• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bioshock Infinite's ending actually undermined all 3 games in the series.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Wolf 2 TNC.

I was already dissapointed with the game and I expected it can't get any wrose.... can it?

What the fuck is that garbage ass ending. I regret spending 60$ on this stinker so much just because I don't buy terrible games often.

Huh? What game is that?

I'm sorry, but The Darkness never got a sequel
256px-Darkness_cover.jpg

The one that doesn't have terrible gameplay and some of the worst levels in a FPS game.

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing it up yet again: AssCreed 2

Soured noT only the game, but the whole franchise for me.

(Dis)Honorable mention: Borderlands.
All that build up to bugger all, coupled with a sequel with even worse writing.

I don't get this choice. The climax had one of the most non-sensical but appropriate final boss fights in all of gaming. Just thinking about
getting into a fistfight with the pope
is hysterical. Plus the ending was the high point of the lore for the entire series, and blew the franchise wide open.

The ending to Assassin's Creed 3, however...

Nov 17, 2017
BotW's ending was pretty underwhelming. I don't know if it lessened my opinion of it though? At that point I had spent over 100 hours enjoying the hell out of non-story related things. A really great ending probably would have elevated my opinion some but I don't think it was enough to make me feel like the journey wasn't as good as it could have been.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Can we bring up sequels that lessen the impact of previous endings just for fun? because Wind Waker was done dirty by Spirit Tracks
We apparently finally move on past Hyrule by creating....New Hyrule which is an incredibly boilerplate world map to boot, for shaaaaaaame.
See also Persona 4's grand farewell of teary goodbyes being undone with "it's been a month but I'm back to visit and awww shit it's ARENA time" complete with character flanderisation.

Otherwise sticking with the thread more directly, chalk me up for another mention of Danagnronpa 1 and its carnival of stupid.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild for me. Something so magical and enticing did not deserve such a subpar ending (both from a story and final boss perspective).

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this choice. The climax had one of the most non-sensical but appropriate final boss fights in all of gaming. Just thinking about
getting into a fistfight with the pope
is hysterical. Plus the ending was the high point of the lore for the entire series, and blew the franchise wide open.

The ending to Assassin's Creed 3, however...

Among other things, the tonal shift just put me off.
It is all developing around some mystery and then BAM, absurdity ramps up to 11 and they go "HAH, videogames, aren't they cool?"

Then it goes nowhere. Had the story wrapped around I'll be ok, but then it became a brand.

Assassin's Creed is essentially that, a game about videogames. You assume a role of someone in any given setting/era (like the animus and memories), under the guise of any excuse for a story so gameplay can move forward and Ubisoft can make sweet dollars.
Of course, there is great artistry involved, no questions, my beef is where does it start, is the art first or the product?
Speaking for my experiences with the series, I'll say the later. What grabbed my attention at first was the story but at the end of AC2 I've felt that it was thrown out the window.

I would like to get into it again, n fact I've tried before, but the magic was completely broken. I can't do it.

I guess you could say, AC2 ending for me was a true "Game Over".

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bioshock Infinite's ending confirmed my suspicions that Irrational wasn't concerned with anything but striking visuals.

Minkus__

Jan 17, 2018
Serenity
Came here to say this.
Completely shattered the illusion that everything you did mattered in the game. I absolutely despise when a game that tries to tell you what you do will affect your ending just gives you a linear choice at the end. Why even bother with anything in the game at that point?
I gotta disagree. For me, that's the point.
Max has all this power and regardless of it she can't make everything right. She has to decide whether to let an entire town be destroyed just to save her old best friend. There's no good outcome. Melancholic ending to a melancholic game.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Inside.
I was like... that's it ? Why ? When ? Where ? Then ?
So dissapointed to play the entire game to get answers and get *nothing*.
Except a big rolling ball of mess from a mountain... and credits

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite both have this issue, although it's more of a "whole third act goes off the rails" type of scenario.

Also, Walking Dead season 2.

Kenny becoming an irredeemable asshole for no reason was the worst

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
After the original DanganRonpa's gigantic turd of an ending I decided I didn't want anything to do with the franchise for the rest of my days, but after this thread I just have to google / wiki this V3 ending everyone keeps mentioning. :D

Fake edit: Actually, that sounds infinitely better than the first game's ending, but I don't doubt it to be much worse in actual execution than its summary suggests.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
FF 8's time compression-orphanage-garbage really put a damper on the entire game.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa V3's ending is probably my favorite and most hype part of the entire series.

BotW has a terrible end imo. The castle is pretty good, but everything to do with the final boss fell suuuuper flat.

Having just finished Arkham Asylum for the first time, I'm going to say that as well. In a game of meh bosses, they absolutely made the final boss still the least interesting of the game.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ending of TMS had the opera of light sequence, man! That was the best part!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I feel like the ending would have been much more poignant and meaningful if they had found Pyras core at the end, rather than the whole sacrifice bit being a fake out and Pyra being 100% fine. There would have been lingering questions about whether she'd have memory or not upon rebirth (Aegis don't lose their memories, but the situation was a bit non-standard. so maybe?) Instead it made the last bit of the game feel like cheap drama to be neatly resolved one credits sequence later.

Yeah, I agree with this. The game peaked in chapter 7 and 8 anyway, which was a bit of a shame.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
So many games, including many of the best from last year. Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil 7, Prey...all awesome, but then the last few hours I had with each game were easily the worst few hours, and each had a very underwhelming ending. Edith Finch also had a sucky ending after an otherwise tremendous experience.

Other great games with weak closing stretches/conclusions: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Bioshock, Resident Evil 4, The Evil Within, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Twilight Princess.

Came here to say this.
Completely shattered the illusion that everything you did mattered in the game. I absolutely despise when a game that tries to tell you what you do will affect your ending just gives you a linear choice at the end. Why even bother with anything in the game at that point?
I agree with this completely.

I still love the game and my time spent with it, but having the ending boil down to a binary choice was such a lazy cop-out.

I chose to sacrifice the town, and I'm actually glad I made that choice even though it clearly felt like the "lesser" ending of the two. I watched the other ending on YouTube and thought it was lame that Max could do nothing more than hide and let Chloe be killed. Couldn't she, like, do something to help without using her rewind? Couldn't she have sacrificed her own life in the act of saving Chloe? I probably would have been more infuriated if that was the ending I picked. As it was, the ending I went with felt weak but I didn't hate it either.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last hour of Final Fantasy Type 0 took the game from mediocre to insulting. Random apocalypse followed by an unlosable final boss fight. Then gives you the option of a new-game plus telling you that by playing again there will be new cutscenes added that provide context to the story, because you know, it just makes sense to hide story context behind a new-game plus.

Absolutely soured me.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly the ending per say, but the direction the plot took on the final chapters of Final Fantasy Tactics really hurt the game, even tho it's still a fantastic game i have replayed countless times for gameplay alone.

Basically the first 2/3 of the game, you're playing this high fantasy political intrigue adventure between two warring factions fighting for the throne with a corrupt church pulling some strings in the shadows to seize power for themselves.

But in the final third of the game that political intrigue plot gets tossed to the side while your party gets involved in a cliche "millennial evil reborn" plot while the political plot gets solved without further involvement of your party, sure you saved the world from super demon "not jesus" monster, but you literally, LITERALLY, become a footnote to history while the plot you were actually invested in gets resolved by other people.

Yes, i get it, the story at large was supposed to be the Saga of Delita, but the whole point was that Ramza was a huge part of it, but in the end the whole thing disconnects; i also understand that the point was to make the church be the villians, but fuck, before demons and shit were involved, the church was already the villian! why not just keep it 100% political intrigue fantasy?

Oct 28, 2017
Steins;Gate's true ending, which I ranted on about for months back on GAF after finishing the game.

I quite liked Persona 5's ending.
WHAT?!

The ending of Steins Gate is, hands down, the greatest and most satisfying conclusion I have ever experienced in a video game. The journey getting there and then the payoff was sublime storytelling. To the point where honestly there was absolutely no need for a follow up.

Now in that that vein, I vote for Steins Gate 0. When the game just....ended. I just felt like I'd wasted my time. It was an enjoyable experience but in the end I just couldn't help but shake the feeling that the game didn't need to be made and the story never really justified itself if that makes sense. As I said I enjoyed my time with it but when it was over I just wondered what the point was. It was a story without a good payoff and one that didn't need to be told.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
Skyrim.
Boy was I pissed. I was just there, looking at this dragon fly away, waiting for the new main quest to pop up.
When I realized it was over I was like "that's it?". That is the most anticlimatic ending I've ever seen.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Zero Time Dilemma's ending really lowered my opinion of the Zero Escape series when taken as a whole. 999 on its own is still utterly fantastic though.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I won't go into it, but Prey (2017) has the dumbest, smarmiest ending meta-twist, the twist's whole schtick is vapid and overdone and betrays most of everything that made its story interesting in the first place. Really soured me on the game.

Dragon Age Inquisition was pretty bad for this too.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Mass Effect 3 went from a disappointingly bad but still competent end to the Mass Effect series but I was hoping Shepherd would die in a cool way at least.

Then Magic Space kid sprayed liquid shit all over my face.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
I tried to think of examples, but that's just not really a thing for me. A game is journey, a few seconds of cutscene don't erase all the fun I had along the way. For example, Planescape Torment had a HORRIBLE ending cinema. So did System Shock 2. Even the devs of these games admit that. But that doesn't mean they aren't some of the best of all time.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Final Fantasy XV. I adored the first half, was soured by the second half, and then the ending topped the whole story off as awful to me.

Remember Luna? That girl we totally ignored and refused to create a personality for? Who only existed so Noctis would have a loyal lady friend to suit his princely self? Cool, because even though she died just so Noctis could keep his quest going (what other use could we possibly give her in this story?) she's still around after death to sit at the king's throne like the good little personality-free subservient lady she was always destined to be! Yay for king Noct!

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
After the original DanganRonpa's gigantic turd of an ending I decided I didn't want anything to do with the franchise for the rest of my days, but after this thread I just have to google / wiki this V3 ending everyone keeps mentioning. :D

Fake edit: Actually, that sounds infinitely better than the first game's ending, but I don't doubt it to be much worse in actual execution than its summary suggests.

Yeah, the ending has the potential to be good but the execution isn't great.

Aside from being overly drawn out and repetitive, the biggest problem with the execution is that it's confusing to player whether the characters in the game are acknowledging that they are indeed characters in a video game, or if they're simply realizing that they're actors in a game show (it's the latter). There's even a prompt where you have to admit that the characters in the game are fictional, despite the fact that they're still supposed to be real people in-universe. What they mean is that the characters' personalities which were imposed on them are "fictional" rather than their existence being fictional , but it's not really clear.

It also doesn't help that the game doesn't fully commit to the ending, purposely giving the player reason to believe that the villain lied about what they revealed but not specifying to what degree they may or may not have lied. Maybe the point was to be confusing, I dunno.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I usually don't hold an ending against a game.

Can't think of one where I thought...the whole experience was ruined! (Yup, including Mass Effect)

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ys Memories of Celceta

The world is at the brink of dissapearing, but thanks to the great Adol Christin this doesn't happen. Oh, and those fuckers that helped you in your journey? they are fine somewhere I guess but who cares?, you are riding into the sunset with one hot girl that I guess was a love interest of yours

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Ys Memories of Celceta

The world is at the brink of dissapearing, but thanks to the great Adol Christin this doesn't happen. Oh, and those fuckers that helped you in your journey? they are fine somewhere I guess but who cares?, you are riding into the sunset with one hot girl that I guess was a love interest of yours

Adol Christian is the world's worst heart-breaker. Constantly wooing the ladies and then just up and leaving them.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Fucking Witcher 3 - after trudging through 80 hours of it including that whole section with the loathsome Dandelion - i got the worst ending (apparently i didn't give Ciri enough freedom and, I had no interest in trying to date any of the women in that game so didn't try and it turns out that wasn't the right thing to do

I nearly hurled my PS4 out the window

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Adol Christian is the world's worst heart-breaker. Constantly wooing the ladies and then just up and leaving them.

My issue with this particular love interest is that she never feels like someone who is into Adol, and not even a good friend, she is just... there.

I can't even remember her name

LemonLime

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The ending of Dangan Ronpa V3's first chapter fucked me up so bad that I dropped the game entirely

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Games with open endings (and mostly hanging ones) that don't have a real closure and wish make you wait for an obvious sequel like with TV series episodes. That sounds very cheap. You can have a really closed ending that gives no hints to a sequel yet we get sequels or prequels afterwards like with MGS games.

Last edited:

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Super Mario Odyssey

I was cringing so hard at Mario's proposal fail and Peach subsequently almost ditching him. And after all that effort. Mario's the ultimate beta.

If anyone has a different interpretation please let me know.

Edit: Someone should make a "Games where their ending improved your opinion of it?" thread, I'd be interested in your answers.

Last edited:

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Super Mario Odyssey

I was cringing so hard at Mario's proposal fail and Peach subsequently almost ditching him. And after all that effort. Mario's the ultimate beta.

If anyone has a different interpretation please let me know.

Edit: Someone should make a "Games where their ending improved your opinion of it?" thread, I'd be interested in your answers.

I mean it's not like
she's obligated to date him. That did not bother me at all. And she's busy being a fucking awesome explorer, so there's that as well.

Also, beta?! What the fuck, dude?!

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Didn't love Mass effect 3 before the ending but boy did that ending torpedo it to rock-bottom. Another is Life is strange. 4 great episodes and the last one was shit. Didn't help either that the ending i picked/preferred felt very underwhelming.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Gone Home

I was somewhat enjoying it for most of the ride, exploring this creepy house. But that ending, wtf.

So not only is the house not haunted (despite strange voices and noises heard throughout the game), but the whole thing is that the sister ran off with her girlfriend? There's nothing stopping them from coming back in a week or in a month, but the game tried to portray it like the sisters would never see each other again or something.

I mean, that's sort of the point of the game. It makes you think its a haunted house story, and then swerves. I loved how I was prepared to get scared, and then ended up with a totally different emotional response. But I get how that could also be frustrating. I think it was done that way to get people to open up to a story that they normally might not be interested in.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Life is Strange, almost completely ruined the game for me

+1 for me. I was a huge advocate for the game up until the last chapter and especially the ending. Neither Ending in particular is particularly good, but what makes it worse is how obvious they were and the overall implications of both of them towards the game as a whole. Made everything feel really pointless and, since I didn't even like a particular character, it wasn't even a hard choice. The game pretty much killed my interest in Adventure/Visual Novel style games and Episodic games as a whole, because part of my disdain came from the fact that there was such a long period of time and not very engaging gameplay building up to the ending. The payoff wasn't worth the mental investment.

Last edited:

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
WHAT?!

The ending of Steins Gate is, hands down, the greatest and most satisfying conclusion I have ever experienced in a video game. The journey getting there and then the payoff was sublime storytelling. To the point where honestly there was absolutely no need for a follow up.
I don't think the ending of Steins;Gate is bad, but I prefer the bittersweetness of the ending right before the true one. As someone who hates happy endings though, Steins did earn it.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
This SO much. It put a permanent taint on Witcher 3 for me. Already had both DLCs when I started Witcher 3 and only half a year later did I get to them. Was still in a foul mood. Luckily, Blood & Wine marginally improved the experience for me. But Witcher 3 Bad Ending remains one of my most hated gaming moments in my life.

I think the worst part was finding out which choices actually dictate getting the bad ending. Out of all the choices you make in the game it came down to 3 or 4 random choices that at no point give you any indication of the long term effects of picking them.

Oct 28, 2017
Assassin's Creed: Origins. It's a poorly paced mess that seems like it's about to cut to credits multiple times in the last half hour or so, but can't stop dragging on.

You avenged your kid in a terrible boss fight and had quite possibly the biggest eyeroll in the series with the symbol reveal. But, we can't stop until you endure another boat section just so we can get to the "Et tu, Brute?" moment. Give me a break.

I don't think a phrase has ever made me intensely dislike a character more than "poets of the kill".