• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
Okami is the right answer.

The beginning is a sore, I'm pretty sure a lot of people dropped it because of it's long intro and slow pacing, but for those that kept playing it sure is the game that keeps on giving.

When you start playing it you're playing some kind of prologue, you just don't know it yet, then when you finally kill the "final boss" and think it's the end (which would've been fine content wise), it's actually just the beginning!

Then you went on with the second act, kill all those demons and think "ok now I'm done with it", but it just doesn't end! There's more! And it just gets better!

When you finally slay the real baddie it kind of feel strange. Deep down you knew it was the end, but you feel like "That's it? Where is my next plot twist? What happens next? I need to know!". But that's it, that's the ending, there's nothing else to do except contemplate the final moments of the game while reflecting on everything you've just accomplished, specially if you done everything the game had to offer.

Now I kind of want to play it again...

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Dragon's Dogma:
Kill the final boss, finish the story... And then, begin the second half of the game.

Nier Automata:
You have to win it two times to unlock the final chapters of the game.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
FFVII. It was my first Final Fantasy game and first RPG.

Spent so much time in Midgar. I thought escaping Midgar was the main goal.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest VII. God. The game never fucking ended.
One of the worst contenders for sure. Also RDR2 in a bad way. Persona 5 also felt like it dragged on forever, but it got better again towards the end, so I have mixed feeling on that one. Dragon Quest XI really has a lot of endgame-content, too.
Dragon's Dogma:
Kill the final boss, finish the story... And then, begin the second half of the game.
Real Dragon's Dogma starts here. The best endgame and true ending.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of the Abyss. Only all of it was backtracking with hardly any fun to be had, and it almost soured the entire experience.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Alien: Isolation. It just ... never ends.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RDR2 with its epilogue was really pushing it. I guess that's what happens when you have an incredibly ambitious team that gets a blank cheque.

The amount of times that Dutch says "one more score" becomes comical by the last time.

As for Dutch, I'd say that was intentional. You are supposed to get fed up.

paradox85

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Dragon Quest VII. I recently finished it on 3DS, and though I knew the game was long, I didn't expect it to be that long. Talk about overstaying your welcome..

Also this thread reminds me I should really finish Okami.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Recently Divinity OS1. At around 60 hours I was just wrapping up Act 2. The story felt like it was hitting a proper end, and I would have felt satisfied given the massive zone areas I had fully wrung content out of.

Then as I was expecting credits, the game gives me a third massive act and another 40 hours of content. Not sure I was pleased entirely even if the content was solid, I had my fill and was ready to move on, but it threw me for a moment. I stuck it out and capped the game at around 100 hours.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nowadays I feel this way about most single player games. Padding everywhere, companies care a lot more about big numbers "A 40 hour GoW campaign!", than providing good pacing or tight experiences.

From recent memory, both RDR2 and DQ XI this year do exactly this, and in both games is a really bad thing.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For me it has to be Pokémon Gold/Silver.
After beating the initial Elite 4 you get to travel through an entire Region again.
Man, 12 year old me was blown away!

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Dying Light and Mordor both pulled the same trick where you think you're about to finish the map and then the story gives you a second one for no other reason than 'Hey, look how open-world our game is'

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Okami for sure.

Super Mario Land 3D was another one. I was disappointed at how easy it was when I finished the game... Only to realize the REAL game was just beginning. Definitely shot it up the list as one of my favorite platformers. I still can't beat that last level.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I remember this happened to me while plating the Last of Us. I thought the game was done and there were another snow segment with about 3 more hours to go.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Super Mario 3D Land.
You beat it, think its sadly a far to easy game... then suddenly its revealed that its been basicly just the first half so far. And it gets harder <3

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Lately, AC: Odyssey. That game is absolutely huge.
Also, I had a blast. The combat systems with the new RPG additions works really well.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Okami is the one that surprised me the most. And then DQXI. Dragon Quest got me good lol

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Dark Souls, after beating the Iron Golem. Not sure why I thought that was the end but I remember being really surprised when I had most of the game left to beat. I was pretty young and shit at games when i started DS so everything took ages. I had played for reaaaally long (we're talking more than 20 hours here) when i was done with Sens Fortress xD on my second playthrough i beat Sens Fortress in like two hours.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First time I played link to the past, I thought that after getting the master sword, would be all over. Oh boy.

Then the exact same thing happened while playing ocarina of Time, lol, although 6 dungeons are way more manageable than 8.

In both cases, I couldn't believe that there where so many dugeons yet to be explored in a world that I already knew.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Okami thread? Lol. Someone once joked Okami is a game so long and good that it really just gives you the sequel already at the mid-way point and keeps right on going.

I played it for the first time earlier this year, and I'd heard this comment a lot, but I don't *really* see it myself. That is, if it *was* broken down into two/three smaller games, I can't help but feel they'd be a bit narratively unsatisfying. Orochi's a good fight, but he doesn't feel climactic - there's too many dangling elements by that point in the story. People complain about how few dungeons exist in Majora's Mask as a full game, and that seems longer than the chunk of Okami up to the Moon Cave.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
Really good idea for a thread and I have one great example. When the original Tomb Raider came out, there was no precedent for how long they were. My brother was reading a magazine article about it as we were playing and he said that the game has 4 areas. We took this to mean the 4 areas in what turned out to be the first 'world'. So when it continued on after that and was 4 times the length we were utterly blown away. Amazing times that I'll never forget.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Tales of Vesperia did this to me. I thought I won and found out I had more than a few hours left. I was shocked lmao

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age: Inquisition. There's so much content up to the point where you first fight Corypheus, and the game just throws you into a battle with the villain, so you have this "This is the end, right?" feeling and start thinking that a lot of the stuff they showed before either got cut or you didn't find in the game.

And after this, the game just expands so much, I was actually a little overwhelmed but excited.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Dragon Quest VIII had you going through a shit ton of areas, but mever fully exploring them, and then there was a couple areas that you never step foot in. Right before what is conceived as the final boss or close enough, you start thinking what the hell I haven't even explored the whole map. Then you beat em and it just keeps on giving and giving and giving.