• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Life is Strange, almost completely ruined the game for me

Came here to say this.
Completely shattered the illusion that everything you did mattered in the game. I absolutely despise when a game that tries to tell you what you do will affect your ending just gives you a linear choice at the end. Why even bother with anything in the game at that point?

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Bringing it up yet again: AssCreed 2.
Haha, oh yeah.

I remember guessing where it was going from the first glimpse of the vision, then second guessing myself because that would just be stupid.

"Okay, so there's a naked couple running about. Some kind of Adam and Eve motif going. RIghto. Except they're strangly agile, like monkeys or something. And they're in a weird futuristic environment.
"..."
"Are they going to try and crowbar some aliens-kickstarted-humanity bollocks into a revenge story about a Renaissance era Italian assassin?"
"Nah, don't be silly. It's been pretty solid up til now. They wouldn't pull something that stupid."

*game ends*
"Oh."

GalmLikePalm

Nov 29, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I feel like the ending would have been much more poignant and meaningful if they had found Pyras core at the end, rather than the whole sacrifice bit being a fake out and Pyra being 100% fine. There would have been lingering questions about whether she'd have memory or not upon rebirth (Aegis don't lose their memories, but the situation was a bit non-standard. so maybe?) Instead it made the last bit of the game feel like cheap drama to be neatly resolved one credits sequence later.

It might be a bit silly but who on god's green earth that played XBC2 didn't see a "Pyra has to sacrifice herself to save the group" plot thread happening at the end of that game? I was completely invested and it was a gut punch when it looked like they were really gone, but in the back of my head I waaaas going "Man they really did end this on a bog-standard bitter-sweet moment, huh?". Having them be completely fine, while it did sort of cheapen the proceeding drama, I felt was a left turn that I personally didn't see coming. It was incredibly sappy, but I love happy endings dammit.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Owlboy. The whole game is about friendship and sticking together and the bonds that the main character builds on his journey. But for some reason, the ending is a surprising downer and I'm still not exactly sure what happened to Otus. There's a bunch of people trying to make sense of it, and maybe they have some points, but overall I just didn't like it.

Also, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. I know that a lot of people consider this game to be a pinnacle of the adventure genre, but I simply cannot think of it as such because of the lazy ass, 4th wall breaking BS that Ron Gilbert decided to pull at the 11th hour.

Maybe it would've been explained if Ron had actually made a Monkey Island 3, but as it is now, the reveal that LeChuck is Guybrush's "brother" and they're kids playing in an amusement park really made me finish that game on a sour note.

Nov 4, 2017
I thought it was fine, but I really thought it was going to turn out that
Zelda was dead, like her father and the other champions, and it was just her spirit holding Ganon at bay long enough for you to finally slay him
Which would have been a lot sadder, but more poignant, so when it was a simpler and happier ending I almost felt disappointed they didn't do that instead.
This would have been a vastly superior ending.

Maybe there could have had a secret ending where if you find all the memories, Link choses to go with Zelda into the afterlife because he remembers he loves her.
I just don't believe anybody who gave the game a 10 actually finished it.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda. Was really loving the game up till the end. Then nothing happened and the game made it obvious that every decision was pointless. Mass Effect 3 even had a better ending somehow.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
Danganronpa V3 for reasons I can't elaborate on without huge spoilers. While I can appreciate the poignant point they made with it, it not only made my impression of that singular game worse but committed the cardinal sin of retroactively ruining the prior 2 games as well. Kinda funny that this extends to the 3rd entry in Zero Escape as well.

Nov 17, 2017
I hadn't realized that scene at the end of TMS was an extra you had to unlock. I got it in my playthrough so I guess I just did the requirements on my own.

ClintStevens

Oct 27, 2017
Danganronpa 1 was one of my favorite games of all time up until the
Junko reveal. Her voice acting was terrible and constantly switched for some reason and all the carefully crafted logic and mystery in the game was thrown out the window. Up until this point everything followed very strict logic and made sense but then the ending just felt like a bunch of anime garbage. That's just my opinion though [/spoilers]

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
This would have been a vastly superior ending.

Maybe there could have had a secret ending where if you find all the memories, Link choses to go with Zelda into the afterlife because he remembers he loves her.
I just don't believe anybody who gave the game a 10 actually finished it.

i would also have liked an ending like the ones under spoiler tags.

but i feel the Zelda fanbase can't handle that kind of ending. when was the last time a game ended like that? (and no, the Hyrule Historia stuff that shows OoT Link ended as a stalfos post MM doesn't count since he ended that game just fine)

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wolfenstein II

The game doesn't end, it simply stops. The game felt like it was gearing up for an act 3 finale, but it instead ends abruptly with little fanfare.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was the story in BoTW compelling to begin with?
I put 90 hours in it, and I never really cared about the story.

Nah. The exploration was undeniably the best part. Every time I finally went to go and do the divine beasts was where I wasn't feeling it as much. But at the end of the day, that's whatever. What matters is how it ends. And yea, def. could've been better.

I kind of want to try it again now that I have my motorcycle lol

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Story's actual post-final boss playable epilogue was a great way to close out the game, but the actual events of that final boss were a bizarrely horrible choice. It's my go-to choice in 'bad ending' threads because of it.

Bayonetta 2 is still a masterpiece, but the final boss is quite a disappointment compared to the nonstop, over-the-top rollercoaster of the rest of the game. It's tough to top the whole ending sequence of it's predecessor, but it feels like the game just ran out of steam instead of trying.

That was a disappointing anticlimax - it'd be an adequate ending otherwise, if lacking in buildup and not being a completely satisfying resolution in context; but the unavoidable comparison to the first game makes it seem completely lacking - not just the ending itself but the entire climactic stretch of the first game were done so well; even including Space Harrier, the first time.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been a problem for me for YEARS. One of the things I hate about modern (going back almost 15 years) is that games with satisfying endings are VERY far and few between. It's harder to name games with good endings than vice versa.

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Zestria ending was some garbage. You beat the final boss then you get an anime cutscene showing a time skip and no spoken dialog.
At least the anime itself gave us this at the end:

tumblr_op6gauJW141ru0b90o3_r1_500.gif

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I win a game of pubg I question whether it was worth the many previous losses to bugs, lag, and cheaters all so I can get halfway to spending 2.50 on my 3rd pair of basic gloves

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Firewatch's ending was a big let down. Tainted the rest of the game for me.

What did you dislike about it? For me it was the way Firewatch tries to feebly lampoon the most tediously mediocre tropes in fiction.

There's no reason for the plot to hint that there's some big dumb government conspiracy going on. That's just there so Firewatch can jump out from behind a rock at the end and yell "Gotcha!" at the player. "Of course there isn't a government conspiracy going on! That would be stupid."

It's not clever to notice that obviously stupid writing is bad, and it's not clever to suddenly start complaining about it in the middle of your video game, like you're every Youtube comments section from 2010 launching into your lukewarmest of "still a better love story than Twilight!!" hot takes.

See also: Gone Home

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Assassin's Creed 3. I loved everything else about the story, but for christ sake they fucked the ending up in Modern Day.

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V, I swear if it wasn't just a repeat of the beginning and actually a final mission, I'd think so much more about the game.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
I feel that endings C and D of the original NieR were a step down from A and B, but Ending E (exclusive to a novel because of course) basically restores the status quo of ending B and is clearly the canon ending leading into Automata so all's well.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
I don't even understand how there are anymore Assasins Creed games if that ending is canon

I mean, the following AC games aren't bad at all. AC4 had a great story, and AC:O had the series' best exploration. However, I too don't understand the direction they're taking with modern day, the over-arching story and the backbone of the franchise, because at this point it's becoming piss poor.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Blasphemy. Assassin's Creed 2 was the hyped ending ever for my 11 year old self. I remember screaming and freaking out over that fourth wall break.
Ih, that isn't quite a fourth wall break though. :v
Haha, oh yeah.

I remember guessing where it was going from the first glimpse of the vision, then second guessing myself because that would just be stupid.

"Okay, so there's a naked couple running about. Some kind of Adam and Eve motif going. RIghto. Except they're strangly agile, like monkeys or something. And they're in a weird futuristic environment.
"..."
"Are they going to try and crowbar some aliens-kickstarted-humanity bollocks into a revenge story about a Renaissance era Italian assassin?"
"Nah, don't be silly. It's been pretty solid up til now. They wouldn't pull something that stupid."

*game ends*
"Oh."
Exactly. I should have seem the absurdity ramping up, but noooo, I had to give them credit for it. xD

However, I too don't understand the direction they're taking with modern day, the over-arching story and the backbone of the franchise, because at this point it's becoming piss poor.
At this point? It is just a excuse to keep the franchise going.
Access memories of <insert era here>, then you have a game. Like Yahtzee said, it isn't a series anymore, it is a line graph Ubisoft keep stapling more sheets on an on.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Unpopular opinion but I disliked the ending to Prey 2016. It's a game that allows you to shape your own story as to what happens on Talos I, but in the end I felt like the handful of endings are way too samey for me. And...

The character development and subplots really kept me going and I ended up being more interested in its characters than the overarching story, so when the ending does happen I'm left wondering if those characters even existed in the first place or if it was just all AI

myco666

Oct 26, 2017
Fake Europe
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Was really enjoying my time with it but that ending. Probably the first time I actually thought "Wait. I finished it?". Felt like it was missing the actual ending to the story.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uncharted 4

Dumb fencing final boss, dumb Sam barely learned anything and was still a bad character and the perfect happy ending on the beach was corny and trite.
Maybe Persona 5 too, though TBH that game fell down in my estimations way before the finale.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Access memories of <insert era here>, then you have a game. Like Yahtzee said, it isn't a series anymore, it is a line graph Ubisoft keep stapling more sheets on an on.

It's quite sad at this point, but I don't really blame them if we're just gonna view it from a business perspective. From my point of view though as the consumer, it sucks because the writing used to be so good. :/

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Can someone explain the Mass Effect controversy to me as someone who will never play the series?
I'll give it a go, sure.

Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 did a crazy thing. Every choice you made would somehow be reflected in a lter game. Especially the bigger choices. Of note, there are a few scenes in the first game that make certain outcomes impossible to get in the third game if you mess them up. And then Mass Effect 2 had it so every single party member, including Shepard could die in the final mission. (Obviously, Shepard dying can't be transferred to ME3). And so after two games of setup. One where you defeat the Vanguard of the Reapers, one where you discover the Reapers' plan, and finally the all out war of the Reapers, expectations were pretty high.

And for most of the game Mass Effect 3 delivered. You ran into old friends, missions changed dramatically depending on what you did in the previous games. There's a whole part here getting the good ending requires several things to happen in ME2, and generally Mass Effect 3 was fantastic... up until the "Priority: Earth" mission. In which you fight zombies in mid-apocalyptic London, because that's clearly what you'd want to end on in a space opera. But still while kind of meh, it would not be enough to ruin the game.

But the part after London... You make a mad dash for a teleporter to get to the final area, where you take a bad hit from a cannon the size of an aircraft carrier, but you get to the Citadel, burned, but alive. You talk the bad guy into suicide, or rudely interrupt the conversation with a gunshot. And then... the Star Child ruins everything. You rise on a floating platform to meet a glowing child who tells you that you win, but you have to choose how you win. Depending on how much you played multiplayer and what you managed to pull off in this game, you get the following options:
  1. Destroy the Reapers (This will also destroy any and all AIs in the entire galaxy, so the whole making peace with an AI race you pulled off earlier? Nope!)
  2. Control the Reapers (Placing yourself as God-Emperor of the galaxy, but you have to die to do it.)
  3. Synthesis (Rewrite the DNA of every creature in the galaxy, and their hats, to make everyone partly synthetic and organic. Which is a gross violation of everyone's right to their own bodies and basically what the Reaper Star Child wants you to do.)
Note that none of these endings are affected by anything but the points you have scored in Mass Effect 3. And that can be done entirely in multiplayer. No actions in the previous games affect it, no specific actions in the current game affects it, and the big difference is the color of the explosion when you blow up/dominate the Reapers.

And no, I am not kidding, these are ALL the endings of the original Mass Effect 3:

There was a free update released later that added a fourth ending, though: Shoot the Star Child. The Reapers win.

Oh, and the final shot of the entire Mass Effect Trilogy? It's a text box reminding you to buy DLC. You know, just in case you were expecting anything great.

The entire trilogy is basically ruined by what happens in the last 30 minutes of the final game. Nothing you did matters. Not a single choice you made affects the ending.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Last of Us. I don't care what people say about artistic intent or the character progression. I did not like the ending and it hurt my enjoyment of the game. It made me never want to play the story again. I still stuck with multiplayer though.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but for me Horizon: Zero Dawn.
After all of the fuss about Hades and Sylens trying to undo his mistake there's a needless after credits scene where Sylens retrieves Hades to further satisfy his lust for knowledge essentially undoing a large part of the what you accomplish just to set up a sequel.

I really disliked his to. I would've preferred the first game in a series to wrap its story up in a bow and then introduce a new angle for a follow up, not set it up so that the sequel just continues the first game.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The very last scene of firewatch was the one time i felt like i was choosing prompts and then the resulting dialogue wasnt close to what i thought the prompt meant at all. I spent the whole time trying and failing to salvage an awkward conversation i didnt want or intended and the tone of the conversation didnt feel true to the way henry and delilah interacted in the rest of my playthrough. it felt like i was trapped watching someone elses ending and the experience put a damper on a game i otherwise liked

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Ih, that isn't quite a fourth wall break though. :v

Exactly. I should have seem the absurdity ramping up, but noooo, I had to give them credit for it. xD

She states directly into the screen. That's a fourth wall break by addressing the camera.

VaeVictis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The bad ending of The Witcher 3 infuriated me after how much time I put into it.

This SO much. It put a permanent taint on Witcher 3 for me. Already had both DLCs when I started Witcher 3 and only half a year later did I get to them. Was still in a foul mood. Luckily, Blood & Wine marginally improved the experience for me. But Witcher 3 Bad Ending remains one of my most hated gaming moments in my life.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
The ending retroactively made me hate that game even more.

I was playing it coop with someone and the final boss was just appalling.

Yeah I was so disappointed in the ending I didn't buy 2 or the other one until semi recently for $20 to play with friends coming op.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
She states directly into the screen. That's a fourth wall break by addressing the camera.
Nah, breaking the fourth wall would be adressing the "outside", she never does that. It is all contained within that universe still.

I"ll accept the argument if you want to make it about a overall theme something like "animus=videogames", making it all Inception-like, and by adressing Desmond she is addressing the player character by proxy and all that jazz, but that wouldn't change a bit. In fact, it makes me dislike it even more.