• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 17, 2017
My first thread here so hopefully I do this right...

A leitmotif in music is a short musical phrase that is repeated throughout a musical composition. So basically, like a short music sting, theme or jingle associated with a character, setting or concept. It may be it's own track in an OST but you will definitely hear it or part of it show up in other tracks of a soundtrack. An easy example from movies is the Imperial March from Star Wars.

So what are some games that do this particularly well?

My mind goes to Final Fantasy XII's main theme - not to be confused with the Final Fantasy theme but the theme you hear during the opening cinematic of the game. The short, 11 note melody that plays here at 50 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/zQ7YS6MQl2M?t=51s

That little melody sneaks its way into a lot of tracks in the OST and sort of represents the theme of the heroes or a theme of hope. An alternate version of that melody is molded into the main melody of the Dalmasca Estersand which is the first field map you visit in the game. You even hear it in a jingle:

You really become familiar with that little piece of music as it pops up throughout your adventure. It's a huge payoff when you get to the final boss and hear a big triumphant version of it halfway through the track (starts at 4:24)

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
A lot of the Final Fantasy games do this

VI, IX, X, XII, XIII, XV

Mario games also do this

World, 64, Galaxy 2, 3D World

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest's main theme is used in a lot of interesting ways throughout the game

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Undertale does this a lot.

I am not sure I can post examples of it without spoiling parts of the game, though.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I gush about this damn game way too much, but Breath of Fire III is the standout example for me.

The main leitmotif can first be heard in the title theme, Opening the Gate

And it pops up throughout the game at various key points. Such as an arrangement of it serving as the theme of Black Ship dungeon, it's mixed into the theme of the final battle of the Child arc of the game, it's one of the game's many cutscene themes, and the main theme of the game proper plays at a late game town with a bunch of plot revelations accompanying it.

play bofiii yall

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm grasping this correctly, I will say Max Payne 3. I just beat it last night and they constantly find ways to sneak the main theme in there. Even to the point of
Max trying, and failing, to play it when he comes across a piano. UNTIL, that is, he quits drinking and decided that he can't give up on life. Damn that game!

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Undertale has like 100 songs on its soundtrack and all of them are based on 4 or 5 themes

I was going to reply to this by telling you that you were just slightly exaggerating but then I read this:

Undertale has incredible use of Leitmotifs.

Here's a really good blog post on it. If you want to take the time to read it's a really interesting read and pretty fun too to hear the different songs and how they connect.

http://jasonyu.me/undertale-part-1/
http://jasonyu.me/undertale-part-2/

And... wow. I'd say that I'm usually good at spotting leitmotifs but I had no idea just how many Undertale tracks shared similar melodies. This just elevates what was already one of my favourite game soundtracks even further.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Monster Hunter World does this a lot.
The main theme, village them and Arena theme are all different versions of the same song.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale wouldn't be half the game it is without its leitmotifs. They're that important.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I remember Tales of the Abyss doing this. Several of it's tracks are variations (piano, acoustic, etc) of the Opening theme: Karma. I think other Tales does the same, but the one I remember the most is Abyss.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us is amazing for this

When the "Sarah" theme is used as Ellie and Joel's relationship develops... Amazing

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I gush about this damn game way too much, but Breath of Fire III is the standout example for me.

The main leitmotif can first be heard in the title theme, Opening the Gate

And it pops up throughout the game at various key points. Such as an arrangement of it serving as the theme of Black Ship dungeon, it's mixed into the theme of the final battle of the Child arc of the game, it's one of the game's many cutscene themes, and the main theme of the game proper plays at a late game town with a bunch of plot revelations accompanying it.

play bofiii yall
oh come on

now i want to drop everything i'm doing and play breath of fire 3
what a nostalgia hit

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Both Kirby Planet Robobot and Mother 3 use the theme of their main antagonist, The Noble Haltmann and Porky's theme respectively, in a lot of the soundtrack as a means to showcase their influence through industrialization.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Awakening did it well. Fates also had a leitmotif, but I think they overused it.

In case of Awakening, we have Id, the Avatar theme. It represents Robin's journey, from when he/she was found by Chrom and Lissa with a tranquil piece and ending with a triumphant reprise in Id Purpose.

Lost in Thoughts all Alone is also a good piece but basically most of the soundtrack in Fates is a reprise from this song. And unlike Undertale, it gets old fast. At least it was used well on End of All.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale does it a lot, yes.

Zelda games tend to do it a lot too. Twilight Princess in particular has a certain underlying tune that it weaves into a lot of its tracks.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon has it in some of it's music it's that sound the car salmonoid makes when you stun it in salmon run makes but i am sure that sound is in Splatoon 1 aswell in the calamari inkantation song and the dj octavio theme or one of the other squid sister songs.

It's also the same sounds when you complete a story mode level sometimes in both games.

I guess it's that franchises zelda secret like reorcurring small theme. It's in the final boss of splatoon 2 music aswell.

Tum tum
Tum tum tum or something like that.
I can't find it on youtube lol.

It's certainly a small jingle i will try to find it in one of the songs and edit my post if i do.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem Echoes does this as well. It introduced an all-new leitmotif and managed to weave it into the score as if it were there along.

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
Would Luftrausers count as this? That game didn't have a linear narrative in the same way as most of the games mentioned here, but it did some amazing things around changing up its music.

Oct 27, 2017
Most every song in Super Mario World is a rearrangement of the same theme. Da, da, da da Da da da, da Da da da, da DA da...

And here's the underwater song. Same theme but rearranged...

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
MĂ©xico
Persona, Undertale and Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates are the first that come to mind.
Kingdom Hearts kinda-sorta does this with some themes like Roxas' too

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

This is played multiple times in TW3's expansion Hearts of Stone and one time in Blood and Wine.

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017
Dragon's dogma has the main theme featured in a lot of it's tracks starting with main theme, into character creator theme, combat theme, and credits theme (maybe more I'm not done the game yet and haven't listened to the whole ost)

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
So many games have this (some more noticeably than others) that it would almost be a better idea to create a thread about the games that don't. There's a TV Tropes page listing some but it's far from everything: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Leitmotif/VideoGames
RPGs especially use leitmotifs a lot. The first thing that popped into my head was the Kingdom Hearts series with parts of Kairi's theme and Dearly Beloved coming back in later entries for other characters and even in boss battle themes, but that's listed on the TV Tropes page. Another example would be the Suikoden series with part of the main theme popping up in various tracks throughout the series. And that's just one of the many leitmotifs in that series. Lost Odyssey and The Last Story also use leitmotifs extensively. Then you have The Elder Scrolls, which I think is a great example where a few leitmotifs are used throughout the exploration and battle tracks, but only a small amount is really noticeable, like the main theme and this: Silt Sunrise (Morrowind) - Through the Valleys (Oblivion) - The Jerall Mountains (Skyrim) (though those are more remixes rather than a leiitmotif).
And that's just RPGs. Rayman 2 is a platformer and it has a really simple leitmotif that comes back in various themes throughout the soundtrack.

There are too many games that do this really well to list really.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Came to also post SMW, game basically has just one song for stages remixed for different environments.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach's soundtracks both pretty much revolve around two or three repeated themes, with only the former getting it right, in my opinion.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Explorers of Sky had two of them that showed up in some form in every situation related to them.

Everything related to the Explorers' Guild

Everything related to the Time Gear

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger reuses its main theme melody several times:

"Chrono Trigger" (that's the main theme)
"Memories of Green (slower, quieter version for the overworld)
"Determination" (a small excerpt before the final battle to pump you up)
"World Revolution" (this is literally a musical duel between the game's main theme and the final boss' main theme)
To Far Away Times" (ending theme, featuring a reprise of "Memories of Green" for maximum nostalgia)

OP
OP
Nov 17, 2017

Such a great example. I was considering using this as my example - I didn't realize there was a video that just laid it all out like that. I always called it Link's theme.

Twilight Princess also does a similar thing with Midna's theme. You hear it a lot. Even the little sound she makes when she pops out from your shadow is the first few notes of her theme.

The boss defeated music uses it:

And this popular track is the Hyrule Field theme with Midna's theme peeking in between phrases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBRdekWKxI