• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
Gran Turismo 4 (2004)

bP1r0Q.jpg

XZbS2C.jpg

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember some years ago people still talked about how great Alyx Vance from Half-Life looked, and I agree. She still looks great and will continue to look great.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racing games at high resolution look pretty good to me.

I was blown away playing Hot Pursuit 2010 and Dirt 3 at 4K.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Games with good art direction (halo, mgs, half life 2 etc) age like fine wine.

Polycounts and rendering effects will always keep advancing overtime. The only anomaly was crysis which was had blah art ditection but graphics tech that was 3 gens ahead of the game. Now that console games final caught up and exceeded this gen, it is completely forgotten in the list of best looking games of all time.
I disagree. Crysis still looks good.

This "meh art direction" critic was always bollocks, imo. Designing a whole island with open levels, making it look realistic and fun to play is no easy task.

To this day, Crysis / Warhead still has one of the best jungle settings ever in a shooter.

If you can remember any game that has better jungle environments in a FPS, I would seriously wanna know

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Also in to say Half-Life 2. The environments still look great, but it's the faces that get me. 2004 had a lot of graphical heavy hitters, but HL2 is the only one that holds up in that department. There were plenty of big name games releasing over the next 10 years that didn't put as much effort into making natural expressions as HL2 did.

Absolutely agree! I can't count the number of seventh-gen games that looked worse with faces than HL2, and there are still current gen games that don't do as well.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My vote goes to silent hill 2 and 3, especially 3. They still look really good

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Occasional awkward animations aside, Heavy Rain so thoroughly crushed its aesthetic goals that it still looks fantastic a decade later.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
MGS2

Reminder that this game came out in 2001

KMiOanC.jpg

0i42ncc.jpg

vZwk7X7.jpg

1RzjdPz.jpg

Why are your screenshots showing the game running with no bilinear or similar texture filtering ? Thats definitely not how the game looks on native hardware (PS2), on the PC and on the remasters...

I would understand in any other topic but on THIS one in particular where you want to show how the art and graphics stand the test of time, you need to show the actual rendered output man.

Answering the topic:

• Halo 1 (OG Xbox with a CRT and/or Xbox One X 4K HDR on an Oled). Halo 2 looks terrible in comparison.
  • MGS 2
  • Fallout 1, 2
  • Diablo 2 (with a CRT shader on top)
  • Half Life 1
  • Battlezone
  • Soul Calibur II
  • Mario Kart 8 (or is it cartoonish?)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Why are your screenshots showing the game running with no bilinear or similar texture filtering ?
Because MGS2 has great texture work. Most of the textures in the game were hand painted with a consistent color palette and contrast which goes a long way in making sure it stands the test of time. The first Dishonored is in a similar camp. Why are you so buttmad lol.

I would understand in any other topic but on THIS one in particular where you want to show how the art and graphics stand the test of time, you need to show the actual rendered output man.
This makes no sense and has no bearing on this thread, plenty of emulated games from the sixth-gen still look like shit when upscaled to 4K.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
fear_1.jpg

The original FEAR still looks pretty solid, lots of excellent lighting and particle effects.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Because MGS2 has great texture work. Most of the textures in the game were hand painted with a consistent color palette and contrast which goes a long way in making sure it stands the test of time. The first Dishonored is in a similar camp. Why are you so buttmad lol.

This makes no sense, plenty of emulated games from the sixth-gen still look like shit when upscaled to 4K.

I understand your intention of showing the texture work, but the end result is just a low res pixelated mess, and that's NOT how the game looked in 2002, and if you play it right now in any system, all oficial version will keep filtering those textures (as intended).

I thought the thread was about actual graphics, not modified ones (removing the texture filtering is modifying the output, just like adding extra texture detail to another game via mods).

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I was playing some more destiny 2 today (as you do) and in the middle of a vex offensive in the new expansion realized that this game on PC looks fucking incredible still. And i dont think time is going to make it look any worse. I think games have gotten to a point that they will always look good. This isnt like gta 3 days or anything. Shit just looks good.

What other games do you think visually will stand the test of time?

I mean 3d games of course. sorry.

Destiny 2 isn't old or dated game.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
Would Portal 2 be considered cartoony?

I'd say the simple clean art-style will still look great in like forever.

I'd say Mirror's Edge will similarly also stand the test of time.
Definitely would call Portal 2 cartoony. It and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive are both great examples of Valve's incredible talent for making the creaking Source engine look good, even if you wouldn't call it photorealistic. CSGO is even more amazing considering they are multiplayer maps with great balance, clear readability, and the new updated maps are still made within the original system requirements from 2012(!). These maps fundamentally use the exact same technologies that Half Life 2 used, often with very low res textures by modern industry standards, so the quality of the art assets have to do all the work.

Portal 2:
screenshot-9.jpg

CSGO:
BSiteOverview-new.jpg

the-a-site-gets-an-open-air-feel.jpeg

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I was playing some more destiny 2 today (as you do) and in the middle of a vex offensive in the new expansion realized that this game on PC looks fucking incredible still. And i dont think time is going to make it look any worse. I think games have gotten to a point that they will always look good. This isnt like gta 3 days or anything. Shit just looks good.

Funny, I replayed D2 when it went f2p (after dropping it for like one year or so) and it looked incredibly outdated on all ends, especially textures

I guess good pixel art games can easily withstand time. Its not so much a good art direction that's almost always at fault when looking at older games, its the textures / character models

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Homeworld and Homeworld 2's aesthetics have stood the test of time.

Art direction has a huge part to play in making it do so.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Dishonored. It's not like it's realistic in its art direction, but the painterly aesthetic of textures and strangely boxy proportions of both people and objects in the world lend the series a distinctly ethereal look that hasn't aged yet. Dishonored 2 is still a visual knockout (it only came out a few years ago), but even the first game still holds up really well.

God you reminded me of how much I hated that game's aesthetic; just a smeared, murky, miserable look over everything that made me want to wash my hands after I played. I suppose it fits thematically, but it was really unpleasant considering that, mechanically, the game is all about observation and exploration and mastering stealth systems that require utilizing the environment. It sucks that I spend so much time in world that looks like it was soaked, left to dry, and then soaked again.

Still a good game, but man fuck that look.

Anyway, my answer is probably MGS2, that game still looks great.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
God you reminded me of how much I hated that game's aesthetic; just a smeared, murky, miserable look over everything that made me want to wash my hands after I played. I suppose it fits thematically, but it was really unpleasant considering that, mechanically, the game is all about observation and exploration and mastering stealth systems that require utilizing the environment. It sucks that I spend so much time in world that looks like it was soaked, left to dry, and then soaked again.

Still a good game, but man fuck that look.

Anyway, my answer is probably MGS2, that game still looks great.
I appreciate that folks have differing opinions on this one. Wouldn't be an interesting discussion about artistic merit without some dissent.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I remember thinking Destiny 2 looked surprisingly average on PC. Looking off into the distance from one of the platforms on the water planet made the game feel like it came out at the start of the gen. That said, the game ran pretty well and was a quality port all round.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
TloU
Metroid Prime 1-3
Resident Evil 1 Remake/Resident Evil 4
Uncharted 1-4
Soul Calibur 2
Bayonetta 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

You just gave an example of a game which hasn't stood the test of time because we're still in the same generation it came out in.

People also say the exact same thing every generation about the best looking games.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I missed these. You are correct!

Although some of the texture work on the varia suit and some walls always looked a bit low res in Prime 1.
Tbh, you don't really see any of the suits most of the time so in that sense I understand why they were never a priority.

I do agree some of the environment texture work is a bit too low res tho.

Hopefully the rumored Trilogy coming to Switch does address these minor issues.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Mirror's Edge is timeless.

I also love SEGA's "Blue Sky" aesthetic, especially in their racing games.

Games like Daytona USA, Scud Race, OutRun2 etc. still look beautiful despite their age IMO.

This is a 23 year old game

This is a 21 year old game

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Half-Life 2 still looks really good. Also Resident Evil 4. Virtua Fighter 3 also.
Yeah I actually played HL2 for the first time last year. The art style is still stunning and the game is great at establishing mood. And it's a game aiming at visual realism from 2004!

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I think Resident Evil 5 (at least the cutscenes, which are all realtime) may still be the best looking game ever released, and it's over 10 years old now. The character models, lighting, color grading, animation and camera work are, in my opinion, far ahead of almost everything else out there. It's just so perfectly executed, visually, that the lower polygon counts and less advanced lighting don't really matter.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Rogue Squadron II - Rogue Leader (2001)
Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike (2003)