• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
913754_16x9_2UP_Points_01-4665e661aa162a97f396.jpg

Kick off the new year with two great January Games with Gold! On Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, adventure through light and shadow in Iris Fall, and then set worlds in motion in Autonauts.

• Iris Fall ($19.99 ERP): Available January 1 to 31
  • Autonauts ($19.99 ERP): Available January 16 to February 15

news.xbox.com

New Games with Gold for January 2023 - Xbox Wire

Kick off the new year with two great January Games with Gold! On Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, adventure through light and shadow in Iris Fall, and then set worlds in motion in Autonauts. Xbox Live Gold members will have exclusive access to these games for a limited time as part of Games with […]

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Is this serious

Not trying to shit on the games, they might be good. Just the sub doesn't make sense to me.

Seraphs

Banned
Sep 22, 2022
microsoft need to shut this down and use its budget to get more games to gamepass. no point having the 2 offering

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Iris Fall has actually been lingering around my Steam wishlist for ages so I'll download that one.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Feels like this is the strategy now.

Several months in a row of games nobody cares about then when then do shut this down less people notice and less complaints.

I'm to the point where I don't even bother to check anymore. Basically when they stopped including the 360 games.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Hey, I don't own either of them, so I'll take it (and I did nearly buy Autonauts before).

But yeah, it's nowhere near PS Plus Essential levels.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I imagine they'll kill this whenever the inevitable merger of Gold and Game Pass occurs.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
New Year would have been a great time to can this. I wonder if they're under some legal obligation to put out games as long as Gold exista

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this isn't a terrible month. Iris Fall is decent enough, and Autonauts at least sounds interesting.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, y'all missing out.

Autonauts is an amazing production-line sim using scratch programing chains.

Charming af to boot.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting about these. I don't have an Xbox Series and my Xbone hasn't been used in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages but I have Game Pass Ultimate because of the gold upgrade and I use GP a bunch on my PC and the cloud stuff. It's a real hassle trying to claim these, at least on PC. Like I get stuck in a loop where it's trying to get me to subscribe to gold, but I'm on gold, and showing me games but never just taking me to the store unless I directly link to it or search so I just keep forgetting. Not a huge loss for me considering I barely boot up the Xbone but still, would be nice if they were easier to claim via the PC Xbox app or more worth it (there have been some 360 games in the past that I think were worth it?).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There is a lot of blank space on that graphic that could be taken up with, I don't know, BC games maybe?

Gold is pretty much only worthwhile at all now because it can be used to do The Gold Trick

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft has been making so many smart moves that it makes this stick out so much more. I don't even bother anymore. Just shut it down, focus on Game Pass.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Didnt they try to duble the price few years ago?

Im scared to think how much GP ll cost with games from AB, bethesda games, future publishers they buy.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
913754_16x9_2UP_Points_01-4665e661aa162a97f396.jpg

news.xbox.com

New Games with Gold for January 2023 - Xbox Wire

Kick off the new year with two great January Games with Gold! On Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, adventure through light and shadow in Iris Fall, and then set worlds in motion in Autonauts. Xbox Live Gold members will have exclusive access to these games for a limited time as part of Games with […]

Never heard of either before, so here's some reviews:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB_kT6VimoU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHaTqcd-PQg

Joo

May 25, 2018
Why don't just remove GWG?
Because they can't remove the lowest tier of paying for online as many don't want to pay for anything else, and they definitely can't remove the monthly games completely.

They should just somehow turn Gold into a new lowest game pass tier for the same price, where you have limited access to GP in some way with the online play included. Then you wouldn't get to keep the monthly games but I'd say it would still be better.

Other much easier option would be just to simply offer better monthly games, as for quite a long time PS+ essential monthly games have been light years better and it's basically the exact same service.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't just remove GWG?
Just shut down this program, jesus christ.
I really don't get this argument.

Microsoft clearly isn't going to drop the multiplayer paywall on console, so why remove the only value that is attached to Xbox LIVE Gold?

This is what Sony is offering for its base subscription:

View: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1608138319052808192

We should be asking for more, not for less. The Xbox One was released 9 years ago. It's not like they are short of available games like with Xbox 360.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like this is the strategy now.

Several months in a row of games nobody cares about then when then do shut this down less people notice and less complaints.

I'm to the point where I don't even bother to check anymore. Basically when they stopped including the 360 games.
And what's been the consensus around gaming communities?

To shut it down cuz GP too good, rather than boost GWG with better offerings, even if they are repeats because people miss things.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get this argument.

Microsoft clearly isn't going to drop the multiplayer paywall on console, so why remove the only value that is attached to Xbox LIVE Gold?

This is what Sony is offering for its base subscription:

View: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1608138319052808192

We should be asking for more, not for less. The Xbox One was released 9 years ago. It's not like they are short of available games like with Xbox 360.

Yup.

It continues to baffle me how willing people are ready to throw away games to keep/play without fear of being removed from a subscription service.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
lol what a list of games GWG have had this year. Should be added to that fail of the year thread's list by default

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, these could be genuinely good games that everyone is shitting on just because they're not getting the newest CoD for free or whatever. But on the other hand, surely one of these games could have been paired with something that people might genuinely want (like yeah, Jedi Fallen Order). Hell, there's a bunch of cool games on Game Pass right now; maybe make one of them a GwG offering, instead, like at the tail end of its time on GP?

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Autonauts makes this a good month for me. The developer, Denki, made some great games back on the GBA, so I'm excited to try one of their newer games.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Because they can't remove the lowest tier of paying for online as many don't want to pay for anything else, and they definitely can't remove the monthly games completely.

They should just somehow turn Gold into a new lowest game pass tier for the same price, where you have limited access to GP in some way with the online play included. Then you wouldn't get to keep the monthly games but I'd say it would still be better.

Other much easier option would be just to simply offer better monthly games, as for quite a long time PS+ essential monthly games have been light years better and it's basically the exact same service.

I'll say it again : turn Xbox Live Gold into an Xbox Cloud Gaming (+MP) sub where you can only access your library of owned games (including the past XBL games you got)