• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I've always loved the combo system in the Mass Effect games. For me, it makes the gameplay more dynamic and interesting. Are there any non-BioWare games that feature combos involving more than one player?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If you mean the biotic and tech combos, Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2 are entire games designed around the idea of environmental / ability-based interactions.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Does Mass Effect even have a combo system? I thought each power is mostly independent. Andromeda does have some combos with special effects/damage when you use the right sequence of powers but not sure about the original trilogy.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Does Mass Effect even have a combo system? I thought each power is mostly independent. Andromeda does have some combos with special effects/damage when you use the right sequence of powers but not sure about the original trilogy.

It was introduced in 2. The first one doesn't really have it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Of course it does, the best part of mass effect was priming enemies for large AOE explosions detonated by yourself or team mates.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Just remembered, Dragon Age: Origins had something similar to Mass Effect. Freezing an enemy then shattering them to instant kill, etc, IIRC. Some of them are really cool.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
You know it's been a long time since you played a game that you can't even remember the basics. I can't recall combos in 2/3 at all.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
You know it's been a long time since you played a game that you can't even remember the basics. I can't recall combos in 2/3 at all.

The combos in Mass Effect 2 was basically Warp+Detonator ability to the mix., IIRC Mass Effect 3 expanded more on the power combo system where you can have combos with different effects.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem had a version of the prime->detonate system but like everything else in the game it was weak and half-baked. ME3 was still the best.

Much like active reloading I'm surprised people haven't copied it.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
In Control you combine your powers in diverse ways: create a concrete shield to protect yourself from enemy fire, float in the air to get closer and finally throw the shield against it. Most encounters play around this idea of mixing up skills, though it's only a single player, unless you use certain skill.

Last edited:

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Dragon Age 2 and 3. IMHO, moreso 2 than 3. You kinda break DA2 with their combos while in 3 they streamlined the system I didn't feel it was that fun.

Oct 25, 2017
The combos in Mass Effect 2 was basically Warp+Detonator ability to the mix., IIRC Mass Effect 3 expanded more on the power combo system where you can have combos with different effects.

The combo system of ME3 really shined in its multiplayer. When MP was announced, everyone was cynical that it was just a dumb add-on to the game, but it ended up being the best part (also because of that dumb ending).

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Phantasy Star IV and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years had combination attacks with several members of the party participating.

Phantasy Star 4's are a little different in that combinations of spells will create totally new spells, whereas Mass Effect/Dragon Age's system is more of a 'setup with spell A, then trigger with spell B'.

Both are cool.

OP
OP
wollywinka

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
The combo system of ME3 really shined in its multiplayer. When MP was announced, everyone was cynical that it was just a dumb add-on to the game, but it ended up being the best part (also because of that dumb ending).
Couldn't agree more. I was original highly sceptical, but I ended up playing ME3's multiplayer way more than the campaigns of all three games combined, and I played them a lot.

I'll have to pick up a copy for my Switch. I've heard good things about it.

As I'm on console, it looks like my options for a current-gen, non-BioWare game with a combo system are fairly limited. I tried DOS2 but didn't get along with the turn-based combat. Hopefully, BioWare will return to the ME franchise, providing it survives long enough to do so. After Anthem, I suspect it's Last Chance Saloon for the company.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It boggles my mind that Mass Effect 3, out of nowhere, is still is the best horde MP shooter I played to this day. Missed opportunity to not launch some stand alone F2P based on it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It boggles my mind that Mass Effect 3, out of nowhere, is still is the best horde MP shooter I played to this day. Missed opportunity to not launch some stand alone F2P based on it.
The year that came out was the same year Modern Warfare 3 came out. That game sucked and I thought I would have no MP fix that year.

That was my favorite time in the whole series. Tons of free DLC, tons of new characters and weapons, tons of new and fun abilities. The. Like 9 months into it, they give it a face lift and added the collectors.

Never forget
W/G/G
Fire base White/Geth/Gold difficulty

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

For sure! I spent countless hours playing the Multiplayer, community events, challenges you could pursue to get sweet profile banners, a lot of characters to pick from which you then could spec to your liking. I had so much fun playing that.

But even Andromeda's Multiplayer didn't match that of ME3's.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I wasn't aware of any combos in Overwatch or Diablo 3.

Overwatch doesn't have combos in the sense you meant in the OP. There are abilities that naturally are best used together for maximum effect, but there isn't a "system" in place with primers/detonators leading to increased damage/additional AOE explosions.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Outside of ME and DA nothing has really created that same feeling of satisfaction for me when it comes to combos. Personally the party based RTwP aspect is rather critical to it for me. TB games lack the same punch, while pure RT games often feel a lot more limited and narrow in what you can do. Plus no other games really have that same kind of primer/detonator system explicitly in place like BioWare has.

I'm really hoping they do them right again DA4. DAI was a bit disappointing in that aspect coming off of DA2 and ME3 which were both fantastic at it. Enemies were so spongy in DAI that any combo barely felt like it made a dent and really diminished their apparent importance and appeal.

OP
OP
wollywinka

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I dunno if exactly fits but Astral Chain?
I'm playing Astral Chain at the moment. While I'm enjoying it, it doesn't have the kind of combo system I'm after, unfortunately.

Haven't played ME2, but maybe Chrono Trigger? TV Tropes may be worth a look: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CombinationAttack
From the description, that is most definitely what I would call a combo system. Sadly, I don't have anything I can play it on.

But even Andromeda's Multiplayer didn't match that of ME3's.
I was really excited about Andromeda's multiplayer until I played it. It was so bland. There was none of the tension of ME3's MP and the enemies units were flawed and uninspired. Everything seemed to be a bullet sponge.

The beauty of ME3's multiplayer was the surprising depth to the class variants. They revealed their true power over time. One such example being the Volus Vanguard that I laughed at initially and ended up using for my Platinum Solo. Good times.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not more than one player, but Quantum Break's time power combat reminded me a lot of ME3. There's a combo where you trap them in a time freeze bubble and then shoot it up, which then explodes in a few seconds. Reminded me of biotic explosions. Very satisfying to pull off too.