• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Publisher Electronic Arts and developer BioWare are seriously considering using Unreal Engine for the next game in the Mass Effect series. This information primarily comes from an EA job listing for a technical director for Mass Effect 5. That post says the publisher is looking for candidates who have "experience with Unreal Engine [or higher]." I've confirmed through multiple sources that this is because everything is on the table when it comes to tech for a new Mass Effect — and that includes potentially replacing EA's in-house Frostbite engine with Unreal.

It's easy to draw a line from a successful Unreal game [Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order] to EA becoming more open to the idea of working on that engine once again. And that likely is a factor in the decision to explore the possibility of using Epic's software kit on a future entry of BioWare's space opera. But a larger consideration is that EA wants BioWare armed and ready for building a modern Mass Effect game years from now. That means accepting that Frostbite could end up extremely out of date by the time work starts in earnest on Mass Effect 5.

BioWare is currently working on Dragon Age 4. That game is still on track for a 2023 release, according to my sources. That would likely mean we wouldn't see Mass Effect 5 until at least 2025. And even in that optimistic scenario, Frostbite could look creaky and ancient compared to something like Unreal Engine 5.

venturebeat.com

Mass Effect 5 might use Unreal Engine instead of Frostbite

For Mass Effect 5, EA and BioWare are strongly considering replacing Frostbite with Unreal Engine, according to multiple sources.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA is making all the right decisions lately. Forcing (or at least, encouraging) Andromeda to run on Frostbite was a big reason for the way it turned out. Jedi Fallen Order is also on Unreal Engine. If the game was made a few years earlier it probably would've been on Frostbite, too..

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I assume they are referring to the recently announced Mass Effect sequel as 5 and Andromeda as 4?

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
simon-pegg-shaun-of-the-dead.gif

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is much ado about nothing. Of course they're going to say all options are on the table, but miraculously they'll end up choosing Frostbite.

You can't exactly advertise for somebody with Frostbite expertise, because nobody else can use Frostbite. "Have you ever worked for EA in this capacity before? Then come work for us again!" Somehow I don't think that's a recipe for getting a lot of these positions filled.

All the previous ME games used Unreal.
Andromeda was Frostbite.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
strange decision. this would have to be a very different team than Dragon Age with no resource sharing

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I think this is much ado about nothing. Of course they're going to say all options are on the table, but miraculously they'll end up choosing Frostbite.

You can't exactly advertise for somebody with Frostbite expertise, because nobody else can use Frostbite. "Have you ever worked for EA in this capacity before? Then come work for us again!" Somehow I don't think that's a recipe for getting a lot of these positions filled.

Andromeda was Frostbite.

If you take the character animations and some of the models out of the equation, Andromeda with Frostbite looked gorgeous. The open spaces in all the planets, the indoor areas, etc. It still looks good with Max settings.

The real question is: What could the switch to Unreal again provide them, vs all the modules-code they already had to do with Andromeda?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given they say ME is around 2025, I get the feeling it will still end up on Frostbite, depending on how Dragon Age ends up

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
If you take the character animations and some of the models out of the equation, Andromeda with Frostbite looked gorgeous. The open spaces in all the planets, the indoor areas, etc. It still looks good with Max settings.

The real question is: What could the switch to Unreal again provide them, vs all the modules-code they already had to do with Andromeda?

The only difference between proprietary closed tech stack and publicly available tech stack is that the publicly available one requires less onboarding. That's about it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they'll consider different options. But the job listing doesn't mean much when they can't exactly hire people with Frostbite experience unless they only want other EA employees. It's sort of a pointless article for a game that's literally 5/6 years out.

USIGSJ

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda doubt it. Job postings usually mention engines like Unreal or Unity since they are publicly available. Since Frostbyte is proprietary it's kinda hard to expect that someone who hasn't worked at EA has actual experience with it, so logically you would post that you require some general game engine (like Unreal) experience.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It is interesting to see the public perception of the Frostbite tech stack, which is hilarious considering nobody here has ever touched it. :D

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Frostbite sounds like a nightmare in Blood, Sweat, and Pixels. I don't feel like it ever did anything outside of Battlefield and Battlefront any favors.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
In some ways. There was some not-so-great stuff going on too.

But the reality is that there are any number of people who left BioWare after working on Andromeda (on the technical side) who basically said it was the worst experience of their career. Frostbite delivers results, but it was not easy or painless for them.

Maybe it will be different now that they said Anthem is the baseline for the systems they'll be using (and obviously the toolchain has to have evolved over the past decade or so since they started using it). But they get to make that determination, and UE5 is there if they need it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting to see the public perception of the Frostbite tech stack, which is hilarious considering nobody here has ever touched it. :D

tbf, while that is true, it's not as if there aren't a fair share of horror stories from those who did touch it. Which is not to say it's bad, but to paint it as just an uniformed public perception seems unfair to a degree.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't see any Mass Effect game ever using any Unreal Engine, it just wouldn't work.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the job listing is going to ask for familiarity with Unreal Engine. Unless someone worked at EA and left they wouldn't have much hands-on time with Frostbite, so if you're hiring for someone with the skillset sought after they're going to have most likely been working in Unreal. The assertion at the end of the article that Frostbite will look ancient in 2025 when the tools could and likely are being updated to where we might see a 4.0 in the future shows what kind of low quality bait an article like this is.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I mean it's a little late. At this point, they've already spent years and multiple projects turning the Frostbite engine into something suitable for an RPG game. So they might as well continue to use and refine it, especially if Dragon Age 4 is being developed on it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think there were some articles related to Andromeda where someone working on the game said it couldn't do shit related to the making of a RPG out of the box and how it lacked an animation system. I'm on my phone so I can't find it easily but I know someone blamed the engine publicly and it led to that perception

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The only difference between proprietary closed tech stack and publicly available tech stack is that the publicly available one requires less onboarding. That's about it.

Yeah that makes sense, its similar in most other areas in the tech industry. People are usually not tied to a specific tech, most are tech-agnostic. If they already know how to do something, a new tech-stack just means initial time at the start (training-on-boarding-kt)

I think that reverting back to Unreal for an Andromeda project would be a bigger milestone (more expensive in Time-Cost-Scope) in their plan. With Frostbite they could focus in improving the specific pain points we all know from Andromeda.

Then again, maybe the "training people on Frosbite" its the biggest pain point and switching back to Unreal would facility massive on-boarding and quicker initial turnarounds.

Interesting.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I just can't see any Mass Effect game ever using any Unreal Engine, it just wouldn't work.

That makes no sense. Unless you're talking about something from a few decades ago, tech stacks are so powerful and flexible now to empower you to make any game you want.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Well we've read the articles/books and seen the YouTube videos with ex-Bioware devs that all talked about the studio's difficulties with using Frostbite to make its last 3 games.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The assertion at the end of the article that Frostbite will look ancient in 2025 when the tools could and likely are being updated to where we might see a 4.0 in the future shows what kind of low quality bait an article like this is.
Imagine being the person who thinks Frostbite will ever not deliver cutting-edge visuals.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given Dragon Age is post-Star Wars, I'm willing to bet if it was still a dumpster fire after Anthem, they wouldn't be using it still

Deleted member 10119

Banned
Aug 8, 2021
EA is making all the right decisions lately. Forcing (or at least, encouraging) Andromeda to run on Frostbite was a big reason for the way it turned out. Jedi Fallen Order is also on Unreal Engine. If the game was made a few years earlier it probably would've been on Frostbite, too..
Idk, Frostbite has some potential.
There were definitely moments in Andromeda where I thought "wow, I wish ME1-3 was built on this engine with this style of gameplay".

But of course it is also the reason the game came out buggy and in bad shape.

USIGSJ

Oct 26, 2017
Unreal is not a "solve all" magical engine, it has the same constraints all engines share.

Exactly.

My take from that Kotaku article is that Andromeda mostly suffered from them going after procedurally generated planets like No Man Sky or SC so they essentially lost 2013-2015 on that. Since game it came out in March 2017. that's not really a lot of time to build everything from scratch so no wonder it all fell apart.

By the end of 2015, Mass Effect: Andromeda's leads realized that the procedural system wasn't working out. Flying through space and landing on randomly generated planets still seemed like a cool concept—and by then, many people at BioWare were looking with great interest at No Man's Sky—but they couldn't make it work. So they decided to rescope.

kotaku.com

The Story Behind Mass Effect: Andromeda's Troubled Five-Year Development

In 2012, as work on Mass Effect 3 came to a close, a small group of top BioWare employees huddled to talk about the next entry in their epic sci-fi franchise. Their goal, they decided, was to make a game about exploration—one that would dig into the untapped potential of the first three games...

Sure when they first got their hands of it in 2011. it didn't have tools they needed so some time was lost there too, but essentially if they used any other engine and tried to do full sized procedural planets it would probably ended the same way.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Of course the job listing is going to ask for familiarity with Unreal Engine. Unless someone worked at EA and left they wouldn't have much hands-on time with Frostbite, so if you're hiring for someone with the skillset sought after they're going to have most likely been working in Unreal. The assertion at the end of the article that Frostbite will look ancient in 2025 when the tools could and likely are being updated to where we might see a 4.0 in the future shows what kind of low quality bait an article like this is.

I feel this generally has to do with the fact that we do not have to make any advertising about our tech stack, since we're not trying to sell it to anyone. So no need to make fancy press events or presentations or eye candy.

It's the same rule for any other internal tech stack, basically, you don't really see any press about Blizzard's tech, or Ubisoft's, or whatever. It's only Unity and Unreal that get most mainstream eyes on, as they are the only "mainstream" tech available out there. :D