• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
So, like many of you, for the longest time since its announcement, CP2077 was my imaginary dream game. Over the years, I even dug out numerous sourcebooks, and read through as many as I could, so I could become a real fan and well prepared when I actually play the game.

But, also like many of you, what I didn't prepare for was the feature that sat atop the list of juicy info as more information about the game was unveiled: 1st person only. Except when driving.

Fuck.

Having grown up on consoles, JRPGs, platformers, Sony, Nintendo, and Sega, Gaming for me has always been watching your avatar do things on screen. The camera to me has always been the frame, not my head. I was never into first person games, shooters or otherwise.They were not widespread in my formative years, so I ignored them even as they entered my gaming space in the PS3 gen and beyond. I've played a handful of them, but rarely to completion nor ever comfortably.

But I'm not here to add more fuel to that conversation. I have, with bitterness and resentment in my heart, accepted the game's fate to the extent I can continue on living normally. That's right. I'm already invested in this universe, and I will play the game damn it! FUCK YOU CDPR I'M GONNA ENJOY YOUR DAMN GAME. I refuse to be let down. >: ( What I'm here to discuss and request are games that would prep me well for CDPR's next epic.

I know a few of these through conversation, and even a rare couple I enjoyed. new Deus Ex, new Doom, and a couple modern walking simulators like Firewatch, Ethan Carter, and Gone Home.

So what games would you all recommend that could sell me on 1st person gaming? Games that do 1st person right, feel good and weighty (the floaty feeling and lack of body awareness is one of my biggest qualms), are story rich shooters, or RPGs? Any or a combination of the above would certainly help, retro or modern. 1st person games for people who do not like 1st person. Do not name Bethesda RPGs, I have played through them in 3rd person and I have no interest in playing them again.

(Also if CDPR you're reading this please implement a 3rd person camera if it's not too late, too hard, or too expensive ;_;)

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how many are saying it's kinda like Deus Ex, that's probably the best option as a starting point

Other than that, probably Arkane studios games, Dishonored and Prey

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
If you have a PC to play them with you'll have a better experience since some of the main issues causing motion sickness can be addressed (comparatively fewer console games offer such options). There was recent topic where people discussed some of the causes and what settings helped, which can be applied to most first-person games.

Otherwise I'll leave it to others for console game suggestions.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder if people will mod in a third party camera? i guess even if they do the player character animations might not be there for it to make sense. i'm happy to play in first person, but honestly think people should have the option.

agree with others suggestions of deus ex. also dishonored.

i wonder how the fov will hit some people, i hope CDPR are aware of how nauseous low fov can make people when playing fps.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
All these first person for Cyberpunk discussions have always been funny to me. People never complained about it in Deus Ex games.

Maybe try Deus Ex games, OP. Especially the newer ones.

Hawko

Apr 23, 2018
It boggles the mind that no one has mentioned Half-Life 2 yet.

Play Half-Life 2, OP.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want an FPS that feels weighty, you could grab a copy of Killzone 2 for PS3.

edit: i also really like the way crysis 2 feels

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like people are taking the first person camera in this game way too seriously. It's really not the end of the world, lol. But System Shock 2 or Deus Ex might be good picks?

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of journalists described this as a mix between Deus Ex and GTAV, so if you've played the new Deus Ex games then really, you're ready.

Oct 27, 2017
I've pulled DE: Mankind Divided off my backlog, and yeah, it's janky, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Plus, it's been set in daylight so far, so it's ++.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
You have about 20 years worth of fantastic first person games to play.

But for specifically Cyberpunk? I can't think of anything more appropriate than Deus Ex.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
So what games would you all recommend that could sell me on 1st person gaming? Games that do 1st person right, feel good and weighty (the floaty feeling and lack of body awareness is one of my biggest qualms), are story rich shooters, or RPGs?
You should try GTA 5 in first person. It doesn't tone down the view to a floating camera, you feel the animations of your character, every tumble. The perspective adds a lot to making you feel 'in' the world.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some non violent stuff (so they are typically slower paced and let you acclimate to the perspective):

What Remains of Edith Finch
Portal series
The Witness
The Talos Principle
Soma
Amnesia series

RPGish:
Deus Ex series
Prey
Borderlands series (2 would probably be my recommendation)
Dishonored series
Bioshock series
Kingdom Come Deliverance

Just a good game:
Dying Light
Fear
Half Life 2
Crysis (2 and 3 are not as good but still fun at times).
Far Cry series (maybe try 3)
Bulletstorm
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Resident Evil 7
Metro series
Stalker series

Though really just google immersive sim, they tend to lean toward RPGs and are possibly going to end up closest to the game (outside of maybe Bethesda RPGS) albeit on a smaller scale.

Also, good lord this must have been quite an aversion if you managed to play though Bethesda RPGs in third person. That shit is jank city.

Last edited:

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
All these first person for Cyberpunk discussions have always been funny to me. People never complained about it in Deus Ex games.

Maybe try Deus Ex games, OP. Especially the newer ones.

I think thats the problem, it's just another FPP Cyberpunk game, it's not doing something new (which would have been if it was TPP Cyberpunk Open world ) now it's just another Deus Ex, but a LOT fancier with a lot more RPG. Maybe that's unfair of me to say, it's probably gonna be way better than that, but it's still a FPP Cyberpunk game.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I think thats the problem, it's just another FPP Cyberpunk game, it's not doing something new (which would have been if it was TPP Cyberpunk Open world ) now it's just another Deus Ex, but a LOT fancier with a lot more RPG. Maybe that's unfair of me to say, it's probably gonna be way better than that, but it's still a FPP Cyberpunk game.
So being third person would be revolutionary?
Lol.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Portal 2 is probably one of the best "my first first person" games. It's designed to be super accessible, without too much handholding for players that don't need it.

The original Mirror's Edge for me is still the best game for nailing the feeling of being a person. It's a little tricky, but it's pretty fun even just practising the same areas repeatedly to try and get the best route.

Both games are playable with either mouse and keyboard, and I would recommend trying both.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i mean, the Deus Ex games (ps3/ps4) are perfect.

So try them

tumblr_oq6g8zx2ho1w8w6cyo1_500.gif

tumblr_p4cc3btHOE1qcy62fo1_500.gif

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I also would take third person games when given the choice but I had no idea a game's perspective could cause so much internal torment lol... Is it really such a big deal?

Play Deus Ex.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Prey (2017)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Portal 1 and 2
Dishonored 1 and 2
Bioshock 1
Metro 2033 and Last Light
Titanfall 2 singleplayer
Fallout: New Vegas (before you say it, it was not made by Bethesda so it doesn't count, unlike theirs this one is actually good).

There are tons of FPP games to play, many greats of all time and certainly a lot of RPGs. Give it all a try.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
This is a pretty good recommendation because of how Cyberpunk is allegedly going for a high density of characters and content in very narrow corridors. I can't think of a series that would better emphasize why first-person perspective is the soundest idea for those kind of confined spaces if Cyberpunk is doing something similar.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only difference is the setting, it'd still be using a perspective that has been done tons before.

It's still a massive paradigm shift, because it would focus on guns/ranged weapons as much if not more than melee ones. The dynamics between first and third person completely change. An RPG that feels like CoD and an RPG that feel like Uncharted are two massively different things. Consider movement, spatial awareness, use of cover - radically different games.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's still a massive paradigm shift, because it would focus on guns/ranged weapons as much if not more than melee ones. The dynamics between first and third person completely change. An RPG that feels like CoD and an RPG that feel like Uncharted are two massively different things. Consider movement, spatial awareness, use of cover - radically different games.

Different, not worse.

A good first-person perspective can work miracles on immersion. I am so happy CDPR went this route.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most surprising things about the Cyberpunk showing is all the "I hate/refuse to play/have never played first-person games" people it brought out of the woodwork. And the weird explanations for such. Console-focused? Tons of console games are first-person and have been for over two decades, particularly if you owned an N64.

Anyway, as many here have already said, play the last two Deus Ex games, they're probably the closest analog to what Cyberpunk will be, although Cyberpunk's gunplay is far more involved. Maybe try a recent Far Cry for a more action-oriented angle on things.