• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 23, 2017
Final Fantasy XII.

I beat the PS2 game and put over 100 hours in the Zodiac Age on PS4. I just couldn't get into it. Reasons why in no particular order:

1. The License Board isn't deep whatsoever. I'm still trying to figure out why they even bothered with this. You pick a class then you fill the board. You can pick a second class and do the same thing. Since you can't have multiples of the same classes anywhere, you have to think about how you want to set up your team. However, I don't think there's much consequence to just pick whatever class you want and figure it out later. That's what I got out of it anyway.
2. The story is extremely lackluster. I've been told for years how the political intrigue and grand Star Wars-like adventure makes this story epic. That's not my view on this after I beat it twice. The politics are barely in this game. The main characters have zero complexity to them whatsoever. I do like Balthier's quips though.
3. The battle system isn't fun. Setting up your gambits and going to town has never been fun to me at either regular speed or 4x speed. I don't want to watch the game play itself and then chip in with manual attacks every once in awhile if I screw up. If you don't know enough about gambits, you could spend a lot of time just figuring out decent combinations. I'd much rather engage in ATB or Action combat. Both are more fun and if done right, can offer strategy as well. Gambits are just never going to do it for me.
4, The graphics are bland as heck. I don't hate the art style but I really don't like the lack of good variety in locales. Most of the locations have such a dry feel to them. Made exploration less fun. You can say what you want about FF XIII but it's locales were much more cooler to look at.
5. The side quests were not all that fun. I really have no desire to fight a monster 6 times or so to fill up its bestiary. That is super duper over kill. Why wasn't 1 enough? The other side quests mostly involve finding stuff that barely relates to the lore. Some of them were good but I didn't enjoy most of them.

My overall problem with Final Fantasy XII is that not a single thing that this game tries to accomplish fits into my top 5 of any aspect of the Final Fantasy franchise. It's a bland game that's polished well but not that enjoyable to play. I just can't see why some other's rank it so high. I really can't.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Most JRPGs. I wish I liked them. I'll still try sometimes if it looks interesting.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon for me. I bought it around the same time as Zelda, played Zelda first. Started up Horizon, and I just could not get into it. I recently tried again, pushing forward, but the combat just does not grab me at all. It mostly just seems to be fire arrows, dodge, melee close. I tried experimenting with the electtical line weapon, then was hit with two saber Dino's and I haven't loaded it up since.

Feichaw

Oct 27, 2017
PUBG. Boring. I was in Top 20 almost everytime by just running and collecting loot (maps are too BIG). Lots of cheaters as well.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian.

GOD it kills me that I never hit the point where I got into it. I know I would have if I kept going but it honestly felt like a chore for several hours and I have such little free time and so many games to play.

I kind of want to watch a good playthrough but I know that won't capture the magic of playing through a Ueda game. But I wasn't really enjoying playing through this one though, so...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently that would be Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

I was invested in the story (a rarity for Kingdom Hearts) but the gameplay was abysmal.

I also didn't like Breath of the Wild as much as I wanted to.

Oct 27, 2017
Undertale. Everything about it ticks all my boxes, but eh.

Also Dark Souls. Loved Demon Souls, but I just got bored halfway through DS

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Nier: Automata

I just don't care about anything happening here and have no fun interacting with it. not for me, i guess

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I tried to get into Smash, but I hated the controls and I thought the gameplay just wasn't as satisfying as regular fighting games.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Broken Age. It was supposed to be an grand return for Tim Schafer to the point and click adventures of old. In the end it was a decent enough game but ultimately very forgettable for me. Thimbleweed Park knocked it out of the park though, that was exactly the game I wanted Broken Age to be.

I kind of felt the same about Broken Age, but I didn't really get far enough to feel comfortable judging it. I just got distracted by other games.

How should I play Thimbleweed Park? PC, PS4, Switch, or iOS? I honestly have so many games in my backlog and such little time and focus that I wonder if I'd ever truly be able to give it the attention it deserves, but I'd like to try.

Thinking about it... since I'm not sure whether I'd prefer to play this portably or stationary, I should hedge my bets and go with the Switch.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Bayonetta. This might even apply to character action games on the whole, but Bayonetta is the only one I took a plunge and bought. I've tried twice. Combat looks amazing but I just am not able to get into it.

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
220px-Bloodborne_Cover_Wallpaper.jpg

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like Galak-Z, space shooter with rogue-like elements and a 80s era anime styling? It sounds perfect but I just couldn't get over the controls. I wanted something more arcadey.

I also thought I would love Talos Principle but it just felt finnicky. It probably isn't that precise but with every puzzle I felt like I was fucking up by being off by half a degree or a centimeter out of position and that would nag at me too much.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity Original Sin.

Bought it on a PSN sale. Absolutely did not enjoy the first hour. Haven't touched it since.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Endless Space/Legend - Feels a bit soulless and spreadsheet-y, the UI in particular.

Brutal Legend - 10/10 style, 5/10 gameplay.

Dark Souls - Felt more like work than anything else. Bounced off it half a dozen times, finally got past the Gaping Dragon and dropped it forever.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Path of Exile. I've tried getting into it multiple times during multiple new patches/leagues and can never stick with it for more than a week or so.

Overtech

Oct 27, 2017
Golf Story. I loved the art style, but the golf mechanics were terrible. I felt like I could hit the ball the same way two different times and I would get wildly different results.

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I put a million hours into Skyrim and mopped up most of The Witcher 3, but BotW's doing nothing for me. With how much joy it's given to other people, I feel like I'm soulless for not liking it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
How should I play Thimbleweed Park? PC, PS4, Switch, or iOS? I honestly have so many games in my backlog and such little time and focus that I wonder if I'd ever truly be able to give it the attention it deserves, but I'd like to try.
Up to you of course, but I went PC (the Fangamer physical edition btw, which is great and still available I think). I'm very much a console guy, but Point 'n Click Adventures I tend to play exclusively on PC, it's just how it has to be for me as I started out with Monkey Island 1 and 2 back in the day and that cemented my "PnC on PC" mentality.

Whatever platform you end up playing it on, I'm sure you'll love it. At first I was just a tad disappointed at the lack of interactive points in the world (old LucarArts adventures let you check many things on screen) but that feeling soon went away as the game went on. It'll be obvious why that is when you start playing yourself.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Divinity Original Sin.

Bought it on a PSN sale. Absolutely did not enjoy the first hour. Haven't touched it since.

I'm with you on that. I hear so much praise but it just starts off so slow. The intro dungeon's alright but then there's like 3-4 of slowly walking around Cyseal talking to people. Also I personally don't think the writing is as funny as it thinks it is.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Gravity Rush 2, and Persona 5. All good games, but they did nothing for me. All of them felt like a chore.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dark souls. i've played demon souls, dark souls 1-3, and bloodbourne. Plenty of chances to get into the series and I can't. Even played Nioh and I thought that was ok but didn't love it. Shame cause I was excited as FUCK for ds 1 on 360.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Jet Set Radio. I love the OST and SEGA games in general, but I cant gel with the gameplay. I'll probably give it yet another chance eventually, but it's not like I was ever into the Tony Hawk games either.

banefirelord

Dec 18, 2017
Dark Sou...
dark souls. i've played demon souls, dark souls 1-3, and bloodbourne. Plenty of chances to get into the series and I can't. Even played Nioh and I thought that was ok but didn't love it. Shame cause I was excited as FUCK for ds 1 on 360.
Yeah, this. Just doesn't click with me at all, and I've given all of them except DS3 a fair shake. I love everything about Bloodborne except playing it, however...more weird Lovecraftian games, please.

More recently, Divinity Original Sin 2. I'm still early and I don't necessarily dislike it, but as a tabletop player being told it was practically a pen and paper RPG and one of the greatest CRPGs ever made, I expected exponentially more freedom and reactivity than it actually offers.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Dishonored 1, i should have loved that game, it's almost like it was made for me, but i just got bored of it, it was almost like the game gave you too many options in the environment, it was super easy get where ever you wanted to go, almost always several routes that could completely avoid all enemies.

I have been thinking about giving it another chance but at this point i am better of playing the sequel.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Up to you of course, but I went PC (the Fangamer physical edition btw, which is great and still available I think). I'm very much a console guy, but Point 'n Click Adventures I tend to play exclusively on PC, it's just how it has to be for me as I started out with Monkey Island 1 and 2 back in the day and that cemented my "PnC on PC" mentality.

Whatever platform you end up playing it on, I'm sure you'll love it. At first I was just a tad disappointed at the lack of interactive points in the world (old LucarArts adventures let you check many things on screen) but that feeling soon went away as the game went on. It'll be obvious why that is when you start playing yourself.

Hmmmm. Great point about it being point and click. I think I'm hesitant to do that because I kind of want to be comfortable when I'm playing a game like that, but I could always chill on my bed with my laptop.

How long is it? And what sells this game above others in the genre?

(Sorry to derail for anyone else! But it's nice to hear about games worth getting into in a thread about games you couldn't...)

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The Last of Us.

Boring as fuck. Cannot comprehend why so many people go ape shit over this game. Like, if you think it's good, that's alright. But people honestly think this is some brilliant, master class, work of art. That it's the game that defines the medium and the culmination of all things in the realm of gaming.

Give me a break. Calm your asses down.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Many, but the only one that I really, really, REALLY wanted to like was Ni No Kuni.

Beautiful and charming but Christ it was dull.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian.

I loved the monster, Trico, and cared a lot about what happened to it. The controls, however, were almost inexcusably clunky and playing was a constant battle against them. It almost ruined the entire game for me.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy and Persona are both game series I've tried multiple times that didn't click for me. They're pretty boring imo.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Mass Effect. It's combat is one of most boring stuff i played in my life. Also, didn't feel like the skill tree had the minimum impact and the orders system is completely messed up.

I like the setting and all the lore, enjoy a lot the dialogue system and was invested at first, but the combat sections make it unplayable for me, unfortunately.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo Sport, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Nier Automata. I own all of these games but none of them quite did it for me. I was looking forward to all of them but fell off hard. I beat Horizon and enjoyed the story but didn't really like anything else about it. I like the handling in GTS but I'm not much of an online racer, I don't like the new characters in FEW, and Nier is one of those games I think about playing and when I do I shut it off after ten or fifteen minutes and do something else.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 5 - Watched the trailer dozens of times and I was totally expecting to get engrossed in this one. I think I got 10 hours in and it felt like I was forcing myself the entire way. I remember doing a mission where I was infiltrating a base. I spent a good 45 staking the place out and going in all stealth like. Then some random guy found me, the alert got buzzed. I dropped the controller and never picked it back up.

Last Guardian - It pains me I couldn't get into this one since I was highly anticipating it for years. Again I felt like I was forcing myself to play the entire way. It was more frustrating than fun. So after a few hours I put it down.

Final Fantasy VIII - I remember playing the demo a ton of times. I loved the Leviathan summon and being blown away by the graphics. I got a good ways into it and realized I hated every character in the game. I could care less for the story and the combat wasn't enough to keep me glued.

Last edited:

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
The Witcher 3. Simply do not like the combat method. Tried several times and will give it one more go.
RAGE. Generic world with no fun allowed. Expected a Fallout type hybrid but was pretty souless all round.
More recently, Gears 4, too dull and did not care for the characters. Nier:Automata, just not what I wanted at all.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
220px-Bastion_Boxart.jpg

Tried twice(360 and PS4). Fizzled both times around the halfway point. Was not really a fan of the environment design or the combat. The customization and narration was neat though, but the love escaped me.

I really dug Transistor though, and I am looking forward to playing Pyre at some point.

Might get some hate for this but for me that would be Horizon Zero Dawn. Everything about the game appealed to me until I played it. Not sure why.. maybe it's just open world fatigue.

Not alone. I too was fatigued and after 30 hours of really forcing myself to push through it due to external love, I told myself finally to drop it and go play something I wanted to. The combat against the robots was neat though, but the world felt dry and lacked much exploration intrigue. The story and narrative came across as pedestrian as well. Was surprised at the love honestly.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Little King's Story for the Wii.
Tried three fucking times to like it, but man it was so hard, boring and ugly.

Supha_Volt

Nov 3, 2017
Botw was the big one for me. I just couldn't get into how the story was playing out of and some of the mechanics were annoying but I could over see them. I think what pushed me over the edge though was not learning about the parry/flurry mechanic in the game until 35/40 hour mark. I don't know if I missed some dialogue somewhere or a mission popping up about it or what but that annoyed the hell out of me and made me put the game down.

I'll probably go back and enjoy it now knowing these mechanics but for struggling so long later in the game not knowing these mechanics was awful and made me put it down for now.