• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Danganronpa V3. Game already had the weakest cases out of the three games, and the ending just makes it worse.
Life is Strange. Oh so this is just like any Telltale games where all my previous choices don't matter at all.
Vanquish. Short game, and it ends in a cliff hanger. I guess I can't be to mad since the story was garbage anyway.
Fire Emblem Fates. Unless you buy the third DLC path, the endings basically say fuck you go buy the other versions to figure out what is going on with some of the character.

Kaztinka

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Knight

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Gone Home

I was somewhat enjoying it for most of the ride, exploring this creepy house. But that ending, wtf.

So not only is the house not haunted (despite strange voices and noises heard throughout the game), but the whole thing is that the sister ran off with her girlfriend? There's nothing stopping them from coming back in a week or in a month, but the game tried to portray it like the sisters would never see each other again or something.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't stand the beginning and the end of Mass Effect 2 but I adored the in-between all the way through

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW
The game was lacking meaning but I hoped the ending would be something nice. What I got was a few seconds of dialogue and not even an interesting staff roll and the extended ending wasnt much better.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Bioshock 1. The segments after Ryan's death and the ending almost undo the entire game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
RiME. Was going for an emotional gutpunch, but whiffed it and hit confusion.
Not to mention the very beginning of the game kinda half-spoiled it all.

A red cloth goes flying through the skies and all of a sudden you wake up on a beach as a kid wearing that same cloth...hmm.

Doesn't spoil things outright, but it perfectly set me up for a "yep, called it" moment at the end.

Hardhat

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Ass Creed 3. The main character was boring enough, especially compared to Ezio, but the ending? All the build up over 5 games...and that's how it ends?

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Super Mario Odyssey had a terrible ending in every way possible (game is an overhyped mess anyways). Will never replay the game.

Zelda BOTW, while a great experience, had an ending that showed how hollow it really is. I'll still replay the game though.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Bayonetta 2 is still a masterpiece, but the final boss is quite a disappointment compared to the nonstop, over-the-top rollercoaster of the rest of the game. It's tough to top the whole ending sequence of it's predecessor, but it feels like the game just ran out of steam instead of trying.

And here's a weird one. By the time I had finished Metroid: Other M, my opinion of the game was already in the gutter. Then the post-game showed up. I said to myself, "if the thing I'm supposed to find here has any fucking thing to do with Adam, I'm writing off this dogshit game forever."

And of course, it had everything to do with Stockholm daddy Adam. What a shit heap.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Fragile Dreams, though it was a bit more before the ending where things started tampering off for me.
About most things pertaining to the main plot after the dam where it goes from a story of isolation and trying to find a survivor in a lonely world to stopping a ghost scientist from killing everyone cause "Wah, nobody loved me.

Greyline108

Avenger
Nov 24, 2017
Ikaruga.

I died so many times to get that ending, and then I die again and can't respawn? Come on now!

Legaia 2 Duel Saga, as well. I just seem to recall it turning into a whole bunch of bullcrap about the power of friendship, and it ultimately soured me on the whole game.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Imagine i'm quoting everyone who posted DRv3's ending.
One and done, even if Mass Effect 3 beats it in terms of how controversial it was. (Someone reported Bioware to the Federal Trade Commission, that's how bad things got.)

I've explained countless times what's wrong with it. So i'm just going to note this person for being right on the money.
Danganronpa V3. Perhaps I'd have been more forgiving if it was a $25 indie game.

Nov 4, 2017
BotW for sure. Not that it had much story anyway, but it's ending was dull even by Zelda standards. It doesn't help that the game I played before BotW was ALBW, which has an excellent ending (possibly the best in any Zelda).

Dunno how people can say MGSV... Nobody has even seen the end of the game because it's so damn unfinished :D

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ikaruga.

I died so many times to get that ending, and then I die again and can't respawn? Come on now!

Legaia 2 Duel Saga, as well. I just seem to recall it turning into a whole bunch of bullcrap about the power of friendship, and it ultimately soured me on the whole game.

That reminds me of the Grandia 3 ending. Cool first half of a game, but then two of the best characters leave for good and the plot falls apart. The end boss is trying to destroy Love or something ridiculous. Fun battle system though.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
One and done, even if Mass Effect 3 beats it in terms of how controversial it was. (Someone reported Bioware to the Federal Trade Commission, that's how bad things got.)

I've explained countless times what's wrong with it. So i'm just going to note this person for being right on the money.

I feel like both Danganronpa 3 and V3 were just the Ultimate (heh) "whatevers" they could've taken with the series and they did just that.

At least they were still somewhat enjoyable experiences otherwise, Zero Time Dilemma was just...such a bad sendoff.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory Mass Effect 3 mention.

Do you destroy everything you've been fighting for, fulfill the villain's plot, or grossly violate every sapient being's body in the galaxy? All that's different, by the way, is the color of the explosion about to happen. So, red, blue, or green?
I thought this was going to be the first post.

Nevertheless, I agree with this. However ME is still a great series, and it still worth playing.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just going off of very recent memory, playing through Wolfenstein: The New Order last week, the game is pretty good, but it ends in a terrible, terrible boss fight and ends quite abruptly right afterwards. I honestly thought I had a few more levels to go, but instead the credits started rolling. Does the New Colossus pick up directly from the events of this game?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FFXV was disappointing because Tabata keeps pulling that stunt of putting bittersweet endings in all of his games. It's getting annoying that he puts his everything into the ending but flubs on everything else every time. It was just an eye roll for me.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Indigo Prophecy started out good, steadily got worse as the game progressed, and had a downright dreadfully done ending.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 1's ending was hot trash. Not that the story was any good to begin with, but woof.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2's final boss ruined that game and any possible sequel for me. I couldn't take any of it seriously after the Reapers' master plan turned out to be a complete farce. The thought of the trilogy possibly coming to a close with a battle against an army of oversized terminators was just too dumb for me to handle.
Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't so bad by comparison because my expectations had already hit rock bottom long before any of that happened.

The new Prey momentarily lessened my opinion of the game with an ending so brief, you'd better not blink while it's happening. Luckily, the post-credits scene delivered proper closure. Still, placing a comedic credits reel with no less than two goofy songs between the endings was a terribly misguided decision, especially after its weakest chapter.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird that you'd be bothered by TMS's ending when the game's story as a whole is pretty lackluster. The story was not what I was playing the game for at all so the ending was pretty much in-line with the rest of the game for me.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Steins;Gate.

I've ranted about this at length many times before, and I won't go into depth again unless someone specifically wishes to hear me rave, lol. Suffice to say, I feel like the the "true ending" of the game undoes a vital and incredibly poignant aspect of the "normal ending", and employs some deus ex machina to suddenly rip the game's carefully-crafted time travel logic to shreds.

Steins;Gate's true ending, which I ranted on about for months back on GAF after finishing the game.
Oh my, I have a kindred spirit on this one!

BotW for sure. Not that it had much story anyway, but it's ending was dull even by Zelda standards. It doesn't help that the game I played before BotW was ALBW, which has an excellent ending (possibly the best in any Zelda).
I thought it was fine, but I really thought it was going to turn out that
Zelda was dead, like her father and the other champions, and it was just her spirit holding Ganon at bay long enough for you to finally slay him
Which would have been a lot sadder, but more poignant, so when it was a simpler and happier ending I almost felt disappointed they didn't do that instead.

Fire Emblem Fates. Unless you buy the third DLC path, the endings basically say fuck you go buy the other versions to figure out what is going on with some of the character.
To be fair, Revelations is not very well written, lol. The gameplay makes up for it, and the overarching plot elements it spins are interesting, but storywise you could really play Birthright as a standalone game and not lose very much.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion, but for me Horizon: Zero Dawn.
After all of the fuss about Hades and Sylens trying to undo his mistake there's a needless after credits scene where Sylens retrieves Hades to further satisfy his lust for knowledge essentially undoing a large part of the what you accomplish just to set up a sequel.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright

I was already so-so on the game to begin with but that ending made me want to die

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock 1. The segments after Ryan's death and the ending almost undo the entire game.
I think it's all great until the final boss. Having to get the big daddy suit together was actually cool.

Fighting Atlas....Fontaine as a mean steroid monster man was lame. The game didn't need a "final boss' at all.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
FFVII's ending is a massive let down after such a great game, It disappoints me every time I finish it..

Oct 27, 2017
The Darkness 2.

I enjoyed up until the ending.

Huh? What game is that?

I'm sorry, but The Darkness never got a sequel
256px-Darkness_cover.jpg

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the only bad thing about Life is Strange's ending is that there is a choice there at all.

The real, bittersweet ending where Chloe sacrifices herself for everyone was powerful and stays with me to this day.

XBC2's ending was a cop-out. Speaking of Life is Strange, they did what Monolith Soft was too chicken to do.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
As others have stated, BOTW's ending was a letdown. The boss fight was kind of on par for all the boss fights in the game, but the end scene just was missing any kind of closure. I mean Link's flashbacks had more soul to them than that final ending.
I thought Zelda would be a spirit, like all the other champions, and that she'd give a final message to Link.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V

I could easily say that the non ending we got was the worst part but even breaking down other elements of the story hurt.

Each character had a terrible resolution for me. The character arcs, even the ones resolved felt like unearned revolutions.

I know that a lot of the fault of hype is my own, but I can't imagine anyone playing this game and not at least being able to recognize the flaws.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Persona 4 in so many levels:

The big revelation comes out of nowhere: there are no clues, there are no hints, there's nothing that leads you to make a rational guess about who's the real culprit, wich is pretty bad because according to Hashino, P4 was supposedly inspired by mystery novels, so it really doesn't make sense that there are no clues that allow the player to discover the big mystery by themselves, so in the end, of course you have to make a random guess. And from that point, the last part of the game sinks the rest of the game.

Of course, if you fail to randomly point out who's the one behind it all you'll get a bad ending; if not, the next sequence leaves your uncle Dojima yelling "Adachi!" in realization he's the culprit even though there's no reason he'll know how Adachi committed his crimes, because, again, there's no evidence against him. Then you fight him, turns out Adachi did it for the lulz and he has the same Persona the MC has... and if that wasn't enough...

Fast forward to March, you're about to leave the town and you receive a letter from Adachi: "I think someone made me do it, why don't you try to figure out who was actually responsible?" And you do, you meet a physical manifestation of the psyche of Inaba's inhabitants? (or something like that?) Which is actually a good idea, and it's somehow similar to P3's ending but the problem wasn't who's the real mastermind but the execution itself: Your story about trying to solve a mystery crumbles when you never discover the culprit by yourself, because at the big moment where you had to point yout finger at someone, you actually have to make a random guess...

People can shit on P3, P5 or all the other Persona games all they want, but none of them does the BS Persona 4 does.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not really.

I guess as a Game Hobbyist I am more into mechanics than story. This is not a hatred for story or gameplay is king post, I like a good story and don't like a botched ending but whether your game is 2 hours or 80 it's the playing part that keeps me going to get to the end, I honestly do not understand the mindset of that being invalidated or suddenly not being good because it ends sour.

Mind you I hate a bad ending along with everyone else and was massively dissapointed with MGSV and Mass Effect. I had been a fan of metal gear since Nintendo and Mass Effect was one of my favorite new IP's. I'll never get over the dissapointment of the endings.

However I still played the ME trilogy 4 or 5 times and MGSV for over 300 hours, 100 on FOB nonsense, a fun game and a gameplay loop I enjoy is why I am an enthusiast to begin with.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Middle of Earth Shadow of fucking Mordor.

First time I've ever thought that I was wasting my time playing a videogame, the ending was so poor that despite me buying the GOTY version of the game it killed my drive to play any of the extra content, that piece of shit got deleted off my hard drive ASAP, and killed my excitement completely for the sequel way before Shadow of War was announced to have lootboxes.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild.

I really enjoyed the plot and the memory mechanic, in part because I thought it was building up to some grand, unexpected, twist-filled ending. But it turns out that the ending doesn't capitalize on all the suspense and mystery that the rest of the plot builds.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
You think? I would say it was consistently some of the better cases in the series. DR2-5 is still the best but I think V3 is probably the strongest overall. 1 probably being the weakest of the 3
Case 3 is easily the worst case in the entire series.
Case 1 was up there for me until the ending which ruined it.
Case 4 has an idiot as the blackened. If the killer thought about it for five seconds, they could have easily gotten away with everything.
Case 5 is another case which was ruined by the ending, and it makes one of the most entertaining character's death pointless.

Danganronpa 1 I enjoyed all the cases except for the last two, and Danganronpa 2 has Case 5 which was easily the best case in the entire series. V3 has better cast than 1, but the cases man. Two of the cases wouldn't be so bad if the ending didn't screw it up. They're fine on their own.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Fable 2's ending was the most anit-climactic thing I had ever experienced in gaming. I'm not sure anything has come close.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Inside.

Felt way to cheeseball for me. Maybe I'm not intelligent enough to fully understand why the "thing" was so important or mind blowing.

Was hyped beyond belief for its crazy ending yet it just ruined the experience I had throughout the whole game.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I'm gonna have to defend Life is Strange here. The ending is basically saying that Max can't change the mistake she made losing touch with Chloe. It was building up to that choice the entire game, and foreshadowed pretty well. The point of the ending isn't which one you ultimately go with, but rather that Max's actions before the start of the game led to a Sophie's choice situation. I understand some people have criticized that Chloe's ending is much shorter, but that made sense to me since you're choosing just that person.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Mass Effect 3 used to be my answer.

But there's a PC mod to change the ending so our relationship is cool now.

Wut?! I need to know more about this.

Speaking of endings and mods, I used to "edit" movie endings to my taste when I was a kid. For example, with Masters of the Universe (1987) I stopped the VHS recording right where Skeletor had the upper hand, so that's how the movie ended for me.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Firewatch's ending was a big let down. Tainted the rest of the game for me.

I didn't like Xenoblade 2's ending either but I was already disappointed by the game to begin with.