• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Good level progression has rhytm, it has pace.
I am jonesing for it right now, ERA. The ding. The swoosh. Picking a new skill. Opening up new possibilities.
It can't be too grindy, no, grinding is cheating, it is overloading you with dopamines for the first few levels and then starving your brain.
Level reward have to be meaningful, it needs to open up gameplay, it can't just make you stronger, it also needs to change you, to guide you either into specialization or diversification.
Good level progression allows you, at the same time, to build upon what is already there while changing what you can do.

A sharpshooter in XCOM 2 doesn't just become a better shaprshooter with each level. It becomes a sharpshooter that can work around its own limitations. A high level sharpshooter can make multiple actions in a turn and accumulate free shots so its lack of mobility matters less. It becomes the unit that ends low health enemies injuried by the other teammates, it gains new function.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, would be near-perfect, if only level progression weren't so broken and wrong all the time. But if only the rhytm was there, if only the pace weren't a nightmare, the skill tree allows for so much

But what do you think? Gimme some games, old or new, that level up just right.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Man, first thing that jumped to mind was Super Mario 64 before I read the OP.

I'm not a huge fan of RPGs where your answers will probably lie, and as such would only recommend games like Pokemon where beyond the dopamine rush my intrisic relationship with my creatures increases with levels, but I will say Vanquish has a cool in-game gun leveling system that I appreciate has no menus involved. You get better abilities as you play, and have to earn them again when you die.

I also think Ratchet and Clank games have really satisfying gun progession as well since you can feel it in the gameplay.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I read the headline and immediately thought of Crackdown 3.

Collecting the green orbs in combination with the nice visual particle effect as well as the iconic sound is pure satisfaction.

Same for getting kills and those sweet little colored orbs flying towards your character, filling your skill bar, getting higher levels.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Crackdown. That little animation you get after getting so many kills or agility orbs is great, and you know you just a whole lot more powerful.

edit: Klobrille knows what's up.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Etrian Odyssey Nexus right now and I think that series is great, since each level you get a single skill point which you can use to customize your characters. Skill choices are essential and you will never have enough to get every skill you want (Even under the absolute best conditions I don't think it's possible to max out an entire class's skill tree, let alone the stuff you can get with a subclass) and greatly shape how your team will play

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Soulsborne games and WoW. Going back to previous areas and completely demolishing mobs is glorious.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Man, first thing that jumped to mind was Super Mario 64 before I read the OP.

I'm not a huge fan of RPGs where your answers will probably lie, and as such would only recommend games like Pokemon where beyond the dopamine rush my intrisic relationship with my creatures increases with levels, but I will say Vanquish has a cool in-game gun leveling system that I appreciate has no menus involved. You get better abilities as you play, and have to earn them again when you die.

I also think Ratchet and Clank games have really satisfying gun progession as well since you can feel it in the gameplay.

Wow I wouldn't have even thought to include R&C in a thread like this, but it absolutely belongs. Your skills and playstyle changed by every new gadget and toy you picked up and leveled up. So good.

For me it's the Elder Scrolls series, though I know they can get a tad grindy depending on what you do. But the series' broken-ness is always what makes it fun. Finding a way to break the sneak skill by camping out in a hut with people covered in shrouds or breaking the acrobat skill by rapidly jumping up every hillside and set of stairs you saw. Made it feel like you were owning the game and making it your own. And leveling never really took long. It always felt like you were constantly rewarded with the sound of progression. By the end you had a one-shotting, dual-sword wielding bamf, or an invisible archer pinging away at the world like a god. So good

Dec 6, 2017
US
Souls games. I love the sound and the feeling of empowerment you get from even the slightest increase in stats.

"Maybe this'll grant me that extra sliver of health to not die!"

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fromlikes are satisfying for some reason I can't place. Perhaps it's the relief of knowing that the souls/echoes you collected are being spent.

MEGrika

Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 is always giving you new skills or runes to have fun with while leveling on top of item drops boosting specific specs you can switch to on the fly as you get them. Not being hard locked into any specific build just makes leveling a treat.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019

Collecting the green orbs in combination with the nice visual particle effect as well as the iconic sound is pure satisfaction.

Same for getting kills and those sweet little colored orbs flying towards your character, filling your skill bar, getting higher levels.
Honestly can't tell if serious or troll.

I'm going to say Chrono Trigger. Discovering the combo techs was pretty satisfying.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo 3 is always giving you new skills or runes to have fun with while leveling on top of item drops boosting specific specs you can switch to on the fly as you get them. Not being hard locked into any specific build just makes leveling a treat.

I'm currently trying to enjoy Diablo 3 for the 2nd time. (Now on Switch). I think the leveling itself isn't very exciting for me. I'm only a level 30 monk (?) though. Any newbie recommendations?

On topic: A lot of games makes goong up in level a big deal. My favorite way is in the Suikoden games. Take a level 1 with a group of level 50 and take out a high level random encounter... Feels great to see those level ups :)

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
-Dead Rising 1 comes to mind. It feels really satisfying with the added items. Also the semi randomization of the moves and skills your acquire makes things fresh as well if you happen to play a new game again.

-Fallout 4 and Skyrim kinda go without saying. Always feels good to decide what new perk I wanna get when i level up.

Last edited:

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019

I'm going to say Chrono Trigger. Discovering the combo techs was pretty satisfying.
What? Someone liking Crackdown? How could it be /s

Regardless of whether you do or don't like it Klob is right, having the orbs flying at your character as you mow down swarms of enemies or vehicles and the resulting explosion when your character levels up a skill is super satisfying.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
While the gameplay isn't the best, I felt this way about the KOTOR games, throughout 2 and after becoming a Jedi in 1. It always felt like you were getting new force powers or abilities to play with every level. I think the max level was only 20 in Kotor1 and reaching that was hard because there weren't really places to grind, as a result, each level felt like a good bump up.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
World of Warcraft 1 to 60 is still great, with no boosting or power leveling.

It feels like an actual, epic adventure when you play it quest-to-quest and zone-to-zone. And playing it solo is much more enjoyable than playing it with other players.

I feel the community ruins the game with their impatience and fast-forward like mentality.

It's one of the reasons I wish Blizzard would finally make an Epic Open World Singleplayer game, along the lines of Skyrim and Witcher 3.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leveling up and collecting new equipment in Breath of Fire games is usually very satisfying and doesn't really take much grinding, save for some of the way higher levels I guess.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Level reward have to be meaningful, it needs to open up gameplay, it can't just make you stronger, it also needs to change you, to guide you either into specialization or diversification.
Good level progression allows you, at the same time, to build upon what is already there while changing what you can do.

I agree with all of this except the "needs" part. One example of a series with excellent leveling mechanics despite being just straight-up power increases is the classic Ys games. They are structured such that when you get to a new area you'll be struggling Souls-style against seemingly insurmountable odds, frantically throwing out every tool in your kit trying to keep your head above water, and by the time you leave the area an hour later you'll be obliterating everything in your path with the slightest effort. The net effect is that the usual power progression from underpowered to overpowered that usually happens over the course of an entire game gets integrated into the core gameplay loop. At their best they are like ludicrous rollercoasters that take you from scrubhood to godhood and back again a dozen times over the course of a 15 hour game.

This approach also avoids the classic RPG problem, particularly common in CRPGs, where the first 10 hours are frustrating and tedious and the last 30 are mindless (Witcher 3 on Death March, I'm looking at you!).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't think I would, but I really liked the level progression in AC Origins. Every upgrade felt meaningful, which made going from my Lv. 55 +10 Bayek to Lv. 1 Kassandra really underscore how much my character changed throughout the course of the game. I also like how gear could be leveled up with you, which meant I got *really* attached to my first set of legendaries and never looked back.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown was always a good example. You feel yourself improving every thirty minutes or so. The feedback is admirable. Another one I was always fond of was Steamworld Dig. Great games, both, with a nice progression curve.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4 does this really well with its gun upgrades, IMO. Every little upgrade makes a real difference in terms of your ability to deal damage/stun enemies/both (and helps shrink your windows of vulnerability), and there's a great final upgrade to nearly every weapon that makes a big difference and feels really rewarding for the endgame.

Also, I'd actually argue that for the duration of its story, Final Fantasy X handles this extremely well by making the leveling something guided/decided by the player (and as such, every single time you get a +4 upgrade to a given stat, you IMMEDIATELY notice the difference). It's just that that game's postgame is totally broken and silly.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Surprised to see so much soulsborne mentions. A single level usually means almost no difference on it's own. I'd go with the Mario and Luigi RPGs. Rolling a high number is hype. Or Diablo III's screen clearing explosion for satisfying feelings.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Bloodborne is too good to exist. I'm still not actually sure how a game this perfect exists.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017

How dare he have an opinion!! Your response and tone is unnecessary.

I actually agree with Crackdown, levelling up feels natural and makes a huge difference. No need to craft items, juggle too many menus, etc. All happens in game with a quick animation to level up.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Bloodborne is too good to exist. I'm still not actually sure how a game this perfect exists.
So people can obnoxiously post it over and over when it makes no sense to post it.

Anyways OP my favorite from recent times is Valdis Story. You have stat points and talent points, armor and weapons that change how your character fights completely and lines up with the other two to fit different play styles and a variety of spells to pick from. There are also 4 characters that all play very different. It's my fave metroidvania next to hallow knight
site_screens05.png
valdis1.jpg
nonsense004.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So people can obnoxiously post it over and over when it makes no sense to post it.

Anyways OP my favorite from recent times is Valdis Story. You have stat points and talent points, armor and weapons that change how your character fights completely and lines up with the other two to fit different play styles and a variety of spells to pick from. There are also 4 characters that all play very different. It's my fave metroidvania next to hallow knight
site_screens05.png
valdis1.jpg
nonsense004.png
Why does it make no sense when its progression system is perfectly relevant to this thread? And the game is definitely the best game of the generation if not arguably of all time.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
What? Someone liking Crackdown? How could it be /s

Regardless of whether you do or don't like it Klob is right, having the orbs flying at your character as you mow down swarms of enemies or vehicles and the resulting explosion when your character levels up a skill is super satisfying.
How dare he have an opinion!! Your response and tone is unnecessary.

I actually agree with Crackdown, levelling up feels natural and makes a huge difference. No need to craft items, juggle too many menus, etc. All happens in game with a quick animation to level up.
What tone? No need to ge defensive, I was merely curious since I didn't play the game and the opinions on it are quite mixed.
His tone could both have been a sincere praise or pure troll, since a special effect is hardly a level progression mechanic.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it make no sense when its progression system is perfectly relevant to this thread? And the game is definitely the best game of the generation if not arguably of all time.
Because it's shallow as hell. There is no "level ding" either. You just amass currency you dump into stats.

The game is good, but it def doesn't meet what the op describes in his post. You find your one weapon, you build souls, you dump souls into the stats needed for weapon and you just use all the upgrade stones on said weapon.

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's shallow as hell. There is no "level ding" either. You just amass currency you dump into stats.

The game is good, but it def doesn't meet what the op describes in his post. You find your one weapon, you build souls, you dump souls into the stats needed for weapon and you just use all the upgrade stones on said weapon.
So what? The flatter leveling system doesn't detract from just how amazingly enjoyable it is and the sense of satisfaction you get from progressing.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Any rogue-like/lite/light/whatever.

Risk of Rain, Binding of Isaac, and many others.

When you're full on stacked on upgrades/items, tearing through mobs & bosses.

Risk of Rain on the last difficulty and 30+ items stacked is pure numbersgasm.
C7DBD54885A68EE941B71B6C4737D802A8A8F2C6

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So what? The flatter leveling system doesn't detract from just how amazingly enjoyable it is and the sense of satisfaction you get from progressing.
Except by the time I was about 4 hours into the game literally nothing changed about my character up until I beat it. I got to put in 1 more stat into hp or str every now and then. This isn't good customization that feels like my character is expanding and dumping stats in just felt like I was going through the numbers to make boss fights shorter.

Im not saying the game is bad. I'm saying it's a bad choice for what the op was talking about.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Good level progression has rhytm, it has pace.
I am jonesing for it right now, ERA. The ding. The swoosh. Picking a new skill. Opening up new possibilities.
It can't be too grindy, no, grinding is cheating, it is overloading you with dopamines for the first few levels and then starving your brain.

A sharpshooter in XCOM 2 doesn't just become a better shaprshooter with each level. It becomes a sharpshooter that can work around its own limitations. A high level sharpshooter can make multiple actions in a turn and accumulate free shots so its lack of mobility matters less. It becomes the unit that ends low health enemies injuried by the other teammates, it gains new function.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, would be near-perfect, if only level progression weren't so broken and wrong all the time. But if only the rhytm was there, if only the pace weren't a nightmare, the skill tree allows for so much

But what do you think? Gimme some games, old or new, that level up just right.

The best answer is:

Ninja Gaiden Black.

There are no level ups outside of upgrading your weapons. With that said, it has the most satisfying progression of any game I've played. There are often new enemies in new levels, new challenges to face, and a fantastic enemy variety. Where the progression really shines though is between difficulties. Yes, when you change difficulty levels everyone is upgraded but it also adds in new enemies that you have not faced before, and changes up enemy placement. Going from normal to hard makes it almost a new game. Very hard adds to it, then Master Ninja adds even more. All the while your own skills are increasing to match these new demands. The progression is both internal with enemy encounters, but also external with your own practice and increase in skill. You level up as you play.
It is satisfying. It is fantastic. It is beautiful.

OP
OP
Sblargh

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the "ding" from the souls series is when you find a bonfire or a blacksmith. While "one level" means little in the souls series, you are rarely only leveling up once. Instead you are taking all your leveling loot and cashing in, which is very satisfying given what a risk it is to walk around with all them souls.
Also leveling stats often mean you can equip new gear or new spells.
Those games are good.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the "ding" from the souls series is when you find a bonfire or a blacksmith. While "one level" means little in the souls series, you are rarely only leveling up once. Instead you are taking all your leveling loot and cashing in, which is very satisfying given what a risk it is to walk around with all them souls.
Also leveling stats often mean you can equip new gear or new spells.
Those games are good.
I agree the souls games are good at this... bloodborne I'll just keep disagreeing on as it punishes you too hard from branching away from your core build and spreading weapon upgrades out and if you want to use a variety of weapons you need to grind souls/upgrade material. Not to mention the builds are extremely shallow in comparison.

Playing a caster or hybrid caster in souls is extremely satisfying to progress and unlock new spells to use

Last edited:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Dragalia Lost.
Resources including EXP crystals, dragonfruit and mana are distributed at a satisfying pace so you can level up everything to take on increasingly tougher raids and quests.

Dec 25, 2018
Gonna echo Crackdown and Ratchet & Clank, super satisfying to be in the middle of a fight and suddenly your weapon gets a boost to do more damage or do some crazy thing in the case of R&C or you are able to finally jump like the Hulk and do ground pounds in Crackdown when you've found enough agility orbs or punched enough dudes.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

I can confirm this is true. Just played for 5 hours straight and I have to get up in 4 1/2 hours. It's basically Crackdown 1 but I am having a blast. The way they implemented HDR is incredible.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Satisfaction-wise, any game where I can actually distribute stats to contribute to a build feel super satisfying. I love dumping a shit ton of points into STR or something and becoming monstrously strong for that point in the game. Super fun stuff. So Dark Souls comes in here.

Another one I can think of is Fire Emblem, though it's a bit of a crapshoot. It can be super annoying to get shit stat ups since it's all random, but it also feels amazing when you get those exact stats you wanted or when the whole damn screen fills with +1s and it's like "Holy shit really?". The high from that is pretty much unmatched compared to any other level with how utterly important each stat point can be, especially in Speed.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The most satisfying power progression I have ever felt was in Gothic 2. You really feel like a weakling loser in the first third of the game, gain your footing and can go up against moderate opponents in the second third and then become a dragon slaying monster in the last third.