• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I was 7, you see. I had a PSX with a copy of Crash Bandicoot 2 and no memory card. I was not very good at games but even still, I tried every day to inch further and further in the game. Turtle Woods, done. Snow Go, gone, Hang Eight, great, and so forth. Finally with all stages cleared Cortex informs me of a boss, and I'm thinking holy shit, this is it. It took a few weeks, but I'm finally going to beat Crash Bandicoot 2! It took several tries, but I nailed Ripper Roo. Here comes the ending and credits!

and then

475px-WarpRoom_Pic02.jpg

I was awestruck. A whole new room. 5 brand new stages.

I felt of mix of excitement (at the game literally doubling in size in the span of a few seconds) and disappointment (knowing how difficult it was for me to get to this point and now having to redouble my efforts). Needless to say the excitement kicked in and continued playing, as well as finally getting a memory card and beating the game some weeks later.

In hindsight, I wasn't a very attentive kid since Cortex did make it pretty clear how I needed 25 crystals after all.

Anyone else experience something like this out of ignorance or the game either purposely or not obscuring it's true length?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest games are very big into this. 3 was probably the first one that did this. But others (VII, VIII, and XI spring immediately to mind) are also excellent examples.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Far Cry 3
After the first island was done, I was done with the game and didn' bother with the second island.. and there were some story reason too to that

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
GoW and Persona 5.

Loved both, but GoW dragged for me towards the end, and P5 could've cut a dungeon or two for sure.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Motherfucking Okami. Wasn't even at the halfway point when I first thought the game was wrapping up. This happened twice in my first playthrough.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest XI is the definition of this. You can spend nearly as much time playing the game after the credit roll as you did before it

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Xenoblade Chronicles. You get to what seems like an obvious final battle . . . and it's actually nowhere near the end. :p

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I will always think of Tales of the Abyss on this part.

I was gonna say Pokemon Gold/Silver, but that would count as post-game, no?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
For an already long and fun RPG, Dragon Quest XI does this to you, and it's a phenomenal transition! You think it's done, or at least nearly done, and you get redoubled stakes and a whole new adventure!

TWICE

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okami thread? Lol. Someone once joked Okami is a game so long and good that it really just gives you the sequel already at the mid-way point and keeps right on going.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Dragon Quest XI yet, but Dragon Quest VIII pulls off something fairly similar from the sounds of it.
Okami thread? Lol. Someone once joked Okami is a game so long and good that it really just gives you the sequel already at the mid-way point and keeps right on going.
As I understand it, Okami was actually a trilogy of games released as one.

Last edited:

Ravic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dragon Quest XI
Happened two times.

I thought "well, I am getting to the end" then "holy shit", that happened.
Then I was like "Wow, what a great game, I'm kind sad it's ending... HOLY SHIT! There's more?!"

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XI and VIII from what I remember is amazing at this. Tales of Abyss also had something that felt like that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okami is the king of this. I'd thought I'd beaten the game at least twice before realizing there was an entire new huge area with its own quests, enemies, bosses and so on for me to take on. That game was loaded with content.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I think it was Wild Arms where you played this fairly long section and the credits started rolling making you think that was it, then you realized it was only the intro and the real Wild Arms begins here.

Oct 30, 2017
RDR2 with its epilogue was really pushing it. I guess that's what happens when you have an incredibly ambitious team that gets a blank cheque.

The amount of times that Dutch says "one more score" becomes comical by the last time.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
FF3...except I didn't realize you had to die to the 'final boss' a few times and kept turning off my DS without getting to the 'game over' screen....had to google that one

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant. I thought the game would be over after i beat Rasputin, but little did i know about all the amazing content that would still await me.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Kid Icarus Uprising for sure. Just remember thinking "holy shit wait, it's still going" after defeating Medusa and seeing Hades out of nowhere.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Catherine did this where I thought I was pretty close to the end when it was around midnight, so I figured I'd stay up to finish it off.

Stayed up till like 4 am that day because it turns out there was an entire level past what I assumed was the end.

Then there's Persona 5, where the end turned out to be like 30 hours before the actual end.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Isolation. The game feels like it reaches a climax at least twice before the actual ending.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Resistance Retribution (PSP)
What I though was going to be the ending end up only being half the game. Man I should consider going back to replay it.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Witcher 3. There's a moment in that game where you legit think it's gonna cut for a sequel and yet it just keeps going and going.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
Okami for sure, literally had over half the game left when I thought I had beaten it

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2. I thought I would end the game at Drangleic Castle, but then found out that was like the halfway point of the game.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly the most important game design feature for me. A game should surprise you even at the end. That's why Pokémon GS is the GOAT

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest VII. God. The game never fucking ended.