• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

notusingthis

May 31, 2019
Alright... there's a game that I played on PC around 2008-2009 that I believe had already been out for a few years by then where you play as a star-faring civilization (or maybe just as a crew and a ship, my memory is hazy) on a hexagonal grid, and you can design spaceships and meet extraterrestrial civilizations and stuff. I've looked at screenshots of all the Star Control games I can find but none of them seem familiar. The problem is that I might be missing details and I'm struggling to remember anything more concrete than that. I think the aesthetic was somewhat more "serious" than Star Control's.

I looked into a game called Starbound (the one from 1994) but it seemed like that game was Mac-only, and distinctly looks older than the game I played. I'm pretty sure the game I'm talking about was from at least the late 90's.
Space Rangers might be more similar to Star Control or if it was a 4X maybe Master of Orion or Ascendancy? or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri?

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
One of the galactic civilization maybe ?

Was this a game where you were controlling multiple ships, conquering planets and building out like a whole civilization, or were you controlling a single ship and traveling from planet to planet? If it is the grander strategy one I was thinking it may be one of the Galactic Civilizations or Master of Orion games.

Galactic Civilizations feels the closest to any of the games mentioned otherwise, specifically Galactic Civilizations II, but for some reason I feel like it's not quite it. I'm really not sure about whether or not I was building a whole civilization or not, which seems weird since that should be the main gameplay loop, but I feel like I distinctly remember going around exploring different regions of space in my own ship. I'm also pretty confident that there was a distinct grid of some kind and I think that exploration was turn-based. Were there any games similar to Galactic Civilizations and Master of Orion? It was harder for me to find good screenshots of earlier Master of Orion games but I don't think that was it.

Space Rangers might be more similar to Star Control or if it was a 4X maybe Master of Orion or Ascendancy? or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri?

I will say that I don't think it was all that much like Sid Meier's games. I played a decent bit of Civ IV around then, and I believe I would've remembered them being in the same basic genre. I don't think I played many other games in this genre. It was not Ascendancy nor Alpha Centauri, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Space Rangers. I don't really remember ever being "on the ground," if that helps.

Last edited:

denisqc

Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
as all I can find from memory are cited and dismissed, i tried Gemini ( chat gpt was a mess) :

There aren't a ton of turn-based space exploration games with hexagonal grids that fit that timeframe, but here are two possibilities:

• Galaxy Commander: Achilles (2007): This turn-based strategy game with a hexagonal grid map focuses on ship-to-ship combat with RPG elements. You control a single powerful starship and explore a procedurally generated galaxy, completing missions, recruiting crew members from different alien races, and researching new technologies.
  • Stars! The Next Generation (2000): While not released in 2007, this turn-based 4X space exploration game with a hexagonal grid map from SSI (Strategic Simulations, Inc.) remained popular for many years and might be what you're thinking of. You can explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate your way across the galaxy encountering alien species, diplomacy, and combat. There's a good chance it was still being played in 2007.

one of those ?

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
  • Stars! The Next Generation (2000): While not released in 2007, this turn-based 4X space exploration game with a hexagonal grid map from SSI (Strategic Simulations, Inc.) remained popular for many years and might be what you're thinking of. You can explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate your way across the galaxy encountering alien species, diplomacy, and combat. There's a good chance it was still being played in 2007.
I couldn't find this game mentioned anywhere, although I'd be curious about a sequel to the original Stars! but I found "Reach for the Stars" by SSI. Screenshots don't show much, though.

bruchuck

Sep 3, 2021
Sounds like HyperBlade to me!

en.wikipedia.org

HyperBlade - Wikipedia

hyperblade_5.png

Think you, my friends. That is exactly the game that I was looking for... I didn't remember the name, and neither my brother....it was so nice to play... I will hunt this game around.. lol

Thx, made my day !

MarshallLaw

Oct 19, 2023
There's a game I played on PS1 as a kid (I must have only been 6/7, so this is around 1999/2000). It was like a 2D platformer but you had a weapon (I think it was a gun or like a hoover type weapon?). Graphics were similar to Oddworld I believe, those kind of pre rendered backgrounds and similar looking models. My memory is dogshit but I think the player character had a cap? And the enemies were like dark monsters

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
There's a game I played on PS1 as a kid (I must have only been 6/7, so this is around 1999/2000). It was like a 2D platformer but you had a weapon (I think it was a gun or like a hoover type weapon?). Graphics were similar to Oddworld I believe, those kind of pre rendered backgrounds and similar looking models. My memory is dogshit but I think the player character had a cap? And the enemies were like dark monsters
Heart of Darkness. It seems to have a cult following of sorts but I despised it

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was in GameStop today, and they had a video playing on their TVs showing off various games. One of them was a 2D sidescroller looking one that reminded me of CaveStory or Mighty Gunvolt Burst in its style. Looked like 8-bit or 16-bit anime style kinda. It showed parts with text bubbles and everything was in Japanese still. I think it came after a Mario game video.

Any ideas? Or maybe there's a way to watch this video online somewhere?

TASTokyo

Nov 8, 2017
Alright... there's a game that I played on PC around 2008-2009 that I believe had already been out for a few years by then where you play as a star-faring civilization (or maybe just as a crew and a ship, my memory is hazy) on a hexagonal grid, and you can design spaceships and meet extraterrestrial civilizations and stuff. I've looked at screenshots of all the Star Control games I can find but none of them seem familiar. The problem is that I might be missing details and I'm struggling to remember anything more concrete than that. I think the aesthetic was somewhat more "serious" than Star Control's.

I looked into a game called Starbound (the one from 1994) but it seemed like that game was Mac-only, and distinctly looks older than the game I played. I'm pretty sure the game I'm talking about was from at least the late 90's.

One of the master of Orion games? Or Ascendancy?

Edit: Ah just those mentioned above

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Anyone know of a recent-ish (maybe still unreleased) indie game where you are an injured bird (wing broken or something) exploring a human house? 3rd person camera. I have been hunting for it for months.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of an old arcade brawler where the characters are in a smaller proportion, then the weapons have a chainsaw? I think it has a New York old Bronx punk/motorcycle gangs aesthetic

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
That second one looks so close to it except I know for a fact the game is on Neo Geo and that one doesn't seem like it released there?

Hmmm that works on Neo Geo hardware? Uhhhh, I can't think of any small sprite games that let you use weapons uhhh, there's like Burning Fight, Sengoku 1-3, Ninja Combat those are beat em ups set during modern times that use weapons, but the sprites are big hmmm.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0C8ggmmGr4&t=429s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLKQLYHQWw&t=1400s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShfdduWAyJg&t=1029s

Even if it isn't Sengoku, everyone should play Sengoku 2 and 3 they're some of the best beat em ups of all time. Do you remember anything else about the game you're looking for?

Last edited:

funkygallo

Oct 27, 2017
Ciao help needed :)
I remember playing it on PSP or PSVita and it was in isometric. The main character was a purple (or blue?) penguin, but I looked it up and it's not Prinny. I remember he had an auger among his weapons.

Can you help me identify the game?

UPDATE
Found myself with some deep searching.. (..and it definitely wasn't a penguin the hero!). The game was Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
ss_dabe40f2d637b4ad6f6b0b0240bb99c4344ebec3.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
An old 2D PC game where you character looks like Robocop. It's a side view perspective, but no scrolling. Once you reach the edge of a screen, it loads to another screen.

You fought against little ed 209's which were you're height. Your character was also quite squat. You didn't start the game out with ammo, so you had to avoid enemies for a bit until you found some.

I only had the demo of the game, so I can't say much more about it.

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021
Ciao help needed :)
I remember playing it on PSP or PSVita and it was in isometric. The main character was a purple (or blue?) penguin, but I looked it up and it's not Prinny. I remember he had an auger among his weapons.

Can you help me identify the game?

UPDATE
Found myself with some deep searching.. (..and it definitely wasn't a penguin the hero!). The game was Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
ss_dabe40f2d637b4ad6f6b0b0240bb99c4344ebec3.1920x1080.jpg

Great Game, also available on Steam and 3DS

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
An old 2D PC game where you character looks like Robocop. It's a side view perspective, but no scrolling. Once you reach the edge of a screen, it loads to another screen.

You fought against little ed 209's which were you're height. Your character was also quite squat. You didn't start the game out with ammo, so you had to avoid enemies for a bit until you found some.

I only had the demo of the game, so I can't say much more about it.
Electro Man

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ok so… early 2D PC game. Heavy likelihood it was DOS. It was a little elf/gnome character and you would bury down into the dirt Mr. Driller style/perspective and had to collect red hearts. iirc you also had to avoid going under stones as they would fall on you.

This has been bugging me for years lol. I loved it as a kid.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Ok so… early PC game. Heavy likelihood it was DOS. It was a little elf/gnome character and you would bury down into the dirt Mr. Driller style/perspective and had to collect red hearts. iirc you also had to avoid going under stones as they would fall on you.

This has been bugging me for years lol. I loved it as a kid.

Something like Boulder Dash?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Think I found a clone that might be it. Game called Heartlight. Never played this clone, but it looks cool.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEqIO3Zet-o

Oh my god!!! That's totally it!!! Thank you so much 🥰🙏 hearing it and seeing it just flooded back so many memories and so much nostalgia. That's crazy haha. I'd completely forgotten it wasn't underground and was that colourful too, so good work finding it! Was among my earliest games 😊

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Oh my god!!! That's totally it!!! Thank you so much 🥰🙏 hearing it and seeing it just flooded back so many memories and so much nostalgia. That's crazy haha. I'd completely forgotten it wasn't underground and was that colourful too, so good work finding it! Was among my earliest games 😊

NP, looks like someone made a web browser version of it so you can play it online as well. Original is on my abandonware as well, if you wanted to play the real thing.

Heartlight

Play Heartlight 30th Anniversary Edition directly in the browser. A fan-remake of Janusz Pelc's classic puzzle game.