• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Question about a Dreamcast game that I can't recall the name for.

Quirky Japanese driving (not racing) game that had some elements of action. It was you and a companion in the car. I remember two females whom I believe to be either police officers or some government officials. There were other levels where you played as two dudes who were either low-rank criminals or members of the Yakuza. One person drove and the other person manned a rocket launcher, or a machine gun.

The levels were linear, there were boss battles, and I remember some shortcuts hidden throughout the level. I think if you left the game at the startup screen long enough a gameplay demo started up, playing thru a bit of one of the first levels (as the two females) and it shows them going thru a glass building shortcut type of thing. It was part of a series and there maaaaaaaaaaaaaay have been a sequel for the OG Xbox.Any of y'all know what I'm talking about?

It's Super Runabout/Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition

Wreckless the Yakuza Mission is the pseudo sequel on the OG Xbox

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
Alright so I don't even know if this was a recurring nightmare I had as a child or if this was an actual game. I honestly can't remember anymore.

Anyway I think it was one of these educational games or rather one that was advertised in one of those educational magazines. So it's a PC game and you start out by talking to this talking tree in a forest, then you can explore the world/forest, talk to the animals that live there and play games with them. After a certain amount of time the world gets this ominous red tint and all the animals get frozen in time. When you enter a screen with an animal in it, their soul would leave their body. I think the tree tells you to go to the lighthouse and once you reach the top of the lighthouse there's this witch that would say something and a timer would appear. I think that's the point where I would always turn off the PC in fear lol.

I played it when I was about 11-12 so that would be about 12-13 years ago. Everything is too vivid I swear it wasn't a nightmare but an actual game I had. It's been nagging at me for the last 10 years if this wasa game or a nightmare. Please, someone help me find it!

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Alright so I don't even know if this was a recurring nightmare I had as a child or if this was an actual game. I honestly can't remember anymore.

Anyway I think it was one of these educational games or rather one that was advertised in one of those educational magazines. So it's a PC game and you start out by talking to this talking tree in a forest, then you can explore the world/forest, talk to the animals that live there and play games with them. After a certain amount of time the world gets this ominous red tint and all the animals get frozen in time. When you enter a screen with an animal in it, their soul would leave their body. I think the tree tells you to go to the lighthouse and once you reach the top of the lighthouse there's this witch that would say something and a timer would appear. I think that's the point where I would always turn off the PC in fear lol.

I played it when I was about 11-12 so that would be about 12-13 years ago. Everything is too vivid I swear it wasn't a nightmare but an actual game I had. It's been nagging at me for the last 10 years if this wasa game or a nightmare. Please, someone help me find it!

Forestia.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Thinking of an old PC strategy game, based in space, something like Space Mission Command it might have been called.

Played very similar to C&C with a grey dome-like mothership that has little drones that go and collect ore and bring back to then craft things like Scout ships, tech platforms and more. Any ideas?

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of an old PC strategy game, based in space, something like Space Mission Command it might have been called.

Played very similar to C&C with a grey dome-like mothership that has little drones that go and collect ore and bring back to then craft things like Scout ships, tech platforms and more. Any ideas?
Star Command: Revolution perhaps?

solarboy

Oct 27, 2017
ERA, my partner needs some help. She's trying to remember the name of a PC point-and-click adventure game circa 2007. She said it has a black leopard on the box art, and the title might have just been one word. Any idea what this might be?

Edit: She remembered the name of the creator immediately after we posted. It was Paradise by Benoît Sokal, maker of the Cyberia games!

DORK

Oct 29, 2017
When I was a kid (early 2000s) my cousin came to visit and brought his OG Xbox with him, and on it we played a game I've been trying to find ever since just to settle my curiosity: it was some kind of Ninja/Samurai action or platformer game, 3d with a zoomed out perspective (and I feel like a fixed camera? Not like RE, more like the original GOW), where you could power up your weapons with the elements at what I think were like katana sword stands?

Please someone help me, I just want to move on with my life.

Oct 26, 2017
When I was a kid (early 2000s) my cousin came to visit and brought his OG Xbox with him, and on it we played a game I've been trying to find ever since just to settle my curiosity: it was some kind of Ninja/Samurai action or platformer game, 3d with a zoomed out perspective (and I feel like a fixed camera? Not like RE, more like the original GOW), where you could power up your weapons with the elements at what I think were like katana sword stands?

Please someone help me, I just want to move on with my life.
Otogi?

DORK

Oct 29, 2017
My god that was quick. This isn't exactly how I remember it, but it's close enough that when accounting for the innacuracy of childhood memory I think this was probably it. Does anyone know if it holds up? It is Fromsoft...

Edit: From watching some gameplay it may have been Otogi 2. Either way, thanks!

Last edited:

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC Game, top down camera, 2D Zelda style, where you played as a cartoonized man with a gun and you faced some cartoony monsters as well. You could enter into some caves and he constantly said something, I remember him saying something like "Oga Boga".

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The gsme in question might be part od the ps1 simple 1500 series releases
All i remember are coloured balls with numbers on them that you must drop on a scale i think and u had to move these balls around to clear the stage. It had a black background and a very simplistic presentation.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Trying to help a friend here. It doesn't ring any bells for me, however, he lived in South Africa at the time, and may have been known by a different name in NA.

"Trying to find any evidence of an arcade game I remember from before 1990 or so. I think it was called something like "Overkill" and featured a cabinet with two mounted machine guns (spade grips) and the gameplay (unusually) featured you driving away from the screen, making you the rear gunner.

The standout memory is that you could shoot nearly everything, including a monkey, who would throw coconuts at you, and if you shot him enough he would charge towards you and you could kill him."

UPDATE: Found it. Line of Fire.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Need a hand there. I'm trying to remember a game that I bought on PS3 (my PS3 is dead, btw), it was a rogue-lite + platformer + beat- them up game, in 2.5D. The style was quite unique because it was inspired by XIXth century kind of art, or aesthestic (or maybe it was the beginning of the XXth?).

It was done by a "latin" developper and by that I mean it was either spanish, mexican or maybe italian, something like that.

So, like I said, it was some kind of a beat them up, and it played like a Smash game: by pressing a direction plus the attack button, you were able to do a different move.

And the main hook of the game was that you were able to "be" the monster you defeated and played them, but only if your level was high enough. Your main character was a woman. And there was some a devil, wearing a tuxedo and using a violin.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Need a hand there. I'm trying to remember a game that I bought on PS3 (my PS3 is dead, btw), it was a rogue-lite + platformer + beat- them up game, in 2.5D. The style was quite unique because it was inspired by XIXth century kind of art, or aesthestic (or maybe it was the beginning of the XXth?).

It was done by a "latin" developper and by that I mean it was either spanish, mexican or maybe italian, something like that.

So, like I said, it was some kind of a beat them up, and it played like a Smash game: by pressing a direction plus the attack button, you were able to do a different move.

And the main hook of the game was that you were able to "be" the monster you defeated and played them, but only if your level was high enough. Your main character was a woman. And there was some a devil, wearing a tuxedo and using a violin.

I never played it (I was always interested in it), but it sounds like Abyss Odyssey to me.

It's on PS4 now with an enhanced version, as well as the original on PC and 360.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I never played it (I was always interested in it), but it sounds like Abyss Odyssey to me.

It's on PS4 now with an enhanced version, as well as the original on PC and 360.

Thx, that's it! It's one of the rare rogue-lite I was able to complete. Not an exceptionnal game, but I did have some fun with it , at least enough to unlock all the characters (and the tree/golem was my favorite to finish the game, it was very powerful).

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
There was a kick starter a while back for an 2D action adventure game featuring a female character. The trailer was pretty emotional. I can't remember if it was a metroidvania or not. It was a side scrolling game so no top down. I don't know if it was ever released. Please help!

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
There was a kick starter a while back for an 2D action adventure game featuring a female character. The trailer was pretty emotional. I can't remember if it was a metroidvania or not. It was a side scrolling game so no top down. I don't know if it was ever released. Please help!

Heart Forth, Alicia? I had totally forgotten about this game, by the way...

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

That honestly reads like StarCraft......it can't be that easy, is it?

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Trying to remember this obscure arcade cabinet (I think?) game from 90s. It's a side scroller beat em up (or shoot) that takes place in space or alien ship. I remember you could play co-op as two player.

I'm 100% positive it's not contra and alien vs predator.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Trying to remember this obscure arcade cabinet (I think?) game from 90s. It's a side scroller beat em up (or shoot) that takes place in space or alien ship. I remember you could play co-op as two player.

I'm 100% positive it's not contra and alien vs predator.

You sure about the beat em up part?
Could it be more of a run & gun?
And you mean there are levels in space/alien ship or the whole game is on an alien ship?

Captain commando, battle circuit, Bucky O'Hare in case of beat em up.
Cyber Lip or even Thunder Hoop 2 in case of run&gun?

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing a motocross game at a friend's house, it was a one time rental, on his ps one. I remember a track where you race in some kind of forest/jungle and there was a waterfall. I cant remember the name :(

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Early to mid 90's on a system that was not a Nintendo, could be on 3DO or something like that, it was a fighting Game, only fighter I remember was a black man with a white shirt and necktie, and some kind of stage that looked like a wooden deck or pier, anyone remember?

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Early to mid 90's on a system that was not a Nintendo, could be on 3DO or something like that, it was a fighting Game, only fighter I remember was a black man with a white shirt and necktie, and some kind of stage that looked like a wooden deck or pier, anyone remember?

Way of the Warrior on 3DO.

Fox is who you're thinking of (try about 20 minutes into the video).

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I've got one I've never been able to find but I think it's my own fault as there are many on the list that are in the maybe pile. It was on a sega platform, either Genesis or Master System, I believe Master System but I'm not certain. It was a zelda-like but featured text boxes and dialogue with at least on area where you could interact with another character.

Last edited:

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Genesis game. It was a sort of turn-based RPG/strategy game, but instead of having characters you had basically different units - dragons, soldiers, magicians. Each group of units had a number in the corner of it showing you how many of that particular unit you had remaining. You could move them around spots on a battlefield, a limited number of spaces per turn.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got one I've never been able to find but I think it's my own fault as there are many on the list that are in the maybe pile. It was on a sega platform, either Genesis or Master System, I believe Master System but I'm not certain. It was a zelda-like but featured text boxes and dialogue with at least on area where you could interact with another caracter.
Golden Axe Warrior?

Genesis game. It was a sort of turn-based RPG/strategy game, but instead of having characters you had basically different units - dragons, soldiers, magicians. Each group of units had a number in the corner of it showing you how many of that particular unit you had remaining. You could move them around spots on a battlefield, a limited number of spaces per turn.
Warsong?

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
A Eastern Themed Super Nintendo game.

2D sidescrolling game with bosses at the end of each level.

The 4th, 5th and 6th levels were similar to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels respectively, but much harder and with different bosses.

I don't remember the first boss, they were really easy.

The second boss was like a hopping rock creature, kind of reminded me of a thwomp from Mario lol.

3rd boss was a significant difficulty spike for me, they were some sort of mud monster that you fought in a shallow pool of mud.

4th boss was a Kappa like creature would emerge from a pool liquid surrounding you, and there was a solid platform in the middle of the arena.

5th was a Dogo like creature at first, but then they shift into some sort of groos slime creature after you destroy their armor.

6th boss was a sort of dark knight warrior guy. Don't remember too much about them.

The seventh level was HARD.
I never beat it.
First section was a breeze, but the second area was some punishing platforming on a bunch skulls mounted on pikes.
I never beat that part...
For some reason I remember the seventh level was named to be some type of prison?
I'm not sure.

Please help, I've been trying to identify this game for over a decade!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I've got one I've never been able to find but I think it's my own fault as there are many on the list that are in the maybe pile. It was on a sega platform, either Genesis or Master System, I believe Master System but I'm not certain. It was a zelda-like but featured text boxes and dialogue with at least on area where you could interact with another caracter.

Could it be Golvellius: Valley of Doom?

Or Ys: The Vanished Omens?

Last edited: