• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Rainbow Six: Raven Shield (2003)

Obviously it doesn't have a whole ton of polygons or sharp textures but it's visually consistent, lighting is not completely terrible etc. Gameplay is still the best in the series.

Screamer (1995)

Apart from the horrible draw distance it still looks pretty good! It's actually a shame that this game did not turn into a series as it could have easily been PC's Ridge Racer.

Games before PS3 era are usually the toughest when it comes to visuals, especially on consoles as 3D games then had a ton of mostly empty corridors in them without proper texture filtering and low poly characters. Pretty much anything in the PS3 era that doesn't have awful lighting will do just fine going forward.

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of games of the PS2 era still look good, granted you play them in the original way - that is to say on a cathodic TV.

DarkTom

Nov 9, 2017
Halo-POV.jpg

Yes Halo is looking amazing. That first steps on that Halo world, the exact picture you posted, the sense of wonder, of seeing something you had never seen before, this was something incredible.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
FZero GX, HL2, and arguably BOTW fit the bill. The latter was already outdated on release from a technical point of view, being on a less powerful platform; yet I find it more beautiful to watch than many other modern games.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Final Fantasy XII
Final Dantasy XIII (so far)
Dead of Alive 2 (Dreamcast)
Zone of the Enders the 2nd Runner (i guess it is a little cell shaded)
Any Onimusha (even onimusha's 3 opening CG is still one of the best of all time)

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I actually posted without reading the OP, which states no 2D games :(

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of games this gen I can't imagine looking bad,games like Uncharted 4/TLL , Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War has more stylish than realism,no way they will look bad,of course the new games will looks better,but at the point of making them look bad?No way,one game of the last gen that is still holding so well visually is God of War 3,thanks again the art.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"Games that can withstand the test of time"
*opens with a game from 2017*

... the fuck? 2030 you is going to laugh his ass off when he remembers this thread. :D

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Halo games will definitely stand the test of time. I'd even argue from an art standpoint base Halo CE looks better than the anniversary graphics. When they made H2 Anniversary I believe they learned their lesson and instead of essentially re-doing the way shit looked they just bumped everything up.

I'll also vouch for Half Life 2. Source games in general hold up well.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
The environments in Mirror's Edge, absolutely.

I think vanilla The Sims 2 has held up pretty well too. It's a 15 year old game and some meshes and textures (food, furniture, objects) are still more detailed than in The Sims 4, it's kind of shocking.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
When DMC5 looks dated thats when i give you permission to bury me.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think Wip3out still holds up, unlike many polygonal PS1 games, the aesthetic is fantastic even today.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is probably through an emulator, tough to get direct feed images of it at its default resolution but I still think it gets the style across well.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Even though Witcher 2 isn't that old compared to other games in here (released 8 years ago in 2011), I still think it looks damn pretty for such a old game
Even though it has lackluster facial animations, agressive sharpening effect and too intense bloom effect

http:///e5Hd.png
http:///f5Hd.png
http:///g5Hd.png
http:///i5Hd.png

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Everything on the Vectrex. Those glowing vector lines are stunning to this day.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Shenmue II was released in 2001, and I think it has proved itself already.

It's not cartoony nor cell shaded, in fact it borrows heavily from real life Asian aesthetics. Add it some superb character modelling and cinematic camerawork, and you get this beauty (screenshots from the rerelease):

KbXHnZ5.jpg

vDSDXRK.jpg

WJR8sEg.jpg

F4tRc66.jpg

Stunning even 18 years later.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate on Xbox. It had that super vibrant polished anime look with for its time very high polygon character models, and gorgeous, inspired stages, like no other 3D fighting game after it.

maxresdefault.jpg

946467-914836_20041027_screen011.jpg

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Really I think most 360 and forward games still look pretty good, or at least the high-end ones. There are occasional missteps, like the Halo 3 faces posted above, but otherwise, it all still looks good.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
You are free to correct me, but I still find the way characters express in Silent Hill 3 to be amazing.

Raeng

Sep 30, 2019
Any game with good lighting and artdirection. Titles like Spliter Cell 1, REmake etc. come to mind.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It is not about cell shaded/cartoonish or 2D / 3D, it is about wanting to be realistic or not.
Even in a Sci-Fi settings, Destiny and is sequel wants to be realistic. So it will aged poorly.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah pretty much everything I was going to say has already been mentioned, The Metal Gear Solid series, Silent Hill series, REmake, various fighting games , I'd also say Tekken 4 and 5 are both still amazing not only to look at but to play too. I'd also say Devil May Cry 4 still holds up really well

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Vagrant Story

DZlxxy3.gif

3kLEadj.jpg

b7c152e05f6a453a843b90440a9e34b3.jpg

Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate on Xbox. It had that super vibrant polished anime look with for its time very high polygon character models, and gorgeous, inspired stages, like no other 3D fighting game after it.

maxresdefault.jpg

946467-914836_20041027_screen011.jpg

DOA2 Ultimate kinda reached the logical conclusion of that art style. Everything since has just been incremental improvements.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I honestly disagree with the sentiment some people have that games that look great today wont always look great. I've been playing a lot of last-gen games lately that I'd missed out on at the time (and replaying some old favorites) and I'm surprised by how different my response is to a 360 game vs a PS2 game. Even more so if it's back compat upscaled or a remaster. Gears of War 3 looked absolutely incredible in 4K, and even Gears: Judgment looked pretty damn good without any upscaling. If anything it's the lack of commitment to even half-decent performance that holds that era's games back the most, but in games without those issues/remasters that's never a problem.

Yakuza 3 Remastered looks good to me, if not visually impressive. Yakuza 5 (the PS3 version) looks great to me, even if it runs fairly terribly on the PS3. If I find Mirror's Edge, Red Dead 1, GTA 4, Motorstorm: Apocalypse, and many other games to be good looking 10+ years on today, I'll probably never change my mind.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Some games are still playable and look ok, but far and away the best example is REmake and Zero. Just replayed them recently and hard to believe those are almost twenty years old. Not only are they acceptable they are still downright gorgeous for the most part.

Only games close to those Two in my opinion are the prime games

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the viewer's age comes into play here a bit.

At 38, I see a lot of older games and still feel like they look great but I doubt a 14 year old would agree. They would probably think that most of those older games just look "old".