• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
To the Moon... I remember reading the ending will getcha worked up. Thought I was manly enough to get through it unscathed. I was not.

Leithkorias

Oct 27, 2017
It' probably easier to list the games that haven't made me cry. I mean, to start I'm a big soft hearted person, I'm maybe too empathetic, but also media like games and music and books have always easily been able to make me cry.

I don't know why. It' not always even sad parts but happy parts, powerful parts, emotional parts.

Anyway two recent ones that got me pretty good are the last guardian and ff15. The ff15 end credits...man, but that wasnt the first time 15 got me.

Come to think of it uncharted 4 got me real good too.

One more, valkyria chronicles. The funeral scene. I watched it 5 or 6 times and it would get me every time but that first watch going in blind...man...that was rough.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017

The saddest video game cutscene of all time in my opinion. The only time I've ever shed a tear during a video game game

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Nier: Automata, an example, Pascal:
tumblr_onpbh2zxUl1ssytzao2_540.gif

When Pascal asks you to either kill him or erase his memories due to his extreme grief seeing all the children having killed themselves out of fear during the machine attack, blaming himself for teaching them about fear thinking it would help them survive in the future.
maxresdefault.jpg

And no matter what option you pick, it's still awfully tragic. I chose to erase his memory, thinking at least someone would come out of this alive and continue. But seeing him later picking through the scraps of his former family with no knowledge of what he's doing, selling them to you for some bits, broke my heart...

Nier offers no salvation where there is none to be had.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Save your eyes the trouble, don't smoke a joint and play Journey, you'll be so sad when it's over

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Persona 3 Portable, the ending. Best game I never want to play again. The last few in-game days were an emotional torture and the last scene, when...

...the game is actually cruel enough to make you close your eyes for the last and final time through a dialogue choice...

I barely kept it together during that sequence and the dam just burst when the credits kicked in.

Persona 4: the Golden counts, too. Played through it again last March in preparation for P5. In hindsight, I wasn't doing well during that time. Persona 4 was a good form of escapism, but when I got to January/February and I knew the point of saying goodbye to Inaba and its inhabitants was getting closer, combined with the melancholic music... That hit me hard.

Guess it's only fitting that, in the end, the game still forced me to face myself.

Unlikely mention, but I'm dead serious: Senran Kagura Estival Versus made me cry, too. The story is pretty light overall, but the theme of death (especially of family members) and accepting it plays a big role. At one point Miyabi meets her deceased mother again and they spend their short reunion by making Miyabi's favorite dish (which she never knew how to make). It made me cry, because my father passed away when I was thirteen and while I'm generally at peace with his death, it saddens me the most that I never got to do basic father-son stuff with him. Like I can teach myself how to fix something around the house, but that's not the point; I wanted to learn it from him.

Deleted member 11025

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No game's ever made me really cry but Journey, To the Moon, Lost Odyssey's Thousand Years of Dreams, Persona 3 and Life is Strange all got me a little misty-eyed.

C3ntenario

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us
Ellie : Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everyone fucking except for you ..So don't tell me that I would be safer with someone else, because the truth is, I would just be more scared

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Night in the Woods.

Totally resonated with me as someone in a similar situation and suffering from similar issues.

"I get it. This won't stop until I die. But when I die, I want it to hurt. When my friends leave, when I have to let go, when this entire town is wiped off the map, I want it to hurt. Bad. I want to lose. I want to get beaten up. I want to hold on until I'm thrown off and everything ends. And you know what? Until that happens, I want to hope again. And I want it to hurt. Because that means it meant something. I means I am something, at least...pretty amazing to be something, at least..."

KnightSword

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy X. Best story in video game history, at least for me. I shiver just thinking about the ending.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I think all of the To the Moon mentions are great! I'll throw in the House in Fata Morgana, a crushing story about love, destiny, and death, and Rakuen, a game by composer Laura Shigihara of To the Moon and Plants vs. Zombies fame that is about a boy who is very ill in the hospital, his mother, hope, and loss.

Dec 3, 2017
Several Metal Gear games have brought me to tears over the years. Most notably, Snake learning of EVA's betrayal during the final moments of MGS3 hit me particularly hard. In MGS2, Raiden and Rose's trials and tribulations were very well-documented, but ultimately, during the game's final sequence, the two vow to move forward, together, seeing one another for who they truly are. Not to mention, MGS1 ended with Snake and Meryl riding off into the sunset. MGS3 ended on a series of knockout punches that I simply wasn't ready for, especially taking the relatively "happy" endings of prior Metal Gear titles into account. Final Fantasy XV and season one of The Walking Dead are a couple of other easy picks, as well.

Final Fantasy XV - First, I got emotional right at the introduction because I had waited more than ten years to finally put my hands on this game, and it meant a lot personally to finally be able to do so. The story itself made me cry right at the end. It was an incredibly emotional ending, it truly felt like the end of a long journey. Tabata excels at moving finishers.

I couldn't agree more.

KmA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing the Last Guardian right now these responses aren't making me hopeful lmao.

But most recently Life is Strange. Especially episode 4... that entire intro sequence wrecked me

HylianTom

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I cry at the end of The Wind Waker, every time. Daphnes drowning with his kingdom, his hand just inches away from Link's, his wish for the future.. it's too much.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I tend to be a bit of tear leaker during movies/tv shows, only in private though as to maintain my manly dignity. (such as it is)

Brothers: Basically the final 15 minutes.
Gone Home: The ending and reaching the attic.
To the Moon: If you've played this, you know when.
Dreamfall Chapters: The reunion
The Walking Dead Season 1: The entire last chapter
The Binding of Issac-Afterbirth Plus: I was close to tears of joy after the victory lap started after beating the final Boss.
What Remains of Edith Finch: Finding out what remains of her at the end

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I am probably alone here but the last time I cried (i was probably a bit drunk..) was with the ending of Final Fantasy Type-0

It was probably more the song
(it's the FF NES song that plays when you pass the bridge but with lyrics about friendship and standing by each other)
than the actual story development.

Valcon

Oct 28, 2017
Chile
To the moon, obviously.
Now I want to see if Finding Paradise (from the same creator of To the moon) achieve the same.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Life is Strange is the only game I can think of that hit me in the feels. So many emotions in that game.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think a single game has made me cry. More often than not the lack of proper pacing and the hamfisted story telling just makes me laugh when the characters are trying to emote something.

Nov 1, 2017
These made me feel feelings.

Brothers - I actually played it with my brother, we shared a controller to play it.
Lost Odyssey - an immortal man seeks a beautiful end. all of the 'thousand years of dreams' are astoundingly well-written.
To the moon -
OP's descriptor is great. worth it.
Red dead redemption 2 - more emotional if you play it straight and try to be the good guy.
Persona 3 - sad.
Persona 4 - Tears of joy.
Last Guardian -
Sad.
Everybody's gone to the rapture - Beautiful, bittersweet.
Papo y Yo -
Tragic
MGS3 - pressing fire

there are others.

KinseyUwU

Nov 29, 2017
United Kingdom
:[ I cried at the end of Okami just because of how beautiful it all was.
Which is super lame, I know, but wow. I was only like, twelve at the time? and it was kind of a cultural eye-opener for me.

I also cried at FF7, I KNOW, but I was only 5 or so at the time and my dad would play through it with me and my sister and narrate it. And as it turned out, we both really liked the
flower girl
character. I think actually, that was my first encounter with death? At least in fiction, so it hit pretty hard.
Also the music is just one of those tracks that makes you weep, y'know?

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
Persona 3

lot of scene that could made me cry including some of social link
..and that ending scene though..

FF VII Crisis Core ending also got me

Hamoody

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't play the Last Guardian yet, but I cried at the E3 trailer

Life is Strange
The Walking Dead (Season 1 and 2)
Metal Gear Solid 4

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Life is Strange. No other game has affected me as much this game has. One of my favorites of all time.

Oct 25, 2017
Several, but from the top of my head...

*Chrono Trigger
*Chrono Cross
*Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4
*Ico
*Shadow of the Colossus
*The Last Guardian
*Persona 4
*A lot of Final Fantasy games. Most recently XV.
*Illusion of Gaia

astroglide

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Xenogears- that entire game was a trip. It really got me.
Final fantasy tactics- game was great but it's also the last game my mom bought for me and she's dead now.

Gears 3 when dom dies

Final fantasy 7 aieruth dies

Walking dead lee dies
Walking dead season 2 or 3 when Kenny dies.

Halo 4 when chief says goodbye to cortana

Uncharted 4 when it's all over and we are pretty much done with Nathan. Such a gun ride.

The beginning of the last of us. As a father I can't begin to image if that happened to me.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two instances I can recall where I very nearly cried.

1. The epilogue to Final Fantasy Tactics shows the fate of Delita and is accompanied by this beautiful music.
  2. The boss of World 3 in Undertale on my first blind run. I'm all pumped up for an epic duel. I deal the finishing blow... and she holds on and fires a last-ditch effort of feeble stabs while expressing panicked concern for her friends. I promised myself I would not kill anyone else.
    That promise was broken.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Mass Effect 3. So many characters I grew attached to died. Balled my eyes out every time.