun on SNES and Genesis were two totally different games that were both great.

Genesis:

Shadowrun_%2528SMD%2529_18.gif

Snes:

3ad8e151e8eedae3bd8fc6fe4c003292.gif

Hell yeah; probably among the very few examples in this thread where both of the games were absolutely fantastic.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Same Name, Different game: Star Wars The Force Unleashed
SWTFU_PS3.jpg
wii_star_wars_the_force_unleashed_p_c8ljyd.jpg

The HD version (PC/X360/PS3) is very different from the SD version (Wii/PS2/PSP). They are both God of War clones with similar stories but I personally think the SD version is better despite looking worse
Man this is trippy. I literally thought about making a thread about this exact topic yesterday and my memory of the PS2 version of The Force Unleashed was the reason. Crazy.

The game wasn't bad. I was initially very dissapointed because, for some reason, uhh STARKILLER DOESN'T HOLD HIS LIGHTSABER BACKWARDS ON THE SD VERSION!
It was the coolest thing about his character and it's absent. He holds it forward the entire time like a basic bitch. My 13 year old self was distraught
This (PS3)
blus-30144-game-ss-1

VS. This (PS2)
41euzPygEyL.jpg

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I think Gremlins 2 sets the record by having five completely different games based on it:
- A screen-by-screen platformer where you play as Billy (PC, Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore).
- A sidescrilling platformer, as Billy (Spectrum, Amstrad). Notable in that it's the better game compared to the above despite running on inferior hardware.
- A tilted overhead game, as Billy (PC).
- A hellish side platformer, as Gizmo (GB).
- A truly great overhead shooter, as Gizmo (NES).

Hell yeah; probably among the very few examples in this thread where both of the games were absolutely fantastic.
Batman Returns has more completely different games as well:

NES version is a beat em up not like the others
SMS/GG versions are platformers not like the others
SNES version is a beat em up closer to the movie
GEN version is a platformer that goes it's own route and is too difficult
SCD version has the Genesis stages but is also a driving game with driving stages unlike the others and has a new soundtrack
Lynx version is just a side scroller that's completely unlike the others with just 4 stages
Amiga version is both a platformer and beat em up unlike the others

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The Lunar games ended up being very different between their original versions and the later remakes. The title of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete for the Playstation makes it sounds like a port of the original Sega CD version of Lunar Silver Star, but Complete is actually a really major rewrite of the story that adds in new characters and makes a ton of other changes. The GBA version of Lunar Silver Star is once again a whole new game with significant gameplay and story differences from the earlier versions.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animaniacs on the genesis and snes were two different games.

I always preferred the snes one (better music)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Batman Returns has more completely different games as well:

NES version is a beat em up not like the others
SMS/GG versions are platformers not like the others
SNES version is a beat em up closer to the movie
GEN version is a platformer that goes it's own route and is too difficult
SCD version has the Genesis stages but is also a driving game with driving stages unlike the others and has a new soundtrack
Lynx version is just a side scroller that's completely unlike the others with just 4 stages
Amiga version is both a platformer and beat em up unlike the others

I knew Batman Returns had quite a few versions (I played the SNES and the Genesis ones; grabbing two thugs and smashing their heads together was quite satisfying in the former), but I didn't know it was that many, holy shit. Warner sure liked to go all-in with their movie adaptations during the early 90s. :D

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Batman Returns had quite a few versions (I played the SNES and the Genesis ones; grabbing two thugs and smashing their heads together was quite satisfying in the former), but I didn't know it was that many, holy shit. Warner sure liked to go all-in with their movie adaptations during the early 90s. :D
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Terminator 1 was also very different on pretty much every system it was on too(NES, SNES, GEN, SCD, DOS).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis) and The Revenge of Shinobi (GBA). Same name, which is just... deceptive. How the second one was ever OK'd by Sega, I'll never know.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions count, just based on visuals? I've only seen youtube videos of other versions but the Xbox one (which is what I played) literally looks like a next gen game compared to the other ports. Not sure if everything else is the same though

First person tactical shooter vs. cover based third person shooter

bVRw3WP.jpg
x1VNhYI.jpg
I remember the PC version only having a wire frame view for your teammate's camera, and the 360 version had a full/actual feed because the 360 was more powerful than your typical PC at the time.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Ninja Gaiden arcade, NES, Master System are all totally different games. NES version rules the roost.

One that always pissed me off as a kid was Turtles: Tournament Fighters on SNES/MD. The SNES version is a rather good fighting game, but the Mega Drive version is crap. Same developers, similar hardware. What gives?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
First person tactical shooter vs. cover based third person shooter

bVRw3WP.jpg
x1VNhYI.jpg

I thought it was the PC and 360 version that were cover-based third person, and PS2/XBox were FPS? I remember trying this on 360 at my friend's house and then renting it for PS2 at my house and being supremely confused and disappointed

EDIT: oh now I see, the PC version was also a FPS. Wow that is interesting. Maybe the team was worried about the controls on PC, very weird

Last edited:

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Different story? How? I've played the PS3 and the PC versions, they were identical except for the minor differences in visuals. That said, I still haven't beat the game on PC.
the HD versions were all the same

the Wii version is the one that's the entirely different game

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
drop-114028-68213929b4d465d8ece7c52a8c16557a16e4d_1.jpg
51xNTGy3WAL._SX466_.jpg

=/=

Edit:
If the SD/HD era counts, Sonic Unleashed was pretty different and I was very fond of Wii's Eggmanland.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion Mega-Drive/Genesis and Master System.

Ghostbusters PSP/Wii vs 360/PS3/PC

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker Spectrum/Amiga vs Arcade vs Genesis/MD vs Master System

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Same Name, Different game: Beavis & Butt-Head
snes_beavis_and_butthead_p_o6e9ma.jpg
gen_beavis_and_butt-head_p_hfvarv.jpg

The SNES version was a crappy side-scroller while the Genesis version was a slightly better adventure game. there are also Gameboy & Game Gear versions.
I had the game on Genesis and I had a friend in elementary school who had it on SNES. And we both owned both systems. So we did a swap of this game. I really didn't like the SNES game at all. I liked the Genesis one a lot more, but it took me months until I really "got" the game and understood there was an order you had to do things in and there were areas where you could fuck yourself over and make the game unbeatable. It wasn't until more than a decade later that I played my first point and click adventure game and I was like, "Oh shit, Beavis and Butt-Head was an adventure game!"

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
One of my favorite examples of this is Hook, which had 4 different games I think.

There was:
  1. the multiplayer, side-scrolling beat 'em up on Arcade
    maxresdefault.jpg

2. the platformer on SNES/Genesis/Sega CD/Gamegear
    final-fantasy-1-gba-screen-shot-2016-08-25-12-13-pm.jpg

3. another platformer on NES/Gameboy/C64
    maxresdefault.jpg

4. and an awesome point-and-click adventure on Amiga and Atari ST
    78261.jpg