• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that box art is so plain. Blecch

What's different about it? Is it better/worse?
It was a long time ago but the PSP version was basically a heavily compressed version of the PS360 version with some redone levels and I think some parts where only cutscenes from the "big" version. It felt like different game but it was still pretty cool for an handheld game back then.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
drop-114028-68213929b4d465d8ece7c52a8c16557a16e4d_1.jpg
51xNTGy3WAL._SX466_.jpg

=/=

Lament of Innocence also just "Castlevania" in PAL land.

558011-castlevania-lament-of-innocence-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters on the Genesis and SNES played vastly different from each other.

Aprils stage theme still pops in my head from time to time.

"C'mon baby."

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this qualifies, but Atari 2600 versions of arcade games were so so bad. Pac-man is my example

A26_01.gif

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This.

It'a funny because I only played the N64 version until Steam and bought the PC version. I felt like "this isn't the same game" until I found out N64 had new levels.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If I remember correctly "Donald Duck: Going Quackers" had a GBC, GBA, N64, PlayStation, and (I think?) GCN/XB/PS2 version, and ALL of them had considerable differences in levels, bosses, characters, and costumes.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider for PC and GBC. Apart from obvious differences in visuals and gameplay (which don't count), level locales and story is completely different, yet share the same game name.

Mega Man 1 and 3 for PC (there's no 2). No similarities to NES-titles whatsoever apart from gameplay style (or what is left of it anyway) and different developer.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly "Donald Duck: Going Quackers" had a GBC, GBA, N64, PlayStation, and (I think?) GCN/XB/PS2 version, and ALL of them had considerable differences in levels, bosses, characters, and costumes.
It was on Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2 and GameCube and had a lot of differences between the versions.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It was on Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2 and GameCube and had a lot of differences between the versions.

I remember loving the game when I was younger but still being baffled as to why it, of all things, was still getting new versions on new systems year after year. I think that's more ports than Skyrim has (PC, 360, PS3, XB, PS4, Switch, Audio).

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this qualifies, but Atari 2600 versions of arcade games were so so bad. Pac-man is my example

A26_01.gif

Hey guy who is 40+, I also am old.

Double Dragon on NES was my first console game (outside of Mario/Duck Hunt). I was absolutely gutted we couldn't play 2 player co-op after spending tons of money on that game at various birthday parties with my friends as a kid.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The Mega Drive and SNES versions of Alien 3 were completely different games. I preferred the MD version at the time but I think the SNES version was considered superior by many, it having a more open-ended structure and better graphics too. Some would say a better soundtrack too since it mimics the Aliens movie soundtrack with a lot of its themes and musical arrangements but the MD version had a great selection of catchy tunes.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Daikatana: one of the worst disasters in video game history

Daikatana GBC: a solid little 2D action RPG??

VQFXVmQ.png

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Daikatana: one of the worst disasters in video game history

Daikatana GBC: a solid little 2D action RPG??

VQFXVmQ.png

Not enough Game Boy games followed the template of Link's Awakening. Another one that did was that James Bond 007 game.

Similarly, original DS games like Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword and that Dragon Ball game smartly followed Phantom Hourglass's template.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They also did Ghostbusters for Wii, which was again the superior version of the game in every respect other than how it looked.

Not at all. It was worse in pretty much every way. To quote myself.

The Wii version was worse in every way with only one positive not on other systems, the local co-op. But then it lacked the MP of the HD versions.

There were numerous cuts to the Wii version, with levels drastically cut in size and scope, and made into much more simplistic layouts. Some levels are missing, or have entire areas missing. As a result some scenes are missing or made shorter. Also to pad out these smaller, shorter areas it tried to add puzzles, but really it was just backtracking for fetch quests. Certain ghosts were censored and made less horrific (in addition to the cartoony art style change). Certain creepy/spooky stuff was removed. Some bosses were removed, others changed to stuff that was not lore friendly and also just worse designed battles. Some weapons were removed too.

The general gameplay of ghost catching was pretty much the same, just with some button presses swapped for motion controls. Plus less weapon variety.

There is no objective way to say the Wii version was superior.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guy who is 40+, I also am old.

Double Dragon on NES was my first console game (outside of Mario/Duck Hunt). I was absolutely gutted we couldn't play 2 player co-op after spending tons of money on that game at various birthday parties with my friends as a kid.

Turning 40 this year :)

It's interesting to see how many people falsely remember that Double Dragon on NES was a 2 player simultaneous co-op game. It twas not.

Oct 25, 2017
Did any of you, out of nostalgia, tried to launch Spider-Man 2 on PC expecting to play your favourite Spidey game until you realize something is clearly wrong ?

spm2gc008.jpg
sma2pc003.jpg

Hey that's not the same game ! Indeed, Treyarch was in charge of the console version while The Fizz Factor made the PC one. They have the same name and the same cover though !

spm2xb0f.jpg
75673-spider-man-2-the-game-windows-front-cover.jpg

Is there other instances of this (which are obviously not mobile/handheld ports) ?

I bought some Spider-Man 2 collectors thing on DVD just so I can play the Spider-Man 2 demo on PC, let's just say I was not happy when I installed the thing and it was nothing like the console version, the disappointment still haunts me.