• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Fire Emblem Conquest easily has one of, if not the best gameplay and map design in the franchise, but it still gets a ton of hate from Fire Emblem fans because pretty much every other aspect of the game is horrible.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Far Cry 2 - many interesting mechanics, good gameplay and setting but otherwise nothing special when it comes to other aspects of the game

Dragon's Dogma - good combat system.. nothing interesting or really good about the rest of the game

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I'm playing through Yakuza: Dead Souls now, which is considered the worst Yakuza game. I can see why it gets a bad rap, and that's mainly the shooting and camera (though even then I've endured far worse, tbh). However, its storytelling and sense of humour is absolutely top-notch and stands well in line alongside the mainline Yakuza games. I would even say that this is a far funnier Yakuza game than normal. This substory had me laughing out loud.

Next up is Star Ocean: The Last Hope, which might be one of the worst games I've ever played. Still, I concede I had a lot of fun in the boss fights for the game, the combat design was really good, and it almost made me want to stick through to the end.

Deus Ex: The Fall was quickly dismissed as an opportunistic cash crab by fans, and I can understand that. Still, for a game that came out in 2013 for mobile platforms, it is a shockingly well-made rendition of the Deus Ex formula. You can tell the developers put a lot of care into making it as high-quality an experience as possible while also retaining Deus Ex gameplay and story beats. It's an inferior game when compared to the full-fledged titles, but as a mobile game from 2013, I think it's quite the achievement. I've yet to see a mobile game with that level of depth and finesse.

The new Thief also got a pretty bad rap that caused the franchise to be put in the freezer for a while. I don't really think it was as bad as a lot of people made it out to be, to be honest, but I can agree there's nothing about it that stands out as such. However, something I found really cool about it is how they animated Garrett's entire body even though it's a first-person game. So if you run up against a wall, he places his hands in front of him. If you steal something, you actually see him swipe it with his hand. If you're lockpicking or checking a painting for hidden switches, his hands are on the screen. It's a very overlooked detail that, in my opinion, makes the the game feel really responsive and immersive.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
DriveClub - arrived very late with a campaign that really wasn't my cup of tea and AI that was the bandiest of rubber bands. And while the graphics engine was utterly superb the developer made the absolutely baffling decision to (in photography terms) expose for the sky rather than the road.

Really nice face, utter shame about the game. I'd love to see that graphics engine used for another racing game.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
- Wolfenstein (2009). It's not a CoD clone, at least I never felt that way. It has satisfying gunplay and the upgrades give it plenty of replay value. The upgraded Kar-98 in this game has to be one of the most satisfying weapons I've ever fired in a video game.

- Twisted Metal III. As a huge fan of the series, this title is not that bad, despite what series fans might think. As opposed to the games spearheaded by Jaffe, Twisted Metal III at least showed some improvements to the AI, among other things. Opponents will attack and kill each other and even go for health. All of the games under Jaffe, all opponents target you and only you. If you were to spectate you would see them just driving around aimlessly. The poor AI becomes more noticeable with each passing game. Also, I loved the London stage in TM3. I'll be the first to admit that the stories suck but I always felt it was a decent game. Plus, it has the best iteration of Minion in my opinion.

- Shadow Warrior 2. I have a feeling that this game is very underrated. I really loved the weapons. The arsenal is pretty big and you won't acquire every weapon on your first playthrough. I thought it was really fun.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect: Andromeda was pretty good in terms of the toolset the combat system gave you, but let down by the open world design more or less eliminating any kind of tightly focused encounter design, outside of a few areas that revolved around specific encounters.

The customization stuff was also pretty good, although the UI was kinda terrible (and for some reason, wouldn't stack multiple copies of the gear).