• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was playing Just Cause 3 on my PC over the weekend, albeit briefly - game keeps crashing on me. I had a blast from what I did manage to play though, and I think that's 100% due to the wingsuit. Such a joy to be able to gain momentum from pretty much anywhere with the hookshot/parachute, and then zip around in the wingsuit until you crash into a cliff.

Back in the day I think it was San Andreas that had jetpacks? I remember flying around the city with an uzi and having the best time. I may have been using cheats though to gain infinite ammo and jet fuel. Can't remember for sure.

Post some games where just getting around in the game is fun enough!

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild. Being able to glide, climb, and slide everywhere is great.

Nier doesn't have the greatest map, but I appreciate how fast 2B is. Also has a hover jump and slides around the sand dunes

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X duh

latest

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Prototype had a very odd control scheme. But once you got it down, sprinting up buildings, gliding through the air, and surfing on pedestrians was such a breeze. And a blast, to boot.

Oct 27, 2017
I like how in Xenoblade Chronicles X you were basically a machine and could run as long as you wanted at insane speeds, jump insane distances, take no damage from falling regardless of the height (which made exploring awesome) and that was before you got yours Skell which allowed you to move even quicker AND fly

Flarin

Oct 28, 2017
Gravity Rush (Remastered). I could fly, slide and jump around that world for hours collecting gems and not get bored. They really found fun ways to use those mechanics. Sadly, Gravity Rush 2 got way more story-heavy and wasn't quite as good.

Flinthook is also quite fun. 2D sidescroller where you use a...well...flinthook to fling yourself around the levels. You can also slow down time which makes it even cooler.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sunset Overdrive. Too bad the combat isn't as fun as the traversal and the story is terrible. Getting around that world and grabbing those collectibles is the best part.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Dying Light. With each leveling up of your agility you get a new perk making traversing the zombie horde infested world more fun and streamlined. In the expansion you get a buggy and it's a blast. Buggies in games are my jam.

Levitation in Morrowind.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
ReCore immediately springs to mind.

Dash-boost, jump, jump, dash-boost.

Some wonderful, fun traversal in that game. Loads of areas in the open maps built around platforming 'puzzles' to reach collectibles, and some brilliant dungeons dedicated to mastering traversal in a challenging but addictive way.

Edit: Infamous: Second Son and Sunset Overdrive are both really good to fantastic as well.

And Titanfall 2!

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loved traversal in Batman Arkham Knight, gliding around, jumping directly into combat or into the batmobile was so fluid and flawless.

https://gfycat.com/TemptingFrayedBassethound

Also, movement in Titanfall 2 and Warframe need to be studied and placed into every game which wants to act like a modern exo suit shooter. I'm looking at you Call of Duty.

Last edited:

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Breath of the Wild. Being able to glide, climb, and slide everywhere is great.

Nier doesn't have the greatest map, but I appreciate how fast 2B is. Also has a hover jump and slides around the sand dunes

Damn, first reply took both my immediate answers.

While absolutely not open world, I found something incredibly satisfying about the movement in Doom 2016. The speed at which you can run, jump, shoot, and tear was just so fast and pleasant. You never really feel like the environment is slowing you down or getting in your way.

Another recent non-open world (well most people might argue anyway) example for me is Mario Odyssey. The way Mario handles in that game is top notch and I really hope Nintendo keeps similar movement mechanics in future 3D Mario titles.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
No games feel as good to just control the character and move and jump around as the Mario games to me :o)

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Xenoblade Chronicles X duh

latest

Yep, one of the best world maps I've played on (and games I've ever played).

My only change would have been to bend the upper left and right regions round about so that there was less ocean space, or perhaps have two or three miniature islands in the ocean.

What a game though.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is super fun. Chaining different wall runs, rail grinding, bounces, etc. felt amazing.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
w62ni6j.gif

sBBN10u.gif

I don't think anything will ever beat Gravity Rush 2 for me in this regard.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, flowmotion letting you to places you couldn't before did wonders for exploration.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another one for Prototype. Wall jump up a scraper and cut through the sky with triple dash and triple glide.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing A.O.T. 2 - Attack on Titan 2 - right now and the traversal is really cool! Kinda like Spider-Man 2.

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Portal. The walking sections in the second game turned me off. But the first is pretty open in how you approach a problem and move through space.

Zora swimming in Majora's Mask. Rolling around as a Goron is also pretty fun, but jumping out of the water was just so much fun. Only played the N64 version, I heard the remake botched the zora controls?

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Spiderman 2 for ps2/og xbox
Phew, I was worried I was going to be the first.

No other game has been as satisfying to zip around in. Web of Shadows came close, but Spider-Man 2 has not been topped. It requires effort and concentration to get around efficiently, and is extremely rewarding because of it.

I'm hoping the Insomniac game has good swinging, but I'm not getting too excited since I know it needs to be accessible.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Arkham Knight's traversal was super fun and Shadow of War's was quite good as well. The parkour in Titanfall 2 and Mirror's Edge, however, is just sheer bliss. I have yet to play ME Catalyst because I had open world fatigue, but I'll definitely try it out soon to scratch that parkour itch.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna mention anything new or shocking. I'd say Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles X are the pinnacle of this for me.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Assassin's creed is one of them for me.
Maybe not the one, but still the early titles (2 and Unity most of all) were good fun.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Just Cause 3 on my PC over the weekend, albeit briefly - game keeps crashing on me. I had a blast from what I did manage to play though, and I think that's 100% due to the wingsuit. Such a joy to be able to gain momentum from pretty much anywhere with the hookshot/parachute, and then zip around in the wingsuit until you crash into a cliff.

Back in the day I think it was San Andreas that had jetpacks? I remember flying around the city with an uzi and having the best time. I may have been using cheats though to gain infinite ammo and jet fuel. Can't remember for sure.

Post some games where just getting around in the game is fun enough!
BoTW, Crackdown and Titanfall 2

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Arkane is great at this, the Dishonored games in particular. High jumping, sprinting, mantling, sliding, teleporting, swimming just feel perfect. No one does FPS camera movement like they do.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Lots of games with cool traversal mentioned already (BotW, Sunset Overdrive, Saints Row, Just Cause, Dishonored), but one that's still missing for me is...Skate. I just love skating through the world without any actual goal in mind, pulling off a trick here and there, exploring a little...it just FEELS amazing.

Similar story with Steep, where I spent more time aimlessly carving downhill than doing actual challenges. Pure Zen.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Driving in any Mafia game with sim physics on.

Feels like people only talk about on-foot traversal when discussing it in games.

Deleted member 11002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moving through the environment in Sundered was really fast and fluid once you get a few upgrades. I recently beat it, so it's fresh in my mind

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Phew, I was worried I was going to be the first.

No other game has been as satisfying to zip around in. Web of Shadows came close, but Spider-Man 2 has not been topped. It requires effort and concentration to get around efficiently, and is extremely rewarding because of it.

I'm hoping the Insomniac game has good swinging, but I'm not getting too excited since I know it needs to be accessible.

Believe me, i was on it. Noticed no one mentioned it and was disappointed. Yes to this day, and it shocks me, no other spiderman game has come close with the swinging mechanics. Hell I would of been ok with a carbon copy of them for the next games. As you mentioned, I really hope they use that mechanic in the upcoming ps4 spiderman.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry 4 to an extent (walking, running, vehicles, gliders, parachute, chopper and even an elephant).
Batman (walking, running, bat mobile, gliding and the zipline thing).

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
BotW, Super Mario Odyssey, Celeste, Mark of the Ninja, Vanquish, Bayonetta (Panther mode), Arkham games...