• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
This fucking game:

DzeNBX9.jpg

Note the cover art on the box. Also note that it says ages 6 to 12. I'm getting some real mixed messages here.

The game itself is a point and click with the occasional puzzle you have to solve and the objective is to get the hell out of the manor. The whole game is creepy as fuck on purpose and it even includes several sequences where you have to scramble to find a place to hide to avoid getting caught by the two hench guys. Let me tell you as an 8 year old child these sequences were nightmare inducing. 6 to 12 my ass.

Here are some screen shots to show just how scary the whole game was:

TqJLknQ.jpg

67fZHC7.jpg

qzJIu4K.jpg

Why was this ok'd for children!?!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
For me it was the GCN Bios menu

This definitely scared me as a kid. The sound effects are just plain eerie and since they're the only thing you hear it just feels mysterious. Them, combined with the fact that it wouldn't be too difficult to accidentally delete something when navigating around the memory card menu, definitely scared me.

But then of course, there's also the fact that it would boot automatically whenever the Gamecube couldn't read your disc. As my laser was dying, the fact that the console would boot straight to the bios more and more frequently caused a direct association in my mind between the dread that came from the fear of losing my console and that spooky bios menu.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A ton of gen 5 3d games...including sm64, especially more hindsight. Maybe because most characters had static facial expressions and just weird faces, a lot of creepy empty places, etc. It's hard to explain, but yea.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I always get this feeling of underlying wrongness when seeing Sonic 06. Like something eldritch is hiding by putting up a facade of normalcy that doesn't quite hold up.

Oct 27, 2017
I found Bound to be incredibly creepy in VR, simply by moving the life sized character model toward the camera rapidly. I could literally make myself flinch.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
A ton of gen 5 3d games...including sm64, especially more hindsight. Maybe because most characters had static facial expressions and just weird faces, a lot of creepy empty places, etc. It's hard to explain, but yea.
The boo that stares at you from across the hallway leading to the courtyard as you head towards the basement still kinda creeps me out. Looking down long hallways kinda bothers me in general.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I don't know why but Super Mario Bros 2 always creeped me out. I was pretty young though.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
angry_sun_super_mario_maker_course_element-700x394.png

This scared the hell out of me as a child. I think it was the idea that the sun itself was trying to kill you, and he looks like he *hates* you. I can't think of anything else in the Mario series that looks and behaves as scarily as this enemy.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Might have been intentionally, but running out of the Temple of Time as Adult link for the first time...

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm finding the new Yoshi game to be pretty creepy. The artstyle and the incredibly minimal (or sometimes complete absence of) music is giving me creepy vibes

Also,
there's a level with screeching axe wielding clowns that attack you in the dark
gameplay link

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
I think most games named in this thread are intentionally creepy. It's a hard task anyway since you never know what the developer's intentions were.

Nonetheless, my vote goes to the mission in Majora's Mask where you had to save the cows from getting kidnapped by the aliens. I was afraid of playing that part back then.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This definitely scared me as a kid. The sound effects are just plain eerie and since they're the only thing you hear it just feels mysterious. Them, combined with the fact that it wouldn't be too difficult to accidentally delete something when navigating around the memory card menu, definitely scared me.

But then of course, there's also the fact that it would boot automatically whenever the Gamecube couldn't read your disc. As my laser was dying, the fact that the console would boot straight to the bios more and more frequently caused a direct association in my mind between the dread that came from the fear of losing my console and that spooky bios menu.
Exactly this lol. I used to look away from the screen whenever I turned on my GameCube.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

Abandoned systems in No Man's Sky where the abandoned space station are the ones with the design Pre-NEXT DLC. The atmosphere here is just creepy and there's nothing to find here.

LDAF

Jul 8, 2018
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire is scarier than most horror games. Everyone I've talked to about it feels the same way. The wampas, the sewers, IG-88, the fog, frequent darkness, and level design that made it hard to see an enemy until it was right on top of you...

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

They're aware of this one because it remains one of the scariest fucks in the latest major installment
7ac.jpg

I hate the Ocarina of Time "?" (Windmill). I love this game and always hate playing the creepy parts

0745-Windmill.png

XWGs3St.jpg

No one should be making this face. Why does anyone live here, why do you look like you've seen death and you try to hide it?

la-geek-en-rose-zelda-ocarina-of-time-oot-windmill.gif

w.t.f. Why would anyone be DEMONICALLY MAD at you for music. He never attacks you...but then why THIS face?

Oct 25, 2017
They're aware of this one because it remains one of the scariest fucks in the latest major installment
7ac.jpg

I hate the Ocarina of Time "?" (Windmill). I love this game and always hate playing the creepy parts

0745-Windmill.png

XWGs3St.jpg

No one should be making this face. Why does anyone live here, why do you look like you've seen death and you try to hide it?

w.t.f. Why would anyone be DEMONICALLY MAD at you for music. He never attacks you...but then why THIS face?
I know but in Mario64 it wasn't meant to be as creepy as in the new games obviously.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I remember playing Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer on the GameCube and it always creeped me out when you would crash into the water on some of the levels and all you could see below you was pure black.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
No one has ever heard of Kether, because it was on the CD-i, but it is fucking creepy weird.

I had this game as a kid and had no idea what they were going for with the presentation, the gameplay was rather unremarkable space shooter/dodge asteroids kind of stuff. But all the cutscenes and voice acting is the stuff of nightmares.

One of those games you can't explain how it was created other than drugs. Drugs would also be the only reason to choose to develop for the Philips CD-i.

HOLY SHIT I HAD THIS GAME!!!

I can barely remember because it was such a long time ago, but I remember playing this having no fucking clue what was going on or how to do anything. but trying to get through it anyway because this was the only CD-I game we had.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of early 3d games are kind of creepy for me. I think just how empty the environments are, and how short the draw distance is. Sometimes its like you are just walking in this void and anything could jump out at you.
I say that, even talking about very cutesy kid friendly games.

TigerGD

Oct 29, 2017
In Street Fighter III, when you square off against Urien and Gill, and they explode out of their clothing to reveal their banana hammocks underneath. Bros, I did not come here to tussle *like that*

But seriously, I was driving off-road at night in Forza Horizon 4, and dropped off an embankment straight into a river. I was instantly overcome with a very real sense of panic, because I've had nightmares of all sorts of drowning scenarios ever since I was narrowly rescued from one as a kid.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

0745-Windmill.png

XWGs3St.jpg

Well it's explained by himself when you talk to him.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can never tell if the creepiness in Dropsy is intentional or not. I never got around to finishing the game, but the game itself is focused on making the people you meet happy.

http://dropsytheclown.com/

Point of the game is that "scary on the outside, kind on the inside"

The guy just made hypnospace outlaw, he knows what he's doin

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Idk if it counts but:
the entire epilogue of RDR2, knowing what happened to Arthur and what will eventually happen to John...was really off-putting.
Nailed it. It hits really hard. Like in a mental area no Videogame had before. So unpleasant.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I liked Myst when I played it, way back when. But it never filled me with wonder. Just loneliness and dread. It instilled a feeling in me that I wouldn't have again until Shadow of the Colossus, where making progress in the game
felt like I was the villain, working toward unleashing some unspeakable evil.
Of course, in SotC, that was the point.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Not a game but a screen that always really creeped me out when I was a kid and still kinda feel offputting to this day. When you turn on the SNES, you always had a small chance of not turning on the game with the intro cutscene and good happy music and all that but rather booting up this screen at pure random in dead silence.

You would turn on the system, the screen would hard cut from black to this picture with heavy shadows, faces of the kongs, and no music or audio at all. If I was playing in a dark room alone I was always off put

1448142732466.png

Menome

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. It's a lot more obvious from the actual cutscene thanks to not being zoomed in just on her face.

The first time I saw that gif, I had no context for it other than someone saying it was "creepy" and I had no idea why. I genuinely thought it was real because I wasn't laser-focusing my attention on it.

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
Early 3D games in general can have some creepy elements. It's with the low draw distance, abstract level designs, low polygonal graphics, empty levels

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
It took me awhile to start playing both The Witcher 3 and Skyrim because I was always kinda creeped out by monsters randomly attacking me, especially at night. Same with Fallout 3 as well, I was barely able to make progress in the game. I got over it though because I realised I'm good at games and don't really die and even if I did it's not Dark Souls where I drop all my souls/cash.