• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of us have been there. "Goddamn, this game is good, I need to play through it again." And then you do, and then you reflect on the experience, and it wasn't all that.

For me, it's GTA V. I played this game on Day 1 for about 15 hours straight in my dorm, and wanted to keep going were it not for having to sleep before classes the next day. I eventually 100%'d it after 30+ hours, and I loved every second. Did basically the same thing with the PS4 remaster with little hesitation. I enjoyed it at the time, but looking back, I have nothing favorable to say about the game. Despite how enamored I was while playing, I've only grown dislike it over time apart, and I couldn't tell you exactly why.

What's your GTA V?

I'll give you a shoe-in: Dark Souls II. Praised when it came out, largely hated today. I imagine many of you played it for 40+ hours, beat it, were content with it, but over time, grew to dislike it (relative to other Souls games at least).

Last edited:

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
I've never retroactively hated a game I really enjoyed... Is that actually common?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Bravely Default. Like it took 60 hours until I actually realised I hated it. I enjoyed how fresh it was then realised it was still going, and kept going. And it just kinda dropped on me. I really did enjoy it for the first few days and was super excited for it.

Oh you meant retroactively. I don't think I've ever had that. I kinda feel like if I beat it, there was something of value. Like Dark Souls 2. I finished it?

triple

Banned for use of alt account
Nov 10, 2017
FFXV, but I don't know if 20 hours is enough to hit your bar. FWIW, I enjoyed maybe the first 10, then absolutely loathe/not interested in playing the rest.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never retroactively hated a game I really enjoyed... Is that actually common?
Not sure about hatred, but my opinion of games I played and finished sometimes changes when enough time passed. Oftentimes it's a matter of said game just being unmemorable even though I might have enjoyed it (even to a great extent) at the time. Being an unmemorable experience is a pretty big downer honestly.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate Persona 3, having started playing the series with it and having cared enough to buy it twice, but the things I dislike about it have led me to be far more critical of it than its successors.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2, which I played twice in a row. Took me months, but the more I thought about it, the more the game fell apart. From bad scenes like "you're talking to a GOD" to neutering characters (like Garrus becoming a fucking awful person after you taught him not to be in the first game) to gameplay lacking build variety and engagement, there just isn't anything to like about that game.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Not hate, but my opinion Batman: Arkham Asylum precipitously dropped over time with retrospect and replays.

Objectively the best and most complete Batman video game experience at the time, but so wholly surpassed by its sequels which made its incredibly barebones gameplay, level design and encounter design all the more apparent. Replaying it last year was a big chore, and I still am surprised how much I was willing to overlook the glaring problems just because I was a Batman fan.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda feeling that way about Hollow Knight. Thought it was great for the 30 hours I put into it. Picked it up again and it's just so... boring? Like, it just feels exposed to me.

I play Metroidvanias often enough that this isn't an issue and I replay stuff where secrets and revelations aren't a shock and still enjoy it well enough. I've even jumped into games soon after beating them and might fatigue on them, but never really change my thoughts on it.

I'm sure it's happened before but Hollow Knight is a recent example.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
Probably FF12.
I was kinda digging it initially when i first got it, but sand sand, sandsea, and more sand, and i just dont like how licensing works (esecially since it feels like a version of the sphere grid that forces you to take like 3x as many steps to properly use anything) and i feel like gambits would be cool if they didnt make the vast majority of the game autopilot and if they werent treated as a collectable.

As i played it more it felt like it wasnt repecting my time, and i ended up disliking it more and more.

I dont hate the game, and i fully intend to try it again with the zodiac age pc port, but yeah...

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its because im old, But Megaman Battle Network, But only because of one point, excessive ammount of random encounters, i dont have this much patience today.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
While I don't hate them..

FFIX - the battle speed is too slow for me to enjoy playing it nowadays. Unlike FFVII.

MGS2 - used to be my favourite but the lack of CQC from the older games makes it hard for me to play. I don't think it's worse, just enjoy the others better now.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
My first 30 hours of Persona 5 were going real well, my next 80 or so much much less. It just kept getting worse.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Mine is Ark: Survival Evolved. Loved it with friends, played it for a month straight, I've now come to realise its a horrible, buggy game, that has far too many tedious tasks for my liking, especially once your base gets destroyed. For some reason it took too long to get to the good stuff for me, but on the custom servers, it just wasn't as fun. Waiting 12hours, feeding and caring for it, to tame a beast is a joke in it self. (never did it)

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Dota 2. From time to time I try to reinstall but it is a very different game nowadays. Also, the playerbase is still mostly toxic, so it is really hard to get back into it...

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Diablo 3, I think. I liked the game much more when it launched then after the expansion. Now whenever I try to go back it just feels very artificial in a weird way.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I feel bad for saying this but Street Fighter V. Played a ton of the beta, was insanely hyped, put in 60 hours in the first month or so and then grew to insanely hate it. As a long time sf fan, it ruined fighting games for me. People say it's improved and way better now but i never gave it a second thought and since moved on. I probably would enjoy it now but the initial bad taste at launch never wore off.

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Destiny 2 is really the only game I can think of that I ended up realizing I hate after playing it so much. I won't beat a dead horse with why I think that.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2. When I look back I can't believe I put so many hours into that damn game. I think it was because it was my first time playing a Sonic game in like 6 years since I never had a Dreamcast.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Pokémon XY until Bank was released. Then I started hating it until I stopped playing when ORAS released. ORAS was so bad, it made me like XY again (it's a 8/10 game).

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition.

I'm still surprised at how far my opinion of that game dropped as I made my way through. My initial impression were pretty good but I became pretty resentful of it towards the end. I guess I was willing to cut a game some slack early on but it just got worse with the fetch quests and with padding in general.

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
I guess Grand Theft Auto 5 comes to mind...I got it when it launched on PS3, and I played through the campaign. I remember enjoying it at the time....but every time I even try to pick it up now, I just get bored to tears. I feel like it's such a boring open world with not a fucking thing to do in it. What baffles me more is why the GTA online mode is so popular. I booted it up again last night and tried it, and the online mode stuff seemed pretty much indecipherable for anyone jumping into it. You log in, and it just bombards you with bull shit, with no context.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think Jak and Daxter was a GOAT platformer but as I get older I kind of hate it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Loved Banjo Kazooie as a kid but its no longer to my taste. Its still nostalgic to replay the first world or two but I dont really care for the game as a whole outside of its music. The platforming is sparse & rudimentary when it does show up, and I dont like how Banjo handles (DK64 a year later was a big improvement in character feel even if i think that game is an even bigger slog)

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I guess the closest thing to this for me at this point is PUBG... Completely obsessed with it the first 2-3 months after it came out... Then put another decent chunk of time in late summer/early fall of last year.

At this point though I find the game incredibly boring... When you combine the gameplay issues I have with it with the fact even after the 1.0 update its glitchy and janky as hell I've just really come to dislike the game.

Can't really think of a single player game I've had this experience with.

Cyberhaven

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Witcher 3. I was just hyped from all the press release when they showed off the combat, graphics, decision making and how they carefully treaded each quest line with care. After 15 hours I realized I wasn't having a fun.

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
Sonic Adventure(s): The thread?

And as much as I love most of Trauma Team... I recently tried again the Orthopedics and Endoscopy modes I sort of "eh" around last time, and I almost threw my Wiimite out of the window.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
GTA 5 (or more accurately GTA Online) for me too, I don't hate it, just really dislike what it became and that that's were all of Rockstars attention went.

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild. I played it for about 60 hours, swept along on the tidal wave of hype and then I finally realised I'd been spending hours and hours doing the same boring bullshit over and over with very little reward to show for it.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Almost all old-school JRPG's, especially the ones that go on 50+ hours. I don't "hate" them, but I realize now as an adult how tedious and time consuming these games were. If I weren't a kid/teen when I played them I'd never get through them now.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Horizon. Story really became a slog and pulled me away from the fun stuff I wanted to be doing with the game.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Dragon Age 2. I had a good time when I played it, but looking back, I never want to touch it again.

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started out thinking that ME:Andromeda was alright but damn that changed quick once I got to the first real boss.

IgorL

Oct 27, 2017
Played a lot of Sonic Adventure 2 as a kid, got to replay it last year and it didn't felt as great... except the music.

Deleted member 2099

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all of the MOBAs, especially League of Legend. I once liked all the MOBAs so much in my teen years, but that's all changed when I hit adulthood. I despise the genre as a whole and I have a special hatred for League of Legend.

Jan 7, 2018
Fire Emblem Awakening. On the first playtrough, the game is able to hide how broken it truly is. While replaying it on Lunatic, I realized how terribly pair up destroys the game, and the bad and repetitive map design also becomes more apparent.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Xenoblade Chronicles X

I mean, I loved exploring that world. But when I think about the story or characters, I just get angry.

I swear to God, if I hear one more "Tatsu is food" joke...

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I wouldn't say hate but I played over 100 hours of Skyrim at launch on the PS3 and liked it at the time. Playing again a bit later, thinking about it, and playing some other open world games and... I just don't think it was very good. It especially doesn't home up at all today, but even back when it came out, it was very mediocre.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Enter the Gungeon

Really liked it at first, but the game is sorely lacking any sense of achievement or progression. Great runs are defined 100% by luck and nothing else.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim. Had a lot of fun, but the more I played, the more annoyed I got and I started to notice the cracks a lot more. Now I don't want to touch the game again.

I think a lot of that had to do with losing progress thanks to mods breaking and also losing saves.