• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017

EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-size_restricted.gif

First game I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
In terms of open world games : Sleeping Dogs. It's one of the few open world games where I was constantly interested in playing the next story mission instead of just dicking around in the world. There was a nice progression, the missions were varied and the game doesn't overstay its welcome.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
As far as JRPGs go (I believe pacing is probably the most important aspect of the genre), Tales of Symphonia is pretty damn great. Xenoblade Chronicles would also be perfect, although I think the Mechonis parts drag a little bit.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying RE4 is a liar. The island is mostly bad and the castle loses steam after the water room. It's still an amazing game though. It just didn't need to be as long as it is.

The more recent RE2 remake is an actual example of good pacing.

Oct 25, 2017
Journey
All versions of RE2
Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
Ace Combat 5
Metal Gear Solid 1
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Titanfall 2

Basically to me the peak of pacing is games that have those perfect chill moments that lead into intense moments but they don't do it enough to tire you out or to make the game lose its thrill. It's enough to keep the gameplay mixed up and keep you engaged while feeling like the game ends because it was the logical ending. Sometimes I feel like I get more value out of a 8 hours experience than a 120 hour experience.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say any open-world game that doesn't funnel you properly actually has really bad pacing. I played BotW for 150 hours and only finished 3 Guardians before I stopped playing. Same as Metal Gear Solid 5, I sunk in 150 hours (again) and only managed to finish Act 1 before stopping. The act of giving you freedom is in itself counter-intuitive to being properly paced. I don't think the argument that "it is well paced because you set the pace yourself" flies here because these games encourage you to over-indulge in meandering behavior.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Disagree with the mentions of Portal 2 and Uncharted 2. The mid section in Portal 2 is a little too long and on your first playthrough you're especially eager to just get out of there and find out what's happening up above.

And in Uncharted 2, the monastery section drags out too long with many samey fights with bullet sponges.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While you could argue parts of the island chapter drag a bit at points, Resident Evil 4 is still the best-paced game ever made.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say any open-world game that doesn't funnel you properly actually has really bad pacing. I played BotW for 150 hours and only finished 3 Guardians before I stopped playing. Same as Metal Gear Solid 5, I sunk in 150 hours (again) and only managed to finish Act 1 before stopping. The act of giving you freedom is in itself counter-intuitive to being properly paced. I don't think the argument that "it is well paced because you set the pace yourself" flies here because these games encourage you to over-indulge in meandering behavior.
Having beaten BotW in 75 hours, you definitely made a choice not to follow the clear outline.

With that said, it's weird game to name as an example. It doesn't have bad pacing, but I wouldn't describe it as moves along quickly.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having beaten BotW in 75 hours, you definitely made a choice not to follow the clear outline.

With that said, it's weird game to name as an example. It doesn't have bad pacing, but I wouldn't describe it as moves along quickly.
I'm saying having that choice in itself is the discounting factor. Perfectly paced games like Portal 1 sets the pace for you (unless you're really bad at puzzles).

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's been mentioned probably a dozen+ times in this thread, but Uncharted 2 is among the most well-paced pieces of entertainment I've ever experienced.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Sekiro definitely.

Leaves me wanting more in the end but in a very good way. Played maybe 5 pmaythroughs so far because of it.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant imagine a well paced game, like watching most of the games you guys keep posting have some sort of backtracking or extended plot to keep the game alive.

I would go for Journey

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
The World Ends With You has really good pacing especially in the world of 100+ hour long JRPGs.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly - and people are going to blast me for this - buttttttt...

Okami

Yes it's long. Yes, you fight a boss 3 times. But honestly I felt like they were still throwing mechanically unique ideas at me right up to the end, there was still a lot to do, it didn't feel like that much grinding (helped that it was fairly easy), and I never felt like I was doing too much of one thing *or* like they had yet to utilize some interpretation of the mechanics. Also Orochi is a great boss, so...

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree with the mentions of Portal 2 and Uncharted 2. The mid section in Portal 2 is a little too long and on your first playthrough you're especially eager to just get out of there and find out what's happening up above.

And in Uncharted 2, the monastery section drags out too long with many samey fights with bullet sponges.

The game needs this middle part. Otherwise that what happened "above" wouldn't feel so drastic. And the player needs time to build at least some postive connection to Glados.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 3 is a great example of this, largly thanks to the game being a pretty typical 3 act structure, each act ending in a Vergil bossfight.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly - and people are going to blast me for this - buttttttt...

Okami

Yes it's long. Yes, you fight a boss 3 times. But honestly I felt like they were still throwing mechanically unique ideas at me right up to the end, there was still a lot to do, it didn't feel like that much grinding (helped that it was fairly easy), and I never felt like I was doing too much of one thing *or* like they had yet to utilize some interpretation of the mechanics. Also Orochi is a great boss, so...
I'm probably the only person on the planet that will agree with you but i totally do.

Okami is the best 'trilogy that the devs firgot to actually make into seperate games' I've ever played