• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Del-Vey

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Age: Inquisition. Magnificent main theme, but all other compositions use the same keynote. By the end of the game OST tired me.

OP
OP
Nov 17, 2017
Fire Emblem Awakening did it well. Fates also had a leitmotif, but I think they overused it.

In case of Awakening, we have Id, the Avatar theme. It represents Robin's journey, from when he/she was found by Chrom and Lissa with a tranquil piece and ending with a triumphant reprise in Id Purpose.
Awakening also has another leitmotif that I guess is meant to be Emmeryn's? It plays during "Don't Speak Her Name" most prominently but you hear it all over the place. It's the first melody you hear when starting up the game and seeing the pre-start menu cinematic - even coming in before the main Fire Emblem theme.

Such a great example. I was considering using this as my example - I didn't realize there was a video that just laid it all out like that. I always called it Link's theme.

Twilight Princess also does a similar thing with Midna's theme. You hear it a lot. Even the little sound she makes when she pops out from your shadow is the first few notes of her theme.

The boss defeated music uses it:

And this popular track is the Hyrule Field theme with Midna's theme peeking in between phrases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBRdekWKxI

Ocarina of Time does this too but it uses several themes instead of just the one in Twilight Princess. Wind Waker as well. I'll explore all this in my Zelda musical anthology thread.

Awakening also has another leitmotif that I guess is meant to be Emmeryn's? It plays during "Don't Speak Her Name" most prominently but you hear it all over the place. It's the first melody you hear when starting up the game and seeing the pre-start menu cinematic - even coming in before
I think it was Awakening that has two melodies/phrases where one or the other, or both, show up in most songs. And both show up no matter if Morishita or Kondoh composed the track. At first I thought one or both were signing their pieces but that's not the case. I'll have to.listen through this again to confirm. Fates uses leitmotif as well.

Last edited:

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
OP, when I read your Topic Title, I immediately thought of FFXII. Nice call with that one. Someone mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics too, and I agree. Both are by Hitoshi Sakimoto, and both feature leitmotifs used well (maybe FFXII a bit more), so it's an interesting contrast to Sakimoto's other big title, Vagrant Story, in that it doesn't use a leitmotif.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Assassin's Creed: Ezio's Family

Even though it was made for AC2, it turned into the theme of the entire series because of how amazing it turned out. Jesper Kyd is amazing.

Throughout the games you'll hear that tune being played in the midst of a track, most noticeable in the Origins soundtrack. It's great.

The most recent iteration:

OP
OP
Nov 17, 2017
Ocarina of Time does this too but it uses several themes instead of just the one in Twilight Princess. Wind Waker as well. I'll explore all this in my Zelda musical anthology thread.
Twilight Princess kind of uses two different leitmotifs from the Hyrule Field theme a lot and of course, Midna's theme.

In OoT I can only think of Zelda and Ganondorf's themes. Maybe I'm missing something though. Wind Waker has the Earth and Wind God's lyrics that show up in the opening, in the game when you use them and the credits. Also Aryll's theme pops up a few times.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
No game in history uses leitmotifs better than Undertale.

It runs the same few themes through nearly every song in the game. Toby Fox not only weaves motifs through varying genre, style, mood, and context, he also (and this blew my mind) significantly slows down some of them to the point where they're not even overtly distinguishable as a motif. You don't even recognize you're listening to a familiar theme at 12% the original tempo, only that this seemingly new song feels emotionally significant in ways you can't quite put your finger on.

The themes of Undertale plant their roots in your subconscious from the moment you boot up the game. You might not recognize what you're listening to is a motif until hours later when you've heard it in half a dozen other contexts. Every new song that borrows a theme is made more powerful by its every preceding instance. So by the last third of the game, even the new songs feel lived in. Powerful. Evocative.

This is especially effective in a game with as singular a thesis as Undertale. Every element of that game is reinforcing the idea that nothing is disposable. Every memory, every experience, every action, every choice, every life. Nothing is without impact. Ours on others, others on us.

The motifs weave their way through the score like veins in a shared body, carrying, like blood, the weight of their history and context to every new piece.

I genuinely believe Toby Fox's composition is genius. Powerful, varied, and unrivaled in its use of motif. The synergy of the score with the themes and intent of the game demonstrates a harmony only truly inspired auteur projects like this could ever hope to accomplish.

EDIT:

tl;dr:

Undertale wouldn't be half the game it is without its leitmotifs. They're that important.

Basically all there is to it.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
So some people are confusing a leitmotif with a recurring theme. A leitmotif is a bit more than just a recurring theme - it's a theme that reoccurs in connection with a specific character, theme, or other element throughout a work. The clearest example would be a short melody that plays every time a certain character shows up, even if he or she shows up during an unrelated song or scene.

Undertale seems to be the best example posted so far.

In OoT I can only think of Zelda and Ganondorf's themes. Maybe I'm missing something though.
You're right about Zelda's theme - which is the most recurring theme in that game. Ganondorf's theme moreso in Wind Waker. But it's strange that you don't have to pay attention to leitmotif in terms of characters in OoT but more so in terms of physical location. Particularly the first six ocarina songs, the location of the theme in which they're based, and there is often another jingle or fanfare based off of said song as well.

Majora's Mask uses this sort of technique, as well as the traditional leitmotif technique with "Majora's Theme" which shows up all over the score.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing Lunar or Lunar 2 complete listed at all is a little disappointing. The games tell a lot of their story via music, and the fact that many of the songs are based around their main theme really reinforces it.

Damn I REALLY want to replay Lunar 2 now.... god damn them all for there being no good rerelease of either complete series games.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
How in the living hell is Mass Effect not the first reply to this thread? Probably the most effective use of the technique in its generation.

OP
OP
Nov 17, 2017
Another game I wanted to mention was Gravity Rush with the theme of the rival/antagonist character Raven.

There's two versions of this theme in the first game and in the sequel, a heroic version of the theme can be heard in two tracks associated with the character when she's now your ally.

https://youtu.be/iX_DXeBXoxw?t=36s

The two games have a few leitmotifs, Discovery of Gravitation from the opening of the first game is eventually made part of the plot in the second game in an amazing way.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale uses leitmotif masterfully.

Also, nearly every song (or at least, every level theme) in the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast contains part of the main theme/vocal theme "You're My Hero."