• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
zep1Vd.jpg

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
To this day I find something about SH3 better looking than (some) modern games. Yeah poly count is lower and everything. Voice acting wasn't amazing. But something about the models looks really expressive and unique in a way that I really appreciate. Then again, when I think of SH3 I'm thinking of playing it on an emulator with the resolution bumped up so maaaybe not a fair comparison lol

edit: After rewatching some cutscenes, I think it's the focus on the eyes/eyebrows. Something about that focus really gets me.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not cel shaded or cartoonish, but it is a distinctive visual style nevertheless:

CfZ3vMP.png

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Prime 3 despite running on overclocked Gamecube Hardware is still a looker (note this is emulated)
metroid-prime-3-screenshot-2.png

At the time I only had a flatscreen SDTV and I would argue up and down with people that it looked just as good if not better than Halo 3 because that was all I could play both systems on.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The first gif here is ugly as hell and makes me sick looking at it. Absolutely disgusting.

I would never use analog controls for classic RE but if they allow more people to enjoy the quintessential classic RE game and one of the best games of the last 20 years, then including them was a good thing. I don't get it, but options are not a bad thing.

muteant

Nov 1, 2017
i don't think i'll ever not find certain areas in Dark Souls (non-remastered) visually arresting. Darkroot in particular. i'm confident in saying that because in a sense the game was "dated" from day one, or at least its technical shortcomings were always conspicuous.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Vagrant Story shots making me wish I enjoyed the actual game. It's beautiful to look at but I had zero fun playing it.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil REmake on Gamecube still looks fantastic to this day due to it's blending of pre-rendered backgrounds and great character models/lighting.

X7idH1I.gif

I remember the first time I saw footage of this on the old UK channel ".TV". I had to pick my jaw up of the floor. Rogue Squadron for Gamecube too! Such an incredible leap over the PS1/N64 that I had!

That gen (DC/PS2/XBOX/GC) will never be beaten for the leap in visuals over the previous gen. I hope Dark1x does a Retro video on the transition of that gen one day. It's still mind blowing to this day!

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Rayman Origin and Legends will probably always be the best looking 2d platformers. When I look at them compared to others like Mario Maker 2, Hollow Knight, Yoshi Switch, hell even Indivisible... Rayman demolishes them visually.

Ori is another that will always look great

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Most of these games look dated, but that's not the issue.

In terms of stand the test of time; I don't think it takes graphics, just powerful art styles.

ALTTP, SMB3, SMW, TTYD. Seems easier with 2D but I am sure there are many more and better examples. Anything 3D looks instantly dated to me.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Can't find the gifs right now, but Killzone 2, easily. None of the games afterwards committed to the same strong artistic vision and therefore won't stand the test of time.

So perfect in all the ways that matter. Hate the look of the new DOAs.

Most beautiful game ever made
tumblr_ok4hxbsEHG1ukholjo1_r1_540.gif
Amazing how TLG feels like something from the past and the future at the same time. I do think it will stand the test of time.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
God, I love how they've faked the rim lighting. Probably the single coolest retro graphics effect. Every model that gets this treatment immediately looks a million times better, no matter how few polys it's composed of. Just... *swoon*

There needs to be a whole thread on games that managed to fake graphic effects WAY before their time, like how GoldenEye used a primitive form of photogrammetry.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard games land that timeless look for me pretty well. WoW, Diablo, OverWatch -- I truly can't imagine they'll every really look old.

Ditto for any 3d Mario since Sunshine.

Color me a bit surprised that this thread kicked off with Destiny. Lol. I'm pretty vocal about how bland and boring the franchise is visually, personally. I find it pretty dated already. Or maybe dated isn't the right word. It's just...unremarkable. Even when it was new.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for both Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader and Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike.
Factor 5 squeezed everything from the GameCube with those titles and then some.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019

Motorhead (PC) came out in 1998. I love how it looks, to this day.

Also, I can´t believe no one has mentioned Killer 7 or No More Heroes.

My Wii favorite is this one, however:

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Soul Calibur on Dreamcast still looks good to me, especially in in motion.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I think Portal 2 still looks really good (although I'm never too picky about graphics)

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i feel like doa4 looks much better than doa 5 and 6. the new DOAs have this washed out blur to them that ruins the look.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I know this would fall in the "cartoonish" kind, but just wanted to say that Pokémon Battle Revolution for the Wii still looks great to me, especially for being 13 years old.

maxresdefault.jpg

But there aren't many 3D Pokémon games we can compare it to, since it's been mainly 2D, handheld throughout the years, until recently.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex 1 never looked that great but is still much loved.

It's not going to look much worse as time goes on lol.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I played the Xbox versions of Splinter Cell and Double Agent recently on One X and thought they held up pretty well. The environments being so dark definitely helps though.

REmake will forever look good.

Metroid Prime 1-3 as well if those aren't considered too cartoony.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How no one posting Crysis gifs? the fuck is this thread? Literally is the answer and dumps on everything here