• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Tales of... defined. All of these games have some epic amazing boss fight after a major story development where its clearly time to stop this bad guy, get transported to an epic battlefield in heaven or some nonsense, just for the game to be like, hah, nah we got 35 more hours friendo.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I only looked at the first page but i sae many people taking this thread negatively. So lets spin it in a positive one.
Nier automata
the game pulls that a few times actually. The first is when you finish route A and the game tells you "hey you can now replay the game" and you are getting excited to go through it again (even though route b was kind of disappointing)....
And then came route c. It was cool to see some continuation to the story and then everything goes bat shit insane and you see the platinum games present, im getting chills just writing this again, and you understand, that you have finally after who knows how many hours, finished the prologue. Such an amazing scene that opened up so much more of the story i could have never seen coming.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To echo the sentiments of other people here, Okami. At the beginning I was excited for it, but starts to get old after a while. Game is still awesome but goddamn facing Orochi that many times is fucking annoying.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight, the thread. Thought the game was a typical 8 hours metroidvania experience, at first.

40 hours later and I was still discovering new areas, bosses, NPCs, quests, lores...

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Rune Factory 4, also a very good example for a game with too much content.

Xenoblade, goes same as above: too much content and you expect the game to be over sooner.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 has its own sequel in the game. I really did not expect to go through so many areas and time skips in that game.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 has its own sequel in the game. I really did not expect to go through so many areas and time skips in that game.
It's three completely different stories in one game. It's bananas how unfocused that game's narrative is.

Granted, I still enjoyed it (in spite of how incredibly shallow it is), but man, compared to the first game's basically nonexistent story, GR2 was definitely overcompensating.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
It's three completely different stories in one game. It's bananas how unfocused that game's narrative is.

Granted, I still enjoyed it (in spite of how incredibly shallow it is), but man, compared to the first game's basically nonexistent story, GR2 was definitely overcompensating.
You're not wrong, but I kind of find that endearing haha. Like you can almost feel that they know they won't be getting any more games so they had to wrap up loose threads from the first game and also try to tie all its disparate bits together at the end

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Axiom Verge.

I never expected it to be anywhere near as huge as it actually is. There's so much to discover, so many areas, so many cool power-ups which find you that "ahhhh" moment when you think back to previous areas you want to get back to with your new power.

I completely underestimated how big it is and initially stopped playing after a few hours thinking I was near the end, only to return a good while later and find that I'd barely scratched the surface of just a small portion of the game.

It's such a good game.

Obviously since then we've had other similarly huge Metroidvanias like Hollow Knight but Axiom Verge is perfect because the back-tracking is fluid and never feels like a chore.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
[edit] I'm going to throw Persona 5 at the bus. That game definitely overstayed it's welcome with that extra ten hrs

Dragon Quest XI is the definition of this. You can spend nearly as much time playing the game after the credit roll as you did before it
I'm playing DQX1 right now. After I see credits roll I'm gonna peace out

Last edited: