• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Searched and didn't see this posted yet so decided I would. Title says embarrass but it's mostly about games he think did things well in this case.

Shall we talk about good games doing good things? Between Borderlands 3 and Code Vein, we have examples of cosmetic rewards and customization done right in the "AAA" space.

With the catalog of Focus Home Interactive games, we have mid-tier games providing complete experiences that the market's been starved of.

These are the titles totally humiliating the "AAA" industry.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I really like Jim and the controversial points he makes but I can't watch many of his videos at once, his negativity kinda gets to me at times and right now I am not in the best mood so I'll save it for later, thanks OP

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it. And yeah, not much to add to that. I hope we'll see more and more AA games popping up in the future.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I expected to finally be a video about how smash bros ultimate have some f2p like mechanics that involves zero monetary transactions

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Jim and the controversial points he makes but I can't watch many of his videos at once, his negativity kinda gets to me at times and right now I am not in the best mood so I'll save it for later, thanks OP
Haven't seen it yet (at work) but this seems like this is a positive video? But I see totally see what you mean, it can be a bit much sometimes.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with with basically everything he said here. I don't even know what else there is to say.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I can only wish that some employee from one of these AAA companies that Jim just shit on just got triggered and hit dislike on the video. Thanks for throwing it in their face Jim. These companies deserve more shame than they get.
I love getting stuff in-game just by....wow, playing the game! What a concept. Using Jim's example, I am just so grateful to play Borderlands and be able to do something so simple as changing my skin or get a legendary gun without a fucking prompt to buy it with ......."currency".

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If anyone is curious, this is a positive video, mostly about Borderlands 3 and Code Vein

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I have to assume Untitled Duck Game is talked about before I click on the video. That game is hot.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Threadwhining
All this whining got old long ago for me, sad that he never really changes his shtick.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I have to assume Untitled Duck Game is talked about before I click on the video. That game is hot.
It's not mentioned indie stuff wasn't really the focus here. Was mainly talking about Borderlands 3, Code Vein, and then stuff like vampyr, greedfall, surge 2, plague tale.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's not mentioned indie stuff wasn't really the focus here. Was mainly talking about Borderlands 3, Code Vein, and then stuff like vampyr, greedfall, surge 2, plague tale.
My games. Focus deserves all the success and more.

And yet people are like "Eww, janky low budget games, not worth my time." It's honestly pretty sad.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Focus Home for what they did to Frogwares.

They don't deserve any recognition considering their shitty tactics when a developer decides to go solo.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I can only wish that some employee from one of these AAA companies that Jim just shit on just got triggered and hit dislike on the video. Thanks for throwing it in their face Jim. These companies deserve more shame than they get.
I love getting stuff in-game just by....wow, playing the game! What a concept. Using Jim's example, I am just so grateful to play Borderlands and be able to do something so simple as changing my skin or get a legendary gun without a fucking prompt to buy it with ......."currency".
Employees have no say in this for the most part so if they feel defensive about their games i can't blame them

Maybe if it's an employee who have bought into the things Jim is railing against , even then, if they are low man on the pole what can they realistically do.

I always blame the execs first

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I am actually quite impressed with what Code Vein has to offer as a "AA" game. It's most certainly not perfect, far from it. But it has kept me going for 60 hours already right now.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Another great video by Jim.
EA, Activision and Ubisoft are a goddamn embarrassment to games industry, offering less content than F2P games with every aspects of the game monetized.

They don't deserve any recognition considering their shitty tactics when a developer decides to go solo.
Video ends on note about this situation.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I stopped watching his stuff altogether for a year and more because I found his negativity draining. It's only recently that I've started to dip my toes back into that water...

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

I'm reserving judgement until we get a better behind the scenes look on what's going on between Focus and BigBen. That seems to be major turf war between 2 French mid-tier publishers, and Focus is on the receiving side, despite the games they publish generally being better than BigBen's.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I didn't pick it up but I'm glad Borderlands 3 stuck to the way the previous games handled everything. It could've easily been turned into an Ubisoft style cash grab.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
He has a right to an opinion, or can you only post in Jim Sterling thread if you agree with his crusade against the "AAA Industry"?
You can agree or disagree, but most negative posts directly insult him instead of making an argument. The last thread about Breakpoint also had embarrassing posts like this.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I've agreed with Jim on this since Overwatch basically. The constant disappointment that game delivered in its lootboxes with a plethora of blue and white (or was it colourless I can't remember) tier items was by far my main disappointment with the game and lead me to drop it well before the end of 2016. I got like 2 legendary skins in like 60 hours of play and one of those was through currency with the other being for a character I never used.

Absolutely terrible 'reward' system. You're basically unwelcome and better set up for consistent disappointment unless you actually buy the lootboxes in bulk (which is the entire point of it all of course) or unless you play for a *very* long time or just get extremely lucky.

I hate it.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still surprised he lives in Jackson, Mississippi.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm not really familiar with him and havent watched this yet...but isnt this just ripped from a recent ERA thread?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
He has a right to an opinion, or can you only post in Jim Sterling thread if you agree with his crusade against the "AAA Industry"?
Whining about Jim's negativity in a thread about a video of positive inspirations on the industry isn't an opinion; it's a shitpost from someone who's more concerned with his hot take than actually discussing anything.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

Jim didn't shy away from this. He talked about them needing to do better because they wouldn't be anything without the developers that worked with them.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Honestly I'm happily willing to sacrifice cosmetics to microtransactions if it means we get more updates for a game. Don't agree that cosmetics are really part of gameplay.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I like Jim despite his negativity, but positive Jim is a like without the qualifier. I want Jim to do more of this, promote the shit he likes.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
That dude managed to turn a simple point into a long video and be pretty annoying while he does it. I haven't watched him much but I don't think I will in the future.

The point is "These new games don't make you pay for their cosmetics". That's pretty much it.

I do agree with his point and I really hate the lazy recolor type skins you find in many games that sell them as DLC or in lootboxes. Those should just be a "pick your own colors" type feature that allows people to color their character according to whatever taste or lack of (based on how horrible a lot of user generated things become in the hands of people who have no eye for aesthetics) they have.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If you think about it, it's actually quite the surprise that Borderlands 3 didn't fall victim to this bullshit. I could see it happening from miles away, but here we are, it's not like it at all.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I agree with him. It used to be enjoyable to unlock this stuff in games just for playing. I rarely play triple AAA games nowadays though anyway.

He is trying to be more positive i think which is good, if he could also not repeat the same points over and over again in the same video that would be even better.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jim is on fire at the moment.
I absolutely agree with him and I did feel the same way for a long time now.

Some recent "AAA" games ended up being nothing more than exploitative pieces of crap experiences. It's already reaching absurd and comedic levels.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I'll always support Jim because he's like the only big personality advocating that cosmetics do effect gameplay. As he says in the video, they might not directly change stats or whatever, but it effects my enjoyment of the game as whole, it makes me feel good about playing it.

I am constantly tinkering with my Code Vein and Borderlands characters' looks and I'm so thankful that I don't have to constantly look at a storefront where every item is $5-20 for a hat or a color palette. Cosmetics and customizing my characters is one of my favorite things and it sucks that so often they're locked behind overpriced paywalls.