• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I have had flashes of this game in the back of my mind for maybe around 15 years, and I don't have much to go on. Thanks in advance.
This is probably a MS-DOS game, since I remember playing it on a friends pc in the mid to late 90s. 2D platformer/sidescroller, really colorful with lots of vegetation filled levels, but that could just be the first level that I remember. I think you fought ZOMBIES and you could climb long ladders.
You play either as a guy or a girl. Not sure. That's it.

Could it be Yo! Joe?

I remember there was a PC port. One place where it falls down is that the the two players pick different characters, but they're both male - but I thought that maybe if you didn't know that you might reasonably think "Nat" is short for Natalie.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
There was a game shown at E3 early last gen that had the premise of "what if the Roman Empire never collapsed" and it took place in a fictional near-future.

It was like a sci-fi shooter I think? With futuristic Roman soldiers?

I don't think it ever came out and just kinda faded from memory but I think about it often and can't remember what it was called.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was this racing type game on C64. Top down and you weren't really racing other but you had to avoid things like oil spills and I believe you couldn't hit the side of the track or you lost. I just was thinking of this the other day and cannot remember what it was called.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Remember playing a PC demo for a futuristic action submarine game about 96/97

It wasn't a realistic sub game, more like descent or terminal velocity underwater, there are a few games that fit this basic concept around this time, but one thing this one had was the ability to surface and drive about on the water like a speedboat, the game tried to split the objectives between above and below water targets from what I remember

A few sub games spring to mind:

Archimedian Dynasty?
The sequel series, AquaNox
SubWar 2050
Sub Culture
Bullfrog had a game called Creation that was never released, but an early prototype demo did appear, so *possibly* that.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There was this racing type game on C64. Top down and you weren't really racing other but you had to avoid things like oil spills and I believe you couldn't hit the side of the track or you lost. I just was thinking of this the other day and cannot remember what it was called.

Oooh, tons fit the bill here.

Two likely suspects are the Sprint series (Super Sprint, Championship Sprint)...
LecGhDV.png

... and Supercars.
CB2ZQLL.png

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The "not really racing" part makes me think you mean LED Storm:

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oooh, tons fit the bill here.

Two likely suspects are the Sprint series (Super Sprint, Championship Sprint)...
LecGhDV.png

... and Supercars.
CB2ZQLL.png
The "not really racing" part makes me think you mean LED Storm:

No it was much more basic looking than these. It must have been very early on in the Commadore's life cycle.

Edit: I might be misremembering, perhaps you were racing one other car.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
No it was much more basic looking than these. It must have been very early on in the Commadore's life cycle.

I mean, there were tons of generic games of this nature, often in introduction to programming books:

gwYmkxZ.png

...where it basically just generates a wobbly track that you have to avoid the edges of and the occasional in-track obstacle. It's not something like that, is it? If so it'd be very hard to pick out the specific one you're after, because they're all fundamentally the same!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Rally Speedway had you racing one other car. I think your car blew up if you went off track and you lost if the other car got too far in front, like in the old Micro Machines games.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there were tons of generic games of this nature, often in introduction to programming books:

gwYmkxZ.png

...where it basically just generates a wobbly track that you have to avoid the edges of and the occasional in-track obstacle. It's not something like that, is it? If so it'd be very hard to pick out the specific one you're after, because they're all fundamentally the same!

Yeah, it is something very similar to this but I don't think this is quite it. I remember red narrow portions of the track you had to squeeze through. Hell that might be it though, I was really young and can't fully remember. That crashing sound sounds so familiar.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
A few sub games spring to mind:

Archimedian Dynasty?
The sequel series, AquaNox
SubWar 2050
Sub Culture
Bullfrog had a game called Creation that was never released, but an early prototype demo did appear, so *possibly* that.

None of these as far as I can tell unfortunately. Some pretty close looking ones, so might be something like Archimedian Dynasty and my memory of playing a unfinished demo of it is a bit fuzzy

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the other replies, you also have maybe Run the Gauntlet which is based off a tv show and is partly a racing game.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Remember playing a PC demo for a futuristic action submarine game about 96/97

It wasn't a realistic sub game, more like descent or terminal velocity underwater, there are a few games that fit this basic concept around this time, but one thing this one had was the ability to surface and drive about on the water like a speedboat, the game tried to split the objectives between above and below water targets from what I remember

Might be Tigershark, came out on PS1 as well.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the other replies, you also have maybe Run the Gauntlet which is based off a tv show and is partly a racing game.

I was familiar with the game (and a huge fan of the TV show) but I'd never played it, which means I'd never seen the loading screen - and I am just delighted by the cheesiness of the Martin Shaw depiction with speech bubble!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Edit: sorry I had this saved from this morning. I've found the name finally, it's Konami's CHEQUERED FLAG!

I've been chasing this racer for a while, I used to play it as 10y old at the arcade so I guess '86/'88? 2D top down racing game, cab came with a wheel similar to Super Sprint (so no turning ° lock, ) and High/Low gear stick, there was also a version with a joystick and buttons for the cheapass edition I figure.

Not a racetrack with fixed screen, but vertical scrolling on a long road from point A to B iirc.
You'd start and you'd race against time and against cpu cars, with arrow signs appearing on top to warn you about turns coming. Weather change, and also time of the day with a section with night driving where you'd have headlights on. Also a chance to pitstop (which would repair the car but lose you precious time) when near a checkpoint and there were these cool zooming in and out effects, oh yeah now I remember the intro with a bird view of the starting line zooming in to your car, was awesome. I've never seen it in any collection or console releases...

the game I'm talking about is much more graphically complex than Konami's Road Fighter,

Anyone here knows what's the name of the game I'm talking about???
I'm not sure if Konami are the makers... or maybe TAITO... I don't know!
. The turning arrow signs work like the Gaelco Neo-Geo racers.

Edit: have some videos below! I really really hope it gets an ACA release down the line because I'm sure there was a cheapskate/bootleg(?) version around that replaced the wheel with a joystick and the Gear Shifter with 2 buttons. It can work fine without an unlocked wheel (something that Atari's Super Sprint cannot)

It's still as awesome as I remember and I assure you it looks much better on the big screen, TATEd.... the zooming, the handling, the night driving and rain... please, please make an ACA release!

CHEQUERED FLAG (Konami 1988)

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's the right place to ask because I think the game probably isn't out yet.

I saw a game trailer during E3 2018. It's first person shooter with dark supernatural stuff. I think it might be set at Victoria era? In the gamplay the protagonist used a revolver and had very fancy dash ability. I think he was fighting a witch or werewolf, something like that. I was hyped about the game but since then I never heard any updates at all.

Anybody here can help me find the name of this game?

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure if it's the right place to ask because I think the game probably isn't out yet.

I saw a gamer trailer during E3 2018. It's first person shoot with dark supernatural stuff. I think it might be set at Victoria era? In the gamplay the protagonist used a revolver and had very fancy dash ability. I think he was fighting a witch or werewolf, something like that. I was hyped about the game but since then I never heard any updates at all.

That sounds a lot like one of the Dishonored games, or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2, but the last Dishonored came out in 2017, and Bloodlines 2 was revealed in 2019, so neither add up... are you sure the trailer date is correct?

Edit: or it could be Call of Cthulhu or The Sinking City, maybe?

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Re: CHEQUERED FLAG

Dash Kappei That was one I asked about on the old site a long time ago, someone managed to find it eventually, amazing game!

Haha high five mate, that's neat!
I too remember asking about the game before at the old place... it might even have been on this very same thread('s title)! Tho nobody managed to find it for me. I know what I'll be playing next time I set up MAME :P hopefully it gets an official ACA release soon, I feel like there's a chance considering that Road Fighter just came out and Konami is finally fully on board with Hamster on Switch and PS4 (afaik Xbox and PC only get the ACA Neo-Geo titles and not the original Arcade Archives series)

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds a lot like one of the Dishonored games, or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2, but the last Dishonored came out in 2017, and Bloodlines 2 was revealed in 2019, so neither add up... are you sure the trailer date is correct?

Edit: or it could be Call of Cthulhu or The Sinking City, maybe?
Pretty sure it's not Dishonored or Msquerade : Bloodlines 2. And I don't think it's one of the Cthulhu games either, as from the gameplay trailer it appeared as a combat heavy game.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I saw a gamer trailer during E3 2018. It's first person shoot with dark supernatural stuff. I think it might be set at Victoria era? In the gamplay the protagonist used a revolver and had very fancy dash ability. I think he was fighting a witch or werewolf, something like that. I was hyped about the game but since then I never heard any updates at all.

Witchfire?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Question of my own:

It's probably early or mid-nineties. I think it was a sprite-based isometric strategy/tactics game. I can't remember if it was realtime or turn-based, though.

You played a squad of robots or guys in armour, I can't remember which. They were mostly red, and I think there were only three or so of them. It definitely wasn't bulky armour, so I lean towards them being robots. I believe the main mechanic was capturing and holding flags, or something like that. The mission areas had different levels of sloped elevation, and I remember them either being grassy or snowy.

The box art had one of the red guys on it, and I think the game maybe went by two different names, either regionally or for some other reason. It was definitely on a PC Gamer cover disc at one point, as that's my only real exposure to it.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Question of my own:

It's probably early or mid-nineties. I think it was a sprite-based isometric strategy/tactics game. I can't remember if it was realtime or turn-based, though.

You played a squad of robots or guys in armour, I can't remember which. They were mostly red, and I think there were only three or so of them. It definitely wasn't bulky armour, so I lean towards them being robots. I believe the main mechanic was capturing and holding flags, or something like that. The mission areas had different levels of sloped elevation, and I remember them either being grassy or snowy.

The box art had one of the red guys on it, and I think the game maybe went by two different names, either regionally or for some other reason. It was definitely on a PC Gamer cover disc at one point, as that's my only real exposure to it.

Sounds kind of like Z.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question of my own:

Probably not it, but could it possibly be Grid Runner? It doesn't fit exactly but it does have two titles for different regions and the characters are kinda armored.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Probably not it, but could it possibly be Grid Runner? It doesn't fit exactly but it does have two titles for different regions and the characters are kinda armored.

Hrm, no, not that one, either, I'm afraid.

Graphically it was closer to Diablo 2 or Crusader, I think. Much closer, isometric, and the main characters were rendered sprites, I think.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Question of my own:

Warhammer® 40,000: Chaos Gate?
Gender Wars?

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I remember a game in the 90'
It's on Pc, 3D.
It's start when your plane crash on an island. You found a machete, a health pack and probably some other things.

I don't remember what enemies you encounter. I think i stop playing it cause my pc was too weak and it crash a lot.

Edit: for a reason now google help me find it. It was Isle of the dead.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Question of my own:

It's not a strategy game but this description is making me think of Crusader: No Remorse!
220px-Crusader_-_No_Remorse_cover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
Question of my own:

Wasn't one of the Incubation titles was it?

Edit: I couldn't get the picture to imbed but this link might jog your memory.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's not a strategy game but this description is making me think of Crusader: No Remorse!
220px-Crusader_-_No_Remorse_cover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Wasn't one of the Incubation titles was it?

Edit: I couldn't get the picture to imbed but this link might jog your memory.

Nope! Unfortunately, neither of those.

It was closer in looks to Crusader, but definitely not Crusader. I'm fairly sure you controlled a squad of three or so characters, and they weren't as Boba Fett-ish distinct as the Crusader armour. I remember them being more of the "blocks on pipes" school of robot design.

I'm pretty sure the engine wasn't 3D. I think the camera was locked in place, and it didn't have that chunky 90's polygon look.

The environments were more naturalistic, too. I think I remember lots of pine trees.

Mar 29, 2018
So I'm thinking about a game which has wires behind walls and you can rewire/change stuff using it.

I know Gunpoint does that, and it's fantastic, but I'm thinking of something else, more recent I think (so released 2013-2019)

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Question of my own:

I know it's probably not but X-Com: Apocalypse sounds a little bit like it.

exofrenon

Mar 30, 2019
I remember playing this game at a friends house in early 2000's. It was a 3rd person adventure on PC, probably set in ancient Greece (we were calling it The Odyssey but I am not sure if it was that, the existence of AC: Odyssey doesn't help with google search ). The protagonist was a young man with blonde or brown hair, shoulder length or something. I remember at some point you were in a jail cell and another you were carrying a rug on your shoulder.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing this game at a friends house in early 2000's. It was a 3rd person adventure on PC, probably set in ancient Greece (we were calling it The Odyssey but I am not sure if it was that, the existence of AC: Odyssey doesn't help with google search ). The protagonist was a young man with blonde or brown hair, shoulder length or something. I remember at some point you were in a jail cell and another you were carrying a rug on your shoulder.

Sounds like it might be Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Odyssey-_The_Search_for_Ulysses.jpg

**beated**

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I need a PC 3D platformers expert here. :P

I saw one of these on my Steam client the day before yesterday, but I forgot to add it to my wishlist, and I've been looking for it since, I feel like I've literally wasted hours searching for it, it's driving me crazy at this point. I tried the 3D Platformer tag, the term, the everything, but nope. It's like it never existed.

And all I can remember from its trailer is that it was very colorful and that the character precisely jumped between floating objects, one of these objects was probably a huge hot dog. And there was a negative review complaining about its difficultly and bad play testing or something.

I know, that's too broad, but hey no harm in trying.

Last edited:

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
I need a PC 3D platformers expert here. :P

I saw one of these on my Steam client the day before yesterday, but I forgot to add it to my wishlist, and I've been looking for it since, I feel like I've literally wasted hours searching for it, it's driving me crazy at this point. I tried the 3D Platformer tag, the term, the everything, but nope. It's like it never existed.

And all I can remember from its trailer is that it was very colorful and that the character precisely jumped between floating objects, one of these objects was probably a huge hot dog. And there was a negative review complaining about its difficultly and bad play testing or something.

I know, that's too broad, but hey no harm in trying.
Lovely Planet?

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 27, 2017

I saw a game trailer during E3 2018. It's first person shooter with dark supernatural stuff. I think it might be set at Victoria era? In the gamplay the protagonist used a revolver and had very fancy dash ability. I think he was fighting a witch or werewolf, something like that. I was hyped about the game but since then I never heard any updates at all.

Witchfire?

Edit - never mind, I should have read more before replying.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit of this weird action game from a Sierra shareware disc back when I was a kid in the late 90s. I can't remember much except that the game was a side-scroller, with a lot of verticality, a very gritty and grimy aesthetic, and I think it was playable co-op. The level was something like a dilapidated factory or underground complex.

edit: oh fuck after all these years I think I've found it myself
Hunter Hunted

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I remember playing a 3d game on PC set in a sort of medieval fantasy world. It was probably in the early 2000s or late 90s.

There were at least two game modes: adventure mode in which you maybe started in some kind of a cave (but I'm not sure) and then this survival fighting kind of mode, in which enemies spawned constantly and in increasing numbers and you had to kill them for as long as you could (I don't know if it ever actually stopped other than you dying).

At least in the survival mode I think you were able to choose a character. One of the characters was an ogre, I think it was a large blue humanoid creature. I remember having a lot of fun beating skeletons with it in the survival mode. I think the ogre could have at least a wooden club as a weapon.

At least one of the maps in the survival mode (I can't remember for sure if there were multiple maps to choose from) was a lava pit in which you had a small platform of ground in the middle of lava.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing a 3d game on PC set in a sort of medieval fantasy world. It was probably in the early 2000s or late 90s.

There were at least two game modes: adventure mode in which you maybe started in some kind of a cave (but I'm not sure) and then this survival fighting kind of mode, in which enemies spawned constantly and in increasing numbers and you had to kill them for as long as you could (I don't know if it ever actually stopped other than you dying).

At least in the survival mode I think you were able to choose a character. One of the characters was an ogre, I think it was a large blue humanoid creature. I remember having a lot of fun beating skeletons with it in the survival mode. I think the ogre could have at least a wooden club as a weapon.

At least one of the maps in the survival mode (I can't remember for sure if there were multiple maps to choose from) was a lava pit in which you had a small platform of ground in the middle of lava.
Die by the Sword?

220px-Die_by_the_Sword.jpg

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Sega game where you platformed as a red coin with sunglasses and there's a level on a beach! When I got a SEGA Megadrive as a kid that's one of the games I remember my Mum and Dad getting me!

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I am looking for an Amiga game which was a point and click adventure and it started out with you being a window cleaner of a skyscraper. You were in this crane elevator thingy which allows you to clean the windows from the outside. At this point I am not sure this game actually exists... 😅