• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Big news from GW, though they say it's a few years away yet! They plan for this to sit alongside Age of Sigmar, similar to Horus Heresy and 40K:

46cd4786.jpg

Old World? New Warhammer!!

You'll never believe what we're working on. The Studio had to tell us twice.

Yeah. For really reals.

In the deepest dungeons of the Warhammer Studio, the counsel of the wise have convened, ancient forges have been re-lit and work has already begun. So far… we've made the logo.

Next up, everything else.

You get the idea – this is a long way off. Years. More than two. Like three or more. Definitely not soon.

Obviously, this is really exciting news for all of us, and just like with Sisters of Battle, we'll keep you updated with more news as the project unfolds.

For those of you who don't know, in 2015, Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles changed forever, in so far as Archaon destroyed the world. Classic Archaon.

Everything we knew of the Old World collapsed into a void of Chaos and infinite possibility. From that tumultuous storm came the Mortal Realms, heralding a new dawn of unending war in the Age of Sigmar.

2d71170a.jpg

From the reforged primordial soup and etheric energies of the Old World rose wonders we could never have imagined – armies of ghosts, fleets of aether-powered aircraft, Greenskin brutes the size of horses, and flying sharks! The heroes, villains, warriors and monsters of Warhammer Age of Sigmar represent the best range of fantasy miniatures in the world, beloved of a passionate, global gaming community. And over the past four years, Warhammer Age of Sigmar has become by far, the most successful fantasy game ever.

And yet, the Old World whispers from ages past with its siren song. We grow misty-eyed at the memory of long-lost heroes and glorious kingdoms laid to ruin and of mighty champions whose sagas are sung no more.

And of course, much of the lore of the Mortal Realms has its roots in the world that was – with some of it's most venerable denizens being the very same that fought across those war-torn kingdoms (along with a small selection of choice magical artefacts.)

0e0f8389.png

The Old World is to Warhammer Age of Sigmar, as the Horus Heresy is to Warhammer 40,000. The bedrock of lore from which mortals rose to godhood and legends were forged. And like the Horus Heresy, seeing those mythic heroes in action has an undeniable appeal, as does re-creating the glorious armies of a previous epoch – an exciting proposition for hobbyists and gamers alike. And now, we have a dedicated team in the Warhammer Studio beginning the work of bringing all that awesome back to the tabletop.

Exciting stuff!

If you're itching to jump into the Old World right now, you can! There is a fantastic selection of computer games, such as Vermintide and Total War: Warhammer, offering a chance to engage in the enduring appeal of the setting.

And what next, then, for Warhammer Age of Sigmar?

There are some HUGE (some might say giant) plans for the Mortal Realms… More news soon. For now, we have to keep it hysh-hysh.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
You've gotta hand it to Games Workshop for taking Tolkien's world map and makes it even more explicitly racist.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Great idea, hopefully it brings people back to Warhammer who left with the creation of Age of Sigmar.

I'm not too excited about rebasing anything though but I don't see why I couldn't just use a movement tray to put some round models into rank and file formations.

Personally, my love for the previous Warhammer setting is rooted in the lore far more than the gameplay. As a Lizardmen/Seraphon fan I liked everything about their kingdom in the jungles of Lustria and I wasn't really happy about how they became star people conjurations but the gameplay overall was just average.

The comparison to 30k is interesting because Heresy era products is supported almost exclusively through ForgeWorld, but this looks like it will be straight from Games Workshop itself.

Still, this will make lots of people happy. Especially Bretonnian and Tomb King players.

Even if I do find Brettonians the very definition of vanilla.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Does this mean I can break my troop of Elf Wardancers out of their retirement home/loft?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've gotta hand it to Games Workshop for taking Tolkien's world map and makes it even more explicitly racist.

Is that really Tolkien's map? Looks like Europe to me. Albion is even a relatively common name for Britain in fantasy settings and Estalia is totally a Spanish-influenced name too. Tilea is literally Italy and the Badlands are, like, Africa I guess?

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I will be interested to see what they come up with. They would need to do something more rank and flank I would guess. I am not re-basing anything though. Hopefully we get Mordheim back!

Oct 25, 2017
This seriously surprising as, despite the rocky start, AoS has been doing pretty well. I guess they don't want to keep supporting the old stuff with rules in AoS but at the same time don't want to dump all that history. Also they basically have nothing but skirmish games at the moment.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
This seriously surprising as, despite the rocky start, AoS has been doing pretty well. I guess they don't want to keep supporting the old stuff with rules in AoS but at the same time don't want to dump all that history. Also they basically have nothing but skirmish games at the moment.

Yeah the success of AoS is what allows them to devote resources to this. At one of my local shops people were selling 40k stuff to get into AoS.

Which leads me to wonder exactly how much support this is going to get. On top of new rule and army books I imagine lots of old models need to be refreshed which is in turn a boon for AoS.

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for this. Hope they do it justice that it is successful for them. I have 0 interest in AoS.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the success of AoS is what allows them to devote resources to this. At one of my local shops people were selling 40k stuff to get into AoS.

Which leads me to wonder exactly how much support this is going to get. On top of new rule and army books I imagine lots of old models need to be refreshed which is in turn a boon for AoS.
i assume it will be equivalent to 30k support. rare

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

It looks like it's mostly a Forge World project, which I guess gives them something to do given they're beginning to run out of Legion models to make for the Horus Heresy.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I am shocked

SHOCKED

ABSOLUTELY STUNNED

That the thing that I said was going to happen as soon as End Times blew up the world ended up happening.

It's almost as if they've not been leaning on Old World IP in games for the past four years.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. This is really sad to see.

One of my longtime friends was a HUGE fan of old school Warhammer and the shift to Age of Sigmar was really hard on him, especially because he was starting to get really sick at the time.

He died last year. This news would've made him really happy. :(

Apoplectoad

Mar 15, 2019
Yay. Another game system for me to invest in, as someone who mainly plays AoS, I hope there are some kind of rounded to square adapters so my brigade of floppy hats can work in both.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
This is so weird. Plus, this happens on the ONE day I'm not checking Warhammer Community 🤣

Oct 31, 2017
Glad to hear it. The Warhammer World was infinitley more interesting than AoS, and I'm glad they are going to keep it going in some form at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Transpose this map onto a map of our world. Compare which Warhammer races live in "The Old World" (Europe), and which live in "Badlands," "The Dark Lands," and "The Blasted Wastes."

This isn't hard.

So you're saying it's racist because the Orks are located in the "Middle East" of the Warhammer World? Also literally transposing anything from that world to ours, even if it and all it's races are very loosely based real life civilizations, is flawed to begin with.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck. This is really sad to see.

One of my longtime friends was a HUGE fan of old school Warhammer and the shift to Age of Sigmar was really hard on him, especially because he was starting to get really sick at the time.

He died last year. This news would've made him really happy. :(

sorry about your friend :( is this something that you're into as well? maybe give it a go for him~

DeepSearch

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Does this mean they're bringing back Bretonnia? Because I'm pretty sure I've got an largely unpainted collection tucked away somewhere in my folks attic. 15-20 years later, and it might be time to actually learn how to properly paint miniatures.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
This is so weird to me, especially since they announced those "legacy rules" for all the stuff left behind just a few months back. I never liked the AoS stuff, mostly because I was deeply enamored with the Old World lore and the new stuff kinda sucks imo.

Still, those who held onto their armies must be somewhat happy, knowing they only have to keep them a few more YEARS until they become official again.

Also, lol.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Still, those who held onto their armies must be somewhat happy, knowing they only have to keep them a few more YEARS until they become official again.

Until they bring the new system at AoS scale, not rank and file anymore etc.. Or at the very least, base sizes would be completely different.

What? You didn't expect GW to just let people use their old armies, just like that? Gotta sell people a new army book and about 200€ of plastic per army ever 2 years!

I'm out of Warhammer for good. Might get a single model here or there for painting. Not that mini board games and their models wouldn't fill that role more than enough...

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I was super fanatical about WHFB to the point that I worked for GW for a bit in my 20s. I wasn't a fan of 8th ed and kinda fell off at that point but AOS was the final nail in the coffin.

Depending on how they do it they might get back in.

Hell I've got plenty of armies just sitting around gathering dust.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife just got into warhammer, especially AoS. Reading all this negativity here makes me unsure if I should share her the link to this thread lol.

I've gotta say for the sausage fest that the warhammer community is, the people in our local game-workshop store were super supportive and nice to her. Especially since I have zero interest in Warhammer