• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Only 10 years old, but I think Modern Warfare 2 has aged surprisingly well:

codmw215-nov09-23mvknu.jpg

codmw215-nov09-01g0kwt.jpg

codmw214-nov09-14i4jfc.jpg

The game looks super clean on PC and the art direction is strong throughout the campaign.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I demand gifs or ill report you for a low effort drive by!
I guess you mean low effort truth.
I have no gifs, but here is a video I looked up for your low effort begging.

I sadly can't find a good dolphin emulated video that only ups the resolution.
Higher resolution is the only thing that game needs. The series needs switch ports and a fourth entry.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness

ymL6QH9.png

M9ZGeNl.png

VyKtKtc.png

5zf5dtj.png

wh9M89p.png

06KMG4w.png

The textures may be a bit low-res and some of the character models are rough-looking but, all in all, I think it holds up very well thanks to its colour palette, lighting and attention to detail. The game's environment artists and level designers really had a way of making a place feel lived-in and authentic. Plus, the cutscenes in this game look great because they used motion-capture for all the cutscene animations and they really did a good job with shot composition.

(These screenshots aren't the best but it's actually not easy to find high-res screens of the game. Most screenshots out there are from back when the game released which means they're very low-res.)

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
4872520070315_160118_1_big.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

God of War 2 still looks absolutely beautiful nearly 13 years after its release. Phenomenal art style, I think it's aged nicer than God of War 3 (which looks fantastic still) and certainly Ascension (who's art style never totally jived with me).

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The first Mirror's Edge is still the game I use to test every new monitor I buy and it came out 11 years ago.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it has to do with display technology. Tons of PS2/1 games look GREAT today if you see them in a CRT but are a downright embarrassment if you see them in an HDTV.

So, assuming you can see them in their best light:

MGS 1, 2 and 3
Final Fantasy IX, X and XII
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Mario 64
Silent Hill 2/3
Burnout 3
Diablo 3
Uncharted 2
Metroid Prime
RE:make
RE4

bunch more

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually ok with the graphics of a lot of games from the DC/PS2 era going forward.

Good art will always look good.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Destiny 2 only came out two years ago.. I'd be more surprised if it didn't still look good.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I guess you mean low effort truth.
I have no gifs, but here is a video I looked up for your low effort begging.

I sadly can't find a good dolphin emulated video that only ups the resolution.
Higher resolution is the only thing that game needs. The series needs switch ports and a fourth entry.

hope it was clear I was being facetious.

but high quality dolphin videos are pretty easy to come by... and are fucking amazing.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I am gonna add Valkyrie Profile Silmeria. I was blown away back then by this game ans still am. A lot of late ps2 games look good to this day such as Tekken 5 heck even Tag Tournament which was a launch game. Also Virtua Fighter 4, Genji, original Killzone.

First xbox has a bunch of the too: Splinter Cell, Burnout 3, the NFS Underground games, Outrun, Ninja Gaiden Black.

Edit: how come I forgot gamecube. That whole gen has aged better than ps3/360 gen in my opinion. Last gen we had way too many piss/gray filter.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast)
Played it months age and It still looks great and the graphics, details of players and audience and atmosphere are still amazing after about 20 years.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mentioning games from this or the past gen seems like a cheat to me. It's natural those games would still look nice today, they made the HD jump. I think the real focus of the thread should be in games pre-HD era.

Metroid Prime is one that I was replaying recently and holds really well. The atmosphere and execution work just as well today as they did in 2001.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory looks stupid good for 64MB of RAM. The badly aged parts are the faces, especially Sam's eyes oh my god, but otherwise I think it still looks very good.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not totally sure if it counts, given the game is an odd mix of pixel art sprites and 3D world, but I feel that Ragnarok Online's graphics have aged surprisingly well - given the game was designed to run on late 90s PCs.

The forced top-down perspective probably helps with lowering the polycount and lighting effort required.
I remember when I launched it when it was still newish, in 2004, and it blew my mind. Bright, clear, 3D graphics. Nicely lit, with an art style that meshes nicely with the sprites, without being overstylized.

Though, the Z-fighting and transparency bugs do grate pretty badly nowadays.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Dishonored. It's not like it's realistic in its art direction, but the painterly aesthetic of textures and strangely boxy proportions of both people and objects in the world lend the series a distinctly ethereal look that hasn't aged yet. Dishonored 2 is still a visual knockout (it only came out a few years ago), but even the first game still holds up really well.

Wow, I did not think about the Dishonored series, but gotta say I think this is probably the closest to being the 'right' answer.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing through Arkham Knight for like the 4th time and boy does it ever look amazing. I can't imagine this every looking "bad".

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Quake-Free-Download-1.png

Quake 1 looks amazing without the texture filtering making everything a blurry mess.
And that's not even including mods like Arcane Dimensions with its AMAZING architecture:

ad_logo.jpg.811a07dadbcec5e8807a0d91a5f95d15.jpg

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil REmake on Gamecube still looks fantastic to this day due to it's blending of pre-rendered backgrounds and great character models/lighting.

X7idH1I.gif
This. I've been playing the HD version for the first time on the big screen, and it's still as stunning to me now as it was back then.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keeps posting realistic artstyle Halo, Halflife ect but they look hella dated, I don't think that artstyle age well compared to stylized ones

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Diablo 2 still looks pretty damn good. Hell, it'll very likely age way better than Diablo 3 because of the art style they went with.
diablo-2-remaster-with-ai-upscaling-looks-devilishly-good-tweaktown.jpg

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People keeps posting realistic artstyle Halo, Halflife ect but they look hella dated, I don't think that artstyle age well compared to stylized ones

Yep, a lot of the images posted here look already pretty dated. People also shouldn't be posting realistic looking games of this generation. They look great right now, yes, but they will definitely look old once next gen arrives.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
My conclusion seeing this thread is that the whole idea of visuals aging well or poorly is kind of a meme. Graphics are ninety-nine percent art, so generally speaking what looked good looks good, anyone with half a brain knows to contextualize blocky visuals within the technological constraints of their time period.
Visuals that age poorly rely a lot on technological novelty or gimmicks, my personal example would be games that made heavy use of shader effects on the original Xbox, I was so mesmerized by the novelty of bumpy surfaces and dynamic shadows in games Riddick and Splinter Cell that I didn't really see the bigger picture, these games were not particularly pretty. Halo 2 would have looked better had it skimped on some of the fancy effects and gone for a more old school visual style like the first game.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
hope it was clear I was being facetious.

but high quality dolphin videos are pretty easy to come by... and are fucking amazing.

Hopefully as much as with my post.
I've found this vid in my search but it has some stuttering so I chose against posting it. That's why I specified 'good' videos.
Also, there should not be a need to post gifs or videos of Rogue Squadron. Anyone that wants to see the games in action again should turn on their Gamecube/Wii/PC and start the game up.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me a lot of Dreamcast games are still good looking today, even more when you're playing with the internal resolution.

Power Stone, Virtua Tennis, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2, Jet Set Radio and many more 3D games are still pretty legit even though they're polygonal.

I'd post screenshots under normal circumstances but I'm at work at the moment. :P

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mirror's Edge is timeless.

I also love SEGA's "Blue Sky" aesthetic, especially in their racing games.

Games like Daytona USA, Scud Race, OutRun2 etc. still look beautiful despite their age IMO.

This is a 23 year old game

This is a 21 year old game

It still hurts that we never got a domestic version of these games... two of my favorite arcade racers of all time.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd add TLOU. It's probably early to add it but I think it deserves to be included.

Halo 1 has definitely aged the best of all the older halo games(especially on a CRT). And in terms of more love for bizarre I'll add PGR4 and Drive club. All of those will be remembered nicely in the coming decades for unbelievable visuals.
shadow of the colossus ps2 still looks good to me
Same here(although I'm sure frame rate might be an issue)