• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Okami obviously.

I also remember thinking that I was near to the end of Beyond Good & Evil when it sent me on a gargantuan fetch quest and I quit.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This happened really recently to me with Okami HD, but not in a positive way.

I got to
the first Orochi fight and beat him, assuming that was the end of the game
I was glad, as I was pretty much "done" with the game. I'd gotten as much as I wanted out of it, and tbh it was kind of a struggle to even get there, as I found the game incredibly slow moving both mechanically and story-wise. I love the presentation, the characters, etc. - but it's just not the game for me anymore. Anyway, that WASN'T the ending of the game, and I read up online and found out I was only about 1/3 done. I uninstalled it from my Switch and I'm not sure I'll ever return to it.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Tales of the Abyss. Holy crap, what a slog. I thought I was going to the "final dungeon" to beat the "big bad", then pulled up a walkthrough and found I was only 60% through the game.

Dropped the game. Enough is enough when you're not having fun.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As much as I loved Shadow of War, that was the epitome of this. The story literally comes to its conclusion in a satisfying way and then the game is like "just kidding, here are four to five more hours of stuff to work through that will require another two to three hour grind to be able to access.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Alien: Isolation is the answer for me. That game is legitimately like 10 hours too long. There comes a point where you stop tip-toeing around and being scared of the Alien and you just start sprinting around not giving a fuck because you just want it to end. I'll never understand the insane praise for the game, but to be fair, most of the time when I see people praising it, it comes with the caveat of them never having finished the game because it was too scary.

I'd also like to add the first Ni no Kuni. There are like 5 different "final" bosses in the game. I honestly wouldn't have been mad if the game actually ended when you beat Shadar and gives you a fakeout ending. The White Witch is an afterthought for most of the game and kinda feels shoehorned in at the end.

Last edited:

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my friends were playing through Final Fantasy VII together after school (3rd/4th grade or something) in the 90s.

When we were fighting the scorpion boss at the beginning (the first boss, I think?) we were certain – certainthat this was the end of the first disc.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Story wise that was the point,
that Dutch was never gonna settle down and there will always be "one last score."

I honestly enjoyed the epilogue and it had some really great set pieces with fun music. However, epilogue wasn't a good choice of words honestly.
Yeah I'm still playing through the epilogue and loving it but they definitely should have done a better split.
You don't get much time to appreciate the ending because you're straight back with John. They should have rolled credits and then come back with the epilogue.

It's insane how long this is though, this would be a $10-15 DLC for most other games and when I realised the entirety of RDR's map is here, hoooollyyy shit. Never bothered venturing past Blackwater and have managed to avoid spoilers for everything thankfully so that was a nice surprise.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Yeah I'm still playing through the epilogue and loving it but they definitely should have done a better split.
You don't get much time to appreciate the ending because you're straight back with John. They should have rolled credits and then come back with the epilogue.

It's insane how long this is though, this would be a $10-15 DLC for most other games and when I realised the entirety of RDR's map is here, hoooollyyy shit. Never bothered venturing past Blackwater and have managed to avoid spoilers for everything thankfully so that was a nice surprise.
Yep, I agree, the credits should of rolled then to let the player take in more of the ending. I know I was hit with the feels, but had to put them to the side because epilogue showed up immediately.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sotn is a good one. I haven't played RDR2 but RDR is another one, and I'm not even talking about the epilogue. I thought I was about done with the game and then you get to Mexico. Ugh, game was overlong

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Tales of Symphonia when you realize theres a whole nother alternate world that you have to explore and you were only halfdone with the game. Teenager Pancho was absolutely blown away

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dragons Dogma. When I realized the post game had new quests, new enemy locations, and new enemies I realized I just started the real game. That on top of Bitterblack Isle makes it the game of last gen for me

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Okami thread? Lol. Someone once joked Okami is a game so long and good that it really just gives you the sequel already at the mid-way point and keeps right on going.
I haven't played Dragon Quest XI yet, but Dragon Quest VIII pulls off something fairly similar from the sounds of it.

As I understand it, Okami was actually a trilogy of games released as one.
The Okami trilogy is the only way I refer to the game.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
6th Stratum in Etrian Odyssey.

What an asskicking wall that was. You'll spend more time there than the other 5 stratums lol.

Deleted member 1265

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At launch I somehow got through RE6 without hearing that Ada had a campaign. By this point I was kind of already over the game (it grew on me after awhile but the campaign is still really iffy) so it wasn't the greatest news. Add in the fact that Ada's campaign was probably the worst of the 4 and heavily reused bits from the other ones constantly and I was left really sour for awhile.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
CTRL-F "Final Fantasy 7"

Im Disappointed.
My 8 Year old me was flashed when he got out of Midgar. The huuuuuge World Map was the last thing i expected back then as it was my very first RPG.

I think I was 11 when I first played FFVII and I got stuck in Migar for about 25 hours because I was not a very bright kid. Also got shocked by the overworld size.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any new examples to add but this is one of my pet peeves: the game sets up the escalation to the "final" battle and then extends it indefinitely. It really ruins the "This is it" adrenaline rush.

I don't mind long games, but they still need proper pacing and not just endless extensions. See Return of the King for a similar example in movies (though not as bad)

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being amazed at how long Tales of Symphonia went on, and how many plot turns the game took. Now knowing the general length of the Tales games, I'm not surprised by them anymore.

Most recently: Dragon Quest XI
The game just keeps going with some amazing content post-"ending". I wish I could forget all of DQXI and replay it, I enjoyed it that much.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Discovering Kanto in Pokemon Silver as a kid.

This will forever be the best example of this feeling. I can't explain the magic child me felt from this. Might be my first experience with video game nostalgia and possibly even just nostalgia in general. Getting to go back to Kanto but everything's had moved on 3 years... new music... new layouts of routes and towns. Somehow made me miss my time with Red and Blue knowing that I'd never experience the emotions I had playing Pokémon for the first time again.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Witcher 3. It was 9pm, I was so sure I was about to start the final quest and wrap the game up in one sitting. Some 7 hours later I had to reluctantly save and leave the rest for another day. That end sequence just kept going.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Arriving to Skellige in Witcher 3. It felt like it was winding down and then they're just like nope here's a whole new massive landmass to explore. It blew my mind.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
CTRL-F "Final Fantasy 7"

Im Disappointed.
My 8 Year old me was flashed when he got out of Midgar. The huuuuuge World Map was the last thing i expected back then as it was my very first RPG.
I was coming here to say exactly this, and also Takes of Symphonia.

As a kid I had rented FF7 but when I got out of Midgar had to have my parents buy it for me lol.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
Gravity Rush 2. It's like they knew they won't be able to make a sequel so they gave us two games in one.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 are definitely the most recent ones that come to mind. Both games felt like they were winding down only to reveal that they actually had about 10 hours left.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Witcher 3. There's a moment in that game where you legit think it's gonna cut for a sequel and yet it just keeps going and going.

This. I had played so much of the game before reaching the Skellige islands, that I felt it was material enough for another sequel. I haven't touched the expansions yet, there's just so damn much content in the Witcher 3. I recommend it to anyone on a budget.

Nov 4, 2017
Original RDR.

*Bittersweet song plays*
"Oh cool, guess I gotta ride home to get the final cut scene... Wait, there's a whole 'nother act? I gotta mince about on a bunch of fetch quests with a bossy wife, an insipid boy and a syphilitic old coot? Ugh... "

To be fair, the actual ending was amazeballs.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
B9s7XFE.png

Since people already mentioned Okami, the other example that came to mind was Little King's Story on the Wii. A game that keeps pulling back its worldmap every time you're about to clear it. It tricks you into thinking everything you see is what you'll get by referring to your current objective as "complete world domination". Since the game is basically about a childish take on politics, it kind of works. It also helped that it was a niche title with a modest budget, so it was hard to guess how much game would actually be in there.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
GoW, RDR2, Chrono Trigger, Darksiders 2-3, Souls games.

I love being maxed out and exploring the worlds for more secrets after Im done with the story

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I felt this way with Spider-Man last month. It was fun for awhile but I was sick of it by the time the credits finally decided to roll.

Thank god the web swinging was so wonderful. Otherwise I might have dropped it before finishing it.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I thought Nier Automata was over after Route A cause I managed to play it without having any prior knowledge. I thought Route B was just going to be a New Game+ type of thing and then Route C came and it blew my mind seeing playing all this new content in a game I thought I finished like 10 hours ago.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
001.png

Dark Souls 2.

And not in a good way. It should have ended when i thought it would. It sucked after that.
Huh, I don't know I feel like the second half is somewhat better made ? Idk. The game is not that greal overall but DLC is pretty good too.
GoW, RDR2, Chrono Trigger, Darksiders 2-3
Chrono Trigger is a great one. You finally fight Magus, and then...

Dragon's dogma is good too, although without DLC the post game is meh. But the DLC adds a lot of shit. Kinda sucks the very end game is balanced poorly.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my friends were playing through Final Fantasy VII together after school (3rd/4th grade or something) in the 90s.

When we were fighting the scorpion boss at the beginning (the first boss, I think?) we were certain – certainthat this was the end of the first disc.

Heh I felt the same when i was leaving midgar. I was like "i guess i gotta get FF8 to see what happens next" like a dope lmao. to be fair i was like 8 and it took me about 19201 hours just to get there.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Symphony of the Night and more recently Dragon Quest XI.

But one that really surprised me as kid was A Link to the Past.

"There is another WORLD??" Woah...."

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Far Cry 2 Thought I was close to finishing the game, then it was revealed to be only one half of the map!