• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
It's a game that I would have otherwise adored had it not been for its generic, shonen boy protagonist. I just couldn't get past my dislike for Rex and ended up quitting the game prematurely. I wanted to love the game so bad. Someday I'll make a thread about it.

Golf Story
This is more of a case of me not being able to stand its music. The gameplay and story was pretty neat!

FF6
I was so hyped to play this game. Everyone kept on saying it was the best FF ever made - one of the best games of all time!

Maybe it's because I played it too long after it came out, but I really didn't enjoy it. The vast majority of the characters seemed underdeveloped and shallow. The only character I really ended up caring about was Celes, and even she was tainted by her forced/half-cooked romance with Locke. Also, while battles were kind of fun, the enemy encounter rate was aggravatingly high. Three quarters of the way through the game I realized I wasn't enjoying myself and stopped.

Maybe I'm just weird because I almost never hear bad things about FF6. It wasn't my cup of tea, though.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Final Fantasy XV. I literally tried to convince myself that I love the game. Then at the end of Chapter 4 i just broke and admitted to myself that I hate the game.

I ended up still finishing it bc I waited 10 years for it and FF is my favorite series, but yeah. Hated it

Also:

Witcher 2. Combats too bad and game is too slow paced for my tastes

Breath of the Wild. Nothing can make me fall asleep faster than a combo of a giant empty world and zero/ambient music.

Namko

Oct 27, 2017
Last one was Horizon: Zero Dawn. It just didn't click..

But my gf loved the game so it was not a loss!

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
All Naughty Dog games. I keep trying them thinking I will finally see what other people see in them, but I am inevitably bored and frustrated by (what I see as) the shoddy, loose gameplay, as well as the linear and (what I see as) hand-holdy nature of the game in general. Run up to a thing, a triangle button-prompt appears, hit triangle, proceed.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime is the classic example of this for me. I feel like it's the one "GOAT tier" game that really didn't rope me in at all. The lock-on based shooting was dull and the confusing 3D map made navigation a real chore.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
Gears of War. I was so hyped, but I just could not get over the silly story and the super obvious "YOU CAN TAKE COVER HERE" gameplay. Every area in the game had these conveniently placed walls that just destroyed my suspension of disbelief, Sad, because it did have its moments, and it was admittedly pretty good in co-op.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Super Mario Odyssey. I loved every Super Mario game, but can't get myself to play this game for longer than a few minutes somehow.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
Loads, usually I fall in love with the atmosphere / art direction but then find I don't have the patience for the actual game:

Dark Souls
Darkest Dungeon (I still dable on iPad)
Monster Hunter series (been trying since PSP)
Slews of Indie games, like Enter the Gungeon and Dungeons of the Endless

Part of it I think is age / kids / less time. I play games to relax, so the more challenging titles don't really do it for me these days.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Divinity: Original Sin 2: I see why people love it, but it's just not for me.

Witcher 3: Tried numerous times to love it, but I just can't. The gameplay is just not there, which is a shame, since I do find the way they handled quests interesting.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Cripes where do I start

Nier: Automata
Witcher 2
Night in the Woods
Doki Doki Literature Club
Persona 3
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy X
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Bioshock Infinite
Spec-Ops: The Line

and those are the ones I can list off the top of my head. Nier was a case of I could appreciate it for what it was but it wasn't for me (same with all the FF games), Night in the Woods, Doki Doki and Bioshock Infinite I couldn't stand by the end of them.

Pyre. Big fan of Supergiant, couldn't get into this one.

This is a good one too. I played up in till the first big donation game, then realised the rest of the game would be like this and I wasn't invested enough in the characters to do it again. Transistor I put down after about an hour too (Bastion I adored and have replayed a good few times).

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Most JRPGs, I just can't really get into them.

I either get bored or have no clue what to do. (Played some Persona 3 Portable on my phone and had that problem, for example).

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Hotline Miami. Didn't control well at all with the Xbox One controller and it's just too stressful to the point where playing it is a very unpleasant experience for me.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn. It felt way too limiting after BOTW.

I'll try the game again some day, though.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
The Binding Of Isaac
q9RT-pyPRP7_83iZTZlKbAKVitlTpuOA.png

So far it's not clicking as much as I would have liked. maybe it's because I need to invest more time and get used to learn the items and mechanics, but for the time it's being kinda hard to keep playing.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I wanted to like Nier: Automata. I was really excited for the game but outside of the initial stages the game was incredibly boring. I came back to it and finished it but fuck it bored me to tears until the end sequences.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
Walking simulators and first person puzzle games like The Talos Principle, or pretty Journey-ish games. I really like the idea of them, and like what I see in trailers and whatnot, but I very rarely click with them.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Gravity Rush 2...

All the stealth missions killed it for me.

Wait what, stealth? Honestly I was just about to buy this game today since it's on sale on Eu PS store. If you dont mind, can you elaborate?

On topic:
Uncharted 4
Spec ops
Wolfenstein the new order
Dishonored 2 (I just dropped it after clockwork mansion for some reason)

Last edited:

SausagePiano

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Have a really hard time to play Odyssey and Botw for more than 10 minutes in a row. They are just boring somehow.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dead rising.

bought a 360 for the game, just to realize that I hate time constraints when I play, and the game was focused around them

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
The Last of Us.

Boring as fuck. Cannot comprehend why so many people go ape shit over this game. Like, if you think it's good, that's alright. But people honestly think this is some brilliant, master class, work of art. That it's the game that defines the medium and the culmination of all things in the realm of gaming.

Give me a break. Calm your asses down.

Yes please, and I actually for the most part enjoyed the game. To me it was like a pretty good, enjoyable thriller novel, but people constantly talk about it like it was a Dostojevsky-level work of art. I respect those peoples opinions and I´m happy they enjoyed it so immensly. I simply just don´t understand.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Heavy Rain - Came into this way late. I wanted to see the precursor to "cinematic experiences" in games, which I enjoy. The presentation actually holds up, but man the writing and the voice acting were laughable.

Just Cause 2 - Had a lot of fun with silly open world games before I got into this, but the action was just never weighty enough for me, and it's just constantly having you do the same enemy camp takeover type of mission.

Sleeping Dogs - The story had a lot of promise! It just really wanted to have its cake and eat it too with how its resolved. Was let down by the setup of the sidequests, too. Found the driving too arcadey, and the Batman-lite combat (coming from a huge Arkham fan) just felt off.

Limbo and Bastion - Similar experiences here. Both had the reputation of being "pioneer" indie games that looked great and had something different to say. Their aesthetics are great, for sure, but I was never engaged with their mechanics and narrative. I did end up loving the latter releases from the devs!

Titan Souls - The idea of condensing the tension of a Souls boss battle into that moment where it's just one hit for either you or the boss and mixing that with the sparseness of a world like Shadow of the Colossus sounded brilliant. In execution, the battles were either forgettable or frustrating, and having zero meaningful interaction with the space between the battles made me not care at all about the "lore" of the world.

ABZU and The Last Guardian - Journey and Shadow of the Colossus are two of my favorite games of all time. They are special, life-affirming experiences to me. These two games felt like hollow simulacra to their predecessors. Gorgeous games, no doubt, but I didn't feel anything powerful from playing them.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Every modern game by Bethesda

Every GTA

I love the Arkham series but Arkham Knight is the only one where I stop after some hours and never go back to it

Nioh

Dragon's Dogma

The new Wolfenstein games

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
Mirrors Edge 2

Loved the first but it feels like the open worldness detracts from the fun of the game somehow.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
I'm definitely going to get hated on for this choice since it's a beloved classic, but Skies of Arcadia. Played both the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions, and both times I lasted somewhere between 10 to 20 hours before dropping it. I really, really, REALLY wanted to love it since the characters were fun, the concept of playing as SKY PIRATES was great, airship battles were cool, and the music was good.

But good fucking lord, the encounter rate (even the decreased one in the GC version) was insane. I found the battles slow and boring, and the story for the chunk of game I played was nothing more than a cliche-fest with no decent surprises.

I really wanted Gravity Rush 2 to be my GOTY but none of the missions really play into the game's strengths, which are having easily the best flying mechanics in video games and having a super interesting world. I dropped it after the third trailing mission in a row because it didn't feel like it had as much content that I liked as the first one.

I liked Gravity Rush 2, but I agree 100% with you. Not only do you have that great flying/gravity shifting mechanic, but then there's also the Lunar/Jupiter modes as well...that the game barely utilizes because of its baffling emphasis on terrible stealth missions and "destroy the nevi!" stone tablet challenges. It'd be like if a Mario game introduced a lot of fun new jump-related abilities but then had 60% of the game focus on underwater levels.

sickvisionz

Jan 19, 2018
Bloodborne

I kinda figured I wouldn't like it because I didn't like the little bit of Demon Souls that I played so I gave it a shot. At first I thought it was cheap and overly hard but I got over that and enjoyed what it was going for, but eventually I just had to admit that I just like my action games to be like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry where you have a plethora of options and attacks on offense.

In those game you might be surrounded by enemies, you're attacking one enemy, you see another is about to attack you and you can either dodge out, do some area attack, or you could launch your enemy into the air to get them out of your way to focus on the one about to attack you, or you could follow them up into the air to avoid the incoming attack, juggle them in the air, notice how clustered the ground enemies are, and decide to knock your enemy back to the ground (for splash damage), finish them up in the air, or do some attack that sends you across the screen, away from everyone to take a different approach or reasses. And all those choices might play out over the span of like 8 seconds so it feels really hectic. I really like that element of action games.

Maybe I just didn't figure it out, but going on offense in BB never really felt like you had a bunch of choices or options. The funnest thing for me was dodging someone, then starting a 3 hit combo that ends in weapon transformation, but by the end of that you're out of stamina and the craziness comes to an end. It seemed a lot more defense based, but even then it's not like crazy hectic defense it's dodge or do the gun parry which are cool, but not like "defensive Bayonetta" (if that makes any sense) where you are doing like dodge combos or some crazy thing that has all the options a DMC has for offense, but applied to defense.

When I put it down, I felt like I understood what it was going for and what the fun was for people who enjoyed it, it just wasn't for me.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Persona 5

I dig the interactions between characters for the most part, but man, that gameplay is just so clunky and boring. I put it down before beating the first castle. I tell myself I'm gonna go back to it, buuuuut...

Jan 10, 2018
Persona 5 - The pacing was all over the place and I just couldn't get out of what felt like an everlasting tutorial. I'm gonna give it another try in the future though as I like plenty of other things with the game, such as the design, music etc.

Observer - The visual design and setting was perfect but the actual gameplay left much to be wanted. I really wanted to like this game but I found it to be quite dull in the end. I think I expected an interesting crime drama with high-tech investigation rather than a surreal horror experience with almost nothing but walking.

Fortnite - I don't know if the battle royale style gameplay is for me, or if it's how these games handle it that is the problem. There just seems to be something missing and I'm not sure what exactly.

Counter-Strike - The game that has been recommended to me the most during my gamer life, yet I've never managed to get an interest for it. I just think that the visual style is a huge bore and I'm not a fan of the realistic setting combined with the rather unrealistic mechanics. I totally get why it's popular, but it's just a big "sigh" for me.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Gravity Rush 2. The look of it, the charm, everything else was just so great. But the combat, the controls not feeling as tight as they should...ugh. I felt the same way about Gravity Rush, but was able to make it through. I couldn't do that to myself again for the sequel.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wanted to like Fallout 4 and Skyrim and but they just didn't click with me. Gameplay was just plain boring and bad.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Smash. It's too boring. (Subspace Emissary is 10/10 though)

Monster Hunter.
Where the hell is that monster I need to kill? Too many weapons and too many tutorials too. (I played MH4)

Mass Effect 1. Combat is too slow. Story is too complex. I hate sci-fi.

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
I tried both Bioshock and Dead Space on two different occasions. Got about a third of the way in each time and just quit with boredom.

I don't know what it was with those games, they seemed just the sort of thing I'd like. I think it was maybe the combat and moment to moment gameplay bored me, even though the settings were cool.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I wanted to like Dark Souls and Bloodborne but neither clicked with me. I put plenty of (frustrating) hours into both but I'm cured of wanting to like those games now.

Nov 10, 2017
Houston, TX
Metal Gear Solid V - I did not enjoy the transition to open world, and the story was not clicking for me.

Prey - I loved the exploration, but found combat needlessly difficult, and the respawning enemies made me not want to explore.

Bloodborne - I heard it was more accessible than the souls games, but it was still too frustrating and difficult for my liking.

I Am Setsuna - I just found it really boring.

Final Fantasy XV - I finished this game, but my opinion gets less favorable the more I think about it.