• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
drop-114028-68213929b4d465d8ece7c52a8c16557a16e4d_1.jpg
51xNTGy3WAL._SX466_.jpg

=/=
TIL that in PAL regions Circle of the Moon had no subtitle. That's neato.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Street Fighter: The Movie arcade and Playstation/Saturn. Drastically different games with different gameplay mechanics, roster, stages, everything.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Same Name, Different game: Star Wars The Force Unleashed
SWTFU_PS3.jpg
wii_star_wars_the_force_unleashed_p_c8ljyd.jpg

The HD version (PC/X360/PS3) is very different from the SD version (Wii/PS2/PSP). They are both God of War clones with similar stories but I personally think the SD version is better despite looking worse
Same with the sequel. The Wii version of the Force Unleashed 2 was developed by Red Fly Studios and was vastly superior to the other versions. It was kinda ugly looking, but they did manage an artstyle that made the best of the Wii's limitations. They also did Ghostbusters for Wii, which was again the superior version of the game in every respect other than how it looked.

They were also working on that Darth Maul game that got cancelled. Would have been awesome.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The Donkey Kong Land games are often overlooked as demakes to Donkey Kong Country, but they have just enough differences to be their own set of games.

There's even an exclusive theme for King K. Rool not found in the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack.

Here's an unofficial SNES re-creation of the track.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
The PC version of Powerslave/Exhumed is notably different from the console versions. Far moreso than something like Quake is. There's a DF Retro episode that goes into detail about the differences (I've timestamped the beginning of the PC comparison for you):

This was such a neat game. Has there ever been any word on a remaster for this game? I remember a while back there was powerslave ex which was a fan made source port of the game that was shut down after its first release. Then maybe a year or two ago there was word that a studio trademarked the game and hinted at a remaster, but I dont think I have seen anything about the game since then.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was the PC and 360 version that were cover-based third person, and PS2/XBox were FPS? I remember trying this on 360 at my friend's house and then renting it for PS2 at my house and being supremely confused and disappointed

EDIT: oh now I see, the PC version was also a FPS. Wow that is interesting. Maybe the team was worried about the controls on PC, very weird
The PC version also has very different level design and missions, heck it's missing missions from the 360 version. Also the multiplayer between both versions are completely different as well, 360 has more modes for example.
I just wanted to take a moment and say fuck Batman Returns on the Genesis. What a pile of hot garbage.
Yeah I'm not a fan of it's difficulty, and it seems cheaply designed.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Man this is trippy. I literally thought about making a thread about this exact topic yesterday and my memory of the PS2 version of The Force Unleashed was the reason. Crazy.

The game wasn't bad. I was initially very dissapointed because, for some reason, uhh STARKILLER DOESN'T HOLD HIS LIGHTSABER BACKWARDS ON THE SD VERSION!
It was the coolest thing about his character and it's absent. He holds it forward the entire time like a basic bitch. My 13 year old self was distraught
This (PS3)
blus-30144-game-ss-1

VS. This (PS2)
41euzPygEyL.jpg
When I got the game on the Wii (which was my first copy) Starkiller holding his Lightsaber like a normy annoyed the heck out of me as well. Him holding the Lightsaber backwards in the HD versions was & still is a cool design decision.

I had the game on Genesis and I had a friend in elementary school who had it on SNES. And we both owned both systems. So we did a swap of this game. I really didn't like the SNES game at all. I liked the Genesis one a lot more, but it took me months until I really "got" the game and understood there was an order you had to do things in and there were areas where you could fuck yourself over and make the game unbeatable. It wasn't until more than a decade later that I played my first point and click adventure game and I was like, "Oh shit, Beavis and Butt-Head was an adventure game!"
Yeah I can't stand the SNES version. I have issues with the Genesis version but it represents the source material a lot better. Oh & if you still like point & click games check out Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity. Though you will need to use a program called ScummVM to run it on a modern PC.

Same with the sequel. The Wii version of the Force Unleashed 2 was developed by Red Fly Studios and was vastly superior to the other versions. It was kinda ugly looking, but they did manage an artstyle that made the best of the Wii's limitations. They also did Ghostbusters for Wii, which was again the superior version of the game in every respect other than how it looked.

They were also working on that Darth Maul game that got cancelled. Would have been awesome.
Huh, I never knew about the Wii version of the Force Unleashed 2. I figured that late into the Wii's life cycle they would have done a crappy downport or worse. Definitely something I want to check out now. And can't believe I also forgot about the really cool cartooney Ghostbusters game on the Wii. Ended up playing that version more than my PC copy because of the controls.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
164615-virtual-open-tennis-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg
ps1_v-tennis-238948.jpg

Same cover, same company but completely different game( down to the V Tennis/ V Tennis Virtual Open title variations).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
TwilightPrincess_Wii.jpg
tlozgc0f.jpg

They're nothing alike - like the opposite of one another. Like, wtf Nintendo

sorry 😢

Rook

Oct 30, 2017
Did any of you, out of nostalgia, tried to launch Spider-Man 2 on PC expecting to play your favourite Spidey game until you realize something is clearly wrong ?

spm2gc008.jpg
sma2pc003.jpg

Hey that's not the same game ! Indeed, Treyarch was in charge of the console version while The Fizz Factor made the PC one. They have the same name and the same cover though !

spm2xb0f.jpg
75673-spider-man-2-the-game-windows-front-cover.jpg

Is there other instances of this (which are obviously not mobile/handheld ports) ?

does it say "assrape puma" in the bottom left of the second screenshot

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Jurassic Park Genesis > SNES. Vastly different games, like not even remotely the same. The Genesis one was fucking great though, never liked the SNES one.

Oct 31, 2017
latest

Brilliant game, and totally different scenario, setting, characters (Snake excluded, obvs) from the PS1 title.

I guess they ditched the subtitle in the US as it wasn't/isn't a port of MGS ! :D

Edit: oh, according to wiki, this game was a request from Konami Europe as they wanted a portable MGS... And we got GB in the end. That's pretty interesting !

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
wurQ90H.jpg

RkKnXNd.jpg

SNES version might legit be the best TV-to-game adaptation ever.

Splinter Cell Double Agent is the biggest recent example that comes to mind.

And I actually think the Xbox/PS2 version is better than the 360/PS3/PC version.

360/PS3/PC is "version 1":
splintercell.fandom.com

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Version 1)

For the sixth-generation console version, see Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Version 2). Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent is the fourth installment in the Splinter Cell series of video games developed and published by Ubisoft and endorsed by American author Tom Clancy. The...

Xbox/PS2 is "version 2", and more similar to the previous SC games before it:
splintercell.fandom.com

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Version 2)

For the seventh-generation console version, see Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Version 1). Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent is the fourth installment in the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series of video games developed and published by Ubisoft. The series, endorsed by American...

Not many seem to realize this, but there are actually three versions of Double Agent:
360/PS3/PC
OG Xbox
PS2/GCN/Wii

I still haven't played it, but the original Xbox version is apparently different from the PS2, GameCube, and Wii versions, and many say it's in fact the best version.

I thought it was the PC and 360 version that were cover-based third person, and PS2/XBox were FPS? I remember trying this on 360 at my friend's house and then renting it for PS2 at my house and being supremely confused and disappointed

EDIT: oh now I see, the PC version was also a FPS. Wow that is interesting. Maybe the team was worried about the controls on PC, very weird

There are also three versions of GRAW: PC, 360/PS3, and PS2/OG Xbox

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
wurQ90H.jpg

RkKnXNd.jpg

SNES version might legit be the best TV-to-game adaptation ever.

Not many seem to realize this, but there are actually three versions of Double Agent:
360/PS3/PC
OG Xbox
PS2/GCN/Wii

I still haven't played it, but the original Xbox version is apparently different from the PS2, GameCube, and Wii versions, and many say it's in fact the best version.

There are also three versions of GRAW: PC, 360/PS3, and PS2/OG Xbox
GRAW 1 was never on PS3(PS3 wasn't out when it released). But yeah, the PC, 360 and PS2/Xbox versions were different from each other.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie game on console (PS2,GC,Xbox) is way different than on PC.

Console version is like previous Battle for Bikini Bottom, a full 3D action game but PC is a point and click adventure, which disappointed me back then, thinking that the PC would be the same as console with better graphics since they have the same name..

When we made games at Heavy Iron, the PC and lower platform (Like if we did PS3, PS2 would be the lower one) were all handled by Asobo. We kept in contact with them while we were working, but yeah, they did 90% their own things for their games.

Oddly enough, our games did RUN on the PC. We did most of our dev work and testing on PCs as long as our leads weren't watching us. (Testing on the actual consoles is obviously more realistic, but often slower)
But I guess finalizing the package and getting in the menu options, and all that stuff was a bridge too far. So we just had Asobo do the PC builds.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Veeery common during the portable PC and flat to early 3-D era. There were so many machines with wildly different specs. There was also the common factor of any port going to both SNES and Sege Genesis would have at least one exclusive level or mechanic while the other had something else. Or even whole different games. Tended to happen more with licensed properties.

Defender of the Crown is a prime example given that, at its core it's basically the same game, but at the same time, it was very different. The Amiga version had the best graphics but the worst gameplay, while the graphically inferior versions had much more fleshed out gameplay and were basically more fun to play.

Then you have wierd things that were totally different, like Willow for the computers and Willow for the NES and Willow for the Arcades. The first being sort of an adventure game the latter middle a Zelda-esque experience that most consider superior despite the more primitive graphics, and the last, Willow as a sidescrolling beat 'em up. All released withing a year of the movie's release in 1988.

SEALED-Vintage-Mindscape-Willow-Commodore-64-Big.jpg
willownesu.jpg
Willow_%28Capcom_arcade_game%29_poster.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Dragon's Lair.

Most home versions couldn't hope to come close to the arcade original, especially in the 80's and early 90's. The NES version was a platformer (or was it a SNES version? or both?). C64 version alternated between stages that mimicked the QTE gameplay of the arcade version (but used extremely basic sprites and static backgrounds), and stages that each had different gameplay, like trying to stay on a falling platform while not being pushed off by the wind, or jumping across rooftops fighting monsters. Despite being so many different versions, I don't think any of them were any good.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon's Lair.

Most home versions couldn't hope to come close to the arcade original, especially in the 80's and early 90's. The NES version was a platformer (or was it a SNES version? or both?). C64 version alternated between stages that mimicked the QTE gameplay of the arcade version (but used extremely basic sprites and static backgrounds), and stages that each had different gameplay, like trying to stay on a falling platform while not being pushed off by the wind, or jumping across rooftops fighting monsters. Despite being so many different versions, I don't think any of them were any good.
The NES version was more of a side scroller with some platforming here and there, but the SNES version is definitely a full on platformer.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
they were made by different people I think but

Jurassic Park Megadrive

hqdefault.jpg

Jurassic Park Snes

qof33bichb431.jpg
Jurassic Park wins this thread. It's not just these two - most other versions are also completely unique.

NES And Game Boy differ from the rest
Master System/Game Gear is totally different
3DO - horrible weird game
Sega CD - graphic adventure
Amiga and DOS - amazing and unique version

etc

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
The Sims Bustin Out and The Urbz: Sims in the City were story driven Adventure role-playing games (with sim elements like the needs, house decorating and social bars) on the GBA/DS, and they were 1000x better than their console counterparts.

Nov 8, 2017
This was practically the norm in the PS1/64/Saturn era and earlier. Or if not the norm, at least extremely common. Happened plenty in the PS2/XB/GC era too.

As a random example, The World Is Not Enough on N64 and PS1 are totally different, the former being much better than the latter. Then there's the Handheld version that is a 3rd, also completely different game (Obviously since it's on GBC!) and is the worst of the bunch by far.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Jurassic Park wins this thread. It's not just these two - most other versions are also completely unique.

NES And Game Boy differ from the rest
Master System/Game Gear is totally different
3DO - horrible weird game
Sega CD - graphic adventure
Amiga and DOS - amazing and unique version

etc
Batman Returns is a contender that competes since it has 7 different versions of the game across multiple systems.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
First person tactical shooter vs. cover based third person shooter

bVRw3WP.jpg
x1VNhYI.jpg

I remember this one. I was away for my first year of college and my younger brother, still in high school, back at home. We were both big Tom Clancy fans and followed the marketing of this game for the Xbox 360, which had just launched during that year, and this was one of the earlier window games I was looking forward to a lot. We both were expecting quite a different experience since it was doing the third-person perspective, but only I got a 360 that year and took it back to college with me, and got this game when it came out. I kept messaging my brother about how awesome it was, so he bought it for his PC, and he was like "yo holy shit, this game is actually much closer to an older Ghost Recon game on PC, lol! but I love it anyway." So weird, but we completely ignored any mention of the PC version and just assumed they'd all be the same.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Lunar games ended up being very different between their original versions and the later remakes. The title of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete for the Playstation makes it sounds like a port of the original Sega CD version of Lunar Silver Star, but Complete is actually a really major rewrite of the story that adds in new characters and makes a ton of other changes. The GBA version of Lunar Silver Star is once again a whole new game with significant gameplay and story differences from the earlier versions.

Silver Star Story Complete was always upfront about it being a remake, though. All those games had different titles, I don't think this works for the premise of the thread, it's just Game Arts reinventing the game with different remakes over the course of twenty years.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
giphy.gif

C'mon, the genesis game is a graphical showcase of what the hardware can do and a great ost from the composer of Assassins Creed...
Legitimately a favourite of mine on Genesis. I recall buying it on clearance because I had some birthday money. The concept of a brand new game for half price was really novel to me, I liked Batman and I had a Genesis, so it just made sense.

I think I had actually played the SNES game and expected that, but luckily I got something even better. It was something I'd bust out when a friend came over and we'd die a lot but have fun. The BAD BAD LUC cheat made things a little easier.

I can hear that intro music right now. Such a good game.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This feels like SNES Licensed Games Vs Genesis Licensed Games: The Thread.

Weren't the Animaniacs games different between the two systems, as well?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm trying to imagine an alternate reality where Splinter Cell Double Agent on the Xbox was made with 360 hardware in mind and the 360 version with Xbox/PS2 hardware instead.
That would be great 🤓

balohna

Nov 1, 2017

Ubisoft in particular was weird about PC versions around that time. Seems like you'd more often than not get the older gen version on PC. Maybe they were trying to sell to a broader market? King Kong was like that too, but I think the "HD" version later came to PC as well.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Sonic Unleashed Wii is the first that comes to mind for me. I like it more than the HD versions tbh, only issue from me is that the overworld is gutted completely. Both versions provide an interesting experience

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
GRAW 1 was never on PS3(PS3 wasn't out when it released). But yeah, the PC, 360 and PS2/Xbox versions were different from each other.
Yeah I got that mixed up with GRAW2, which did come out on PS3. There was also a PC GRAW2 that's a sequel to PC GRAW1, but I don't know if PS2/Xbox got their own version of GRAW2.
This was practically the norm in the PS1/64/Saturn era and earlier. Or if not the norm, at least extremely common. Happened plenty in the PS2/XB/GC era too.

As a random example, The World Is Not Enough on N64 and PS1 are totally different, the former being much better than the latter. Then there's the Handheld version that is a 3rd, also completely different game (Obviously since it's on GBC!) and is the worst of the bunch by far.
Yeah, multiplatform games didn't start to commonly be the same game on different platforms until like the PS2/GCN/Xbox era. And even then the Game Boy Advance version would be a totally different game -- usually a surprisingly good throwback to the 2D era, which happened a lot on the GBA and GBC (Daikatana, Max Payne 2, Medal of Honor, the early Harry Potter games, etc.). The hardware differences between platforms was just way bigger back then. The equivalent today is like, a mobile spin-off of a console game, and even now we got games like Civ-6 being ported whole-hog to phones.

Maybe fighting games would be generally the same across SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, N64, Game Boy, Game Gear, etc., but even they would have significant differences in graphics, sound, controls, and sometimes even rosters.

I remember playing N64 World is Not Enough. Had no idea it was that much better than the PlayStation version. That was the era when games like that started to become simple ports between N64 and PS1, and people usually preferred the PS1 version (earlier for some games it was between Saturn and PS1, I don't know if any games came out on Saturn, PS1, and N64).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Same Name, Different game: Star Wars The Force Unleashed
SWTFU_PS3.jpg
wii_star_wars_the_force_unleashed_p_c8ljyd.jpg

The HD version (PC/X360/PS3) is very different from the SD version (Wii/PS2/PSP). They are both God of War clones with similar stories but I personally think the SD version is better despite looking worse

IIRC the SD version also had a versus mode that let you play as numerous other characters from the series, which is why I got the PSP game as my very first in-store pre-order. When I picked it up the cashier didn't think a PSP version even existed, which was awkward.