• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It had quite a run, it would be cool if they started including Series X|S games instead (at least 1), but I don't see that happening either, GWG is usually a miss.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I thought they had no possible way to make GWG even worse
i was wrong

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
So this suggests that Games with Gold is sticking around, but the offerings are just going to get even worst...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Since getting my series S I've claimed every gwg game because why not, thus far the selection of 360s has been a bust for me, but it's cool that I "own" them.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't shock me if they are simply out of BC 360 games that haven't already been put on the service that the publisher is ok with having on it. They REALLY have been scraping at this barrel for years

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
The 360 games tended to be the only stuff left in GwG that I've been happy with. Wonder if they'll make it 4 Xbone+ games, or keep it at 2 in the gradual decline/death of Xbox Live Gold

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Lol they reached their limit of giving out poor 360 games because Microsoft is being too cheap to pay for any bigger titles. There are so many 360 games that have never been on GWG but Microsoft just doesn't want to pay any bigger publishers for them. They only care about Game Pass at this point.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
And here I thought them adding that last batch of OG/360 BC games was their way of extending the offerings

Oh well

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
"reached the limit"? what limit?
Contractually. That's the thing with digital media (and I'm a fan). You need to constantly renegotiate stuff. It's why licensed games are such a pain to re-release.

MS probably felt the time spent on dealing with those contract not worth it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Knew this was coming sooner or later. I'm honestly more surprised it lasted this long.
You could just kinda tell the 360 offerings were starting to run thin as they've hit a lot of the library throughout the start of the offerings.

I'm more curious now if they'll offer 3 XB1 titles a month (Like the basic PS+) or will just drop to 2 titles and leave it at that (as a way to further entice gamepass). It's not like the XB1 GWG offerings have been all that strong (Typically it was always the 360 offerings carrying the weight for interesting offerings)

"reached the limit"? what limit?

The limit of publishers willing to put the games on GWG for the price Xbox is offering.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Contractually. That's the thing with digital media (and I'm a fan). You need to constantly renegotiate stuff. It's why licensed games are such a pain to re-release.

MS probably felt the time spent on dealing with those contract not worth it.

I wonder if the advent of quality BC has made the license holders realise there is probably a benefit to selling their older titles rather than giving them away, or shifting them on for a nominal flat fee.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
That's kinda lame. Still enjoy some of those 360 freebies.

I guess they're going to include an extra Xb1 game or perhaps lower the price of Gold to account for it.

šŸ˜

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Well hopefully they go out with a bang in the last 2-3 months they have left of games..... (they won't)

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
I think it's more that they've ran out of companies who'll agree to put their games there. Rather than some other limit.
There is plenty of companies that would put their games on there but Microsoft isn't going to bother paying bigger publishers to do it. We got 360 games on GWG from bigger pubs at one point but once Game Pass came out that stopped because Microsoft stopped caring about the service. This is on Microsoft, not other companies.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Well I got King of Fighters XIII with it a few months after getting UGP so I feel like everything is a step down since.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I hope this means we get four Xbox One titles now instead of two...right??? šŸ˜… Man I missed AC Syndicate when it game to GWG. That, Metal Gear Rising and Lords of Shadow were the bangers I wanted back :(

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is plenty of companies that would put their games on there but Microsoft isn't going to bother paying bigger publishers to do it. We got 360 games on GWG from bigger pubs at one point but once Game Pass came out that stopped because Microsoft stopped caring about the service. This is on Microsoft, not other companies.
You literally have no idea if that's the case or not. LOL

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
GWG is on life support at this point - I guess they need to keep it from a value perspective but I can't remember the last time I saw a monthly slate of games and thought "oh, that looks nice", outside of the odd surprise gem.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
perhaps lower the price of Gold to account for it.
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
You literally have no idea if that's the case or not. LOL
So you think bigger publishers just stopped wanting to put their games on GWG after Game Pass became a thing? Nah the dip in quality of GWG tells you all you need to know that this is on Microsoft not other companies. They don't want to spend any significant money on GWG when they can spend it on Game Pass instead. Not hard to put 2 and 2 together

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The last Games With Gold they should have 100's of titles for people to get what they need before its too late.

Never going to happen though lol

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you think bigger publishers just stopped wanting to put their games on GWG after Game Pass became a thing? Nah the dip in quality of GWG tells you all you need to know that this is on Microsoft not other companies. They don't want to spend any significant money on GWG when they can spend it on Game Pass instead. Not hard to put 2 and 2 together
Ok, so it's just a guess based on no substantial evidence but a feeling you have. LOL

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think the best-case scenario is 3 XB1 titles.

They'll likely keep parity with PS+ base content-wise but I doubt we see much in the way of "big" GWG months

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Never thought they'd actually reach a limit to how many titles they could add, but it does make sense. Hard limit of 695 backwards compatible games, minus 51 (according to Wikipedia) disc only BC games is 644, and then you have to look at the publishers unwilling to give anything away

Sucks, but it is what it is I guess

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Maybe they will have more gwg xb1 titles or higher quality stuff by dropping 360 games (which are claim for life titles)

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Lame. I only want the own forever 360 games every month, I really don't care about the other games with gamepass usually having much better games to play anyway.

I only game I play online on Xbox is FH5 and I probably should just play on Steam anyway and save some money when I've played everything that interests me on gamepass.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Does this include OG Xbox games too? Well I guess I can hope they go out on a bang, this kinda kills gwg for me

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
So let's follow through on this hypothesis.

Game Pass launched on June 1, 2017.

So you're saying it started becoming a joke 5 years ago?
Perhaps not right away as they had to gain some subscribers first but yes the quality of GWG dropped dramatically after Microsoft started finding success with Game Pass. There is a reason why people have been saying they should just scrap GWG every month for years now. Why would Microsoft spend money securing bigger name games for GWG when they could do it for Game Pass instead. Pretty obvious here.