• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
One of the more powerful effects of gaming for younger generations are the intense associative memories of gaming with their childhood. Being a child of the late 90's and early 00's, I've been gaming as long as my memory can recall and many of the most powerful memories of that time are spent gaming. Just hearing the soundtrack of many games in passing evokes intense emotions of nostalgia that are often powerful enough for me to just stop whatever I'm doing and think back to those times.

The soundtracks for games I spent the most time playing like World of Warcraft, Morrowind, or Fable, in this way, have become a nostalgic minefield for me to navigate. The intensity of the emotions often becomes too much for me to handle and I can't listen to them for long.

These moments of acute nostalgia sometimes keep me up at night thinking about all the time I spent in those worlds. Sometimes it's accompanied by regret, but not for the quantity of time spent but the passing nature of that time which has long since left. And. on top of that, the fact that I can replay these games to this day yet cannot recapture the fulfillment of those massive imprints left by the time spent playing them.

Which games evoke this kind of nostalgia for you?

Last edited:

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors was a huge game from my childhood my best friend and I were obsessed with at the time for quite a few years. Pokemon RBY & GSC also bring back a lot of nostalgia for me as Pokemon was the first game series I got really into as a kid.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Pokemon Red. Really the entire first three gens of Pokemon, in their own way, though Red probably the most. Gen 1 reminds me of one of my first in-depth experiences with a video game and the complete and utter cultural phenomenon that was Pokemon from 98-2000. Gen 2 reminds me of the absurd amount of time I pumped into those games in the Summer of 2001 (100+ hours,which was a lot for me as a kid with limited gaming time). Gen 3 reminds me more of the exact personal experience I had with that gen, as that was the one where I really communicated with a couple of friends to trade, battle, and exchange team building strategies. All three games just remind me of youth.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the first two halos have a special place in my heart. so many good memories playing with friends.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Even though I had been playing games much earlier than that, HL2 has this kind of impact on me. The music that comes up when Valve logo pops up on the screen....still use my PS3 to play orange box every now n then to take a stroll in the streets of Ravenholm.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.
And when I get to Stickerbrush Symphony, shit gets real nostalgic

Either that or Windwaker and when I get to Dragon Roost Isle or out on the Great Sea

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
GTA Vice City, that soundtrack....Man that could be the GotY soundtrack, spending days on end replaying that game when I was, what 14 years old, those days were great

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
40405-WWF_No_Mercy_(USA)_(Rev_A)-1.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest as a series does this for me. One of the first games I ever played was the original 'Dragon Warrior' on NES which came with a Nintendo power subscription. The series has a certain charm to it that always gets me nostalgic. The music and graphical style are very consistent throughout the series and I think that adds to the feeling of familiarity.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Pokemon Colosseum was the first video game I'd ever played, since I'd started playing kind of late into my childhood. I still listen to the soundtrack once in a while.

Blew my mind when I learned that I could catch wild Pokemon in FireRed.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
My dad rented a lot of games for me as a kid, so I would spend a lot of time with different games from time to time. I'd ask to rent certain games again like Grandia and Final Fantasy IX so I could finish them. Pretty much anything from the 5th and 6th generation of consoles gets that kind of reaction outta me.

latest
HTTP2Nkbi5hdG9taXgudmcvd3AtY29udGVudC91cGxvYWRzLzIwMTQvMTIvYWlyLWNvbWJhdC5naWYlog.gif

grandia10.gif
tumblr_o7ui32ULAS1upnpoeo1_400.gif

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Zelda on the NES was where gaming really sunk its teeth into me as a kid. Any time I hear the main theme I am hit with waves of nostalgia.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi's Island and Ocarina of Time, I think it's because both games are about growth, with Link as a child, leaving the forest, discovering he's Hylian, not forever a child like the Kokiri, and Yoshi's Island because it's about the birth of a hero and looks like a bed time story come to life.

Jan 2, 2018
Anno_1602_Logo.png

My first real gaming experience and to this day the best game in it's franchise. I will never forget the voice of the narrator and the perfectly selected music.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Never owned one, but the Dreamcast invokes the feeling more than any games that are very close to my heart.

Can't explain why. I've only borrowed from a friend once and had very little time with it.

But there is just something about the menu sounds, the cd he had with a snes emulator and a bunch of games, and I dunno what it is, fucking weird.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Final Fantasy VII. I can still hear it echoing on my old tube television in my old living room, I can still hear the Play Station boot-up sound too. I have fond memories of the Play Station and it was my primary system for many years and nothing was able to replicate that feeling again.

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hearing the Ristar soundtrack always gives me that warm nostalgic feeling. This song in particular:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Quite a few, really:

Smb2_comparison.png

Super Mario Bros 2: back when it came out, it blew me away how different it was from the original Super Mario Bros, and I remember me and my friends hanging out for hours trying to master it.

NES_01.gif

Super Mario Bros 3: another game changer for me. The scope of the world, the gameplay additions, and the return to a more familiar mushroom kingdom setting, great graphics and memorable Koopalings. There's a reason it's on my list of favorite games of all time. So good.

castlevania3-spot1.gif

Castlevania 1-3. I remember vividly how I felt and where I was the first I saw and played each one. Just watching a Let's Play of any of them fills me with wistful nostalgia and great memories.

mario_world_review_02.gif

Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV: both are tied to memories that have become bitter sweet for me. I remember going over my cousins house and him firing up his Super Nintendo and popping in these beauties. I was poor, and couldn't afford an SNES, so trips to his house were always extra fun. Didn't hurt that he was well off and had all of the toys and gaming systems I only dreamed of having. We'd stay up all night having a blast. Sadly, he died in a car accident when we were in our early twenties. I still miss him over a decade later, and playing both Super Mario World and Super CV feels me with both joy and melancholy.

deumob8eo6ljsjsyftac.jpg

Chrono Trigger: I played both it and Final Fantasy III/VI the same year, on a classmates borrowed SNES, but it was Chrono Trigger that got me hooked on the genre. I still play it once a year, and each time I fall in love with all over again, or pick up on some little detail I missed or overlooked since the last playthrough. It tops my chart of favorite games of all time, along with the next game on my list:

51897-Castlevania_-_Symphony_of_the_Night_E-7.jpg

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. What a departure from Super CV IV, and is probably my favorite game of all time, tied with Chrono Trigger. I still remember the first time I fired up this game, playing it on my brother in law's PlayStation, clutching the strategy guide I bought for it and just being blown away by what I was playing.

52372-Metal_Gear_Solid_(E)_(Disc_1)-9.jpg

Metal Gear Solid: I was 18 when this game came out, and I had never played anything like it. I thought the story was excellent and mature, the cinematic presentation unlike any other game before it, the cast of characters memorable and iconic, the boss battles mind-blowing, the graphics incredible, just everything about MGS1 floored me. I had no idea how high the series would get from there, or how it'd hold such a special place in my heart, but playing the Shadow Moses stage in MGSIV brought unexpected tears to my eyes because of the flood of nostalgia I felt revisiting that area literally 10 years later. I was 18 for MGS1, 28 for MGS4, and it was a fantastically emotional moment for me. I can still play OG PS1 MGS1 and get swept up in those fond memories of playing it in front of my mom and her remarking that it's "just like a movie!" Lol.

I'll say that not as much from the PS3 to PS4 era hits me with as much nostalgia. Perhaps the Uncharted series, especially Uncharted 4, which was such a beautiful close to the Nathan Drake saga. Lost Legacy was excellent, and I'd love to see Chloe and Nadine carry the series forward.

Some PS2 games like Shadow of the Colossus (playing the remake on the PS4 has been a delight and very nostalgic), MGS2 and 3, God of War, The Mark of Kri, GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, etc all give me a bit of nostalgia too, but nothing as potent as the games I highlighted above.

It's been one of the many joys of my life to see this industry go from Pitfall on the Atari, to where it is now. To have experienced the evolution of the industry through many decades, and to now be a part of the gaming industry myself, hopefully having a little hand in shaping a few nostalgic memories for another generation of gamers.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7. It's not my favorite FF, but it seems to be the one that really hits me when i replay it, see footage for it, or listen to the OST.

I guess its signified what was going on for me in college at the time, the signal of the PSOne and what that meant to me as a long time gamer. I dunno. But it gets me

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Latest Kirby trailer feels like all greatest hits from 90s combine

And I never played Kirby before

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything from the first four generations of Pokemon. I could only get new games on birthdays and Christmas so all my attention went towards the games and the anime series.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DOOM.

Beating the spider mastermind with the help of my dad will forever be one of my favorite memories in this life.

BornRZA

Oct 25, 2017
Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast evokes it the strongest for me. There's just something about that game and console in general that brings back a flood of memories from my early teens. Some of the best times of my life so far...
Close 2nd would be Halo: Combat Evolved

gnilres

Oct 28, 2017

Pokemon Red. Really the entire first three gens of Pokemon, in their own way, though Red probably the most. Gen 1 reminds me of one of my first in-depth experiences with a video game and the complete and utter cultural phenomenon that was Pokemon from 98-2000. Gen 2 reminds me of the absurd amount of time I pumped into those games in the Summer of 2001 (100+ hours,which was a lot for me as a kid with limited gaming time). Gen 3 reminds me more of the exact personal experience I had with that gen, as that was the one where I really communicated with a couple of friends to trade, battle, and exchange team building strategies. All three games just remind me of youth.

This also eerily accurately describes my life

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
The Sims 1 and Sim City 3000. Spent AGES playing both games and even now the soundtracks bring me back to those childhood memories, which is helpful (and precious) because I can't seem to remember very much of my childhood at all.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bully is probably the biggest. Though pretty much all of Rockstars' PS2 stuff are massive nostalgia bumps for me.
As does Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 64, Crash 1, 2, 3, MGS 1, 2, 3, a bunch of Pokemon games, Crash Team Racing and Mario Kart 64.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
It has to be Outrun.

When I was young, I used to get depressed because of the dreary weather in the UK. The soul of Outrun, from its blue skies, to its Ferrari Testerossa and OST always cheered me up.

LucasMonclar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Super Mario World, Einhänder, Pokémon Gold/Silver in my childhood.

Further, in my adolescence, definitely Fifa Street and DBZ: Budokai 3. I used to spend entire weekends playing them.

Those were the times...

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Captain Tsubasa 2: Super Strikers (Tecmo, NES, 1990), which is my favorite game of all time. I have been playing it on NES clones or emulators for the last 28 years. I knew it being a seven-year-old kid and it remains the single most important videogame in my life.

That said, I am also particularly nostalgic for several Mega Drive and mid-to-late nineties PC games.

Oct 26, 2017
A huge one for me is the file select screen from Shining Force 3 and it's music, Ishahacut's Room.

155687-shining-force-iii-sega-saturn-screenshot-the-typical-shining.jpg

Chrono trigger, from the moment those seagulls cry out during the panning shot at the beginning, I'm in my happy place. If I want to get straight up emotional, I'll listen to To Faraway Times.

Other game ost's include Super Castlevania and the SNES Versions of Sim City and Lemmings.

Calaius

Oct 29, 2017
There are probably others and it's not to the point where I can't listen for too long, but yeah, the vanilla WoW soundtrack, I'm with you OP, it's right up there. Nostalgia hits me in the chest and in the feels everytime.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hearing certain soundtracks from Mega Man Battle Network, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Pokemon Gold/Silver really evokes some strong nostalgia from me. Some almost make me tear up a bit.

For example:

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda Twilight Princess i nearly cry if i see that main menu intro or hear the field theme or midnas lament + the games ending (final goodbye with midna). Also thost moments where wolf link howls old themes especially song of healin and zeldas lullaby.

48d.gif

"Link.... i love you" is my headcanon.

Oh and the lost woods + temple of time theme.

So alot in that game

Reason is i played this game through as a kid multiple times with friends so that was certainly special it also is the only zelda game my sister liked. I myself also enjoyed it immensely.

So all of these reasons is why i have Zelda TP tattoo's you can see em in my era profile bio. I replay the game once every 6 or so months.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The PS1 in particular is hugely nostalgic for me. That system had such an identity it's not even funny. Super 90's, in the best way!

And this wasn't even the console I played the most or grew up with in particular! I was 12 or so when we ended up getting the PS1 a few years after launch. It was our (me and my older brothers) first non-Nintendo system aside from a Game Gear we dabbled with briefly!! Maybe it being something so unique for us helps that feeling of standing out from the rest.

But yeah, PS1 games just had such an identity. Tomb Raider, Tobal, Suikoden, Vandal Hearts, RE1, Powerslave, etc.

The PS1 just felt so "early 3D"/experimental to me, I love it.

It somehow fills me with more nostalgia than even the NES, SNES, or N64.