• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Holy crap, never heard of this game and I thought I knew just about every PS1 SRPG... this game came out in 1999/2001 (JP/NA) and looks like this? ...How O_o

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
So I remember watching a trailer for a really obscure game that's releasing on Steam and Switch.

But I forgot the title and now I can't find it.

Here's what I remember:
  • It's a cutesy looking game.
  • It's in a magical forest (I think?)
  • It's about a little girl looking for magic ingredients for her grandfather (maybe?)
  • The girl has cat ears.
  • It's a 3D game.
Thank you for your time ☺

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So I remember watching a trailer for a really obscure game that's releasing on Steam and Switch.

But I forgot the title and now I can't find it.

Here's what I remember:
  • It's a cutesy looking game.
  • It's in a magical forest (I think?)
  • It's about a little girl looking for magic ingredients for her grandfather (maybe?)
  • The girl has cat ears.
Thank you for your time ☺

Fortune Summoners?
ss_6999a58aca1fb322faae68b3f45b734a7ea705ee.1920x1080.jpg

I haven't heard anything about a Switch release though.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Nope, neither of them.

I think it's worth to mention that what i meant by "heavily stylized" is really something in the lines of a cartoonish approach, tho the general setting and vibes fits what you showed me with Rune.

Still think it will be kind of a miracle to find it, since it feels like a very obscure title, but i'm getting a little bit more hopeful because it seems that with each guess we're getting something right about it, at least.

In any case, thanks!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, neither of them.

I think it's worth to mention that what i meant by "heavily stylized" is really something in the lines of a cartoonish approach, tho the general setting and vibes fits what you showed me with Rune.

Still think it will be kind of a miracle to find it, since it feels like a very obscure title, but i'm getting a little bit more hopeful because it seems that with each guess we're getting something right about it, at least.

In any case, thanks!

Mark of Kri is cartoony. But the dude mainly uses a sword. I was actually convinced it was that one, also from your level description. It had wide open levels with a lot of exploration. But if it's not the one, it's not the one.

I also thought about Viking: Battle for Asgard, but that's PS3.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NES game, horizontal shooter like Gradius, where you play as a hoverbike and there's a lot of colorful stones you need to dodge. It's very hard. Can't remember the name.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Mark of Kri is cartoony. But the dude mainly uses a sword. I was actually convinced it was that one, also from your level description. It had wide open levels with a lot of exploration. But if it's not the one, it's not the one.

I also thought about Viking: Battle for Asgard, but that's PS3.

Weirdly enough it does looks like Rune more, which i tried to focus replying above.

But yeah, i can 100% where you are coming from since it fits perfectly what i described as well.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Really need you help here, searched it by years but never find it.
PC game, it's a sort of tetris but in 3D with spinning cylindre gameplay, so you had to rotate that and push block down.

Can't remember if you had to make lines or columns to make points but yeah, that's roughly the game.

Thank you!

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
PC game, it's a sort of tetris but in 3D with spinning cylindre gameplay, so you had to rotate that and push block down.

Can't remember if you had to make lines or columns to make points but yeah, that's roughly the game.

Thank you!

Is it Klax?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you!

Are we talking a commercial release, or a smaller thing? There's Ben Joffe's "Torus" that seems to fit the bill, and it's about thirteen years old now.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Nope, it was full 3D but yeah, with blocks like this, not tetrominos.

Are we talking a commercial release, or a smaller thing? There's Ben Joffe's "Torus" that seems to fit the bill, and it's about thirteen years old now.
Almost sure it was a commercial release during the 2000s, but you nailed the concept, the game was like this but with full 3D graphic and an ancient setting.
As I said to the other person, they weren't proper tetraminos but more like stone blocks like in Klax. But yeah, you rotated the camera around the cylindre like this Torus.

I remember there was a "tower/towers" in the title but I'm not 100% sure and using that on google didn't helped.

Thanks <3

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you!
Sounds like one of the many Welltris or Blockout variants out there.

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, it was full 3D but yeah, with blocks like this, not tetrominos.

Almost sure it was a commercial release during the 2000s, but you nailed the concept, the game was like this but with full 3D graphic and an ancient setting.
As I said to the other person, they weren't proper tetraminos but more like stone blocks like in Klax. But yeah, you rotated the camera around the cylindre like this Torus.

I remember there was a "tower/towers" in the title but I'm not 100% sure and using that on google didn't helped.

Thanks <3

Like stonehenge?
I think I saw a clip of this on TV around 2000, but can't remember what it's called sorry :( Will try to find it

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
my brother found it!!!

It was called "Tower of The Ancients", here a video gameplay:

I even found a demo on FilePlanet XD
Have to say that it's still pretty fun.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I can't remember the name of a PC game from the 90s (possibly pre-Doom). I think it was an FPS set on a space station or something and I remember there were terminals where you got lore and story dumps. It's not System Shock

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Other Sci-Fi FPS include Blake Stone and Corridor 7, but those don't have any lore to speak of.
Yeah, it's definitely not those. If there aren't many other likely options it's probably Marathon. Just hard to remember since it was so long ago and I only played for a couple hours on a school computer (can't even remember if it was a Mac).

Oct 25, 2017
A friend asked for help finding a DOS game, here's the text she offered:

"Someone pls help me find a dos game
It was called Typey Wording, it was a typing game you got to from inside another dos typing game by typing "ReTypey Wording" (you had to type it just like that or the game would refuse to open it until you corrected yourself), and the graphics were similar to the Japan-only game Kotoba no Puzzle: Mojipittan
I don't remember the game you get to it from"

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
From the latest issue of Retro Gamer...any ideas guys? I presume this person is from the UK so it would be something released in Europe.

"In the late Nineties, maybe early Noughties, I remember playing a two-player lightgun game in the arcades with a friend of mine. The basic gist of the game was that you played two hitmen who didn't want to work for the boss anymore. The boss was at the top of this massive tower block, and told the guys they could leave but they had to fight off other hitmen on their way down (a bit like the movie The Raid).

If I remember right, the game had a Viewtiful Joe look to it (it was very colourful!). I've checked lots of online forums and apart from the usual Time Crisis no one knows what it was called. I seem to think it was something like Killer 7 or Super 6 but I'm not sure. It's bugging me as I'd like to see if there are any ports of it. Any ideas?"

The magazine suggests Golgo-13 but do say that's only a one-player game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have a weird amount of nostalgia for what I presume is one of the "Strike" games, but I've never been able to track down the precise one.

It was on the PlayStation I'm pretty sure, and it was almost an open-world where you flew your helicopter around doing miscellaneous tasks. I don't remember a central objective, but I could be wrong.

But the main thing I remember is you could blow up an old spooky mansion and lower a rope to rescue Dracula.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird amount of nostalgia for what I presume is one of the "Strike" games, but I've never been able to track down the precise one.

It was on the PlayStation I'm pretty sure, and it was almost an open-world where you flew your helicopter around doing miscellaneous tasks. I don't remember a central objective, but I could be wrong.

But the main thing I remember is you could blow up an old spooky mansion and lower a rope to rescue Dracula.
A quick google suggests that Soviet Strike has a mission called "Dracula Strike" so...that I guess?

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
NES game, horizontal shooter like Gradius, where you play as a hoverbike and there's a lot of colorful stones you need to dodge. It's very hard. Can't remember the name.
Seicross?

From the latest issue of Retro Gamer...any ideas guys? I presume this person is from the UK so it would be something released in Europe.

"In the late Nineties, maybe early Noughties, I remember playing a two-player lightgun game in the arcades with a friend of mine. The basic gist of the game was that you played two hitmen who didn't want to work for the boss anymore. The boss was at the top of this massive tower block, and told the guys they could leave but they had to fight off other hitmen on their way down (a bit like the movie The Raid).

If I remember right, the game had a Viewtiful Joe look to it (it was very colourful!). I've checked lots of online forums and apart from the usual Time Crisis no one knows what it was called. I seem to think it was something like Killer 7 or Super 6 but I'm not sure. It's bugging me as I'd like to see if there are any ports of it. Any ideas?"

The magazine suggests Golgo-13 but do say that's only a one-player game.

Golgo was single player and he didn't have a boss, so much as he took jobs from random people. Seems like any time he encountered another hitman, they did have to fight to the death, though. I looked at a list of arcade light gun games and nothing seems to fit this tower/hitman theme, as it seems like most went with this "terrorist need killed!" theme instead. But maybe it's a game that got a regional change? I'm curious to know this as well, now.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I think this was some Windows 95 game that came on an educational disc maybe, but I remember a video game where you had to clean windows that were covered in paint or something? Been trying to remember what it was for a while now.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NES game, top down vertical shump where you play as a soldier or a vehicle, can't remember now, and your special attack is a plane, first sighted with it's shadow, then later it destroys every enemy on screen, has limited use. It was hard as hell.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
NES game, top down vertical shump where you play as a soldier or a vehicle, can't remember now, and your special attack is a plane, first sighted with it's shadow, then later it destroys every enemy on screen, has limited use. It was hard as hell.

I remember thundercade/twin formation had a smart bomb like that.
It's a vertical shooter in which you control a motorbike / sidecar

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember thundercade/twin formation had a smart bomb like that.
It's a vertical shooter in which you control a motorbike / sidecar

Hell yeah! That's the one!

Now:

SNES 2D platformer where you use sports balls as weapons agains your foes. Tennis ball was the first ball and basketball was the most powerful attack.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
So I have very clear memories of an arcade game I used to play back in the early 2000's (maybe late 90's?), yet I can't recall anything specific about it nor have I seen it ever again since then. I think it was a 2D platformer (SNES/PS1 graphics?) featuring some sort of biped fox that ran around, sometimes breaking boxes. I'm pretty sure it's not Crash Bandicoot but maybe there was a resemblance there.

It stings because I used to play tons of arcades back in the day and I remember all about them (Tekken, Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble, etc), but this one eludes me.

EDIT: Also, the level design was similar to Sonic the Hedgehog, iirc.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
So I have very clear memories of an arcade game I used to play back in the early 2000's (maybe late 90's?), yet I can't recall anything specific about it nor have I seen it ever again since then. I think it was a 2D platformer (SNES/PS1 graphics?) featuring some sort of biped fox that ran around, sometimes breaking boxes. I'm pretty sure it's not Crash Bandicoot but maybe there was a resemblance there.

It stings because I used to play tons of arcades back in the day and I remember all about them (Tekken, Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble, etc), but this one eludes me.

Maybe it's not a fox and the game is magical cat adventure?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to remember a game from the early 2000's I think. I believe it was on Dreamcast, online, arena shooter (first person?), bright colors, had a flamethrower, controlled humans (not aliens or vehicles or mechs). I don't remember much else and searching lists of Dreamcast games with cover art hasn't jogged my memory. Pretty sure it isn't Quake based on the screenshots I could find. At the time I wasn't gaming on PC and didn't have the online adapter for PS2 so I'm really at a loss trying to put a name to the memories.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to remember a game from the early 2000's I think. I believe it was on Dreamcast, online, arena shooter (first person?), bright colors, had a flamethrower, controlled humans (not aliens or vehicles or mechs). I don't remember much else and searching lists of Dreamcast games with cover art hasn't jogged my memory. Pretty sure it isn't Quake based on the screenshots I could find. At the time I wasn't gaming on PC and didn't have the online adapter for PS2 so I'm really at a loss trying to put a name to the memories.
Sounds like Outtrigger.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Could be Outrigger? That's an arena shooter with fairly colourful graphics (especially for the time), with human characters and a flamethrower.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Outtrigger or Unreal Tournament?

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Outtrigger.

Could be Outrigger? That's an arena shooter with fairly colourful graphics (especially for the time), with human characters and a flamethrower.

It's definitely Outtrigger. I recognized the pickups right away (the big bullet and the large gold coins especially). I can't find any screens or videos of the map that I kind of remember but it's gotta be Outtrigger.

Thanks everyone!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So. Here's what I remember:

This was a game for DOS or early Windows
It was some sort of helicopter shoot-em-up
It was a side-scroller shmup specifically (not top down, definitely not isometric or polygons)
I believe the first couple levels were in the clouds and then around a city. I don't remember being good at it, but I was really young when I played it.

The game over sound was really memorable to me, because it sounded really goofy. I think it may very well have been this stock sound clip. I thought it was hilarious, but, again, really young.

I've asked around a few places. Nobody really seems to know.

Oh, for the record, I found this one. Finally. After decades of not actually being able to find it

It's specifically Iraq Attack for Mac, by Glenda Adams (unfortunately deadnamed in the title screen)

I had remembered my Dad saying that's what the game was called, but I didn't remember playing it on a Mac, though I'd never found it on any sites that compile DOS and early Windows videogames.

And yes, that stock sound clip IS in fact the game over sound effect from that game. Another mystery solved!